Is there any way to use the MATCH function with more than 1 column

For example, =MATCH(215, Y3:Y51, 0) will search from Y3 to Y51 for the value
215, but my data set spans more than one column.

My data set ranges from A3 to Z51, and the function =MATCH(215, A3:Z51, 0)
returns an #N/A error. What can I do?
0
MrSnrub (7)

Do you want both the row and column ? Two separate values?
--
Gary's Student

"Mr. Snrub" wrote:

> For example, =MATCH(215, Y3:Y51, 0) will search from Y3 to Y51 for the value
> 215, but my data set spans more than one column.
>
> My data set ranges from A3 to Z51, and the function =MATCH(215, A3:Z51, 0)
> returns an #N/A error. What can I do?
0
GarysStudent (1572)
5/22/2005 1:53:16 PM
yes
0
MrSnrub (7)
5/22/2005 4:08:02 PM
In cell A52 enter =MATCH(215,A3:A51,0)
Then copy this formula from B52 through Z52.
If there is only one instance of 215 in the data area, then all the formulae
will show #N/A except one.

For example, if the 215 is in cell C15, then C52 will show 13.  Thus we know
that the 215 is in column C and is in the thirteenth row of the data block
(fifteenth row of the worksheet.
--
Gary's Student

"Mr. Snrub" wrote:

> yes
0
GarysStudent (1572)
5/22/2005 5:37:34 PM
great. thank you.
0
MrSnrub (7)

how can I compare contents of columns in excel?
I have two excel files viz. file-A and -B. One of the columns of File-A contains chemical names which is also contained in one of the File-B columns.There are a lot more chemical names in the latter file than in the former. What I would like to do is to transfer additional pertinent information from columns in File-B to new columns in File-A on the basis of the chemical names found in File-A. At the end of the exercise I would have a file with the same number of chemicals but with more information. How can I do it? Your help would be much appreciated. Take a look at the =vlookup() ...

Best Way ?
G'day All, Looking for some information. With Outlook you can have all your contacts...address, email address, yada, yada, yada. Can I use this information in to say mail merge with Word and email a letter to the ppl with email addresses? Or is this better done with a Access? The reason I ask is that we want to deliver an email to all our clients with the latest promotions. And want it to be a bit more automated? Any information or pointers in the right direction would be appreciated. Have a good one, Scott V You can use either Access or Outlook as the data source for a ma...

'Recently used file' list.
When I open Excel nine filenames appear on the RHS as 'recently used files' (this number was set via Tools/Options/General, of course). In the middle of this list are 3 no-longer-used files. Though the files themselves have been deleted their names remain in this list. Is there an easy way to remove those entries from that list, please? TIA, DB. There is an entry in the help file "Display or hide recently used workbooks on the File menu" which says uncheck the 'recently used files' checkbox, the click OK. Then, basically, start again. "DB.&...

Is there a way to color code Outlook Contact File Folder Labels?
Is there a way to color code Outlook Contact File Folder Labels? No. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Join OneNote Tips mailing list: http://www.onenote-tips.net/ "isailhbca" <isailhbca@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4DBD10F7-FAA0-4102-A4C3-E2697908EFE8@microsoft.com... >...

Selecting and moving chart(s) within a worksheet using keyboard ke
Hi all, I have created some charts in a worksheet. I would like to be able to do the following if possible: 1. I have selected a chart (by clicking on the chart and handles appeared around the perimeter of the chart). What I would like to do is to be able to select the chart using keyboard short-cut and to move the chart around the worksheet also using keyboard keys rather than the mouse. At the moment I can only move it (a single chart) using the mouse. However strangely enough, if I select two or more charts (Shift+ Lt.Click) I am able to then use the arrow keys to move the chart. ...

A way to create sub-categories?

Newsreader when using Outlook
I'm just transition to Outlook (from OE). Just wondering about news-readers. I use OE as a news-reader at the moment. But it's not apparent that that is possible in Outlook proper. If this is so - what are Outlook user's doing in this reagards? Many thanks. === Phil (NZ) You are in luck. OE is the news reader for Outlook. Always has been. Always will be. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Phil Jones" <phil_newsgroup@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23lEn6sibFHA.2756@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > I'm just transition to Outlook (from OE). > > Just...

Add Publish Column to Enterprise Template
I've tried to add the Publish column set to the value of Yes to an Enterprise project template but the column will not save. Any ideas? -- Carla Evans Presbyterian Health Plan Hi Carla, This worked for me. What error message(s) did you get? -- Thanks, Ben. Microsoft Most Valuable Professional http://appleparkltd.spaces.live.com/ "Carla Evans" wrote: > I've tried to add the Publish column set to the value of Yes to an Enterprise > project template but the column will not save. Any ideas? > -- > Carla Evans > Presbyterian Healt...

is there a way to crop a corner out of a rectangular image in Visi
Using subtract on two shapes accomplishes what i want to do, but when the first shape is a .gif image, it does not work. No, the "boolean operations", as they're called, do not operate on foreign objects like bitmaps and controls. Visio has crop functionality for imported graphics, but it is only rectangular. You could draw a small white triangle and give it "no line". Then place it over the corner of your bitmap. -- Hope this helps, Chris Roth Visio MVP "doug" <doug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:29D479A6-6099-4051-B7A0-1...

Need Help with Irregular IRR function
I am doing a big project for work that requires inputing a whole bunc of irregular cash inflows and outflows over a period of about 3 years. I tried ordering all the cash flows chronologically so that it woul look like: Date Cash Flow and the outflows were negative, inflows were positive. I thought I covered all the possible problems, but I was wrong becaus Excel kept telling me that when i selected all the values, (Cash Flo and/or date) I had an error because I was dividing by Zero. I trie taking out all the zero values for cash flow, but still I got the sam result. I didn't att...

Help with custom search form
I have a search form that retrieves records in a subform based on criteria entered into unbound text boxes on the main/parent form. The subform is tied to a SQL recordset that contains a field called “Select”. The field’s datatype is Yes/No. On the main form I have a button called “View Selected” with the following code in the OnClick event: Private Sub cmdViewSelected_Click() On Error GoTo Err_cmdViewSelected_Click Dim i As Integer i = DCount("ProjectId", "ProjectTbl", "[Select] = " & True) If i = 0 Then MsgBox "No Record(s...

Use tiltle in a cell
Is there a way to use the title of the spreadsheet as a cell value? I asked this before in another topic, but there was no reply. My sheet get's it's title from a database and is variable. So if i can use the title i can strip several characters from the title and use this. So I want to retrieve the title of the spreadsheet and use this in a cell. Thanks! The name of a worksheet can be extracted to a cell with: =MID(CELL("Filename",A1),FIND("]",CELL("Filename",A1))+1,255) best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from em...

Re: How can I stop Outlook to run subsequent rules from VBA function bound to currently running rule
And I thought to use Rule's olRuleActionStop in VBA. . Submitted using http://www.outlookforums.com ...

is there a way to change the time card repor format?
i'm using activereports in RMS to generate a custome timecard report. for my timein and timeout colums, the datatype i have assigned to the columns is vbDate. when I generate the report, the columns only show the date as mm/dd/yyyy, they do not show the time of day piece for exactly when the cashier punched in or out. is there any way to change the formatting of this so that in the report the time shows up? for example, instead of showing 2/6/2005 in the time in column, it would show 2/5/2005 8:00:00 AM. thanks in advance, kevin There is a timecard report on the Reports Library...

Using DoCmd.SendObject
Hi, My default e-mail client is outlook2007 and configured to connect to an Exchange server.Is there any possibility of DoCmd.SendObject open Vista Windows Mail instead of Outlook 2007? If no, can someone tell me another procedure to do that. Thanks CJA Tony Toews has some good info here about various approaches to sending email from Access: http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/email.htm -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org. "CJA" <car...

Can You Count This Way?
I have some cells with note type data: For ex: ax,3b7,22,xy,zz, Is there a way to count every item between the commas? Thanks. Hi try =LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,",","")+LEN(A1)>0 -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Timothy Wright wrote: > I have some cells with note type data: > > For ex: > > ax,3b7,22,xy,zz, > > Is there a way to count every item between the commas? > > Thanks. On Wed, 19 May 2004 20:13:53 +0200, "Frank Kabel" <frank.kabel@freenet.de> wrote: >Hi >try >=LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,&q...

Only able to get 1 email downloaded
I have both Outlook 2002 and Outlook Express set up with multiple accounts with Road Runner. Whenever I do a send/receive, I able to only receive 1 message per session. I would have to re-start my computer to get another. I have 3 accounts and it seems only 2 get processed and the server gets interrupted (per error message). I am using windows xp and have Norton Internet Security if that matters. I tried not having emails scanned, disabling the firewall and anti-virus but same results. Please help. ...

How to generate a mailbox list file to use in scheduled ExMerge
Hi! Anyone know how I can generate a file that contains a list of mailboxes to be used with scheduled ExMerge? I tried to interactively run ExMerge, then cancell the program halfway, but it does not create the file I need. An alternative for creating the file would be to use an LDAP query in a script -- if anyone can help with that as well. Thanks MosesM On Wed, 4 Jan 2006 11:05:04 -0800, MosesM <MosesM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi! Anyone know how I can generate a file that contains a list of mailboxes >to be used with scheduled ExMerge? I tried to interactively ru...

Uses for Autotext Cleanup

best way to deserialize xml
I'm at a quandry as to what's the best/fastest way to deserialize an incoming xml stream? I ran a small test on xmlserializer and on a small file it performed 10 times worse then when I used the XMLDocument and deserialized the values myself. Is the xmlserializer really that slow? I'm expecting a file about 1 MB in length and if it's that slow on a 2 K file then I can't phantom how it's going to behave on a 1 MB file. Should I just skip the xmlserializer and XML Dom and go straight to xmlreader and do the deserialization myself? This has been discussed a few times...

Microsoft Office on Mac using Bootcamp or Microsoft for Mac products?
I'm a new Mac user - just got a new Intel Core 2 Duo processor MacBook. I went ahead and bought the Office for Mac and installed everything. My main problem/question is that I find I can't do as many things in Entourage as I could in Outlook. (For instance, can't change colors and customize calendar as well, can't set up as many defaults like what view I want Entourage to open in.) I was thinking about using bootcamp and trying to go back to my Outlook I used to love. Any advice as to whether this is a good idea or bad idea? Also, keep in mind that I am synching successful...

Using OE with my Juno e-mail account
I use Juno e-mail but I noticed that I also have Outlook Express on my computer which I would prefer to use. Is there a way to send and receive e-mail using OE but keeping my Juno address and service? I have a standard dial-up connection. OS is Win98SE. If this is possible, I would need simple, step-by-step instructions for setting it up. Thank you, Relztrah Try posting this in an Outlook Express news group - this is not one of them. Outlook is a part of Microsoft Office and is what this group supports. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and has its own news groups. You ca...

Is there a way to Sort data by color in Excel?
I am trying to sort data by color, is that possible? see http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.ColourCounter.html#sorting -- HTH Bob Phillips "SRTUC" <SRTUC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B5121232-FB1D-46AF-94F8-04B7EAA2D90C@microsoft.com... > I am trying to sort data by color, is that possible? You're gonna need a User defined function to get the value of a color. See Chip Pearson's site for a nice version: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/colors.htm Look for: Returning The ColorIndex Of A Cell Then you could use that UDF in a separate colu...

Sizing the Chart Sheet using VBA
Hi all, I'm attempting some code that will take the height and width values from an active Word table cell, and then use them to adjust the page margins of an active Excel chart sheet, with the end result being both the Word cell and Excel chart sheet share identical dimensions. Unfortunately, the code seems a little beyond me. Is it possible? Any help (or code) much appreciated ... Best wishes to all, Rich ...

Fastest way to load an xml file into an array in .net