I have a 4 column spreadsheet.

I want to be able to click the heading for each of the columns to hav
them sort by that column if clicked.  How do I do that

Hi
why not used the soprt icon for this.
Note: This could screw up your sorting if Excel does not recognize your
database columns correctly

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

> I have a 4 column spreadsheet.
>
> I want to be able to click the heading for each of the columns to
have
> them sort by that column if clicked.  How do I do that?
>

> ---

frank.kabel (11126)
5/30/2004 3:56:33 PM
Sorry, I have no idea what that is.  Can you explain

Hi
just click in one column and click on the sort icon in the menu bar

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

> Sorry, I have no idea what that is.  Can you explain?
>

> ---
frank.kabel (11126)
5/30/2004 4:34:54 PM
Would suggest not to do it this way!

Works most of the time, but not *every* time, and it only takes *once* to
screw up your data.
--
Regards,

RD

> Hi
> just click in one column and click on the sort icon in the menu bar
>
> --
> Regards
> Frank Kabel
> Frankfurt, Germany
>

> > Sorry, I have no idea what that is.  Can you explain?
> >

> > ---
> > Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/

0
ragdyer1 (4060)
5/30/2004 4:44:32 PM
Hi RD
totally agree with you (as mentioned in my first post).
For the OP. Best way:
- select your complete data range
- goto 'Data - Sort' and choose your sorting columns

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

Ragdyer wrote:
> Would suggest not to do it this way!
>
> Works most of the time, but not *every* time, and it only takes
> *once* to screw up your data.

------
> Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may
> benefit !
------
> "Frank Kabel" <frank.kabel@freenet.de> wrote in message
>> Hi
>> just click in one column and click on the sort icon in the menu bar
>>
>> --
>> Regards
>> Frank Kabel
>> Frankfurt, Germany
>>

>>> Sorry, I have no idea what that is.  Can you explain?
>>>

>>> ---
>>> Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/

0
frank.kabel (11126)
5/30/2004 4:48:03 PM
This link puts rectangles over the cells in row 1 (for 10 columns--but you can
change that).

Then it assigns a macro to each shape that sorts by the column that holds the
shape.

It uses column A to determine how many rows the range contains:

http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=3ECEA82E.329F38F2%40msn.com

"niemie <" wrote:

> I have a 4 column spreadsheet.
>
> I want to be able to click the heading for each of the columns to have
> them sort by that column if clicked.  How do I do that?
>
> ---

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com
0
ec35720 (10082)

VLookup on multiple columns
Hi I want to carry out a Vertical Lookup but the Lookup Value is contained in 2 columns. Can this be done or would it be best to Concatenate the 2 columns into one? Thanks Shirley Munro -- Shirley Munro ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Shirley Munro's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=836 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=493021 Without a specific example, it's difficult to give you specific help... Meanwhile, I believe this website will get you headed in the righ...

how can I compare contents of columns in excel?
I have two excel files viz. file-A and -B. One of the columns of File-A contains chemical names which is also contained in one of the File-B columns.There are a lot more chemical names in the latter file than in the former. What I would like to do is to transfer additional pertinent information from columns in File-B to new columns in File-A on the basis of the chemical names found in File-A. At the end of the exercise I would have a file with the same number of chemicals but with more information. How can I do it? Your help would be much appreciated. Take a look at the =vlookup() ...

Best Way ?
G'day All, Looking for some information. With Outlook you can have all your contacts...address, email address, yada, yada, yada. Can I use this information in to say mail merge with Word and email a letter to the ppl with email addresses? Or is this better done with a Access? The reason I ask is that we want to deliver an email to all our clients with the latest promotions. And want it to be a bit more automated? Any information or pointers in the right direction would be appreciated. Have a good one, Scott V You can use either Access or Outlook as the data source for a ma...

sORTING #6
Hi i want to auto sort a league range C4:G19, i have tried the auto sort routine:- Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range If Not Intersect(Target, Range("C4:G19")) Is Nothing The Range("C4:G19").Sort Key1:=Columns("G" End I End Su Which works ok if i input the figures into the league, but the league is updated from a seperate sheet using the IF command, but the league doesnt auto sort from a seperate shee Any clues please I think it would kind of drive me nuts to have it sort automatically (I run your macro on demand.) But try putting your sort st...

Is there a way to color code Outlook Contact File Folder Labels?
Is there a way to color code Outlook Contact File Folder Labels? No. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Join OneNote Tips mailing list: http://www.onenote-tips.net/ "isailhbca" <isailhbca@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4DBD10F7-FAA0-4102-A4C3-E2697908EFE8@microsoft.com... >...

A way to create sub-categories?

Add Publish Column to Enterprise Template
I've tried to add the Publish column set to the value of Yes to an Enterprise project template but the column will not save. Any ideas? -- Carla Evans Presbyterian Health Plan Hi Carla, This worked for me. What error message(s) did you get? -- Thanks, Ben. Microsoft Most Valuable Professional http://appleparkltd.spaces.live.com/ "Carla Evans" wrote: > I've tried to add the Publish column set to the value of Yes to an Enterprise > project template but the column will not save. Any ideas? > -- > Carla Evans > Presbyterian Healt...

Money 2006 Deluxe Bills Summary Sorting
When in the Bills Summary view and I sort on Account, not all of the line items with the same account are grouped. Upon further review, it appears that duplicate line items with the same Payee, Next Due, Amount, etc are being created and not properly sorted by Account. When I resort based upon Next Due, these duplicates go away and the line items are properly sorted by Next Due (ascending or descending). When i've seen this before, it can mean corruption in the file. Because you can see those additional bills, you have the opportunity to delete these duplicates if you are seeing ...

is there a way to crop a corner out of a rectangular image in Visi
Using subtract on two shapes accomplishes what i want to do, but when the first shape is a .gif image, it does not work. No, the "boolean operations", as they're called, do not operate on foreign objects like bitmaps and controls. Visio has crop functionality for imported graphics, but it is only rectangular. You could draw a small white triangle and give it "no line". Then place it over the corner of your bitmap. -- Hope this helps, Chris Roth Visio MVP "doug" <doug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:29D479A6-6099-4051-B7A0-1...

is there a way to change the time card repor format?
i'm using activereports in RMS to generate a custome timecard report. for my timein and timeout colums, the datatype i have assigned to the columns is vbDate. when I generate the report, the columns only show the date as mm/dd/yyyy, they do not show the time of day piece for exactly when the cashier punched in or out. is there any way to change the formatting of this so that in the report the time shows up? for example, instead of showing 2/6/2005 in the time in column, it would show 2/5/2005 8:00:00 AM. thanks in advance, kevin There is a timecard report on the Reports Library...

When refreshed, some Pivot Table columns retain formatting, some d
I have not had trouble with retaining column widths and column heading formats (font size, word wrap, alignment) in Pivot Tabl. When refreshed, they retain formatting. Here's the weird part, when I add or insert a new data column into the Pivot Table by checking from field list, that new data column does not retain column heading formats (font size, word wrap and alignment settign) like the original columns do. It does however preserver its column width and number formatting. Why is that? How do I tell Excel to preserve column heading formats for newly added ones? I...

Can't add new columns
This has been a problem with my worksheets and those of others in my office, especially if converted from lotus 123 originally. When trying to insert new columns in a worksheet, get the error message: "To prevent possible loss of data, Excel cannot shift nonblank shells off the worksheet. Try to locate the last nonblank cell by pressing CRTL + END and delete or clear all cells in between the last cell and the end of your data. Then select cell A1 and save your workbook to reset the last cell used. Or you can move the data to a new location and try again." Even when you do t...

Copying Multiple Pages
I was wondering if you can copy multiple pages of a Publisher document (Office 2003) at the same time and paste them into another document / or merge two documents together. Many thanks for your time Open the Office clipboard from the Edit menu, you will be able to collect 24 items. Be aware if your text boxes are linked you will not get the paste you want. Break the link, all the text will be shifted to the first text box even though you will not be able to see all of it. Create new text boxes in your new publication, link them again. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microso...

How do you sort in Excel by 1, 1a, 1b, 1c, ...2, 2a?
I want to sort a list of numbers in excel but I want 1A to be in between 1 & 2. Hos do I do that? I tried setting up a custom list, but no luck. To get the sort order you want all the items must be text. For example, select A1:A3. Use Format, Cells and select Text as the number format. Enter 1, 2, 1a in the cells and then click the Sort button on the Standard toolbar. The order should sort to 1, 1a, 2. -- Jim Rech Excel MVP "MChapAcct" <MChapAcct@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2A7B3324-66D0-4DA0-A339-55FA29F3FD1A@microsoft.com... |I want to so...

Re balances change when sorting by month!!!!!!
it is money 2005 In microsoft.public.money, Travis Hedrick wrote: >When i am looking at my transactions over the past 3 months or even a year, if I decide to change the registry view to sort by a month, it changes all my balances and throws everything off. Can someone please help me out? Money 2004? --------------= Posted using GrabIt =---------------- ------= Binary Usenet downloading made easy =--------- -= Get GrabIt for free from http://www.shemes.com/ =- Just re-sort it back by date "Travis Hedrick" wrote: > it is money 2005 > > In microsoft.public.mo...

best way to deserialize xml
I'm at a quandry as to what's the best/fastest way to deserialize an incoming xml stream? I ran a small test on xmlserializer and on a small file it performed 10 times worse then when I used the XMLDocument and deserialized the values myself. Is the xmlserializer really that slow? I'm expecting a file about 1 MB in length and if it's that slow on a 2 K file then I can't phantom how it's going to behave on a 1 MB file. Should I just skip the xmlserializer and XML Dom and go straight to xmlreader and do the deserialization myself? This has been discussed a few times...

Can You Count This Way?
I have some cells with note type data: For ex: ax,3b7,22,xy,zz, Is there a way to count every item between the commas? Thanks. Hi try =LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,",","")+LEN(A1)>0 -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Timothy Wright wrote: > I have some cells with note type data: > > For ex: > > ax,3b7,22,xy,zz, > > Is there a way to count every item between the commas? > > Thanks. On Wed, 19 May 2004 20:13:53 +0200, "Frank Kabel" <frank.kabel@freenet.de> wrote: >Hi >try >=LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,&q...

Is there a way to Sort data by color in Excel?
I am trying to sort data by color, is that possible? see http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.ColourCounter.html#sorting -- HTH Bob Phillips "SRTUC" <SRTUC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B5121232-FB1D-46AF-94F8-04B7EAA2D90C@microsoft.com... > I am trying to sort data by color, is that possible? You're gonna need a User defined function to get the value of a color. See Chip Pearson's site for a nice version: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/colors.htm Look for: Returning The ColorIndex Of A Cell Then you could use that UDF in a separate colu...

Multiple Mailboxes
I have a member of staff that has two laptops open consecutively, both with the same Exchange mailbox running via Outlook. (Why? Dont ask...!) He originally installed them both as Cached Exchange Mode. However both inbox views are different and if he receives a mail it can sometimes arrive on either laptop, but not both. We have adjusted the mailbox to not be Cached Exchange Mode, but the problem still occurs. Apart from telling him to use one, is there an answer to why this happens? Cheers in advance! Answered in Exchange.Admin group. "Lee" <lee@microsoft.com> wrote in...

Is there a convenient way to save data
Is there a convenient way to save dialog data so it remembers the users last selection? I have a dialog based application that only has three user variables all of which are ints. What is the best way to make theses variables persistent for a given user on a given machine? Thanks "Jeff B" <jb@nospan.net> wrote in message news:fpDif.10451$Ay6.2336@fe13.lga... > > Is there a convenient way to save dialog data so it remembers the users last > selection? I have a dialog based application that only has three user > variables all of which are ints. What is the best w...

Multiple Discount Reason Codes per line item
Please add the ability at the POS to assign multiple reason codes per line item for customer discounts. Many times there is both an item discount and a transaction discount that need to be assigned to a single line item. This would allow more flexible reporting and tracking. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader a...

Customer Relationship
CRM 3.0 If a user opens up the Account or Contact entity, the Relatinoships icon in the left menu is available. When clicking the Relationships icon, a view of existing Customer Relationships is displayed. Our implementation shows 4 columns (as I believe everyones' does): Party 1, Role 1, Role 2, Party 2. A while back, users had the ability to click on those column headers to sort the records how they wanted. But for some reason, the application today has no default sort order and does not allow the selection of a column header at all. The only thing one of our end users could...

Sorting Colums into alphabetical order
I'm trying to sort 50 columns into alphabetical order. The first column contains a name and each column has a formula, How do I arrange the columns into order and make sure all the info in the columns moves with the names? TIA tox Save first--just in case this doesn't work! If you select your range (last row of headers plus all the rows of details) and all the columns in the range you want sorted, then excel should handle it nicely. Sometimes you can get lucky and excel will guess the correct range to sort. I've always felt better by selecting my range first and not letting ...

Fastest way to load an xml file into an array in .net

sorting rows wich can vary in number
Hello, Im working on a standard excel sheet wich is going to be used in many projects. Because of this de row count can vary. I have to do sort functions in these rows, therefor i made a macro and copied this macro under a commandbutton. This works perfectly. BUT how can I make something like this with a variable row count??? Thanks in advance.... Hi why not sore the entire columns (just make the range big enough) "Bart" wrote: > Hello, > > Im working on a standard excel sheet wich is going to be used in many > projects. Because of this de row count can vary...