I have a 4 column spreadsheet.

I want to be able to click the heading for each of the columns to hav
them sort by that column if clicked.  How do I do that

Hi
why not used the soprt icon for this.
Note: This could screw up your sorting if Excel does not recognize your
database columns correctly

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

> I have a 4 column spreadsheet.
>
> I want to be able to click the heading for each of the columns to
have
> them sort by that column if clicked.  How do I do that?
>

> ---

frank.kabel (11126)
5/30/2004 3:56:33 PM
Sorry, I have no idea what that is.  Can you explain

Hi
just click in one column and click on the sort icon in the menu bar

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

> Sorry, I have no idea what that is.  Can you explain?
>

> ---
frank.kabel (11126)
5/30/2004 4:34:54 PM
Would suggest not to do it this way!

Works most of the time, but not *every* time, and it only takes *once* to
screw up your data.
--
Regards,

RD

> Hi
> just click in one column and click on the sort icon in the menu bar
>
> --
> Regards
> Frank Kabel
> Frankfurt, Germany
>

> > Sorry, I have no idea what that is.  Can you explain?
> >

> > ---
> > Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/

0
ragdyer1 (4060)
5/30/2004 4:44:32 PM
Hi RD
totally agree with you (as mentioned in my first post).
For the OP. Best way:
- select your complete data range
- goto 'Data - Sort' and choose your sorting columns

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

Ragdyer wrote:
> Would suggest not to do it this way!
>
> Works most of the time, but not *every* time, and it only takes
> *once* to screw up your data.

------
> Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may
> benefit !
------
> "Frank Kabel" <frank.kabel@freenet.de> wrote in message
>> Hi
>> just click in one column and click on the sort icon in the menu bar
>>
>> --
>> Regards
>> Frank Kabel
>> Frankfurt, Germany
>>

>>> Sorry, I have no idea what that is.  Can you explain?
>>>

>>> ---
>>> Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/

0
frank.kabel (11126)
5/30/2004 4:48:03 PM
This link puts rectangles over the cells in row 1 (for 10 columns--but you can
change that).

Then it assigns a macro to each shape that sorts by the column that holds the
shape.

It uses column A to determine how many rows the range contains:

http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=3ECEA82E.329F38F2%40msn.com

"niemie <" wrote:

> I have a 4 column spreadsheet.
>
> I want to be able to click the heading for each of the columns to have
> them sort by that column if clicked.  How do I do that?
>
> ---

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com
0
ec35720 (10082)

trying to figure out a two way lookup to determine a value
I have a large spreadsheet that lists numerous customers. Each custtomer has a code for the service that we provide them and then has a price negotiated at the time of service. We are have set up a price list that gives the service code, in a vertical column and then has a range of dollar values for each service code (about 20 separate codes) ranging from $0 to $75 broken up in 5 grade (E,D,C,B, A) categories. The pricing is different ranges for each service code. What I need to do is have each customer line, take their code, find a match in the Price LIst code, the take the price they are pa...

Any way to count cells contining one, or more STRIKETHROUGHS?
Hi, I'm using XL2002 and am looking to count the number of cells in a column that have words struck out. In my case all the words in each cell are either all struck out, or none are struck out. First I can't figure out what character a strikethrough is, anyone know? And I can't get the CODE because excel will only return the code for the first character in a cell, which is nothing when there is nothing in the cell, even if you pre-select strikethrough from format cells. In the end I'm looking to make an array formula that will tell me how many cells have a strikethrough AND ...

IMF Sender Filtering tab
I added the email addresses of several legitimate senders whose emails were being placed in the UCEArchive folder to the sender filtering tab in IMF. I checked the box, "Accept messages without notifying sender of filtering." This worked well as a safe senders list and allowed emails to pass through that otherwise would have been send to the UCEArchive folder. However, emails from 2 senders were being routinely rejected, even though I had the box mentioned above checked. When I was first troubleshooting this I didn't think to remove them from the sender filtering tab b...

Any way to Paste without Relative reposition?
I often want to copy and paste a block of cells, but still have their references point to the same cells as the original copied block. By default, Excel changes all the references by the position change of the copy block. For example if I copy a column of cells A that refers column M on another worksheet, and paste it 3 columns to the right in column D, all its references will now refer column P on that other worksheet. What if I still want them to refer to column M? I know I can do this one cell at a time by selecting the formula text in the cell and pasting that, but if I have a larg...

How to set up multiple reminders
If I set up an event for next Wednesday, how do I get reminder popups to occur for multiple days (i.e. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday), but still only show the Wednesday event on the calendar? Sorry for such a basic question. Jim you'd need to reset the remind each do so it would go off the next day. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange: mailto:EM...

Offline way to find Wifi Hotspots with Microsoft applications
We publish a monthly database that runs on laptops, PDAs, and smartphones and includes the location of thousands of WiFI Hotspots. its free, its updated monthly and we also include tips on more effective use of wifi in each month's update www.riverwalkmobile.com ...

Is there a way to turn off the prompts of a make table query?
I merely want to update the table to be used as an export to Excel using TransferSpreadsheet. Each time it prompts for deleting old records and adding new records. Is there a was to turn off the prompts? Bottom line - I want to create an Macro to export the output of a query to an Excel spreadsheet. BobC, DoCmd.SetWarnings False 'Off Your TransferSpreadsheet line here DoCmd.SetWarnings True 'On -- Gina Whipp "I feel I have been denied critical, need to know, information!" - Tremors II http://www.regina-whipp.com/index_files/TipList.htm "...

Select player from list and get his position in next column
Hi I am trying to make excell put a player position next to his name when i select him from a drop down list, I have 30 players and 4 positions, i can do it with the "IF" but it only lets me do one player. Please Help You can use a VLookup formula to return the player position from a list of players and their positions. There's information on VLookup in Excel's Help, and here: http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html Massivemike wrote: > Hi > I am trying to make excell put a player position next to his name when i > select him from a drop down list, ...

Receiving multiple copies of messages
I installed Outlook Live several days ago. I have not been using Microsoft Outlook fro quite some time. For the first few days, my messages were downloading normally. All of a sudden, Outlook has started downloading multiple copies of the same message. I do not have any filters set up, so this cannot be a filter issue. I have 4 pop accounts set up, 1 MAPI account (Hotmail) and 1 IMAP account. The majority of my mail is received from my Hotmail account. The pop accounts are all set up with the option to leave messages on the server until I empty the deleted items folder. My IMAP...

need macro to filter data from multiple sheets in a worksheet
In sheet 1 I have about 15,000 rows in the following columns A1(Unique id) A2 Names of persons A3 Address A4 Amount for the year 2005 A5 Amount for the year 2006 A6 Amount for the year 2007 (Blank / no date) In sheet 2 i have 22,500 rows and have following columns A1 (Unique id) A2 Names of person A3 Address A4 Amount for the year 2007 Same above column in sheet 3, sheet 4 and sheet 5 I have to update the rows of column A6 of sheet 1 through column A4 of sheet 2, sheet 3, sheet 4 and sheet 5 Please help to filter the data Hi Guys, Please help to sort the qurey. I need t...

stopping columns for one page
I am creating a several page document in two column format. There is one = page in the middle the I want to be a full width, but I can't figure out = how to=20 do this without making the previous pages also full page. How do I "turn off" the columns for a page or partial page within a=20 document? Thank you. In article <344101c4ae30$f4251270$a601280a@phx.gbl>, "montrois@twcny.rr.com" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I am creating a several page document in two column format. There is one > page in the middle the I want to be a ful...

ADC
we are migrating from 5.5 to 2003. The new 2003 org is new - not the same as the 5.5 and all our addresses are changing as well. We did a one way 5.5>E2K3 once, now management wants a two way as we begin to move more and more people. I've manually been putting CR's in 5.5. What are the pitfalls and issues that I may face with a 2 way. Nancy Stevens Nstevens@tycoint.com "Nancy Stevens" <nstevens@tycoint.com> wrote: >we are migrating from 5.5 to 2003. The new 2003 org is new - not the same >as the 5.5 and all our addresses are changing as well. W...

advanced comparison between columns
Hi, I was wondering if somebody knows the answer to my problem, which i the following: I have a dataset of 100 columns, each representing a year. Every ro represents a house, that has been sold several times during those 10 years. For example, if a house is sold in 1843 for $3000, next in 187 for $4000 and in 1900 for $10000, I would like to compute the return for each of those transactions. The problem is that there are varying numbers of columns between th columns in which the transactions are recorded, that contain no values Does anybody know how to compute the differences between thes...

After sorting & renumbering Project tasks they revert to old IDs
After sorting and permanently renumbering Project tasks they initially look fine, but when I save it and open the file again it has reverted to old ID numbers. I cannot duplicate here on Project Professional 2003, 2007, 2010. Please verify you have all the latest service packs installed, etc. If this does not correct the issue, please post back and state what version you are running including service packs. -- If this post was helpful, please consider rating it. Jim Aksel, MVP Check out my blog for more information: http://www.msprojectblog.com "Pete in Dub...

Sorting numerically
When I sort by a column with numbers, the sort results in all the numbers with left digit 8 coming before all the numbers with left digit 7: 800 followed by 80 followed by 8 followed by 700 followed by 70 etc. The column is formatted for "Numbers", no decimal places. How can I force the sort to be strictly numerical? Lionel Hi are you sure your numbers are actually stored as numbers and not as 'Text'. Try the formula =ISNUMBER(A1) if A1 stores one of your values. This should return TRUE >-----Original Message----- >When I sort by a column with numbers, the so...

I need to know if there is a way to divide a cell
I need to know if there is a way to divide a cell and still be able to input data in both halves or how to resize the cell so I can make it two cell close together without resizeing the surrounding cells. -- Thanks and may God Bless, kdwwattn You can't split a cell but you can have multiple lines in a cell (text Alt-Enter more text). Requires more height to view it (obv.) You can merge cells (I wouldn't advise it, but that's just me!). -- Regards; Rob ------------------------------------------------------------------------ "kdwwattn" <kdwwattn@discussions.microso...

Column Numbering
Ok, I'm sure this can be done and it might have already been posted but this is what I'm wanting to do. I have a spreadsheet of sports cards of a particular player that I collect. I'm wanting to have a column of number, 1,2,3,4,5,..... etc so I'll know how many cards of that particular player I have. Now here is my problem. Because my spreadsheet is alphabetized and also is done by year, starting with 1989 when the player was drafted, anytime I get a new card I insert a row into the spreadsheet to input the card information. So what I want it to do when I insert a new row...

excell percentages across columns
I have 6 columns of figure ( in this case votes) the 7th is the total across for the row. I now want to create an additional column for each column of votes and put the percentage of each orignal column of the total in each., Col A is raw vote, B the percentage of votes of the total col Col A is , colum C is raw votes, Col D the percentage of total votes Col C is, etc thanks Insert a new column to the right of each of the 6 columns. Then use a formula like: =a1/$N1 and format as a percentage. (where A1 contains the raw total and N1 contains the total) And drag down each column Do the sam...

Fastest way to move lots of data between databases on same server.
I need to move 100 Million rows of data from a table in one SQL 08 DB to another database on the same server. What is the fastest way to do this? - Insert Into in one big query - Multiple Insert Into statements looping through xxxx number of rows at a time to "batch" it up -bcp -BULK INSERT -SSIS According to most documentation bcp/Bulk Insert is the fastest way to load lots of data into SQL Server, but is that true even if the data source is another sql server db on the same server? Seems like that would be slower since you have to go to an intermediate text fil...

Previous Cell Comments Appearing when Mousing over cells in one column
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Intel I am seeing a previous cell comment when I mouse over another cell in a different column of cells. It only happens in the one column and its the same cell comment. How can this situation be fixed so I will not see this comment? Thanks. You actually can delete comments. Go to help menu and click on search type in comment or commenting and see if you can find deleting comments. > Thanks but this is not the problem. I don't want to delete the comments. For the moment I reverted to a previous version that I had...

Sorting #20
Thanks for reading Have a column of numbers need inverted like this all in column A 1 5 3 7 9 want to flip them like this 9 7 3 5 1 sounds easy? not for me. Thanks Bob On Thu, 02 Apr 2009 21:05:39 -0500, camaro46368@yahoo.com wrote: >Thanks for reading >Have a column of numbers need inverted like this > all in column A >1 >5 >3 >7 >9 >want to flip them like this >9 >7 >3 >5 >1 >sounds easy? not for me. Flip your monitor upside down. Then rotate the text 180 degrees. On Thu, 02 Apr 2009 21:05:39 -0500, ...

CRM 3.0 Fax
I just can't believe that the professional version running on server 2003 (which can fax) is not able to fax blast. I can't accept the notion that Microsoft would limit professional users from a basic tool when having to spend more on both the software and server. What are we missing? Can someone tell me if this is just a brutal oversight, or what needs to be done to have the pro edition record faxes sent using the 2003 server? Thanks for your help. Yours truly, Professionally Confused at why I paid more for less functionality... Been a while since I worked with fax solutio...

Multiple query criteria, results to new table
Hi, i'm not quite a beginner, but having 'mental block' with where to start constructing a query. I have two tables of data: SAP data & Vendor data. Both have the same fields, but with different data. The Vendor data contains records that may have changed, and the idea is to compare the two tables. In actual terms, there is a record for each combination of Vendor Number, Material Number & Plant. They contain data similar to the following: Vendor Number Material Number Plant Price Terms 123456 987654 555 10...

Newsgroups From columns empty.
All of the "from" columns in my newsgroups are empty, I cannot see who posted. The headers in the preview and reading panes are fine though. How can I get the from column back to normal? Thanks. ...

Non-VBA way of making custom menus.