Is there a way to "lock" columns, rows and borders so new data ca.

Help!  I don't want to have reformat each time.  I have several pages that
should look exactly the same, and I want to just fill in the blanks once the
format is set up.  Is there a way to lock the formats?
0
glaserk (7)

Hi
have a look at 'Tools - Protection

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

"glaserk" <glaserk@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Help!  I don't want to have reformat each time.  I have several pages
that
> should look exactly the same, and I want to just fill in the blanks
once the
> format is set up.  Is there a way to lock the formats?

0
frank.kabel (11126)
10/12/2004 5:39:07 PM
thanks... but I'm stupid.  I need to know how to lock the columns, rows and
borders without locking the whole sheet.  I tried to allow users to select
unlocked cell and format cells, but then nothing could be changed.

"Frank Kabel" wrote:

> Hi
> have a look at 'Tools - Protection
>
> --
> Regards
> Frank Kabel
> Frankfurt, Germany
>
> "glaserk" <glaserk@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > Help!  I don't want to have reformat each time.  I have several pages
> that
> > should look exactly the same, and I want to just fill in the blanks
> once the
> > format is set up.  Is there a way to lock the formats?

0
glaserk (7)
10/12/2004 5:53:05 PM
Hi
before protecting the sheet select the cells for which you want to
allow input. goto 'Format - Cells - Protection' and uncheck 'Locked'.
Now protect the sheet

--

> thanks... but I'm stupid.  I need to know how to lock the columns,
rows and
> borders without locking the whole sheet.  I tried to allow users to
select
> unlocked cell and format cells, but then nothing could be changed.
>
> "Frank Kabel" wrote:
>
> > Hi
> > have a look at 'Tools - Protection
> >
> > --
> > Regards
> > Frank Kabel
> > Frankfurt, Germany
> >
> > "glaserk" <glaserk@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag
> > > Help!  I don't want to have reformat each time.  I have several
pages
> > that
> > > should look exactly the same, and I want to just fill in the
blanks
> > once the
> > > format is set up.  Is there a way to lock the formats?

0
frank.kabel (11126)
10/12/2004 5:56:24 PM
Hi

what version of excel are you using ... i've just tested it here ... if you
choose the cells that you want them to enter data in & "unlock" them and
then choose tools/protection /protect sheet and only have
select locked cells & select unlock cells ticked then they shouldn't be able
to change the formatting of the sheet. (or even of the "unlocked" cells)

Cheers
JulieD

"glaserk" <glaserk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> thanks... but I'm stupid.  I need to know how to lock the columns, rows
> and
> borders without locking the whole sheet.  I tried to allow users to select
> unlocked cell and format cells, but then nothing could be changed.
>
> "Frank Kabel" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>> have a look at 'Tools - Protection
>>
>> --
>> Regards
>> Frank Kabel
>> Frankfurt, Germany
>>
>> "glaserk" <glaserk@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> > Help!  I don't want to have reformat each time.  I have several pages
>> that
>> > should look exactly the same, and I want to just fill in the blanks
>> once the
>> > format is set up.  Is there a way to lock the formats?

0
JulieD1 (2295)
10/12/2004 5:56:48 PM
Thanks.  It looks like I should have set up the original sheet like that.
Now I have 150 of these to do.  This does help though.
"Frank Kabel" wrote:

> Hi
> before protecting the sheet select the cells for which you want to
> allow input. goto 'Format - Cells - Protection' and uncheck 'Locked'.
> Now protect the sheet
>
> --
> Regards
> Frank Kabel
> Frankfurt, Germany
>
> "glaserk" <glaserk@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > thanks... but I'm stupid.  I need to know how to lock the columns,
> rows and
> > borders without locking the whole sheet.  I tried to allow users to
> select
> > unlocked cell and format cells, but then nothing could be changed.
> >
> > "Frank Kabel" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi
> > > have a look at 'Tools - Protection
> > >
> > > --
> > > Regards
> > > Frank Kabel
> > > Frankfurt, Germany
> > >
> > > "glaserk" <glaserk@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im
> Newsbeitrag
> pages
> > > that
> blanks
> > > once the

0
glaserk (7)
10/12/2004 6:01:11 PM
Excel 2003.
Julie-
I should've set it up that way to begin with!  Now I have about 150 sheets,
and my project is almost complete!  This is a great thing to know though,
since I use Excel all the time.
Thanks!

"JulieD" wrote:

> Hi
>
> what version of excel are you using ... i've just tested it here ... if you
> choose the cells that you want them to enter data in & "unlock" them and
> then choose tools/protection /protect sheet and only have
> select locked cells & select unlock cells ticked then they shouldn't be able
> to change the formatting of the sheet. (or even of the "unlocked" cells)
>
> Cheers
> JulieD
>
> "glaserk" <glaserk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > thanks... but I'm stupid.  I need to know how to lock the columns, rows
> > and
> > borders without locking the whole sheet.  I tried to allow users to select
> > unlocked cell and format cells, but then nothing could be changed.
> >
> > "Frank Kabel" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi
> >> have a look at 'Tools - Protection
> >>
> >> --
> >> Regards
> >> Frank Kabel
> >> Frankfurt, Germany
> >>
> >> "glaserk" <glaserk@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> >> that
> >> once the

0
glaserk (7)

Locking Cells #4
Hi all....I'm having one of those days where nothing is going right. I am trying to lock a certain group of cells so that they cannot be formated, but the other cells around them can be. I also want to be able to lock those cells so that the row height and column width don't change. I tried using Microsoft Office, and it isn't explaining it very well. Can someone help, please??? Detailed directions, if possible. Wendi: First, unprotect the entire sheet by clicking in the square located above the row numbers and to the left of the column letters. This will select the ...

Why does being in a batch lock everyone out?
If someone is in a sales order that is in the batch that is being transferred off to invoices, accounting cannot transfer it. The same is true for cost rollups, posting receipts, and posting inventory adjustments. If anyone is in a PO OR a SO then cost rollups cannot occur. In practice this means we can't roll costs until just about everyone is out of the system. A good deal of time is devoted to tracking down who is in what and getting them to close it when we need to run our processes. I don't think we should spend our time tracking down who is in what in order to function as a...

Record Locking & File Corruption
Hi I asked a similar question a few days ago and I the response wasn't clear to me If ticking the 'Edited Record' in the 'Default Record Locking' will potentially avoid file corruption that currently happens quite often? Thank you, Samuel No. Switching to pessimistic locking is unlikely to reduce the incidence of file corruption. The solution will be to track down what is causing the corruption, and address that issue. Here's a starting point of things to look for: http://allenbrowne.com/ser-25.html -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Aust...

locked up spread sheet
I am having trouble with my Excel with frontpage. I have used it successfully in the past but now.. when I chose a cell... I cannot enter data into it. When I try to move to another cell, I get the "drag"thing going...where all the cells behind it are highlighted. If I dont try to enter data from the get go... I can get into the task bar...but after I try to enter data...the only way to get out is control alt delete because the only thing that happens is the drag.... anyone have any answers... pleeeaaassssssse thanks Nellie Hi Nellie, Perhaps you have Extended selection on...

Locking Tabs
Is it possible to lock tabs so that someone can not change the position. Also how would I create a sheet for each day of the month. I was thinking of putting a date in one cell and then running a macro to create the sheet using dd-mm-yy format, but I don't know how to make sure the first sheet is the 01-mm-yy and then make sure it does not go past the end of that month. You can protect the workbook's structure. This will stop any renaming, inserting/deleting or moving/copying of sheets. In xl2003 menus: tools|Protection|Protect workbook Check structure and give it a nice memor...

Default record locking
If the "Edited Record" radial is checked on the advanced Options tab will this prevent multiple users from editing the same record on a form? My bound form opens to a current record, but I only want one user at a time to edit the record. I do not want the users to create more than one record per day. I want only one user to use the form at a time and want to know if this option will produce the desired results. Please let me know. Thank you. Hi Opal, That's a Yes. Opal wrote: >If the "Edited Record" radial is checked on the advanced Options tab >will this...

Machines locking up on RDC after KB956744 and KB969947
On random machines, we are getting a lockup when accessing through Remote Desktop Connection. Every time, if uninstalling the first one doesn't fix it, uninstalling the other one will. Sometimes it's one, sometimes it's the other. Most of our machines do not have this problem, but some do. Any idea why? KB969947 shows known issues that involve ATI and Nvidia graphics cards, Windows XP, and RDP: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969947 " After you install this security update on a Windows XP-based computer that is using an NVIDIA or ATI-based video adapter, Remot...

using ebabled and locked on controls
Hello there I have master form and subform which is continues form. On each subform there are two buttons that appear on each record. According to the data on the form and acccording the entering data to the form the buttons should be enabeld or not. Is there a way to do that for each record? Roy Goldhammer wrote: >I have master form and subform which is continues form. > >On each subform there are two buttons that appear on each record. >According to the data on the form and acccording the entering data to the >form the buttons should be enabeld or not. > >Is the...

locking cells #5
I have set up an extensive spreadsheet for my "non-Excel" co-workers. do not want them inadvertently typing in the cells that have formulas. Other than putting a comment, is there any way to lock those cells s they can not enter information by mistake -- denha ----------------------------------------------------------------------- denhar's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2408 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=37931 Each cell has a locked/unlocked property. Format|cells|protection tab. Lock the cells...

Copy locked form
Hello, I have created a form for people to complete easily: I inserted text fields and then locked the form, so they can tab ot the next field. But I would like for them to be able to copy the whole form (locked and unlocked sections) after they're done editing it -without having to explain how to unlock it. Is there a way this can be done? Thanks, Caroline Caroline wrote: > Hello, > I have created a form for people to complete easily: I inserted text > fields and then locked the form, so they can tab ot the next field. > But I would like for them to be able to ...

locked LDB FILE
When exiting my MsAccess database I've noticed that the LDB File doesn't go away as it should. when I tried to delete the ldb file ( I'm the only one using it ) it says record locked. I tried rebooting - No Dice. I'm at my wits end trying to figure this out Have already done that - incidentally - I am the LAN man "KARL DEWEY" <KARLDEWEY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:04235949-AE2C-42A0-A58D-657FD4DC4371@microsoft.com... > Backup your database. Then do a Compact and Repair. > If it still does not go away then ask you LAN man t...

Problem with Active Accessibility and OLE lock count
Hello! I've noticed an irritating behaviour of the Windows Magnifier and a standard single document MFC application generated by the new project wizard of VC++ 8.0 with enabled support for Active Accessibility. As soon as the Windows Magnifier is running, an accessible proxy is created through CWnd::CreateAccessibleProxy. The creation of a CMFCComObject increases the OLE lock count by calling AfxOleLockApp. However, this lock count is not decreased any more. As a consequence, the call to AfxOleCanExitApp in CFrameWnd::OnClose returns false and prevents the application from closing...

Access database locked.
Hi, I am facing an issue with access database.I have a web page that creates reports by pulling data from aparticular access database. This web page fails to create complexreports that returns lots of data. Once such a report is run, the webpage keeps on processing but never gives any result. But after this,when I try to run simple reports on the page, it fails to connect tothe db. This does not give any error, but the web page keeps onprocessing but never stops and never gives any result.It seems that the access db gets locked, a ldb file is created at thelocation of the mdb file. When th...

Shift/Control Key locked
I need help!!! I am creating an Excel worksheet (XP) and my settings seem to have changed. when I select an individual cell, Excel is selecting several cells at the same time, as if I have the Shift/Control key down at the same time, even though I don't?? Also, when I have the caps lock on, it prints lower case and vice versa. This has only just happened, I have been using Excel all morning. What can I do to rectify it??? Any urgent help would be appreciated. Thank you. Louise Try this, Louise: http://www.officearticles.com/excel/cursor_keeps_selecting_cells_in_microsoft_excel....

lock personal.xls project for viewing
hi, i have some functions and other stuff in personal.xls that i would lik to protect from viewing. i tried viewing protection on this file like would do on other files, but everytime it opens unprotected. any clues anything i am doing wrong? thanks, mac -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Inside the VBE: Select the personal.xls project in the project explorer. Tools|VBAProject Properties|Protection tab check that box and give it a memorable password. "icestationzbra <" wrote: > > hi, > > i have some functions and other stuff in personal.xls th...

Using PUblisherXP2003 How do I lock all items on page ?
Using MS Publisher2003 How do I lock the page so the text boxes and pictures stay in place? You could select all and group them all together, they will still move but their positions will stay correct. You can also copy the group and paste to the Master Page (ctrl + m). You cannot lock a page in Publisher. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "GerardV" <GerardV@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:299CA5EE-C7F3-4B34-83C7-296503ADAB56@microsoft.com... > Using MS Publisher2003 How do I lock ...

locking column with
I am preparing tables for publication and need the columns to be of a fixed width. Can I lock the column width to prevent Excel from widening a column to accomodate a number. I would rather see a series of ##. Tks If I manually adjust the columnwidth, the columnwidth doesn't seem to change. (If I do an autofit, then the columnwidth will auto-adjust.) Pierre Laporte wrote: > > I am preparing tables for publication and need the columns to be of a fixed > width. > > Can I lock the column width to prevent Excel from widening a column to > accomodate a number. I would...

Locking Inserting of Rows at certain rows?
Hello - I was wondering if there is a way I can lock a worksheet so that the user cannot insert rows between row 1 & 2 and row 2 & 3? Otherwise the user should have full control over the content of colums 1-5 and row 2-#. He/she should be able to insert, format font and background color and edit text in those cells. Is there any way this can be done? Thanks! Joe Joe Protection is a bit of a blunt instrument for this, but you can get the fine control you want by setting up an array formula. You cannot insert within an area containing an array, so in your case highlight A1:A3 (...

freezing/locking an item in a clistctrl
I'm looking for a good way to always display the bottom item in a clistctrl even if I scroll above where it would normally be displayed. So, if I have 10 items, but I can only show 5 at a time, the bottom visible item would always be item 10. I was trying something like this: BOOL CMyDlg::OnNotify( WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam, LRESULT* pResult ) { LPNMLVCUSTOMDRAW lplvcd = (LPNMLVCUSTOMDRAW)lParam; int iRow = lplvcd->nmcd.dwItemSpec; int page = c_MyList.GetCountPerPage(); int first = c_MyList.GetTopIndex(); int last = c_MyList.GetItemCount(); switch( lplvcd->nmcd.dwDrawS...

Cell locking and program freezing
Using a Dell Latitude D600. Others have the same experience with that lap top. Very often on opening an excel file, the cell at which the mouse is pointed locks and any attempt to move it results in the area being covered like when you are selecting a range. The program also freezes and I have to use task manager to close it ...

Publisher File locked
Running a small 12 user network, using Publisher 2002 on XP Pro PC's, 2003 Server. When trying to open a shared publisher document, the first user is succesful the others fail with a message saying that the file is locked by another program. The only way round this at the moment is to save the file as a Web Page and then everyone can open it and then save as a publisher file in thier own folders. Would have expected Publisher to act in the same way as Word, which gives you the option to open the file as 'Read Only' The publisher documents, and all other user files, are hel...

Read / Write Multithread Locking?
Got a quick question: I have on thread that is writing to an unsigned long. Two threads that are reading the unsigned long. The program will only be run on a 64-bit machine. Do I need any locking on this? If so, what is the best locking mechanism so that I only need to restrict access from the variable when the writer is copying, but the readers can both read at the same time? Thanks, Josh McFarlane Normally the answer is yes, you need locking. But on practice it depends whether it is important that reader will get new value immediately, or it can live with old value for another cycle. ...

Hide/lock worksheets
I have a workbook with 10 spreadsheets. Each sheet/tab is for individual employees. Is there a way to have a user sign in and only view their own tab and not gain access or even hide the other employees sheets/tabs? You can have a sign-in sheet that would display when the file is opened. You could then have a drop-down in a cell that would display all the names. The user would select a name (his own, presumably) and his sheet would be displayed. But what is there to prevent him from selecting another name than his own? Well, Excel could ask for a password. All of this would ...

Locking buttons
Hi everyone, this may or may not be possible but I'll ask the question anyway. .. I have a form with two butttons; each opening a different report. 'Report 1' button and 'Report 2' button. I also have another form that displays a drop down list where half of the list relates to 'Report 1' and the other half to 'Report 2'. Is it possible to make one button inactive if the criteria in the drop down list have not been selected in the other form? Thanks for any input you may be able to give me, Sam -- Message posted via AccessMonster.c...

Locked Out User
I have one user who keeps getting locked out. As soon as we unlock the account and he logs in his account locks again. We removed/added his computer to the domain, deleted and recreated his user account and it just won't go away. Any ideas? Anyone see this before? Any troubleshooting ideas? The Account Lockout Status tool shows 10 Bad Pwd Count on just one DC. Is that because the user only authenticated with that DC or could there be a problem with that DC. "tkutil" wrote: > I have one user who keeps getting locked out. As soon as we unlock the > account...