Is it possible to recover a file that's been saved over?

I'm sure I already know the answer to this question, but I
have to ask anyway. I was working on an Excel file
containing very important information on my laptop. I
wanted to save the file to my thumb drive in order to
create a backup copy. I recall being prompted by the save
action to replace the existing copy, which I assumed was
referring to the old copy that was already on my thumb
drive, so I selected the "Yes" button. Now that I've tried
to open the file on the laptop, I realize that it now has
the old copy. Basically, I saved the old version of the
file on top of the new one. Does Windows provide any way
to recover the file that was saved over?
0
cnauricej (1)

Hi
if you have no backup: no

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

"Carla" <cnauricej@yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> I'm sure I already know the answer to this question, but I
> have to ask anyway. I was working on an Excel file
> containing very important information on my laptop. I
> wanted to save the file to my thumb drive in order to
> create a backup copy. I recall being prompted by the save
> action to replace the existing copy, which I assumed was
> referring to the old copy that was already on my thumb
> drive, so I selected the "Yes" button. Now that I've tried
> to open the file on the laptop, I realize that it now has
> the old copy. Basically, I saved the old version of the
> file on top of the new one. Does Windows provide any way
> to recover the file that was saved over?

0
frank.kabel (11126)

File formats
I have a question concerning file formats. As a small business manager using personal computers in the workplace is essential. Over the course of any fiscal year documents are generated and files produced which are important for maintaining from year to year. Often these important files are generated in Microsoft Word and Excel in my work. I recently referred to one such file that was 5 years old to see the frightening words: “File Error: data may have been lost.” My question related to which file formats are best for file retention. I am not interested in paying a com...

Total Saved from MSRP on 40 Col Receipt
v1.3 I am wondering if anyone has come up with a receipt that defines the "You Saved __" from the MSRP (to list on a 40 col receipt). I have found in the postings a little bit about this, but not enough. Additionally on Customer Source I have found a receipt template that will list MSRP, but only as a line item on a full page receipt. Has anyone had any luck with this, or does anyone have any ideas? Any help is greatly appreciated! -- Jocelyn ...

Last saved date #2
I would like a spreadsheet to show its last saved date in a cell, which updates automatically when the spreadsheet is changed and saved - well, saved, as I wouldn't save it if there were no changes. I thought there was a function that did this but I can't find anything. Using Excel in Office XP (Excel 2002). Thanks Bryan Bryan, you could use something link this, put it in the thisworkbook module Private Sub Workbook_BeforeSave(ByVal SaveAsUI As Boolean, Cancel As Boolean) 'If you save the file the date will be placed in cell A1of Sheet1 Sheets("Sheet1").Range("...

Read XML file as an Access table?
Is there any way to process an XML file as an Access table or does the XML have to be imported to a table first? I did some experiments and XML processing appears to be extremely slow; is there any way to speed it up? Thanks. ...

Problem with the pst file
Hi there, I'm facing a problem in opening a pst file(zile size 2.1GB). I have scanned the file using scanpst.exe several times but the problem still persists. I have also used the tool which minimises the size of the file..but no luck. I really don't know why this problem occurs..is it due to the file size..or one of the mails has got corrupt. Also if by change if iam able to retrieve the file can i export the same to Outlook Express so that the problem doens't arise again..? Thanks in advance. Regards. Avinash Outlook 97-2002 pst-files can only be up to 2GB. You can r...

Is it possible

Files opening with different file names
Good afternoon/morning. Having a strange issue with Excel at present. If a file is sitting on my desktop, called invoices.xls, I click on it to open, and it opens as invoices1 The same happens if I 'explore' to the file. However, if I open excel and then click 'file''open' then click on the file, it opens as invoices.xls. When trying to save invoices1 it will save as invoices1.xls, then if I open this it will open it as invoices11 I'm running Windows 2000 with Excel 2000. Any help/guesswork would be appreciated! It sounds like the default behavior when you ...

Excel asking for save with no changes #5
Dave Peterson Wrote: > And xl2002 added an option that allows you to have more control: > Edit|links|startup prompt button. > check the "don't display the alert and update links" This sounds like exactly what I'm looking for! Unfortunately, I' running an older version of Excel. I'll have to hit up my IT perso for an update. Thanks! -Tomm -- tommy2 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- tommy20's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=281 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/sh...

Personal Folders in OWA

Disable Recieving of files
I want to setup a mailbox on my server so that a user can send emails to their home email account, but not be able to recieve. Is this possible? Michael, Could you rephrase the question? I am not sure what you are trying to do. You can setup a contact that will forward e-mails sent to the server to another address. -- Jared Gradle Exchange Support Professional ****** Disclaimer ****** This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Note: Please do NOT reply to this e-mail address. It is used for newsgroup purposes only. "Michael San Filippo...

ON 07: Huge File Size
I have a section in ON 07 with about 7 pages. Most have very little on them. There are 2 or 3 screen clips and several items that were pasted. When I check Windows Explorer it shows the section is 52MB (MEGA, not kilo)! This seemed impossible to me, so I saved it as a pdf file. As a pdf file, it is 804KB (KILO)! This seems like the right size. I have WinXP (sp3)-- if it matters. What is happening here? David What size are the pasted files? And how large (would you estimate) the screen clippings are? -- Thanks, John Guin OneNote Test Team http://...

linking Excel 2007 worksheet to Word 007 file
Does anyone know why a border would show up around the excel worksheet linked to Word? I've checked the settings in excel to see that there are no borders. Also, when I initially link the excel file, everything looks fine but if I refresh it once or twice, a border (ie box) shows up around the linked worksheet. On 31/05/2010 1:20 PM, bmb wrote: > Does anyone know why a border would show up around the excel worksheet linked > to Word? I've checked the settings in excel to see that there are no > borders. Also, when I initially link the excel file, everything lo...

Recovering Shift+Deleted mails from PST
Hi, Is there any way to recover Shift+ Deleted mails from PST? The regular method of recovering deleted mails from the sever works here, but only for mails that were received within the last four days. Is there any way I could recover older mails or can I redirect mails deleted PST mails to some place from where I can recover ? Disk recovery programs don't seem to work. Regards, Sushama Pst-files don't work with the server recovery settings. There is a slight change of recovering the items by using the steps described here; http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/restoredeletedi...

Attachments sent as .dat file.
When I attach a document or Excel spreadsheet, they end up as winmail.dat in the recipient's e-mail. I hope the answer is out there somewhere and would appreciate assistance. Regards, Alan Don't send the mail item in Richt Text Format. Use Plain Text or HTML instead "Alan Ak" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:047401c3adba$5078eb50$a601280a@phx.gbl... > When I attach a document or Excel spreadsheet, they end up > as winmail.dat in the recipient's e-mail. I hope the > answer is out there somewhere and would appreciate > assi...

How do I copy a Word File to an email that has numbered lists in
When I send an email and copy a Word Document that has a numbered list in the body such as 1. 2. 3. etc. the numbers for each line disappear in the email message. How can I prevent this? Email messages generally don't preserve formatting. Send the Word doc as an attachment, or (probably better) convert it to pdf and send that. On Feb 23, 4:05=A0pm, Edward P <Edward P...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > When I send an email and copy a Word Document that has a numbered list in= the > body such as 1. =A0 2. =A0 3. =A0etc. the numbers for each line disappea...

.eml file extension
When trying to open an attachment that has a *.eml extension I get the following pop-up error message. "Paint cannot read this file. This file is not a valid bitmap file, or its format is not currently supported." Any suggestions? Regards Rightclick the file, choose Open With... and select Outlook Express. Mark it to set it as the default application for eml-files. Note that this is an Microsoft Office Outlook forum. Outlook Express is family of Internet Explorer and Outlook of the Office family. Here is the link for the right forum http://communities.microsoft.com/newsg...

embedding Word files in cells of Excel 2003
(I am a beginner with Excel) Each month I send an email with an xls attachment. The xls contains cells which contain quotation reference numbers for Word documents. This is for ISO2000 documentation tracking. Now I also send seperate emails each with the Word quotation attached but I'm being told that when these emails are later opened the attachment is not always present. Is it possible for me to link the quotation to the cell so that after emailing the xls the recipient can open the Word quotation by clicking on the relevant cell? Beemer I'm not sure you could link the ...

Merging excel files
Hello everyone, I have one excel file for every day of the month since June 2003. I would like to create one file per month and merge the daily file into it...is there another way to do it other than copy/paste? Please help there is a lot of files what are the names of your files "Raul V" <pacificinet@aol.com> wrote in message news:0fa401c377e3$026dd5e0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Hello everyone, I have one excel file for every day of the > month since June 2003. I would like to create one file per > month and merge the daily file into it...is there another > way t...

MFC and batch files
Greetings, I posted similar topic here few weeks ago. I appreciate the responses. I have succesfully converted a batch file into a MFC dialog based application. Immediate results are a lot faster execution and detailed error reporting. Instead of calling other programs to do the task like a batch file does, I embedded C++ code, MFC and WinAPI functionality to do the same things. However, since this is my first major project, I am certain there is room for improvment by following good software engineering practices. One place where I am encountering trouble is terminating application. S...

Excel2000 keeps asking me to save when no changes were made
Excel2000 keeps asking me to save when no changes were made. This only happens on a few workbooks and has only been hapening the past 4 months. As time goes on it is happening more frequently. Ran Norton Anti-Virus, no viruses detected. Ran Spyware software, no problems there either. Have you got any of the following volatile functions in your workbook, as the existence of any of these will cause that message, because that function is recalculated every time you open the workbook, and as far as Excel is concerned that is a change. Most common one I would suggest is the TODAY() function. ...

Search file and within the file
Hi, I have several files in a folder most of them are CVs in word format, I want to create a query or access program to get the subject with some criteria - any ideas? If I search for a particular Text, that should check and matching file name and also inside the word file. I tried google desktop search, coppernic search and even the MS Search - but nothing helped in a way I want. I appreciate your valuable time. Rgds Anver, To develop a bespoke Access application will take much effort and involve using Windows APIs. I suggest you don't want to do this. Instead consider upgrad...

I need an excel plug in to save workbooks in adobe acrobat format
I used to have this feature on the toolbar, but following a severe recent excel and outlook crash, it got wiped off !! There seems to be no way to restore this essential facility, of choosing to save excel workbooks in a pdf format instead of xls. DOes anyone know how to restore it? Hi Chris, Try-File, Print, then select Acrobat Distiller. It will then ask you where you want the .pdf file to be saved. Thats how it works on mine. Hope that helps "chris brown" wrote: > I used to have this feature on the toolbar, but following a severe recent > excel and outlook crash,...