Is it possible to record a number with a leading zero in Excel?

I have a number of product codes that have been created with a leading zero
eg 0101 . When they are imported to Excel, Excel removes the leading zero. Is
there a way that I can set Excel up so that it does NOT remove these (kind of
important) digits? I much appreciate your assistance in advance!
0
hb (32)

Jonathan,

Format the cells as Text.

HTH,
Nikos

"Jonathan HB" <Jonathan HB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a number of product codes that have been created with a leading
zero
> eg 0101 . When they are imported to Excel, Excel removes the leading zero.
Is
> there a way that I can set Excel up so that it does NOT remove these (kind
of
> important) digits? I much appreciate your assistance in advance!

Take a look at this and see if it helps:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q81518&ID=KB;EN-US;Q8151

--
ehnt
ehntd's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1586

Many thanks - problem solved! Jonathan

"ehntd" wrote:

> Take a look at this and see if it helps:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q81518&ID=KB;EN-US;Q81518
>

> --
> ehntd
> ehntd's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=15865
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=276190

Thanks Nicos - however that solution didn't work. I got the answer in the end
from another post at this address for your future interest
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q81518&ID=KB;EN-US;Q81518

Jonathan
"Nikos Yannacopoulos" wrote:

> Jonathan,
>
> Format the cells as Text.
>
> HTH,
> Nikos
>
> "Jonathan HB" <Jonathan HB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have a number of product codes that have been created with a leading
> zero
> > eg 0101 . When they are imported to Excel, Excel removes the leading zero.
> Is
> > there a way that I can set Excel up so that it does NOT remove these (kind
> of
> > important) digits? I much appreciate your assistance in advance!

Excel 2002 calcs slower than Excel 97
I just upgraded from Excel 97 on NT (2.8Ghz w/1GB Ram) to Excel 2002 on XP (3.0Ghz w/1GB Ram). Excel 2002 now seems to calculate a LOT slower. It seems to happen more when I've imported data from an Access query. But even after I've broken all of the links to the access query the calculation now takes on average 10-14 minutes!!! This used to take less than 1 minute. I'm open to any ideas... lets hear your suggestions & questions!!! ...

Numbers starting in 0
I have a csv file that has PO numbers in it. Some of the PO numbers start with zero, which is required. When I open the file in Excel 2002, Excel drops the zero off thinking it is a number not text. How can I keep Excel from dropping the 0 off? Hi, Try changing the file extenstion to .txt When you import the file, set the column with the PO numbers to text >-----Original Message----- >I have a csv file that has PO numbers in it. Some of the PO numbers start >with zero, which is required. When I open the file in Excel 2002, Excel >drops the zero off thinking it is a n...

Is it possible

How do insert page numbers in excel
how do i insert page numbers in excel as it appears in word? You create a footer. Use File>Page Setup>Header/Footer>Footer>Page 1 -- Regards, Fred Please reply to newsgroup, not e-mail "Timothy" <Timothy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F49714AA-F9B4-430C-9F07-759B944429BF@microsoft.com... > how do i insert page numbers in excel as it appears in word? ...

How do I create a dual axes column chart in Excel
Hi...I am trying to create a dual axes column chart in MS Excel 2003. But the moment I add the secondary axis the bars are getting overlapped. Alok, This example should help: http://www.pdbook.com/index.php/excel/two_column_series_with_two_axes/ -- Regards, John Mansfield http://www.pdbook.com "Alok" wrote: > Hi...I am trying to create a dual axes column chart in MS Excel 2003. But the > moment I add the secondary axis the bars are getting overlapped. ...

Personal Folders in OWA

Excel asking for save with no changes #5
Dave Peterson Wrote: > And xl2002 added an option that allows you to have more control: > Edit|links|startup prompt button. > check the "don't display the alert and update links" This sounds like exactly what I'm looking for! Unfortunately, I' running an older version of Excel. I'll have to hit up my IT perso for an update. Thanks! -Tomm -- tommy2 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- tommy20's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=281 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/sh...

Record Locking Multiuser
I have created a multiuser database. In order to prevent more than one user editing the same record I have set the record locks to "edited record" This seems to create a lot of unwanted record locking issues for the users: Some records get locked and the only way to unlock them seems to be closing and reopening the database. I have thought about putting some unlock buttons on the forms but it would not work because I have another automated way to lock the records: when the record is complete a supervisor enters his/her name on the form and this action locks the record to all ...

excel in browser
hi out there Could you tell me if there is any chance to use cmd button to print preview (i.e charts, sheets, ranges,.) when excel file is open with internet explorer. I've created excel application myself and just recently found out that my file is to be hosted externaly on one of virtual learning environments (VLE) sites. When I uploaded my file onto (VLE) and then open with browser cmd buttons with printpriview methods caused error message "Print preview method of chart,range,.. class failed". Also I used to read from text files to obtain some information and display ...

How do I copy a Word File to an email that has numbered lists in
When I send an email and copy a Word Document that has a numbered list in the body such as 1. 2. 3. etc. the numbers for each line disappear in the email message. How can I prevent this? Email messages generally don't preserve formatting. Send the Word doc as an attachment, or (probably better) convert it to pdf and send that. On Feb 23, 4:05=A0pm, Edward P <Edward P...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > When I send an email and copy a Word Document that has a numbered list in= the > body such as 1. =A0 2. =A0 3. =A0etc. the numbers for each line disappea...

converting numbers into words
Does anyone have a script to convert numbers into words (e.g. in the way you would print on a check)? Thanks Joerg Joerg Have a look at the KB article here to build your own Function http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q213/3/60.ASP OR Download MOREFUNC.XLL from Laurent Longre's site. Does this(NumText) and much more. http://longre.free.fr/english/index.html Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 15:40:52 -0400, "Joerg Reutershan" <joerg.reutershan@adelphia.net> wrote: >Does anyone have a script to convert numbers into words (e.g. in the way y...

Saving Record using Access FE to SQL BE
I'm using Access 2003 on the front end and SQL 2000 on the backend. When I click on a button on the front end form to save a newly created record, what's the coding to save that record to the SQL server table? The form source is linked to the sql table. Thanks for your help, Blane -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com If you've created linked tables to SQL Server and are binding the linked tables to your forms, you don't need to do anything to save the data: it'll automatically be saved when you move to another record, just as it does when you're ...

hosted email PTR records
Hi all, We hosted several clients emails. (such as client.com; client1.com..) Their MX records point to our Exchange servers (A record). what about the PTR records for mail.client.com; mail.client1.com...? Should I ask our IP provider to create PTR records for mail.client.com; mail.client.com as they have PTR record for mycompany.com already? Can one PTR (ip address) point to different host names such as mail.mycompany.com,mail.client.com; mail.client1.com...? Will it affect mail delivery? Thank you. The reason you have PTR records for your domain and mail server is beca...

I need an excel plug in to save workbooks in adobe acrobat format
I used to have this feature on the toolbar, but following a severe recent excel and outlook crash, it got wiped off !! There seems to be no way to restore this essential facility, of choosing to save excel workbooks in a pdf format instead of xls. DOes anyone know how to restore it? Hi Chris, Try-File, Print, then select Acrobat Distiller. It will then ask you where you want the .pdf file to be saved. Thats how it works on mine. Hope that helps "chris brown" wrote: > I used to have this feature on the toolbar, but following a severe recent > excel and outlook crash,...

Trying to add or save a record.
I tried this awhile back and gave up. Trying again. I made a form with two tables, customers & calls. When I enter the phone number from the customers table that exists it populates the form the way I want it and I can save the form or add a new record and I think it is saving it in the calls table. If I enter a phone that doesn't exist and try to exit or enter a new record, I get the following. The microsoft jet database engine cannot find a record in the table 'customer' with key matching field(s) 'Phone#'. What I am trying to do is save the form even though ...

pictures in various shapes
Is it possible to insert a picture and make it into a circle or an oval or various other shapes than just squares and rectangles? Thank you ahead of time. with a graphics editor -- Rob Giordano Microsoft MVP - FrontPage "Stephanie" <Stephanie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:014D0D06-15F9-4D92-8D93-64FBD3A9CA32@microsoft.com... | Is it possible to insert a picture and make it into a circle or an oval or | various other shapes than just squares and rectangles? Thank you ahead of | time. | | Stephanie wrote: > Is it possible to insert a pict...

Excel 2002 SP3 CSV Format Cell 'Special' Leading Zero
Excel 2002 SP3, CSV File, Format Cell 'Special' for Zip Code Leading Zero does not work. Is there any way to maintain the Zip Code Leading Zero (New England States) in a CSV File? I have tried Format 'Special' and 'Text' and have found the only solution to be to place a leading ' with each zip code. This is not a very practical solution. Is this a configuration problem, a bug, or a limitation of the CSV file? Thanks, William Hi you may use an adjacent cell with a formula for this. e.g. enter in B1 =TEXT(A1,"0000") or something similar according...

Create sequence number for table
Hi, I have a table with a Title field, comment field and a Sequence field. I would like code to sort the table by Title and then fill in the Sequence field based on the order of the records. The first record would have a sequence number of 1, the second record a 2, etc. Can someone help me with code to do this? Thanks in advance. "Phillip" <Phillip@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:432342F6-AD55-405B-8CDF-43414FBE421D@microsoft.com... > Hi, > I have a table with a Title field, comment field and a Sequence field. I > would like ...

Randomly select a record in a table
Hi Guys, How would I randomly select a record from a table that has some 2500 records? Any help is greatly assisted!! many thanks in adavnce!! Cheers On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 16:17:01 -0700, DontKnow <DontKnow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi Guys, > >How would I randomly select a record from a table that has some 2500 records? > >Any help is greatly assisted!! > >many thanks in adavnce!! > >Cheers SELECT TOP 1 * FROM Yourtable ORDER BY Rnd([fieldname]) where [fieldname] is some Number or Autonumber field which can be counted...

Store sizes and number of mailboxes.
with Exch2003 SP2 what is the fastest way to find the information in the subject? Does MOM tellyou the store size and number of mailboxes? On Feb 9, 1:16 pm, Tyson <T...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > with Exch2003 SP2 what is the fastest way to find the information in the > subject? Does MOM tellyou the store size and number of mailboxes? My firm uses a Quest Product called MessageStats. There are tons of reports you can run such as mailbox sizes, number of mailboxes, activity information per mailbox, server activity, etc... Its a nice tool, I use it every day. On ...

Is this possible
I want to make a list of the files in several different folders. Is it possible to somehow "Copy and paste" just the filenames into a list, in either Word or Excel or Wordperfect. I am just trying to sort the files in several different folders to weed out duplicates. There has got to be an easier way then typing them all or screen printing the lists and manually weeding them out. Any suggestions. Frustrated... Hans, Here is some code that will start in a directory and list all files in that and any sub directories. It uses recursion to go through all the subs. Just ch...