installing office 2003 over office 2000

I have MS Office 2000 and thinking about getting MS Office 2003.

Does 2000 have to be uninstalled first?

How is 2003 installed on top of 2000?
0
rhfjr (1)

Hi rhfjr!

When you insert the 2003 CDROM you get the choice of either updating
your existing version or retaining it.

Most users, I think, choose to update but there are no real problems
associated with having more than one version on your computer as long
as you have plenty of spare hard drive capacity.

--
Regards
Norman Harker MVP (Excel)
"rhfjr" <rhfjr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have MS Office 2000 and thinking about getting MS Office 2003.
>
> Does 2000 have to be uninstalled first?
>
> How is 2003 installed on top of 2000?

0
njharker (1646)
8/7/2004 7:12:31 AM
On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 17:12:31 +1000, "Norman Harker"
<njharker@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

>Hi rhfjr!
>
>When you insert the 2003 CDROM you get the choice of either updating
>your existing version or retaining it.
>
>Most users, I think, choose to update but there are no real problems
>associated with having more than one version on your computer as long
>as you have plenty of spare hard drive capacity.

[for the sake of completeness only] ... and you install into a
different folder from the Office 2000 installation (which has been
simplified a little in 2003 reletive to previous versions), and you
install from oldest to newest (as you would be doing), AND you decide
which version of Outlook you want to run since that's the only Office
application that you can have only a single version of. (Personally I
like Outlook 2002 better than 2003 now that I've learnt to harness the
power of the task bar, but to each their own.)

All the gory details can be found here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;828956&Product=off2003

But of course, most people don't need multiple versions, and as Norman
said they'll choose to just let the Office 2003 install program take
care of updating (eliminating, effectively) the previous version for
them. I would, however, recommend that before installing 2003 you at
the very least back up:
- your personal.xls file if you have one;
- any .xlt (template) files that you may have created (as well as .dot
files in Word);
- Any .pst files from Outlook. (Unless your e-mail is on an Exchange
server, in which case you don't have to worry about that part.)

>--
>Regards
>Norman Harker MVP (Excel)
>Sydney, Australia
>njharker@optusnet.com.au
>"rhfjr" <rhfjr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I have MS Office 2000 and thinking about getting MS Office 2003.
>>
>> Does 2000 have to be uninstalled first?
>>
>> How is 2003 installed on top of 2000?

Hank Scorpio
scorpionet who hates spam is at iprimus.com.au (You know what to do.)
* Please keep all replies in this Newsgroup. Thanks! *
0
ApolloXVIII (173)

RE-Installing

Also Can't Install Latest Update

Unread mail in OUtlook 2003
The unread mail in the default view isn't working right for several clients. Anyone have this problem? ...

outlook 2003 #69
i have problem sending messages from pop3 accounts in outook 2003 when i configure exchange server for intranet, even when i select pop3 account as defalut account and exchage is second option, if i select pop3 account as default then i am unable to send messages local exchange server, if i configure the same in outlook xp then every thing is ok pop3 and exchange any body can help me to solve this problem or it is a bug in outlook 2003 Configure the account (POP3 or Exchange) that you use the most as the default. When you want to send using the other account, select that account from...

Value Pak Installer

Add-In Is Not Valid Office Add-In Error Message
When I bootup Microsoft Outlook 2000 (9.0.0.2711), I get the following error message: 'C:\Windows\Application Data\Microsoft\Add-Ins\' is not a valid Office add-in. I also get this message when I open Outlook 2000, click on the Tools menu, click on Options, click on the Other tab, click on the Advanced Options button, and then click on the COM Add-Ins button. Would appreciate any help anyone may have to fix this problem. --Eric Ogawa This problem has been addressed in: "OL2000: Error Message: Not a Valid Office Add-in Starting Outlook" http://support.microsoft.com/supp...

Exchange 2003 ESM errors
when trying to open Public Folders in teh Exchange System Manager I am receiving the following error; The operation failed due to an invalid format in the HTTP request. Verify that the host header is correct for the virtual server. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated; tim Tim, http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;282125 E "TimW" <tim.watson@republink.com> wrote in message news:05a501c3c34e$ca07a570$a101280a@phx.gbl... > when trying to open Public Folders in teh Exchange System > Manager I am receiving the following error; &...

Installation #4

Outlook 2003 Deleting Deleted Items!
This annoying problem is driving me nuts! I'm running Outlook 2003 w/SP1 (Exchange 2000) on Windows 2000 Pro w/SP4. Recently, Outlook has been automatically emptying my Deleted Items folder to Recover Deleted Items! I've checked my Rules as well as AutoArchive settings but can't find the cause of these mysterious deletions. The problem persists even after I uninstalled/reinstalled Office 2003 Pro. Actually after I did this, Outlook behaved itself for a whole day but the problem returned the next. Sometimes after recovering my deleted items, I can find my Deleted Item...

Access 2003 functions
I am trying to calculate a geometric mean in a report. Access does not have a geometric mean function. I can do it using common logarithims and anitlogarithims, but I can only find a natural logarithim function and an exp function that also is based on natural logs. Without going into excel, does anybody have any suggestions? Thanks Chris U�ytkownik "crhiggins" <crhiggins@discussions.microsoft.com> napisa� w wiadomo�ci news:A7BF21FF-F298-4983-8C03-F34A23E6B2FF@microsoft.com... >I am trying to calculate a geometric mean in a report. Access does not have >a > g...

Installer for my access application

Fresh install, crystal issue.

Outlook 2003 / BCM
When you pull up the Opportunities page in Outlook 2003 / BCM - it sorts the stages alphabetically - (e.g. Closed Lost, Negotiation etc.). Is there a way for the view to open with the stages sorted by "stage" - (e.g. Prospecting, Qualification, Needs Analysis, etc.)? Please advise, BSW ...

how to sync my blackberry 7100 with outlook 2003
Please help. I have Outlook 2000 and can sync with my new blackberry but now it say on the 2003 says that no application selected. Ask RIM - it is their problem to solve as Microsoft has nothing to do with Blackberries other than using them. They do not write their software. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, davidwshipley asked: | Please help. I have Outlook 2000 and can sync w...

Installing XP over Linux

CRM SBS install error

Microsoft Office
Can I run microsoft office 2000 in a dell XP? Thanks MC You certainly should be able to I have xp home and have xl95, xl97sr2, and xl2002 all installed on mine. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "MCabot" <ICC@zoomtown.com> wrote in message news:d57c1$43074b60$453dae72$5006@FUSE.NET... > Can I run microsoft office 2000 in a dell XP? > > > > Thanks > MC > > Not sure what you mean by "dell XP", but see http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=217883 "Description of the system requirements for all editions of Office 200...

Import outlook 2003 messeges from outlook 2003
Hi Have resently made a new instalation of office 2003 and saved the old office 2003 on a backupp drive (d). Can someone give me istructions how to import messeges stored on my d-drive? Any ideas welcomed Jan All mail and other Outlook items are kept in a pst-file. Search your backup for pst-files and make sure you include hidden files dureing your search. When you find it you can connect to it from Outlook by using File-> Open-> Outlook Data File... -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2...

Outlook 2000 switch from Microsoft Exchange to POP3 caused error
I just tried to switch from Microsoft Exchange configuration of Outlook 2000 to POP3. Installlation Wizard asked for CD and I am traveling and do not have it with me. Now I can't switch back to Microsoft Exchange because every time I invoke Outlook it tries to find the CD. How can I get back to my MS Exchange configuration? You can try this, but I can't guarantee it will work. Make sure you select Export from the FIle menu in Registry Editor before deleting anything in this registry key. That way, you can always put it back if something goes wrong. Open Regedit -select St...

Internet Printing: Printer Installation Failed. The driver files are not available for the current CPU platform
Hi. I have a SBS 2003 machine, I have 2 shared printers set up on it for remote users to print via IPP. Both printers are connected to Windows XP workstations. When I browse to https://servername/printers, I see all the printers. I can use the Connect link to install one of the printers on my workstation however if I select the second printer and click on Connect I eventually get the error: Printer Installation Failed The driver files are not available for the current CPU platform. Please contact your administrator to install proper driver files on the server. I've v...

Tip:AutoPreview in search results (Outlook 2000)
Dear All, Thought this might interest those of us still using Outlook 2000. I just discovered that by clicking on the column headers in search (Advanced Find) results, you can customise the view and turn on AutoPreview. However, it doesn't seem to persist between searches though, and so needs to be turned on each time. Leigh Thankfully, most people have upgraded to a later version of Outlook, = although your tip is certainly welcome. --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account wi...