Inserting multiple rows into a table while maintaining data?

Please trust me, this is a relatively simple question, but takes some explaining:

I want to insert multiple rows (anywhere from 60 to 900+) into a table that I routinely use off a template.  Every time I open the template, I have all my appropriate column headings, and I paste data from another program into this Excel sheet.  My desired outcome is that I am able to paste rows of varying numbers, while still maintaining the last rows (for sum totals of each column) on my template.  (This would help automating the task)

For example, I start my column headings in row 6.  A6, B6, C6, and D6 all have headings.  I have cells reading "Total" in A8, B8, C8, and D8, and the SUM result would be displayed in row 9.  I want to insert lots of rows between the two, while still maintaining my "total" columns (In this way, I can make a macro to make this once-a-week task more efficient).

The problem is that if I highlight A7 (first blank cell) and Paste the rows, it simply overwrites any data that occupies row 8.  I want to push these cells down instead of overwriting them.  Because my inserted rows are of varying lengths, I cannot anticipate where the bottom of the table will be.  Functions such as "Insert" or "Paste Special" do not address this issue.

It seems to me that there must be a way to insert multiple rows into a pre-existing table without destroying the original data.  Imagine pasting multiple rows into the middle of an invoice- you don't want to lose the other data, but you need to put an important item (series of rows) in the middle.  Is there some way to do this, preferably without using VB?

Ah- I knew there was something I was missing.  This is a 3rd party software issue.  The problem I'm encountering (which I could not articulate until now) is that I am copying cells from another database program (not excel or word), and excel must not recognize them immediately as "copied cells".  I can paste these cells normally just fine, but when it comes to the extended options that copied excel cells have, I think I'm out of luck.

Perhaps at present my best solution is to copy the cells to another excel sheet, and then recopy them once in excel, thus giving me the ability to insert them as copied cells.  Of course, this results in less of the automation I was desiring, so I think I will have to be creative in a macro.

Thanks!

"Chris from Waterworks" wrote:

> I tried to replicate your problem. All I did was copy the data, clicked in a blank cell and right clicked 'insert copied cells', then when the 'insert paste' dialogue box appeared I clicked in the 'Shift cells down' check box. Worked fine for me.
> hth, Chris

Linking a Column List to a Row List #2
Thanks for the help, it worked perfectly -- Mo ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Moe's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1250 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27428 ...

How do I insert Roman Numerals?

How To Copy Rows without Work Art
I have some Word Art in say Rows 9-23, I use some Macro code to copy cells 9-23 down to 10 grouped rows below 23, but everytime I run the Macro it also copies a 'New' Work Art over the existing Art below Row 15. My fear is that my file size will balloon. My code simply states Sheets("Starters").Select Rows("9:23").Select Selection.Copy Range("A25").Select ActiveSheet.Paste Range("A41").Select ActiveSheet.Paste How can I copy Rows 9-23 without the WorkArt also (which is 'floating' over Rows 14-18) Thanks Anot...

Not plot a data series in a chart but still display in data table
MS Excel 2007 I've somehow managed to display only two data series on my line chart. They still display in the data table. How did this happen? More importantly, how do I reverse it. I don't want to recreate chart. I see the data series not plotted on chart in the Chart Elements and when I select the series, the source data is highlighted; it's in the data table. How do I make it visible? Thanks! Miriam HAve you perhaps simply formatted the data series as "no line, no marker"? If so, you can format series, add some color. -- Best Regards, Lu...

Insert trigger

inserting hrs and minutes

Unstable view
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0021_01C76D6F.4A95FED0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Each time I select another item at the bottom of the list, the listbox always move the scrollbar itself to redisplay the list and see the first selected item. I always have to move the scrollbar again to go far down at the bottom of the list to be able to select another item... Did I miss something to do, with this ListBox? jmarc... ------=_NextPart_000_0021_01C76D6F.4A95FED0 Content-Type: text/html; ...

Updating a table
I have query that relates to a table and i want to be able to automatically insert a comment into a range. I.E Table column is called Report name. I want to open the query and have it ask me the name of the report. When i enter it i want it to auutomatically enter the name in the column so that all the other information that i add afterweards is associated with the report. I then want this info to save when i exit. Can anybody help? ...

same month/day on x axis for multiple years
If i have data sourced to me like this: Date Price 1 Price 2 Price 3 1/1/2003 2.5 3.2 3.0 1/2/2003 2.6 2.8 2.9 1/1/2004 2.7 3.0 3.1 1/2/2004 2.0 2.8 3.2 1/1/2005 6.0 6.2 6.2 1/2/2005 6.5 6.3 6.4 If I want a line graph with the 3 series related to the Price columns, how can I get the x axis to only reflect the 3 month/day combinations not including the year? When I try this it gives me 6 x axis points for each series. Thanks, Mike...

Insert with a where condition

"Lookup" data type
I´m using the deployment manager to create a new lookup filed chema but when I click on the dropdown box to select the data type, the "lookup" data type doesn´t appear. I´ve got the customization manual and that data type is supposed to appear in the list. How can I add it? Deployment Manager in CRM 1.* does not let you add a Lookup data type "Talei" <Talei@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4FE8843C-3BF5-48FC-AE20-16EB2B3FA914@microsoft.com... > I�m using the deployment manager to create a new lookup filed chema but when > I ...

Visual Studio 2005 project with files in multiple directories
Hello, I am switching a project from visual studio 6 to 2005. The project has source in multiple directories and I want to include "stdafx.h" on all the files. The source compiles fine in vs6, but in 2005 it cannot find stdafx.h for the files that aren't in the folder containing stdafx.h. The easy solution would be to include "../project/stdafx.h" but the files are shared in multiple projects so I don't want to do this because the project directory is a different name for each. I tried adding the directory with stdafx.h to the include directory but it didn't d...

Issues with Integrating Multiple Spreadsheets for Reports or Queries?
We are keen to discuss and help with issues arising when needing to query, or produce reports using multiple Excel spreadsheets (Multiple Excel Spreadsheet Integration issues): Issues like: - We can=92t easily compare a choice of values in one spreadsheet with a choice in another worksheet - So we cannot easily answer the question =93what do all these rows have in common with those rows=94 Because: - We have to do a weekly report integrating multiple Project Plans, Financial Analyses =85 - We spend tons of time cutting and pasting, sorting and merging =96 the same process repeated every week...

Insert

how to insert data in a table

Uploaded Checking acct data
Using 2005 Just successfully uploaded all 2004 (YTD) for main checking account. That said, why does the calender not reflect the payments? My calendar shows nothing just "Add New" Is there some steps that I need to do or is the calendar information updated only if I, step-by-step, pay bills in the system? TIA Dennis The data that you have uploaded will be in the account register, not in the bills/deposits area which populates the calendar. To get it in the calendar, you'll need to add it to the bills/deposits area. You can do this by either entering it manually or by...

Select alternate rows to copy
I would like to select alternate rows within a range on a worksheet to copy to another sheet. Any ideas on how to do this? -- Christina Christina Use a spare column (I used B but any will do), enter this formula and copy down to the full extent of your data. You will get alternating TRUE, FALSE =MOD(ROW(A2),2)=0 Now invoke an autofilter (Data>Filter>Autofilter) and filter on which one you want. Copy that data and pate to another sheet. -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS "Christina" <Christina@disc...

insert downloads into power point

merging data from 2 spreadsheets
Hello I work in a school and often export or collect data into spreadsheets of student grades and assessments etc. I often have to combine different lots of assessments from 1 or 2 spreadsheets into one and do this by arranging windows or 'comparing side by side' and go down the list of students in both files, (sorted by name) then when the students are in the exact order of rows, I copy the columns of data i want from one file into the other. This is very tedious and making me go blind! Is there a better way of doing this?? Like a query or something. Anything? I'm using Off...

Data quality software package
Hello, Thanks for helping us on our last question. We have looked at different open source offers for data integration. And we are now looking for data quality software able to complete the data integration software. Are there any packages able to suit our needs? Different or same software makers are fine for us. Thank you. On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 08:14:01 -0800, Guertas <Guertas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hello, > >Thanks for helping us on our last question. >We have looked at different open source offers for data integration. And we >...

Grouping Multiple Entries
I have a list of pay records in rows, with an employee ID# in column A for each one, which they are sorted by. An employee may have multiple entries each. What I want to do is use formatting to easily show where one employee's records end and another begins. I am using "sumif" to create totals for each employee -- KKD on the menu bar: Data > Subtotals will group and subtotal for you "KKD" wrote: > I have a list of pay records in rows, with an employee ID# in column A for > each one, which they are sorted by. An employee may have multiple e...