Insert row with formatting from row below instead of row above?

My default Excel template has the top row formatted as a header, with
bold text and a dark bottom border to distinguish it from the rows
below.

So if I insert a row at row 2, the new row is formatted like the
header.  Then I have to select the new row and remove the bold font,
remove the dark border, select the header row and reapply the bottom
border.

Is there a way I can change the insert default so that it takes it's
formatting from the row below instead of the row above.  Or better
yet, so that it has no formatting at all?

Hi
AFAIK you can't change this behaviour

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

Clueless in Seattle wrote:
> My default Excel template has the top row formatted as a header, with
> bold text and a dark bottom border to distinguish it from the rows
> below.
>
> So if I insert a row at row 2, the new row is formatted like the
> header.  Then I have to select the new row and remove the bold font,
> remove the dark border, select the header row and reapply the bottom
> border.
>
> Is there a way I can change the insert default so that it takes it's
> formatting from the row below instead of the row above.  Or better
> yet, so that it has no formatting at all?

0
frank.kabel (11126)
9/8/2004 7:58:27 PM
Right click in any empty row (click in Row Number),
Choose "Copy",
THEN, right click in row2,
And Choose "InsertCopiedCells".
--

HTH,

RD

"Clueless in Seattle" <spamless_in_seattle@yahoo.com> wrote in message
My default Excel template has the top row formatted as a header, with
bold text and a dark bottom border to distinguish it from the rows
below.

So if I insert a row at row 2, the new row is formatted like the
header.  Then I have to select the new row and remove the bold font,
remove the dark border, select the header row and reapply the bottom
border.

Is there a way I can change the insert default so that it takes it's
formatting from the row below instead of the row above.  Or better
yet, so that it has no formatting at all?

0
ragdyer1 (4059)
9/8/2004 8:51:40 PM
Rag,

This may confound formulas that start with the first data row, like
=SUM(A2:A100).

A technique I've had luck with is to put an extra row under the heading, and
format it like the other detail rows, but put no data in it, and hide it.
That way, you're not working at the edge of the range, so to speak.  Same
for the bottom.

--
Earl Kiosterud

"RagDyer" <ragdyer@cutoutmsn.com> wrote in message
> Right click in any empty row (click in Row Number),
> Choose "Copy",
> THEN, right click in row2,
> And Choose "InsertCopiedCells".
> --
>
> HTH,
>
> RD
>

> "Clueless in Seattle" <spamless_in_seattle@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> My default Excel template has the top row formatted as a header, with
> bold text and a dark bottom border to distinguish it from the rows
> below.
>
> So if I insert a row at row 2, the new row is formatted like the
> header.  Then I have to select the new row and remove the bold font,
> remove the dark border, select the header row and reapply the bottom
> border.
>
> Is there a way I can change the insert default so that it takes it's
> formatting from the row below instead of the row above.  Or better
> yet, so that it has no formatting at all?

0
nothanks4548 (968)
9/9/2004 4:48:34 AM
I like your idea Earl, but what I suggested will do no worse then what the
OP is now doing, while helping with his formatting.
His simple insert will *also* not be picked up by the formula you mentioned.

Let's hope he picks up on your suggestion.
--

Regards,

RD

"Earl Kiosterud" <nothanks@nospam.com> wrote in message
Rag,

This may confound formulas that start with the first data row, like
=SUM(A2:A100).

A technique I've had luck with is to put an extra row under the heading, and
format it like the other detail rows, but put no data in it, and hide it.
That way, you're not working at the edge of the range, so to speak.  Same
for the bottom.

--
Earl Kiosterud

"RagDyer" <ragdyer@cutoutmsn.com> wrote in message
> Right click in any empty row (click in Row Number),
> Choose "Copy",
> THEN, right click in row2,
> And Choose "InsertCopiedCells".
> --
>
> HTH,
>
> RD
>

> "Clueless in Seattle" <spamless_in_seattle@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> My default Excel template has the top row formatted as a header, with
> bold text and a dark bottom border to distinguish it from the rows
> below.
>
> So if I insert a row at row 2, the new row is formatted like the
> header.  Then I have to select the new row and remove the bold font,
> remove the dark border, select the header row and reapply the bottom
> border.
>
> Is there a way I can change the insert default so that it takes it's
> formatting from the row below instead of the row above.  Or better
> yet, so that it has no formatting at all?

0
ragdyer1 (4059)

How do I insert Roman Numerals?

Linking a Column List to a Row List #2
Thanks for the help, it worked perfectly -- Mo ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Moe's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1250 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27428 ...

Formatting 'Hours' in work field with out decimals
I need help in formating the work hours showing rounded off to next hr, rather than showing with one decimal. Appreciate help What about using the Round function? Round([Field],0) - or something like that syntax. - Andrew Lavinsky Blog: http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/epm > I need help in formating the work hours showing rounded off to next > hr, rather than showing with one decimal. Appreciate help > On Jan 26, 2:05=A0pm, drjayr2002 <drjayr2...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I need help in formating the work hours showing rounded off to next ...

Alternate Row Shading
I'm a newbie who's got a five-column worksheet and about 900 rows, most of them already typed. Grateful if someone could advise how to shade all of the rows in an alternate fashion, i.e., light-gray, then dark-gray, etc. Thanks! AB Hi see: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/banding.htm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Alex_Bachrach wrote: > I'm a newbie who's got a five-column worksheet and about 900 rows, > most of them already typed. Grateful if someone could advise how to > shade all of the rows in an alternate fashion, i.e., light-gray, then > dark-...

Excel
When using auto-filtering, how can I "number" how many records are displayed. Your question has fallen into an Access news group. Try an Excel news group for a better chance at getting a quick answer. -- Duane Hookom Microsoft Access MVP "Rachel" wrote: > When using auto-filtering, how can I "number" how many records are displayed. "Rachel" <Rachel@discussions.microsoft.com> 在郵件 news:DE18E8EF-5A6D-4661-A768-41D3B4D85D6C@microsoft.com 中撰寫... > When using auto-filtering, how can I "number" how many records are ...

How do I format publication design after page 18?
After I hit page 18 I could no longer format the publication design onto the page. Thought it might be considered the back cover but I even tried inserting pages and it still happened. Any suggestions? What formatting are you using? Text? When you setup your project did you use a wizard? What version of Publisher are you using? Have you tried, insert page, duplicate all objects on page XX? -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "gw" <gw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:91BA1FA9-6AA2-44C7-81D...

Numerical Formatting in a Report
Hello, I am trying to whittle down some duplicate files on our server. One of the lines in the report provides a summary of a particular duplicated file. In the text box control, I have the following: ="There are " & [subCounter] & " additional copies of '" & [File_Name] & "' potentially using up to " & [footsum] & " MB of space." which works, but is ugly. The [footsum] entity is calculated by dividing the file size in bytes by 1024 and again by 1024 to yield MB. Is there a way to round the [footsum] calculation to ...

How To Copy Rows without Work Art
I have some Word Art in say Rows 9-23, I use some Macro code to copy cells 9-23 down to 10 grouped rows below 23, but everytime I run the Macro it also copies a 'New' Work Art over the existing Art below Row 15. My fear is that my file size will balloon. My code simply states Sheets("Starters").Select Rows("9:23").Select Selection.Copy Range("A25").Select ActiveSheet.Paste Range("A41").Select ActiveSheet.Paste How can I copy Rows 9-23 without the WorkArt also (which is 'floating' over Rows 14-18) Thanks Anot...

Insert trigger

empty rows at bottom of worksheet
My worksheet has about 66,000 empty rows at the bottom of the sheet and that affects my usage of the scrollbar on the right of the screen. Anyone know how i can get rid of those miscellaneous rows? Michael If you will turn on the page break preview (piece of paper with a magnifying glass) which is the icon on the on the Standard Toolbar to the right of the Printer icon it will show you exactly what is going to print. There are solid blue lines that the edge of the page, the dashed blue lines are soft page breaks. Find the solid blue line at the bottom of the spreadsheet and drag it ...

inserting hrs and minutes

colour formatting
hi all.. Has anyone any idea how to chnge the colour of the text in say a1, a2, a3 simply from the results of what word is placed in cell a4 TIA Use the Format-->Conditional formatting command. 1. Select cells A1:A3 2. Click Format-->Conditional formatting 3. Change the first dropdown (on the left) to "Formula Is" 4. Enter the following formula in the textbox to the right of "Formula Is": =$A$4="Hello" Where: $A$4 = the cell you're testing "Hello" = the word/phrase that will make the font color change. Make sure ...

Automatic conditional formatting from a list
Hi All I need a macro that colours cells if the product name in column A on it's row matches any in the product list. There is a list of product names in C17:End(xlUp).Row, that have different backgrounds applied to each cell in the list. The macro looks at Column A in the worksheet & compares it to the product name list. Where it finds a product name match, it goes across to columns I:BJ (on the matched row) and applies the product name's background colour to any "active cells" (i.e. value >0). The following code does this but it's applies...

Empty rows
When I do Shift+Page Down+End+Arrow Down from the first selected row, it goes to row 65,536. How do I get it to go to the end of the report (the last typed row)? Connie Hi clear your used range first: http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#Unused -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Connie Martin" <Connie Martin@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:61708D1A-8D45-4213-A35A-54953A8C90E5@microsoft.com... > When I do Shift+Page Down+End+Arrow Down from the first selected row, it goes > to row 65,536. How do I get it to go to the end of the re...

Insert with a where condition

Insert

Conditional Format Percentage
Hi, How can I conditionally format a cell based on the percentage value of another cell rather than the value of its own cell?. All values ar Example, I wish to format "A1" based on the value of B1. If B1 = -5% then A1 would colour Amber, if B1 = -10% then A1 would colour Red, if B1 => 0 then A1 would go Green. Three format to apply - (1) B1 => 0% [Green] (2) B1 <= minus 9.99% [Red] (3) B1 between minus 0.01% & -9.99% [Amber] Can this be done, possibly in one formula for conditional formatting? Thanks, Mickey In the Conditional Formatting dialog, change &quo...

60 page file, in magazine format, pages are reversing.
Hey I created a mock up magazine, and there are about 60 pages. When I converted it to PDF, it turned in 30 pages, and in those 30 pages they doubled two pages into ONE page and THOSE pages were from complete opposite ends of the magazine. I want to read from start to finish like a magazine, 1, 2-3, 4-5, and so on and so fourth and the last page would be 60. This is kind of important, so if you could help me in any way I'd appreciate it. Sounds like you created your project in booklet form. If you print out the file it will assemble in the correct order. -- ...

Auto Sum unknown number of rows
Im using odbc to import data from a database. Imported is a list of products in column A and then various columns containing sales figures. Because of the import from the database, I do not know how many rows of products will appear, this week we sell 500 different products, next week 550. I need to add totals to the columns directly under the last product. I've tried creating the totals in an empty template and then inserting the imported data so the total figures move down and appear at the bottom. However the imported data moves the total cells to the right instead of down. Tried ...

Conditional Formating, contain space
Hi All, How do I HIGHLIGHT a block of data that CONTAIN space?? For an Example, COLOUMN A1-A1000 contains TEXT data. I would like to highlight those cells that contains data. Thanks in advance. New Rule>Use a formula. =NOT(ISBLANK(cellref)) Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Wed, 3 Feb 2010 15:51:01 -0800, apache007 <apache007@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi All, > >How do I HIGHLIGHT a block of data that CONTAIN space?? > >For an Example, COLOUMN A1-A1000 contains TEXT data. >I would like to highlight those cells that contains data....

how to insert data in a table