Indirect Method for Name Box Variable?

Can the name box use the Indirect method for defining its name?

I wish to use a cell's value to define the name in the name box.  I'
not sure if this is possible or if I'm just getting the syntax wrong.
I'm trying to group 7 days (cells) and then have Excel keep th
grouping as I copy them for subsequent weeks.  I don't want to manuall
keep naming the groups as new weeks are added.

Example in the name box:
INDIRECT("week" & $A1)

where A1, A2, A3, etc. will contain the sequencial values 1, 2, 3, etc

Essentially, the names would end up being week1, week2, week3, etc.

I've just managed to Indirect much of the other functions of m
workbook and this seems to be the last part to fix.

Thanks,
Chris Brenna

--
Chris Brenna
Chris Brennan's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1491

Don't think you can do what you want. You can create names that use a cell
in  it's ReferTo value, but not in  the name.

--

HTH

RP

"Chris Brennan" <Chris.Brennan.1dgam0@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in
message news:Chris.Brennan.1dgam0@excelforum-nospam.com...

http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=14915
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=265462

0
bob.phillips1 (6510)
10/1/2004 2:10:37 PM
Hi
I agree with Bob that this is not possible. Question: Why do you want
to do this?

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

"Chris Brennan" <Chris.Brennan.1dgam0@excelforum-nospam.com> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:Chris.Brennan.1dgam0@excelforum-nospam.com...

> Can the name box use the Indirect method for defining its name?
>
> I wish to use a cell's value to define the name in the name box.  I'm
> not sure if this is possible or if I'm just getting the syntax wrong.
> I'm trying to group 7 days (cells) and then have Excel keep the
> grouping as I copy them for subsequent weeks.  I don't want to
manually
> keep naming the groups as new weeks are added.
>
> Example in the name box:
> INDIRECT("week" & $A1)
>
> where A1, A2, A3, etc. will contain the sequencial values 1, 2, 3,
etc.

> Essentially, the names would end up being week1, week2, week3, etc.
>

> I've just managed to Indirect much of the other functions of my
> workbook and this seems to be the last part to fix.
>
> Thanks,
> Chris Brennan
>

> --
> Chris Brennan
---
> Chris Brennan's Profile:
http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=14915
> View this thread:

frank.kabel (11126)

Show defined names while entering formula
I have a bunch of names defined on my worksheet. When entering a formula, I'd like to be able to see a list of the defined names, and select a name from the dropdown list. For example, when entering SUM(Sales, Commissions), I'd like to be able to select Sales and Commissions from a dropdown list, rather than having to remember the names and type them exactly. Maybe I'm overlooking something obvious, but I can't figure out how to do this. Thanks for any suggestions. When entering the formula, Hit F5, and you get a list of names there. -- HTH Bob Phillips (replace...

create proxy client class or web service method without using wsdl
Hi, Is it possible to create a proxy client class or a web service method by VS.NET without using wsdl? My stupid client is using a xml schema (.xsd) to describe all their web service methods (and my webmethods) by Java (Apache toolkit) instead of using WSDL. What should I do? Thanks a lot! Raymond Raymond, Yes, you can create a proxy by hand, but it may take a little bit of work, depending on how complex their message types are. It would be fairly simple for RPC formatted messages with primitive parameter types, but may require some work for document-literal messages. The best way to ge...

Clogged my sent box with big mb emails
I cannot send emails because I mistakenly tried to send a 120MB email. Now my sent function is frozen and the email won't send. I am not being allowed to delete it. Can you help? Casey F. wrote: > I cannot send emails because I mistakenly tried to send a 120MB email. Now my > sent function is frozen and the email won't send. I am not being allowed to > delete it. Can you help? Click File and check Work Offline. Close and then restart Outlook. Delete the message. Click File and uncheck Work Offline. If that doesn't work, try this: http://www.outlook...

Can't create a new user with a mail box automatically with Active Dir #2
I have 2003 server with Active Directory and Exchange installed. When i click Create -> "User" and reach the dialog to create an Exchange mail box, the "Mailbox Store" drop down list is empty. Which has the effect that the "Next" button is disabled and I can't create a mailbox attached to that account. Where can I find that setting or what should I do? Thanks in advance /Mac Check and make sure the account you are using to create the new users has at least Exchange View-Only administrator in Exchange System Manager. Right-click on either ...

auto save excel file every 10 minutes to its original file name
How can I automatically save Excel Workbooks every few minutes to the file name as I could with Office 2000? tools/options/save tab....set autorecover and it's location.....this is all i know on this "MEG" wrote: > How can I automatically save Excel Workbooks every few minutes to the file > name as I could with Office 2000? xl2k (and below) come with an autosave.xla addin. Look under Tools|Addins for autosave. If you don't see it there, you'll have to install it from the distribution CD. After it's installed, you can turn it on via tools|Addins. There...

CRM 1.2 attachments
Hi there, in MS CRM 1.2 there is a limit of the path/file name length, when you want to upload an attachment. You can only upload an attachment with path/file name length of maximum 185 characters. Is there a way to avoid this limit? Thanks for your replies, Florian ...

Name could not be resolved
I want to add one more profiles in Outlook but encounter error saying "The name could not be resolved". Existing profiles on that computer work fine. I tried to add the profile to another computer and it worked there also. Seems the problem is just happening on the first computer. Network connection works fine, internet access, server access, both work fine... Did anyone meet this problem? Any solution? Thanks in advance. Sam ...

Same domain name in ex2003 problem (expert only)
Hi all, My environment as below: Domain: abc.com Site A: AD + ex 2003 (external mail server and mx record) email account: ws2@abc.com Site B: AD + ex 2003 (internal mail server) email account: ws1@abc.com, Site A and Site B no link up together and no relationship SiteB, when i send email to ws1@abc.com using site B ex2003 is ok, but i try to send ws2@abc.com fail. How can i do that in site B can send to Site A which using Site B ex2003? Pls advise!!! http://support.microsoft.com/?id=321721 You are looking at sharing the smtp address space. See if the above KB ...

_MSCRM collation name
Hi, I installed SQL server with collation 1257 baltic, because we have some specific letters. After crm installation new databases is created: <<Organization Name>>_CRMCRYSTAL <<Organization Name>>_METABASE <<Organization Name>>_MSCRM <<Organization Name>>_MSCRMDistribution _METABASE and _MSCRM collation name is Latin1_General_CI_AS, while all other databeses including and _CRMCRYSTAL and _MSCRMDistirbution have the same SQL_Latin1_General_CP1257_CS_AS collation name. I need insert date dvice a day to _MSCRM database, but because of collation...

Trying to do progress bar
I have a Form with a progress bar and a thread that should update the progress every quarter of a second. The operation being monitored for progress on is a file loading job. So I start off the monitor like this: long currprogress = 0; FileInfo info = new FileInfo(currFile); long maxprogress = info.Length / 100; bool IsMonitoring = true; Thread monitor = new Thread(new ThreadStart(RunMonitor)); monitor.Start(); (the scope of these variables is class level though, just made them local scope for easier reading) Then my RunMonitor method looks like: private void RunMonit...

Named Format equivalent to the FormatNumber function
Is there a named format that I can use in a Format function that gives the same result as the FormatNumber function (uses the Windows Regional "Number" Setting)? i.e., what "?????" can I use so that =Format("123","?????") gives the same result as =FormatNumber("123") ? Bob. On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 22:11:18 -0700, "Bob Howard" <info@churchtrax.com> wrote: >Is there a named format that I can use in a Format function that gives the >same result as the FormatNumber function (uses the Windows Regional "Number"...

INDIRECT formula not working
Hi, What am I doing wrong here... This formuals does not work: =INDIRECT("'"&"YUNUS"&"-"&A3&"-"&B3&" "&"GD0" &"'!Q1") where A & B are cell references used in the naming of many worksheets I am attempting to obtain the value in Cell Q1 of worksheets: YUNUS-A3-B3 GD0 YUNUS-A4-B4 GD0 YUNUS-A5-B5 GD0 YUNUS-A6-B6 GD0 YUNUS-A7-B7 GD0 YUNUS-A8-B8 GD0 On Thu, 8 Mar 2012 22:27:39 -0000, Yunus <yunus786@btopenworld.com> wrote: > >Hi, > >What am I doing wrong h...

Using name@domain.com and not name@domain.local
Hello, I have an AD that name is insae-bj.local. I have an Internet domain name that is insae-bj.com. I'm using exchange server 2003. I have for the moment my email adresses like name@insae-bj.local and I want to transform them on name@insae-bj.com . How can I do this. Thanks. Recipient Policy. -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT www.zenprise.com blog: www.suneja.com/blog ----------------------------------------- "Derick AGUEY-ZINSOU @h2com.com>" <derickagu<nospam> wrote in message news:uDlsAbbLGHA.1028@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Hello, > I have an AD that name ...

Change name?
How do I change the name that is in the microsoft.public.excel.misc column "From". Thanks, Roger Since you use outlook express you have to do it there tools>account and select the news account in question and click properties then change the name -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Roger Bedford" <rb10@canada.com> wrote in message news:O1lwmwoTFHA.4056@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > How do I change the name that is in the microsoft.public.excel.misc column > "From". > > Thanks, > > Roger > ...

INDIRECT
I would be grateful for any halp with this. I am trying to reference a cell in a different workbook using the INDIRECT function but I am returning #REF. This is the formula I am using : ='S:\Regular Procedural Reports - Test Folder AM\Credit Database 2010 version\[indirect(+M16).xls]rPortfolioAnalysis'!$S$66 Can anyone please help? Many thanks, Andrew The function you'd want to use is =indirect(). But =indirect() won't work if the sending file is closed. Laurent Longre has an addin (morefunc.xll) at: http://xcell05.free.fr/ or http://xcell05.f...

summing cells with variables
I need to sum a group of cells, but the column is dependent on another equation. Therefore I know that I want to sum from G1 and I know that I want to sum to the 13th row and kth column where k is a number that has been calculated using the MATCH function. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Jeff Something like =SUM(OFFSET(A13,,,MATCH("t",H1:H25,0))) -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "jeff" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3d0601c52019$4dcc8f10$a601280a@phx.gbl... > I need to sum a group ...

naming sheets
hi guys! is there a way to rename multiple sheets in a workbook at the same time, keeping them in sequential order? for example instead of sheet 1. sheet 2, etc. i could rename it my data1, my data 2... TIA James Hi you have to use VBA for this which cycles through your sheet names -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany James wrote: > hi guys! > is there a way to rename multiple sheets in a workbook at the same > time, keeping them in sequential order? for example instead of sheet > 1. sheet 2, etc. > i could rename it my data1, my data 2... > > > TIA >...

indirect INDIRECT
definitely works. You got it. Thanks. One more problem, which I'll post separately...If I use the Indirect method, I can only be on step removed from the value. In other words, it seems I can't use in the Indirect argument a cell (or combination of cells) that spell the name of the range I want. Example: A1 = b2 b2 = 2 C2= A C3 = 1 A2 is named test Indirect (A2) gives me 2...great Indirect (text(c2,"#")&text(c3,"#")) gives b2, as opposed to 2, which is what I want. Boris =INDIRECT(INDIRECT(C2&C3)) HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Orig...

Text Boxes cut off or split over pages
Hi, I have a report with three subreports. They are set to can grow and shrink if needed. The problem I'm having is that the first page is showing the header for the second subreport and then the second page is showing the text box that comes after the second subreport. There are two lines of text and between the two pages that are missing. First, I had the problem with the header for the second subreport being split between the two pages. I adjusted the margins and now the header is there but not the text. If anyone can help resolve this frustrating issue, it will be greatly appreciate...

Methods interruptable
I have an SDI app with a FormView. Within the form view I have buttons and a timer. If I'm currently processing a button click message can the timer interrupt than. And like wise if I'm processing a timer message can a button click interrupt that. I'm running with the staticly linked multithreaded libraries. BTW: I donot what them to interrupt each other. If then can interrupt each other whats the best way to prevent it with out losing timer events or button clicks. Thanks Steven C wrote: > I have an SDI app with a FormView. Within the form view I have > buttons and...

Passing Variables
Sorry to keep asking questions about passing variables, but here is another one hope you can help. I have a macro that received one set of values so I call it Macro1(X), where X is the value that is received. But Macro1(X) calculates about 20 other variables Y,Z,A,.... using the value X. If I call Macro1(X) and I need one of the variables how do I get it, do I have to declare global variables. Thanks First of all, ensure that you have Option Explicit as the very first line in the code module (before and outside of any procedure). This will force you to declare all your variable rat...

SQL Change Column name
I am using VB6 as a front end to an Access97 database. My computer has Access2003 and won't let me edit the columns, tables, etc. I can add/change data, but not the underlying structure of the database. I have found & modified a VB front end that will allow me to add/drop tables, add/drop columns, etc. But it doesn't have an option to change a column name. I've done a bunch of googling on it, and know that using ALTER TABLE and CHANGE is supposed to do it, but it's not, so I'm wondering if CHANGE is not compatible with Access97. The SQL statement I'm usi...

Question indirectly related to Money 2004/2005
Hi all, I've got a question that is indirectly related to Money 2004 onwards. I have designed a software application for recipes that has an interface similar to Money 2004+, in the following ways: 1. UI Layout is the same (ie, Menubar, toolbar, taskpad, main panel, help pane, etc) 2. A tabbed toolbar like Money 2005 is also included 3. Color scheme for the menubar is similar to Money 2004 4. The task-based homepage is the same as in Money 2004, and uses the same color scheme, style and layout. The html and css files of Money were used as a starting/learning point. I would also like to...

How to un-concatenate a field with full name
I have a filed called "Contact" that has the full first and last name - is there a way to break this field into 2 fields - "first name", 'last name" ??? How do you find where to split the field? Thanks Take a look at "InStr" function in vba -- sam "Patricia" wrote: > I have a filed called "Contact" that has the full first and last name - is > there a way to break this field into 2 fields - "first name", 'last name" ??? > How do you find where to split the field? > > Thanks Patricia GOOD ...

Excel Returns for a Named Formula ; How is it gonna be Regular or Array Flavoured ?
1. Enter an Excel worksheet cell to construct a formula and thereof Insert a Named Formula via the Define Name dialog box. 2. Partial evaluation pertaining to that part of the Named Formula (inside the cell formula) shows a variety of observations such as the following :- 3a. The most notable ones could be {3} and such like (namely, an integer or a real number, depicted as a single element array). 3b. Another surprising case would be {1;2;3;4;5;6;7;8;9} (i.e., an array of multiple elements). 3c. Less than a spectacle is a plain number (without being clad in a pair of curly brackets). 4. A...