Importing text file #2

I am importing a rather larger text file into excel, the entire thing will
not import onto one sheet.  How do I import what did not fit onto the first
sheet without reimporting what I just imported
0
Jillianno (1)

You can slice it into several text files offline.  Copy the code at the end
of this message into Notepad and save it with a .VBS extension.
Double-click it to run.
--
Jim Rech
Excel MVP

"Jillianno" <Jillianno@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
|I am importing a rather larger text file into excel, the entire thing will
| not import onto one sheet.  How do I import what did not fit onto the
first
| sheet without reimporting what I just imported

Dim fso, fileSource, fileDest
Dim fileSourceNoExt,fileSourceExt
Dim lineCount, txtLine
Dim wsh, tempFile
Dim fileCount, dotPos

Set wsh = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
''Set sh = CreateObject("Shell.Application")

tempFile = InputBox("Enter the full path and name of file", "Long Text File
Parser")

''The following would not return a file, just a folder object, even tho with
the 16896 it displays files
''tempFile = sh.BrowseForFolder(0, "Select a Folder", 16896, "c:\")

If tempFile <> "" Then
  If fso.FileExists(tempFile) Then
    dotPos = InStrRev(tempFile,".")
    If dotPos > 0 Then
      fileSourceNoExt = Left(tempFile, dotPos-1)
      fileSourceExt = Mid(tempFile,dotPos)
    Else
      fileSourceNoExt = tempFile
    End If
    Set fileSource = fso.OpenTextFile(tempFile)
    Do While fileSource.AtEndOfLine <> True
      If lineCount = 0 Then
        FileCount = FileCount + 1
        Set fileDest = fso.CreateTextFile(fileSourceNoExt & FileCount &
fileSourceExt, True)
      End If
      txtLine = fileSource.ReadLine
      fileDest.WriteLine txtLine
      lineCount = lineCount + 1
      If lineCount = 65536 Then
        fileDest.Close
        lineCount = 0
      End If
    Loop

    fileSource.Close

    wsh.Popup "Done!", 1, "Long Text File Parser"
  Else
    wsh.Popup "Source file not found", 2, "Long Text File Parser"
  End if
End If

0
jrrech (1933)

Importing messages #6

Import and export

Importing data

Opening Lotus *.123 files in Excel
Is there a convertion filter for opening Lotus *.123 files in Excel. I can convert *.wk? files, but I am unable to open *.123 (Lotus 1-2-3 Release 9 for Windows) files "Jim Warren" <Jim Warren@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote... >Is there a convertion filter for opening Lotus *.123 files in Excel. >I can convert *.wk? files, but I am unable to open *.123 (Lotus 1-2-3 >Release 9 for Windows) files The .wk? file formats predated Microsoft securing +90% market share, so way back then they had to compete in terms of interoperability. The .123 file format came after Mi...

excel 97 xml import

Need help with exel database #2
I have a database in exel with names, addresses and other information. I have a pre-written letter that I want to send out to each of the names in the database. My question is if I can somehow have exel automatically create a seperate letter in Word for each Name in the database and have the correct data go into the correct fields in the pre-written letter. Is that possible? Thanks for any input. Look at Mail Merge in MS Word and your worksheet as the data source "john2004" wrote: > I have a database in exel with names, addresses and other information. I > have a ...

PUBLISHER TEXT BOX PROBLEMS
HOW DO I MAKE THE BACKGROUND OF A TEXT BOX BLACK AND THE WRITING WHITE? I CAN ONLY SEEM TO MAKE THE WHOLE PAGE BLACK. Three steps are needed. #1 Replace or fix your keyboard so it isn't stuck on Caps Lock. #2 Select the text frame and then color it black. #3 With the text frame selected, use Ctrl-A to highlight all text and click on the text color icon to choose white. -- Ron "cataloguemaker" <cataloguemaker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CCAF0C9F-1FE2-4A76-9431-CCB37FFCFF68@microsoft.com... > HOW DO I MAKE THE BACKGROUND OF A TEXT BOX BLACK AND ...

Importing JEs through the Table Import

Importing Dynamic data

recover damaged excel file
I have a workbook creater with Excel 2000 just a few days ago but there's no way to open it. Coud anyone give me any suggestion? Hi, what message do you get?, ask your IT department usually they backup all the files, did you send the file to somebody? "Nora_Italy" wrote: > I have a workbook creater with Excel 2000 just a few days ago but there's no > way to open it. Coud anyone give me any suggestion? Thank you Eduardo. I don't get any error message, the file just doesn't open. Unfortunatately we backup files only once a month and I created...

Capturing "text" instead of the formula
I have the following code snippet: Pass = 0 Fail = 0 For i = 9 To (ZeroRow - 3) Step 8 If Cells(i, "H").Value = Pass Then Pass = Pass + 1 Else Fail = Fail + 1 End If Next The cells I'm referring to actually have formulas in them but when you look at the worksheet the cells have either "Pass" or "Fail" in them. That's what I'm trying to capture. But when I run this code it doesn't see "Pass" in any of the cells so all of them in the for loop get assigned to Fail. I've tried putting t...

Importing a CSV file

Make a complete list of words from texts in a range
Hey guys - again :) My challenge today is as follow: Sheet = "TEXT" In column A i have several celles with texts/comments - words/ sentences I want to split all the texts into singel words and make a word-list of all used words of this column A - and copy the words into a new sheet (sheet = "WORDS") column A as my complete word-list. I have no idea of how to do this. After producing this word-list I will remove the doublettes and sort it - this of course I CAN do bmy own "skills". Will anyone please help me? Kindly regards Snoopy On Fri, 27 ...

Create pivot table from 2 worksheets
How do I create 1 pivot table that draws data from 2 worksheets? -- MichaelKoh ------------------------------------------------------------------------ MichaelKoh's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=22956 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=480774 You can create a pivot table from data on separate sheets (multiple consolidation ranges), but the results may not be exactly what you want. There's more information here: http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot08.html MichaelKoh wrote: > How do I create 1 pivot ...

Import DB from CRM 1.2 to 3.0

Back up file function no longer works
Although we have previously had no problem with running a backup of our Money 2002 file on file close, we now get an error message saying that "The operation cannot be performed." The filename is the same it always was. Any ideas? ...

Watermark behind text in the footer?
Hello Excel experts! I'm working on a spreadsheet of about 50 pages in Excel 2003. Ideally, the client would like each page to have a footer with a number 1, 2, 3, etc... in the bottom right hand corner...identifying his content. These are not page numbers he wants, just a simple numbering sequence. I can handle THAT part! LOL What he'd also like is a watermark type of graphic to sit *behind* each number. For example, let's say that he'd like each number super-imposed onto a maple leaf background. I've managed to get the maple leaf background (graphic) to sit on eit...

File Size
Please note that this is not your typical file size question. I have a macro-enabled Excel 2007 file that varies in size from 15-100Mb depending on how much data I populate it with. Every day, in order to email this file out, I alter it by doing the following: Select all tabs (11 in all). Select all cells Copy/Paste Values Delete 5 of the tabs Save as a new Excel Workbook (not macro enabled) The new file size is now roughly 600Kb. However, all of a sudden, the changed file is about 2Mb. I made sure to delete all the excess rows/columns. I deleted the one macro that I h...

RMS 2.0 / Pccharge / Debit module / Ingenico 6550
Has anyone been able to get the Ingenico 6550 to work with Pccharge debit module? I'm able to do credit card transactions but I'm having trouble getting the 6550 to do debit. I did purchase the RMS debit module from Verifone and install it. The message I get when I try a debit transaction is: " PCcharge debit configuration information is missing - please configure and perform debit transaction again" I believe I've installed it correctly but from the message I must be missing something. I know that RMS supports the 6550 but I believe its only if you use the bui...

importing email

import pdf table