Importing numbers from 200 worksheets into 1

I wish to import numeric data from numerous worksheets, say upto 200, into an
overall summary page.
For example, I have 200 projects, thus each worksheet is named Prj1, Prj2,
etc. In each of these I enter the numbers of hours that the workforce book to
these projects. The list of workforce members can be up to 100 different
designations, and different projects necessarily do not use the same
combination of the workforce. For example:

			Column C		Column E
Prj1 	row 17	lead electrical engineer 	200
	Row 23	Senior mechanical engineer 	450
	Row 51	Junior piping engineer 	700
Prj2	row 9	lead mechanical engineer 	50
	Row 33	Senior piping designer 	900
	Row 94	Draftsman 			1100

The overall summary sheet takes the form of a table of projects in column A,
and the workforce in B through to CW (100 different designations) Thus the
data is in a column in the project worksheet, and in a row in the summary
sheet! (I cannot alter this as these are industry practices!)

My objective is to enter numbers into PrjX, and have these pulled into the
summary sheet, and placed into their correct cell!

Hopefully I have adequately explained this, and someone will have some ideas
as to how this can be done!

I made a couple of assumptions; first, that the 200 worksheets and the
summary sheet are in the same .xls workbook.  Second is that the list of
projects on the summary sheet match the individual project sheet tab names
precisely (spelling and case); and last that the list of job titles on the
summary sheet and those on the project sheets also match precisely.

Start by making a copy of your workbook just in case things go wrong.  Open
that copy and press [Alt]+[F11] to open the Visual Basic (VB) Editor.  Then
choose Insert --> Module to bring up an empty code module.  Copy the code
below and paste it into the code module, and make any edits to the Const
values in it that need to be made to match things up properly (I tried to
match based on your posting, but double check things such as the name of the
Summary sheet).  Close the VB editor.

Choose the summary sheet and use Tools --> Macro --> Macros to [Run] the
macro.  Should work for you.  If any project name or job title name doesn't
match, you'll get a message at the end saying so; or you'll get a message
saying that things went very, very well.

Here's the code:

Sub BuildSummaryPage()
  'change these constants as required
  '
  'about the Summary sheet
  Const summaryName = "Summary" ' sheet name
  Const rowWithLaborTitles = 1
  Const colWithProjNumbers = "A"

  'about the individual project sheets
  Const JobTitlesCol = "C"
  Const HrsWorkedCol = "E"
  'next value is first row on the
  'project sheets with a job position
  'on it.  Assumed row 1 has a label.
  Const firstDataRow = 2
  'end of user definable values
  '
  Dim summaryWS As Worksheet
  Dim listOfPositions As Range
  Dim anyPosition As Range
  Dim listOfProjects As Range
  Dim anyProject As Range
  Dim offset2Hours As Integer
  Dim projectRow As Long
  Dim projectColumn As Long

  Dim projectWS As Worksheet
  Dim projectName As String ' from sheet tabs
  Dim currentTitlesList As Range
  Dim anyCurrentTitle As Range
  Dim searchResult As Range
  Dim errorFlag As Boolean

  'set up to look through the Summary sheet
  Set summaryWS = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets(summaryName)
  Set listOfPositions = summaryWS.Range("B1:CW1")
  Set listOfProjects = summaryWS.Range("A1:" & _
   summaryWS.Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Address)
  offset2Hours = Range(HrsWorkedCol & 1).Column - _
   Range(JobTitlesCol & 1).Column
  'clear out any previous results within the grid
  'from B2 over and down to last used row and column
  'borrow currentTitlesList for this operation
  Set currentTitlesList = summaryWS.Range("B2:" & _
   Cells(summaryWS.UsedRange.Rows.Count, _
    summaryWS.UsedRange.Columns.Count).Address)
  currentTitlesList.ClearContents
  Set currentTitlesList = Nothing
'now we can actually get down to work
  For Each projectWS In ThisWorkbook.Worksheets
    'skip the summary sheet itself
    projectName = projectWS.Name
    If projectName <> summaryName Then
      'assumed to be a project sheet, process it
      'get list of job titles from the sheet
      '
      'find the project on the Summary sheet
      Set searchResult = listOfProjects. _
       Find(what:=projectName, LookIn:=xlValues)
      If Not searchResult Is Nothing Then
        'found the project, save row from Summary sheet
        projectRow = searchResult.Row
        'get reference to job titles on project sheet
        Set currentTitlesList = _
         projectWS.Range(JobTitlesCol & firstDataRow & ":" _
         & projectWS.Range(JobTitlesCol & Rows.Count). _
         End(xlUp).Address)
        'get each title for the project in turn and
        'match to title in row 1 of the Summary sheet
        For Each anyCurrentTitle In currentTitlesList
          Set searchResult = listOfPositions. _
           Find(what:=anyCurrentTitle, LookIn:=xlValues)
          If Not searchResult Is Nothing Then
            'found it
            'add to any previous hours for same position on
            'this same project
            summaryWS.Cells(projectRow, searchResult.Column) = _
             summaryWS.Cells(projectRow, searchResult.Column) + _
             anyCurrentTitle.Offset(0, offset2Hours)
          Else
            'could report no match on labor title here
            errorFlag = True
          End If
        Next
      Else
        'could report no match on Project title here
        errorFlag = True
      End If
    End If
  Next
  'do housekeeping
  Set currentTitlesList = Nothing
  Set listOfPositions = Nothing
  Set listOfProjects = Nothing
  Set summaryWS = Nothing
  If errorFlag Then
    MsgBox "Task completed. But with some 'not found' errors.", _
     vbOKOnly + vbCritical, "Task Complete"
  Else
    MsgBox "Task completed without apparent errors.", _
     vbOKOnly + vbInformation, "Task Complete"
  End If
End Sub

"Al" wrote:

> I wish to import numeric data from numerous worksheets, say upto 200, into an
> overall summary page.
> For example, I have 200 projects, thus each worksheet is named Prj1, Prj2,
> etc. In each of these I enter the numbers of hours that the workforce book to
> these projects. The list of workforce members can be up to 100 different
> designations, and different projects necessarily do not use the same
> combination of the workforce. For example:
>
> 			Column C		Column E
> Prj1 	row 17	lead electrical engineer 	200
> 	Row 23	Senior mechanical engineer 	450
> 	Row 51	Junior piping engineer 	700
> Prj2	row 9	lead mechanical engineer 	50
> 	Row 33	Senior piping designer 	900
> 	Row 94	Draftsman 			1100
>

> The overall summary sheet takes the form of a table of projects in column A,
> and the workforce in B through to CW (100 different designations) Thus the
> data is in a column in the project worksheet, and in a row in the summary
> sheet! (I cannot alter this as these are industry practices!)
>
> My objective is to enter numbers into PrjX, and have these pulled into the
> summary sheet, and placed into their correct cell!
>
> Hopefully I have adequately explained this, and someone will have some ideas
> as to how this can be done!

Firstly, re your assumptions:
1 - they currently are, however I am looking to separate them eventually, so
as to avoid problems withi distribution.
2 - list of projects on the summary sheet match the individual project sheet
tab names precisely? Yes, there are gaps in the column of project names in
the summary sheet so as to improve presentation. Is this a problem?
3 - list of job titles on the summary sheet and those on the project sheets
also match precisely? Not exactly! In the project sheets, I will have, say, a
title of "Lead Engineer", however each of the engineer types in the company
also has such a title (Lead Mechanical, Lead Process, Lead Electrical, etc,
etc) thus I will have many lead engineer titles in the project sheet. I can
draw the distinction between these titles in the project sheet, by one of two
ways: have another column that has the "type" - Process, Instrumentation,
Mechanical, etc - or to actually name them Lead Electrical Engineer, Lead
Process Engineer. In the overall summary sheet, however, I would not want to
do the latter as the columns in the summary sheet are already grouped
according to type. (ie, all Process personnel are in columns K-Y, all
electrical in AA - AK, etc.)
The task will be to ensure that the number entered against "Lead Process
Engineer" in the project sheet, say 'Prj!C93, gets pulled into the summary
sheet into the correct column/row, say 'Summary!M109!

Now, coming to your code....looks very daunting for a VBA novice, but I will
have a go, and see what happens! Thanks very much, I will get back to you in
a few days!
Al

"JLatham" wrote:

> [...]
> > designations, and different projects necessarily do not use the same
> > combination of the workforce. For example:
> >
> > 			Column C		Column E
> > Prj1 	row 17	lead electrical engineer 	200
> > 	Row 23	Senior mechanical engineer 	450
> > 	Row 51	Junior piping engineer 	700
> > Prj2	row 9	lead mechanical engineer 	50
> > 	Row 33	Senior piping designer 	900
> > 	Row 94	Draftsman 			1100
> >

> > The overall summary sheet takes the form of a table of projects in column A,
> > and the workforce in B through to CW (100 different designations) Thus the
> > data is in a column in the project worksheet, and in a row in the summary
> > sheet! (I cannot alter this as these are industry practices!)
> >
> > My objective is to enter numbers into PrjX, and have these pulled into the
> > summary sheet, and placed into their correct cell!
> >
> > Hopefully I have adequately explained this, and someone will have some ideas

hi i have a way to do this but i require the workbook to do it.....

If you dont mind send it to angelshree101@yahoo.co.in

Al wrote:

Importing numbers from 200 worksheets into 1
16-Jan-10

[...]

Beer - Words To Live By
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/8c4ba353-b6b8-457b-9c25-7085092dc09c/beer--words-to-live-by.aspx
0
Sunil
1/23/2010 10:49:44 AM
How did it go, or have you given it a try yet.
If you're having any trouble with the code, you can try sending the workbook
to me as an attachment to an email to (remove spaces)
Help From @jlatham site. com
and remind me of the title of your post "Importing data from 200 worksheets"
so I can refresh my memory about it all.

"Al" wrote:

> [...]
> > > designations, and different projects necessarily do not use the same
> > > combination of the workforce. For example:
> > >
> > > 			Column C		Column E
> > > Prj1 	row 17	lead electrical engineer 	200
> > > 	Row 23	Senior mechanical engineer 	450
> > > 	Row 51	Junior piping engineer 	700
> > > Prj2	row 9	lead mechanical engineer 	50
> > > 	Row 33	Senior piping designer 	900
> > > 	Row 94	Draftsman 			1100
> > >

> > > The overall summary sheet takes the form of a table of projects in column A,
> > > and the workforce in B through to CW (100 different designations) Thus the
> > > data is in a column in the project worksheet, and in a row in the summary
> > > sheet! (I cannot alter this as these are industry practices!)
> > >
> > > My objective is to enter numbers into PrjX, and have these pulled into the
> > > summary sheet, and placed into their correct cell!
> > >
> > > Hopefully I have adequately explained this, and someone will have some ideas

Import and export

Importing messages #6

Importing data

excel 97 xml import

Emailing worksheets in body
When I try to send a worksheet in the body of an email, i only gets options to mail recipient (for review) and mail recipient (as attachment), I no longer can just send an email with the worksheet in the body. How can I change this. I also just installed Adobe Professional 6.0 which has review features to it, I don't know if that affected my Excel or not. ...

Importing JEs through the Table Import

Importing Dynamic data

Importing a CSV file

Activation Number #2
-----Original Message----- From: "Tom Whalen" Sent: 11/1/2003 4:27:05 PM Subject: Activation Number I recently downloaded Money 2004 and installed it with no problems. I've just installed a new hard drive and for some reason I lost the downloaded file. Someone told me that I could re-download the software for up to 5 times. Can someone email me and let me know the address for the download. thanks, Tom Whalen .. ...

Enter a list of numbers
I'm having a bad day. I want for my users to be able to enter a list of numbers. The numbers will be 6 digits, no alphas. But i don't know how many numbers will be entered, from 1 to 20 ish. They are to be stored with the rest of the details on the form. What would be the best way to do this? 1 field on the form if so what sort text or list box with no row source, or a linked subform? What format restrictions can I put on the entry to ensure they only enter numbers? Thanks in advance Dean Dean, If you do not know the amount of numbers to be entered then I would use a linked Ta...

Create pivot table from 2 worksheets
How do I create 1 pivot table that draws data from 2 worksheets? -- MichaelKoh ------------------------------------------------------------------------ MichaelKoh's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=22956 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=480774 You can create a pivot table from data on separate sheets (multiple consolidation ranges), but the results may not be exactly what you want. There's more information here: http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot08.html MichaelKoh wrote: > How do I create 1 pivot ...

Import DB from CRM 1.2 to 3.0

Don't count header as Row 1?
Will Excel allow a user to remove the header from the row count (it defaults as Row 1), so that a true count is rendered a list, such as a mailing database, rather than having to subtract 1 from the final tally? Thanks! -- jenniferlynnlee ------------------------------------------------------------------------ jenniferlynnlee's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=9377 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=493125 Don't think so, minus 1 is the way. -- HTH Bob Phillips (remove nothere from email address if mail...

importing email

ERROR AFTER CUSTOMIZATION IN MSCRM 1.2
Hi! I have installed MsCRM 1.2, nad the installation was succesfully. But, when i try to customization one or more fields this is the result: i create in Deployment Manager new attribute (for example lead's attribute). Creation was succesfully without error. In the CRM i add the new field into lead's form. Save this configuration. In Deployment Manager i pubblish this customization: the pubblishing was successfully.I Restart IIS. After this default operation about fields customization, i try to open the new form for see the new field into CRM's object (in my test lead) but when...

import pdf table

Any IF(A2=font color=red", "1", "0") in excel? Or a way to do it?
Function GetColorindex(rng As Range) GetColindex = rng.Interior.Colorindex End Function =If(GetColorindex(A2)=3,1,0) -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Steve" <Steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:57BCF230-A4CF-4D76-9E1E-D94B99B54235@microsoft.com... > ...

column corresponding to row number
I have 63 file. My data set on to column X, and G2 is row number related to column X. I need to macro or formula, when run it on any file, copy of column X paste to new file(R.xls) in sheet1 on column H and set to actual row number. For example: G2 is 7800 (row number), now, run macro, then copy of column X, paste to actual row (H 7800) of new file (R.xls), When open second file, (G2 is 5344), column H copy to R.xls and set to I5344. This process is repeated on 63 file. any help will be greatly appreciated ...

2 Computers - 1 Network Drive
I have 2 computers - each with its own Outlook 2007 (yes, I bought two separate copies). I also have a network drive. Can I have one set of outlook data on my network drive so each computer may access it? What files do I need to copy to my network drive? How do I "point" Outlook on the computers to the network drive? Steve wrote: > I have 2 computers - each with its own Outlook 2007 (yes, I bought two > separate copies). I also have a network drive. > > Can I have one set of outlook data on my network drive so each computer may > access it? ...

Field missing upon XML import

Excel 2003