importing into Excel from Works?

I've been sent a .wdb file that was made in MS Works.  I
can't open it in any program.  Is there a way to import
this into Excel, Word or Access, or something?  I just
need to get at the data; don't really care what format
it's in.  Thanks!!!
0
anonymous (74722)

Generally you would normally open the file in WORKS and then save it down as a file that Excel can
read.  .xlr is a native Excel format, or .txt, .csv, dbaseIV are all formats it can read.   You
can also find a converter here if you don't have WORKS.

http://www.rl-software.com/indexjs.htm?/converter/wkscnvxls_e.htm

Text from the website above:-

Microsoft does not provide an import Excel filter for Works-WKS files later than version 2. (for
Works-WPD and Word they do). There is no standard way to convert a lot of Works-WKS files into the
Excel format. You need to save each file out of Works manually into XLS which is a pain in the
neck. Here comes our MS Works Spreadsheets to Excel Converter. It does not need a Works
Installation and you can use the batch converting wizard (see right side).
  a.. Completely integrated into Excel 97/2000/XP, no external program
  b.. Imports MS Works Spreadsheet (*.WKS) 3.x ,4.x, 200x files
  c.. Convenient, selfextracting and selfinstalling setup procedure
  d.. Can be removed completely with standard deinstall procedure
  e.. Works with Windows 9x, ME, NT 4, 2000, XP
  f.. Our RL-File-Conversion-Wizard is part of the package
  g.. Converts cell alignments, font styles, etc.
  h.. Excel helper macros to make migration easier
  i.. No need for a Works installation
  j.. Free Updates: Our registered customers can download the latest version from our download
area at any time

Two articles from Microsoft that deal with Works and the files it can open/save as.

Works: Sharing Works Files with Other Programs
   http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-ca;271080

Works: Limitations of Sharing Files with Excel
   http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-ca;269273

--
Regards
                   Sys Spec - Win XP Pro /  XL2K & XLXP

  Attitude - A little thing that makes a BIG difference

"Emily Waugh" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've been sent a .wdb file that was made in MS Works.  I
> can't open it in any program.  Is there a way to import
> this into Excel, Word or Access, or something?  I just
> need to get at the data; don't really care what format
> it's in.  Thanks!!!

---

ken.wright (2489)

Importing messages #6

Import and export

Importing data

Run excel when logged off.
Is it possible to run excel when I'm logged of the computer? I have a excel document that launches a bunch of macros. I would like to have task scheduler run it at night without me being logged in. Is that possible? Thanks, Jasper What happens when you try? Of course if you try accessing "mapped drives", you will have to fix that issue too. Jaz wrote: > Is it possible to run excel when I'm logged of the computer? > > I have a excel document that launches a bunch of macros. I would like to > have task scheduler run it at night without me being logged in...

transfer data in excel between sheets
What I am looking to do is get a function button (or similar) on sheet 1 that can recognise the data put in a column and upon a click of a button transfer data held in a certain cell elsewhere and the date onto sheet 2. If this is not possible, what the whole purpose I am trying to do is on sheet one have a=50 fields per day, where 3 figures are entered per line, 50 lines (ie 150 pieces of data per day) which calculates the average of the 3 numbers per row, and then the average of all these numbers appears in a seperate field on the spreadsheet (this I have already achieved.) Then this...

Can I export from Excel to ACT
I have a huge contact list on an Excel spreadsheet and I was hoping I would be able to export it straight into my Act contact manager. Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Parm, Look at the ways Excel can save, and compare with what ACT can take as input. In Excel, do File - Save as, and go through the formats shown in the "Save as type" box. See which, if any, Act can open or import. The csv would seem a likely one. Or txt. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "Parm" <Parm@discuss...

Opening Lotus *.123 files in Excel
Is there a convertion filter for opening Lotus *.123 files in Excel. I can convert *.wk? files, but I am unable to open *.123 (Lotus 1-2-3 Release 9 for Windows) files "Jim Warren" <Jim Warren@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote... >Is there a convertion filter for opening Lotus *.123 files in Excel. >I can convert *.wk? files, but I am unable to open *.123 (Lotus 1-2-3 >Release 9 for Windows) files The .wk? file formats predated Microsoft securing +90% market share, so way back then they had to compete in terms of interoperability. The .123 file format came after Mi...

How do i change the height and width of a single cell in Excel?
You change the height of the cell by changing the height of the entire row, and the width of the cell by changing the width of the entire column. The cell cannot be independently resized, because then all the other cells wouldn't fit. You can merge contiguous rectangular ranges together to create super-cells. Depending on your objective, merging cells may have undesired side-effects. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ lotus1107 wrote: ...

excel 97 xml import

syncing excel 2007...
hi all community members... I have excel 2007 and sync all my office 2007 files to a online backup. unfortunately for excel this is not done I have to restart my computer (windows ultimate) for it to be synced (the company is ‘humyo’ which I think is one of the best...) I phoned them up and was told I must have ‘some sort of lock’ on these workbooks. I have been through the settings and thought it was privacy/personal information but am lost. can someone please help and I look forward to a reply. very much appreciated. Paul. I can't think of anyth...

Excel graphs should allow copy & paste of individual bar formats
In excel graphs - bar charts, I make the last bar a hashed shading as it is a forcast. To do this I select only the last bar and change its formating. At the end of the month I want to change the format back to the same as all the other bars and make the new coming month's predicted value that hashed shading etc. Unfortunately excel will not allow copy and paste in this situation - so I have do open the format tab etc and then change. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggest...

Excel power toy for media playlist...
Awhile back there was a power toy that would convert a media play list so that it could be opened in Excel. Anyone got a copy or know where I could download a copy? Thanks. Frank Frank wrote: > Awhile back there was a power toy that would convert a media play list > so that it could be opened in Excel. > Anyone got a copy or know where I could download a copy? > Thanks. > Frank Never mind, I found it...the bonus pack! Frank ...

how do I type over a pic on excel
Unless you put the picture in the Background (Format/Sheet/Background), in which case it will be tiled throughout the entire sheet, you can't directly type over a picture because pictures "live" in the Drawing layer above the cells. You can make the picture transparent (Format/Picture) to see text in the cells beneath. You can also use the Camera Tool to create a linked picture of a cell and position it on top of the other picture. Set the Fill to No fill, and the border to No Line. What I do is to put a text box over the picture and format it with n lines and no fill...

Importing JEs through the Table Import

Importing Dynamic data

recover damaged excel file
I have a workbook creater with Excel 2000 just a few days ago but there's no way to open it. Coud anyone give me any suggestion? Hi, what message do you get?, ask your IT department usually they backup all the files, did you send the file to somebody? "Nora_Italy" wrote: > I have a workbook creater with Excel 2000 just a few days ago but there's no > way to open it. Coud anyone give me any suggestion? Thank you Eduardo. I don't get any error message, the file just doesn't open. Unfortunatately we backup files only once a month and I created...

Importing a CSV file

Import DB from CRM 1.2 to 3.0

Back up file function no longer works
Although we have previously had no problem with running a backup of our Money 2002 file on file close, we now get an error message saying that "The operation cannot be performed." The filename is the same it always was. Any ideas? ...

Excel 2007 Vista
When I try to opne Excel 2007 in Vista, the application appears with the lower status bar on top and greyed out, and complete blue in the middle - no spread sheet. I have to close using ALT-F4, try re-opening and it comes up that way again - then sometimes it opens up normally. Any ideas? -- Regards, Sean Liming Yes, same problem here. I thought I had tracked it down to Kaspersky Internet Security v6. Turning that off and immediately re-opening the file has worked for the last week but then it happened again last night and turning off Kaspersky had no effect. After retrying about ...

how to remove the popup that reads, "the workbook you are opening contains macros" upon opening an excel document up?
Im creating a workbook, and was thinking of using a macro. I've decided otherwise, and can not get rid of the prompt that reads: "the workbook you are opening contains macros" with the options to "enable macros","do not open" or "disable macros. This message pops up as soon as I open the document, and is causing frustration amoung other users of this document. I've since "enabled macros" and then deleted all macros I created, but I am still prompted with the above message. Does anyone know how to remove this message? Any help is much app...