Importing CSV files problem

Hi Guys,

I am currently working on a project that invloves
importing of CSV files to Excel.  Double-clicking the CSV
file opens the file automatically in Excel. We have
enclosed our data in quotation marks (i.e. "SomeData") to
prevent errors arising from strings that have commas as
part of the data.  This works fine for us.

However, The problem arises when we import data that look
like numbers written in scientific notation but are
actually some other data which should not be expressed in
scientific notation (example "1E306" is expressed
as "1E+306").

We tried putting an apostrophe character before the data,
since this works (with the apostrophe character
invisible) when you do this in Excel, but when we
import "'1E306" from a CSV file, the ouput also has an
apostrophe (i.e. "'1E306").

We perform our test by importing a CSV file containing
the following data:

"Data","1E306"

Is there a way to import the mentioned CSV file as is or
stop Excel from automatically formatting data when you
open a CSV file?

Thanks in advance,
Mon
0
rnavarro (1)

I think the easiest thing to do is to rename the .csv file to .txt.

Then record a macro (so you don't have to remember what you did) when you open
the file manually (File|Open).

You'll see the Text Import Wizard and you'll have complete control over what
fields are text or dates or general (or even skipped).

Then when you get data laid out the same way, just rerun the macro.

You could even enhance the macro to add headings/filters/page layout/subtotals
and make it more useful.

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

Publisher catelog merge- cannot open data source file
whether I try to open the source file or open a new one, I get the message: operation cannot be completed becasue of dialog or database engine failures. Please try again later. Troubleshooting advice suggestd to undate the engine from Windows update - can't find it. Does anyone have more specific troubleshooting advice? This article has a solution: You receive a "The operation cannot be completed because of dialog or data base engine failures" error message when you try to perform a mail merge by using an Outlook 2003 contact folder in Publisher 2003 http://support.mic...

BACKING UP OUTLOOK CONTACT INFO
My computer was having problems and I had to remove my hardrive and put it in another tower and so I am in the process of backing up all my data. I was trying to backup my Outlook contact/address book but am not sure how to do that? I can't open up Outlook anymore in the new tower it is givine me some error message that its not setup for the right user or something like that So I was wondering if anyone knew the NAME of the file or files that contains all that contact info for Outlook. And how to I import that later on. Thank you. All Outlook data is in one file. Outlook has ...

EXCEL PROBLEM
I OFTEN MAKE FORMS AND SPREAD SHEETS FOR OUR OFFICE USING EXCEL. THIS HAS NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE. I AM GETTING "NOT ENOUGH" POP UP BOX WHEN TRYING TO MAKE A NEW SPREAD SHEET TODAY. THE FULL MESSAGE IS "NOT ENOUGH SYSTEM RESOURCES TO DISPLAY COMPLETELY. PLEASE TELL ME THAT THIS THING IS NOT GOING TO CRASH AND I AM ABOUT TO LOSE ALL OF MY WORK. CAN SOMEONE HELP? I AM USING 97 VERSION. THANKS, JENNIFER There are a few things that can be the cause of this ... You have too many applications open. You need to clean out your temp files... You need to do a scan disk and poss...

CrystalAPS problem
I have recently reinstalled my CRM 1.2 software and attached them to an existing set of databases. The installation completed correctly but when I reboot the server the Crystal_CrystalAPS service is not started and I have the following two errors in the event log, firstly... Event Type: Error Event Source: Crystal_CrystalAPS Event Category: Services Event ID: 35101 Date: 01/02/2005 Time: 16:45:19 User: N/A Computer: QSI-UK-CRM Description: The root server reported an error Initialization Failure. (Reason: Unable to connect to the database using the provided connection string. Reason: ...

opening a lot of files
I have an installation of excel 2003 that for some reason is opening all kinds of files when it opens. As far as I can tell it is opening all visible files on the root of C drive at the moment. Any ideas on what would cause this or how can I fix its? It sounds like you set C:\ as the Alternate StartUp Directory. (Maybe you meant to use C:\ as the Default File Location instead?) Try this From the Excel main menu: <tools><options><General tab> Clear the entry in: "At startup, open all file in" Does that help? *********** Regards, Ron XL2002, WinXP "fire...

File transfer problems
I am moving excel files from one computer to another. They both have Office 2000 installed. One has 98 the other XP. I used the files transfer wizard, and also moved them manually. When I open the file on the new computer all of the pages have been changed. It seems the heighth of all of the rows has shrunk because what used to fill a page completely, now has a space at the bottom. Please help, I have 6 years of data that now looks goofy...Thanks Hi One reason could be the resolution of your screen. Maybe it is at a different setting on your new PC. Go to Control Panel / Display t...

Corrupt File Not Opening
Hi there I am in desperate need of help. I have been working on a project for school using Microsoft Project. Today when I tried opening my file I had these message pop up. I have tried opening a new document to Insert the Project, but that still did not work. Any solutions? 10836 +-------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: Error.JPG | |Download: http://forums.techarena.in/attachment.php?attachmentid=10836| +-------------------------------------------------------------------+ -...

mdf file date wrong
I hvae a client that has the log and the data file in the same place for years. Same drive, same folder, etc. )I know it's a good idea to put the log elsewhere but it's not necessary here). Anyway, my question is regarding the date of the mdf file. THis is in SQL 2000 running on Windows Server 2003. Everything is up to date. We're moving things over to SQL 2005 so I was going to do some testing last night when I noticed the date on the log file was 1/10/2010 but the date on the data file is 11/15/2009 11:57 AM. Their office has been up and running this morning for a f...

XLSX File won't open...
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel My XLSX file will not open in excel or numbers. When I try to open it it says &quot;the file might have been damaged or modified from its original format&quot;. How do I open it? I had it saved on my desktop, no where else. I accidentally tried to open it with &quot;Archive Utility&quot; (when I right clicked on the file) and it created another alias, but in a .Zip format. <br><br>This file is HUGELY important...how do I get it back &amp; be able to open it Hi, first of all, can...

Microsoft Online Seminars: Prepare Publisher 2003 Files for Commercial Printing
The following link takes you to a series of seminars for Commercial Printers that demonstrate to how to properly and successfully process Publisher 2003 files for professional output. http://www.microsoft.com/Seminar/MMCFeed/MMCDisplay.asp?Lang=en&Product=103384 -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.mvps.org/publisher This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. ...

Problems with mail enabled security groups
Exchange 2003 EE SP1 Windows 2003 SP1 Hi at All, we have the following problems sending emails to mail enabled security groups. For example we have one security group like v_abt_de_g_w wich is mail enabled. The member of this group is an other security group with some user accounts. After sending an email to this mail enabled group the email dosn't reach its target. On Exchange Message Tracking Center you can see the following Entries : SMTP : Message submitteed to advanced queing SMTP: Starting message submission to advanced queue SMTP: Message submitted to categorizer But when ...

Certain file will not open
please can someone help me, i have just migrated to vista business ultimate and use office 2007, when i now try to open certain files in Excel both in the the new .format and .xls some will not open and the program freezes, i need to sort out urgently any help greatly appreciated If you are using the 'double-click on file name' method of opening a file many people are having a problem with it taking a very long time. Until/if MS fixes it your best bet is to open a file from within Excel. -- Jim "Auz" <Auz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6D921...

LIst Ctrl Sorting Problem
Information:- ----------------- I have a ListCtrl object of REPORT style. I use LVcolumns to create the columns and LVITem to create the items of the list ctrl. I have implemented sorting of the items according to the columns. that is if there are 3 columns and i click the first column,data of items of the list ctrl get sorted in ascending order ordered by first column. on selecting each item i have to display a corresponding image. Problem: ------------ now the problem is after sorting the items, i loose track of original indexes of the items. hence images are not displayed in the same order...

Installer Problems
Hi! I had Money 2002 on my computer. I "downloaded" the Money 2004 "trial". (I have decided to purchase it soon anyway.) My question: Everytime I "click on" my Money icon on desktop, the Windows Installer trys to install it again and I can't just open money. Then a pop up comes up & says "please insert Money 2004 CD". Is there anyway around this? Especially the Windows Installer. Thanks Guys!! ...

PDF File Download
I want to offer on my website free downloadable documents that are in PDF format. What is the best way to set up a "Click Here" and the file is downloaded automatically in FP? Thank you and Merry Christmas! Tom Tom wrote: > I want to offer on my website free downloadable documents > that are in PDF format. > > What is the best way to set up a "Click Here" and the > file is downloaded automatically in FP? > > Thank you and Merry Christmas! > > Tom I fail to see what this has to do with Publisher - especially if you're using FrontPage. ...

[Exchange 5.5]: Directory Replication Problem
Dear all, I am facing very critical problem I have exchange 5.5 enterprise server connected with 7 exchange 5.5 site. All sites are in different domain with x.400 connector confgiured with two central mail server kept at two different sites. The same topology has been used for directory replication connector. All server are with service pack 2 One of my exchange server goes down due to disk failure. I am using ghost for backup purpose. I restored ghost image which is of one month old on same server with new disk. Server was not at all accepting any directory changes made on another sites. I r...

Blank e-mail problem
Using OL 2003 w/ Winxp. Recently, a few of my associates have told me that they have received my e-mails when I reply back to them, but then they open them up, and there is nothing in the body? What settings did I change, or did I pickup a virus? Thanks, RED anglirich <anglirich@lexcominc.net> wrote: > Using OL 2003 w/ Winxp. > > Recently, a few of my associates have told me that they have received > my e-mails when I reply back to them, but then they open them up, and > there is nothing in the body? > > What settings did I change, or did I pickup a viru...

Data file did not close properly #2
I have read all kinds of solutions to this error. Has any thing difinitive been offered that solves the problem. Appreciated Jerry There isnt a difinative solution as the problem can be caused by a number of differing things "Jerry" <jerry@home.home> wrote in message news:eRfw6Cs1IHA.5300@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... >I have read all kinds of solutions to this error. Has any thing difinitive >been offered that solves the problem. Appreciated > > Jerry > "Jerry" <jerry@home.home> wrote in message news:eRfw6Cs1IHA.5300@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...

Problems downloading transactions from TD Ameritrade
I am getting ETF transaction downloads fine from TD Ameritrade, but not mutual fund transactions. I get the account balance update saying that, of course, my Money Plus Deluxe balance doesn't match that of the brokerage (because it didn't get the transactions.) I thought the problem might be that I was running Money 2006, so I updated to the 2008 Money Plus Deluxe but the problem remains. TD Ameritrade tech support just shrugs their shoulders. Has anyone else had this problem with TD Ameritrade? with any other broker? What was the solution? I've tried a lot the suggestio...

Terminal server install domain problem help please
Hi everyone, this is my setup windows 2003 sbs acting as domain controller, exchange, microsoft crm ect windows 2003 standard acting as a terminal server and member server I had a problem with folder redirection which works fine but i manually had to give permission to each individual on the sbs server to the folder redirection folder, is this normal? seems cumbersum My problem is i have install microsoft crm on the 2003 sbs and now i am trying to configure access via the outlook client on the terminal server but i can only get it to work for the administrator. i noticed under the term...

Problem accessing multiple shared calendars
When a new user profile is first created on the computer for the user they can access as many shared Calendars as they have access too. The user exits outlook and starts it up again, they can only access one calendar in addition to their own. They open one calendar, then when the try to access another they get the message "The Calendar Folder Can not be found". If the user exits and restarts outlook once again, they can access their calendar, and they can then access the calendar they just got the error message on previous, but they can not access any others. Basically the...

import dialog resource from other project?
Hi guys, how can I import dialog resource from other project? Thanks Bob If you mean copy and paste, then open the "other" project's resource file (the one that has the thing you want to copy from)while you have the project that you want to paste into open, then simply open the resouce and do your copy and paste. AliR. "bbg" <bbg9507@quicksilver.net.nz> wrote in message news:zIiYe.13413$iM2.1134250@news.xtra.co.nz... > Hi guys, how can I import dialog resource from other project? > Thanks > Bob > > > ...

Problem installing Office 2007 Enterprise Edition
I have downloaded this three times. (Four actually, but it didn't work the first time) I have tried to install several times. It goes through the process, has me put in my Product Key, but when it gets to a certain point I get the message that there was an error during setup. There are no details about what the error is. I have a trial edition of Office 2007 that I cannot delete through Add/Remove Programs. I have deleted Office 2003 (also a trial version, I believe) I read another user's post that said my IT department at work should support this, but I haven'...

Is there any efficient way to find a string in a file?
I have a large file. Till now, the only way I know to search a string in it is to load the entire file in memory, and then compare them word by word. It works but also inefficient. Could you tell me a better way? Thanks. hi, If memory is a constraint you can try using memory mapped files. As far as searching for a string is concerned, you might want to consider the boyer moore algorithm. hth gangadhar npk mizi wrote: > I have a large file. Till now, the only way I know to search a string in it > is to load the entire file in memory, and then compare them word by word. > It w...

Outlook 2003 calender problem driving me nuts ! #3
Hi guys, This is my first post here - and my last hope before I go completeley insane ! I am having a problem with MS Outlook 2003 calender. I have looked extensively on the net, but can not see anything remotely like this. Every date in every view is duplicated - in the individual day boxes, and in the view header.I have attached a screen dump. Please, please, please can someone tell me what is causing this ? I have reinstalled numerous times, but it eventually returns ? Thanks in advance ...