import number data doesn't allow summing

I'm importing a txt file. one of the columns contains numbers.  After import, I am unable to sum or perform any number manipulation.  I'd appreciate any help

Thanks
Craig
0
anonymous (74718)

Hi Craig
probably the numbers are stored as text format. Try the following:
1. Format the column as number/general (goto 'Format - Cells')
2. Enter a 1 in an empty cell, select this cell and copy this cell
(CTRL+C)
3. Select the column with your numbers and goto 'Edit - Paste Special'.
Select the action 'Multiply'

That should work
Frank

craig wrote:
> I'm importing a txt file. one of the columns contains numbers.  After
> import, I am unable to sum or perform any number manipulation.  I'd
> appreciate any help.
>
> Thanks,
> Craig

0
frank.kabel (11126)
2/1/2004 11:09:54 PM
Excel is treating the imported numbers as text. There are instructions
here for converting text numbers to real numbers:

   http://www.contextures.com/xlDataEntry03.html

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)
2/1/2004 11:09:55 PM
Thank you for the quick reply and yes, I believe that it works. (I'm just seeing the formula in the cell that I've targeted to hold the results from a summing.  (the cell looks like =sum(c1:c120) ) )

0
anonymous (74718)
2/1/2004 11:21:07 PM
Hi Craig,
if you only see the formula text then you have to format this formula
cell with 'general' and re-enter the formula (or click in the formula
bar for this cell and hit ENTER - only reformating is not enough)

HTH
Frank
craig wrote:
> Thank you for the quick reply and yes, I believe that it works. (I'm
> just seeing the formula in the cell that I've targeted to hold the
> results from a summing.  (the cell looks like =sum(c1:c120) ) )

0
frank.kabel (11126)
2/1/2004 11:43:54 PM
Thank you for your offer to help.  Unfortunately the paste special doesn't change the text to number.
0
anonymous (74718)
2/3/2004 4:46:07 AM
I am running excel 2000 version (9.0.3821 SR-1)
0
anonymous (74718)

Importing messages #6

Import and export

Importing data

Transferring Data With XML?
I'm new at this. What would be the best way to transfer data in XML format from sql server A to remote sql server B? We would like to encrypt the data with ssl which we already have installed on our iis server. -- .. http://sf-f.org, weblog and search engine for fans and writers of speculative fiction. .. ...

excel 97 xml import

Load Data Under Column Headings
My data are stock prices that I want to use with Metastock. I have as column headers: Date, Stock Name, Open, High, Low, Close, Stock Code. How do I load stock data with their fields under the respective column headings, perhaps, by just clicking on the file name, without using cut & paste. How do I protect the heading row from being overwritten? ...

Excel graphs should allow copy & paste of individual bar formats
In excel graphs - bar charts, I make the last bar a hashed shading as it is a forcast. To do this I select only the last bar and change its formating. At the end of the month I want to change the format back to the same as all the other bars and make the new coming month's predicted value that hashed shading etc. Unfortunately excel will not allow copy and paste in this situation - so I have do open the format tab etc and then change. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggest...

Importing JEs through the Table Import

Flipping order of data in a column
I need to flip the order of data in a column. For example: Is: 22 10 23 Need: 23 10 22 How can I do this? I need only flip the data in a column, these cell are not a part of rows of data thus no ther data must flip with thes numbers. Obviously the data I am changing is more than 3 cells long (- -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi one way (using a helper column - if this is a one-time operation). If your data is in column A enter the following: B1: 1 B2: 2 - select B1:B2 and drag the selection down. This will populate column B with ascending numbers - Sort column A+B wit...

Importing Dynamic data

Formula needed for Sum(A1:C1) then Sum(D1:F1) in next cell
I am converting a monthly revenue table to a quarterly revenue table. I would like to add A1:C1 and put it the result in a new cell and then autofill the cell to the right of it so that it automatically adds D1:F1 for the next value A B C D E F 1 Jan Feb March April May June 2 10 12 12 13 14 15 Qtr1 Qtr 2 Qtr 3 sum A2:C2 Sum D2:F2 Etc... using autofill currently using autofill the first qtr is correct "=Sum(A2:C2) but the next cell gets filled with "=sum(B2:D2) instead of addi...

Importing a CSV file

Enter a list of numbers
I'm having a bad day. I want for my users to be able to enter a list of numbers. The numbers will be 6 digits, no alphas. But i don't know how many numbers will be entered, from 1 to 20 ish. They are to be stored with the rest of the details on the form. What would be the best way to do this? 1 field on the form if so what sort text or list box with no row source, or a linked subform? What format restrictions can I put on the entry to ensure they only enter numbers? Thanks in advance Dean Dean, If you do not know the amount of numbers to be entered then I would use a linked Ta...

Activation Number #2
-----Original Message----- From: "Tom Whalen" Sent: 11/1/2003 4:27:05 PM Subject: Activation Number I recently downloaded Money 2004 and installed it with no problems. I've just installed a new hard drive and for some reason I lost the downloaded file. Someone told me that I could re-download the software for up to 5 times. Can someone email me and let me know the address for the download. thanks, Tom Whalen .. ...

Import DB from CRM 1.2 to 3.0

Custom Zoom Form Not Updating Data
I have some code tied to the double click event for a control that opens a custom zoom form and displays the text as well as the label of that control. Right now, if I add to the text in the zoom form, it doesn't actually update the data in the table. I know I've read somewhere how to accomplish this, but my searching isn't finding it again. The code I'm using is below. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Private Sub evnt_prblm_descr_txt_DblClick(Cancel As Integer) strZoomPar = Me.name & ";" & Me.ActiveControl.name strTitle = Me!Label16.Cap...

importing email

Pivot Table from data table (not data LIST)
What are some good ways to create pivot tables when your source data is in a table format, not a list format? For example, how would you create a pivot table from a calendar, which only has days' names at the top of the table, and has numerical dates in each cell (ie a Regular calendar :) The standard way would be to create a list of numerical dates, then add a column and type in "Monday" for each date that is a Monday, "Tuesday" for each Tuesday, etc. --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ As far as I know, the PT requires the data to be in a form com...

Updating a cell with data validation when another cell is changed.
In my sheet I have cell Y2, which when it contains "y", I want it to update the validation list =IF(Y2="y",DogList,NAList) That works, but if i delete the "y" from cell Y2, the validation drop- down list doesn't change until I click onto the cell I wrote some code to try and work around this: Private Sub WorkSheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) Application.Calculation = xlCalculationManual If Target.Address = "Y2" Then Range("AJ2").Value = "" Application.Calculate End Sub But still doesn't do that I want, when I change t...

import pdf table