I want to type a text in a cell, but I want that text to represen.

I want to type text into a cell (actually the checkmark symbol in winding2)
but I want that text to represent a number.  So if I have 3 cells each with
the checkmark and each of those cells represents the number 1 when I auto sum
I will get a total of 3.
0
ExcelQ (2)

If they represent 1 you can just count them with countif

=COUNTIF(Range,"character")

regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"ExcelQ" wrote:

> I want to type text into a cell (actually the checkmark symbol in winding2)
> but I want that text to represent a number.  So if I have 3 cells each with
> the checkmark and each of those cells represents the number 1 when I auto sum
> I will get a total of 3.
0
PeoSjoblom (790)

want questions

I want more!

Edit cell value
I would like to change the value in a cell. This is a trivial question. But what I wanted to know is, how can I change the value without selecting that particular cell with the mouse, and then making the changes. Say I am using just my keyboard. How do I edit this value? you can move around using you tab key - and you can edit directly in the cell by using the F2 key Thanks. That was what I wanted to know. "pennie.thomas@ace-ina.com" wrote: > you can move around using you tab key - and you can edit directly in > the cell by using the F2 key > > ...

libcmt.lib : fatal error LNK1112: module machine type "IA64" conflicts with target machine type "IX86"
Hi group, Getting this error when i build my MFC GUI application in release configuraration with MS VC++6.0. libcmt.lib : fatal error LNK1112: module machine type "IA64" conflicts with target machine type "IX86" but in debug configuraration, fine with 0 errors and 0 warnings. please help on this regard Thanks Neel You appear to be trying to link an Itanium object file into an x86 program. joe On 2 Mar 2006 21:48:58 -0800, "Neel" <urneel@gmail.com> wrote: >Hi group, > >Getting this error when i build my MFC GUI application in release &...

Combing Cell Values
Hello, Need some help with combing cell values. I know that =value(a1&b1) example. Cell A1 = 1 Cell B1= 3 Output =13 But if A1 has a text value such as ABC, I get an error on output. With text and numeric, how do you combine? Thanks JR try leaving out value -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "JR" <gaspower@nothing.sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:mqWJb.5923$KV4.1988@newssvr29.news.prodigy.com... > Hello, > > Need some help with combing cell values. I know that =value(a1&b1) example. > > Cell A1 = 1 > Cell B1= 3 > > Ou...

Auto add new text to blank line on 2nd sheet
I'm working with a workbook containing 2 sheets. We reuse the same form to keep track of new contacts. What I want to be able to do is enter information on the first sheet and have it automatically be carried to sheet 2's first blank row. Right now, each time I fill in the first sheet, it overwrites the first row of sheet 2. Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks in advance Terry S. Instead of using a separate sheet for data entry, the Data Form may do what you need. (Select a cell in the table on sheet 2, choose Data>Form) Or, try John Walkenbach's Enhanced Data For...

Credit Card Type on the EDC Report
I need to modify EDC batch report to show either 'Credit Card Type' or starting 4 number of a credit card. We have defined tender type for each credit card but problem happens if a clerk enter Visa under tender tyep 'Amex' or vise versa, so we need to have a way separte credi transactino some thing other than tendor type. Thanks, -- Dhesi This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_002C_01CAFDB8.80429F20 Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="utf-8"; reply-type=original Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Yo...

Data Type mismatch error 3464 in Dlookup
Here is the code: Private Sub id_Part_AfterUpdate() strFilter = "pm_Part = " & Me!id_Part Me!id_Unit = DLookup("pm_Retail", "Parts", strFilter) End Sub Hi. I am getting error 3464 Data Type mismatch when I run this code. The field id_Unit is on the form and is of the type Currency. The field pm_Retail is in the Parts table and is of the type Currency. The field id_Part is on the form. The field pm_Retail is in the Parts table. This seems simple enough but I can't figure out what the type mismatch is. I would appreciate any sugges...

Text Search
I am trying to create a paramater query that will result in only the records from the word "customs" but if the user types in "customs fees" then the records should only be from "customs fees". How do you create this type of filtered search? To return all records where the string exists any place in the field you could use Criteria: Like "*" & [What Word?] & "*" If you want to match only if the exact word is included in the field things get a lot trickier depending on how you define word and whether or not your field can c...

BUG in typed dataset generation, when using maxoccurs and Simple Types??
Hi, I've looked all over for any information about this, and either this is a bug that I cannot find reported or I've misunderstood something. Lets say, in the XML Designer in VS.NET 2003, you drag over an element (call it MyElement) and add another element of type string (call it NormalElement) as a member. If you look at the generated typed Dataset code there should be just one table ("MyElementDataTable"), with one column (NormalElement). If you set maxOccurs to something greater than 1, or unbounded, then the dataset has to contain an additional table to allow for more ...

Set cell value to cell name
I have built a matrix and would like certain cells to display their cell name. ie, cell C5 would simply have C5 displayed, but if I insert a row above it should shift to C6, etc. I've searched around but can seem to find a function or formula to do it. thx Vince, =ADDRESS(ROW(), COLUMN(),4) HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "Vince" <vince.rucinski@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1126536147.003841.148050@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... >I have built a matrix and would like certain cells to display their > cell name. ie, cell C5 would simply have C5 displayed, but ...

Adding text in cells
I would like to add text to a cell just like using word. That is, being able to type a short line and hit return for the next line. Right now I can not have separate lines of text. I would like it to look something like this. The 1st stop is Dallas. Go to the top of the hill and turn right at the tee. Go 14 miles to the light and turn right again. Call me at 12:00 PM. And can parts of the text be bold or have color? Thanks, Art Type first line then hit Alt + ENTER to give a linefeed within the cell. Yes, you can boild and color text within a cell. In the formula bar select the part(s)...

how do I populate a cell with data from another worksheet,
I have two worksheets, both with similar data. Say columns are Acc No, Acc Name and VAT number. Unfortunately the VAT number does not correspond on each worksheet. How can I populate 1 worksheet with the VAT number so that the data is collected on one worksheet? I have tried VLookup, but I'm not really converant with it so would appreciate any help. Many thanks Denise ...

Text want wrap in text box

Trace Auditing Pointing to Dependent Cells in a Different Worksheet
I understand out to trace dependents and precendent cells on a worksheet with the arrows. But what if the audit references a cell in another OPEN worksheet? A worksheet icon appears, but how do I trace to the specific cell in that other worksheet? manually? Just double click on that worksheet looking thingy symbol (or on the arrow very near that symbol). You'll see "GOTO" dialog and you can choose where to go. cayo0734 wrote: > > I understand out to trace dependents and precendent cells on a > worksheet with the arrows. But what if the audit references a cell in ...

how to split a text into an array of words then rebuild the text and keep the ponctuation?
How to store all the words of a text in a table, modify some of them, then reconstruct the text by retaining the original punctuation? I tried this: words = TextBox1.Text.Split(New String() {" "c, ","c, "."c, ":"c, ";"c, "?"c, "!"c, "'"c, "`"c, "-"c}, StringSplitOptions.RemoveEmptyEntries) then : Dim WordsSpan = words.Clone Dim word As String For Each word In words word = ("<span class=""blue"" onclick=&q...

Text boxes not resizing correctly
Hello all, I have a publisher document that's made up of text boxes, and is postcard sized. When I try to resize this to fit a whole A4 page all the text boxes bunch up, even if they are grouped together. I think it has something to do with the fact that the 'keep position relative' box is disabled when I try to format the text boxes. Any idea what's going wrong? Thanks, Anna A small child turns to Ed, and exclaims: "Look! Look! A post from Anna <itssteps@yahoo.com>!"... > When I try to resize this to fit a whole A4 page all the text boxes > bunch up, ...

Flush right text ??
How do we right justify a portion of the text entry in an Excel 2007 worksheet cell? Right and left justify will shift all the text within a cell to one side or the other. However, other programs have an option for 'Flush Right' or 'Flush Right with Dot Leaders'. This allows the user to enter some left justified text, some dot leaders, and then some right justified text, all in the same cell. We would especially like to know if there is a keyboard shortcut for entering the 'Flush Right' code before typing in the right justified portion. Thank you for any hel...

Add 5 to data in text box!
What would I need for [On Click] in my Control Button that would add 5 to [tbAdditionChargeAmount] each time I clicked it? Thanks for any Help...........Bob Private Sub MyCommandButton_Click() Me!tbAdditionChargeAmount = Me!tbAdditionChargeAmount + 5 End Sub If that doesn't work, try: Private Sub MyCommandButton_Click() Me!tbAdditionChargeAmount = _ Val(Me!tbAdditionChargeAmount) + 5 End Sub -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no private e-mails, please) "Bob V" <rjvance@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message news:OJaareyxHHA.4916@T...

Go to cell based on input
Hi all In hoping someone can help I have a cell (c16) the user will input a 1 or a zero into. If its a 1 i want cell (F16) to be selected or if its a 0 cell (C17) to be selected. Cheers in Advance D -- Message posted via http://www.officekb.com Put this code in the worksheet module. Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) If Target.Address = "$C$16" Then Select Case Target.Value Case Is = "0": Range("C17").Select Case Is = "1": Range("F16").Select End Se...

Want to Add more Sub description Field

Text entered in two separate cells appear as one word in another
Text entered in two separate cells eg. A1 TOM B1 HARRIS how do I get these two words to appear as TOMHARRIS in Cell C1 Hi, =A1&B1 if you need a comma in between =A1&","&B1 if this helps please click yes, thanks "lizzie" wrote: > Text entered in two separate cells eg. A1 TOM B1 HARRIS how do I get these > two words to appear as TOMHARRIS in Cell C1 ...

How can I assign a range starting cell based on a variable locati.
I'm wondering if there is a way to assign a range starting (or ending) cell location based on a variable number. For instance, say I have cells B1 through B20 and want to take an average, but not of the entire range. Say I only want to average B5:B20 but the "5" is given to me by a separate equation. Is there a way to write =AVERAGE(B???:B20) so that the ??? is referenced to another cell? That way I can cite a range based on a variable starting point. Thanks, Dave by the way, these newsgroups are awesome see response in worksheet.functions -- HTH RP (remove not...