I Visual Basic Error "File Not Found" when Excel opens

Good afternoon. I am using XP Pro at work and My computer just started doing
this. when I open Excel, I get a message pop up that says in title "Visual
Basic Error" and in body of error window is "File Not Found". If I click on
help, says something about error 53 but when I try to look that up on
Microsoft's website, can't find what seems to apply to my issue. And now when
I go into my personal.xls to view my macros, I can get in, but if I try to
save anything, I get a window pop up saying Excel must be shut down, and then
a window pops up asking me if I want to report an error. What could be going
on? Thanks.
0
BrentE (24)

For what it's worth...
In "Trappable Errors" in VBA help, error 53 is explained as...

The file was not found where specified. This error has the following causes and solutions:
· A statement, for example, Kill, Name, or Open, refers to a file that doesn't exist.
  Check the spelling of the file name and the path specification.
· An attempt has been made to call a procedure in a dynamic-link library (DLL),
  but the library file name specified in the Lib clause of the Declare statement can't be found.
  Check the spelling of the file name and the path specification.
· In the development environment, this error occurs if you attempt to open a project or load a text file that doesn't exist.
  Check the spelling of the project name or file name and the path specification.

Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"Brent E" <BrentE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Good afternoon. I am using XP Pro at work and My computer just started doing
> this. when I open Excel, I get a message pop up that says in title "Visual
> Basic Error" and in body of error window is "File Not Found". If I click on
> help, says something about error 53 but when I try to look that up on
> Microsoft's website, can't find what seems to apply to my issue. And now when
> I go into my personal.xls to view my macros, I can get in, but if I try to
> save anything, I get a window pop up saying Excel must be shut down, and then
> a window pops up asking me if I want to report an error. What could be going
> on? Thanks.

0
jim.coneXXX (771)

I Visual Basic Error "File Not Found" when Excel opens
Good afternoon. I am using XP Pro at work and My computer just started doing this. when I open Excel, I get a message pop up that says in title "Visual Basic Error" and in body of error window is "File Not Found". If I click on help, says something about error 53 but when I try to look that up on Microsoft's website, can't find what seems to apply to my issue. And now when I go into my personal.xls to view my macros, I can get in, but if I try to save anything, I get a window pop up saying Excel must be shut down, and then a window pops up asking me if I want...

link
When I open a workbook and am promted to update links, I have three files that I get a "file not found" message with a directory of new files to choose from (for changing my source). I've tried deleting worksheets, deleting data and still am unable to resolve. I've tabbed through the cells to locate the link and used the find function. I use Excel 2000 and cannot find the "cell" that has the invalid link. Does anyone have a suggestion for find it? thanks, walter Hi, What has generally worked for me is Edit > Links > Change Source and change the...

File not found
Hi all, I have a workbook with some formula references to another workbook. All works fine except that on opening the first workbook, a "file not found" box opens trying to find a file that has not been referenced in either workbook. If I click Cancel, another "File not found" box opens looking for the "Invoice 1" file. Yet again there is no reference to this in either workbook. I have Used the Find function to see if there are any references at all in all the sheets whether in formula, value or comment and can find none. (I do not select Match case nor Find enti...

File Not Found: VBA6.DLL
Everytime I open and close EXCEL, I get a message that says "File Not Found: VBA6.DLL. I am unable to locate this file when I search the hard drive, however, there is a VBA6 folder in the following path: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VBA Can someone direct me on how to solve this problem? I don't know why you need that file as it's not part of Office but rather stand alone VB6, as far as I can tell.. You'd have to install that product to get it. If you open Excel in Safe Mode (enter "Excel.exe /s" from Start->Run (no quotes, there is a...

Microsoft Visual Basic
When I try and open up an Excel workbook (that I really need), I get "File not found" error (it says "Microsoft Visual Basic" in the blu line atop the error message). I know that the file exists - I can se it in Explorer, plus I get the same message when I try and launch th workbook from a CD-ROM to which I backed it up. Any ideas whats going on?? Thanks so much, Aryeh Bak AryehJBak@yahoo.co -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Is there a VBA routine in the Workbook_Open area that is trying to reference another excel file which has been moved. Try open...

CreateDocumentType file not found
Hi. I need to write xml export that will be used by another application. That application requires that I add a doctype delcaration to the document, referencing a certain dtd file. I do not have the file, and don't really need the declaration myself, it will be used when the document is read I suppose; how do I get around "Couldn't find file" excepption thrown by CreateDocumentType? So far I resorted to building the document without doctype, copying it to string and injecting the declaration string into it; is there a way to avoid this? Sergei Shelukhin wrote: > Hi. I n...

File Not Found: VBA6.DLL
Everytime I open/close EXCEL (Microsoft Office 2000 Premium), I get the following message: FILE NOT FOUND: VBA6.DLL I did a search on the HD for this file. I did not find that specific DLL file. I do have the following sub-directories: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VBA\VBA6 Where can I get this DLL file and what directory should it go in? Thanks, Les ...

linked file not found #2
Hi, I cut pasted some data in workbook sheet A from another workbook sheet B and then deleted workbook B. When I click on the cell it refers to workbook B, in fact gives me the full path of the value. The file is no longer there. I cant find it using windows search on the whole disk. Does anyone have any idea, what is going on? TIA/amag ...

Microsoft Visual Basic
Hello, when I open Word 2007 in Vista 32 appears this message and functions like Help or search/replace hung the program, that must be closed. Problem appeared suddenly after some months working finelly. Any idea? Thanks a lot. ...

Error - Visual Basic
When I open Excel, I get a standard error box with the heading "Microsoft Visual Basic", and the message "File not found". If I click OK, Excel Loads as normal, and when I have opened a file, my macros work correctly. The Help info supplied refers more to data files, and gives no clue. look here http://tinyurl.com/ex7w3 -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "Brian E." <brian[hyphen]edwards[at]tiscali[dot]co[dot]uk> wrote in message news:D513A9E3-9C98-4B24-95D8-81C4006EC311@microsoft.com... > When I open Excel, I get a standard ...

File not found error opening Visual Basic Editor
Hi I have some VBA code in Outlook that automates processing of some email files. Some of these functions are even part of rules I have set. This has been running well for over a month but since yesterday I can't run nor access the macros any more. Whenever I try to open Outlook Visual Basic editor I get a File Not Found error. If I insist and try again, all I get is an empty editor with all options disabled. I have already repaired office and tryed renaming the VbaProject.OTM which seems to make the error go away when I try to open VBeditor but this way my code will also go away....

File Not Found #6
I have combined several workbooks into one to make a menu driven Excel program to simplify all of our daily and weekly paperwork tasks. Now every time that I open the program, I get a file not found box that is wanting me to locate one of the files that some of the pages came from. The program works fine without finding the page, I just want to eliminate the error box popping up every time. How do I find the "link" that is requiring the old workbook to update it and get rid of this pop up? You can download Bill Manville's findlink http://www.bmsltd.ie/MVP/MVPPage.asp ...

File Not Found #3
When I send copies of a few worksheets from an Excel file that contains many other worksheets to a new file I get a File Not Found when I try to open the new file how can I get rid of the anoyance? Leslie I am wondering if you are running into a codename issue with a lot of worksheet copying. Normally this is hidden from the user. Open the workbook and then the VBE by pressing Alt+F11 On the left you should see the project explorer and the properties window. In the project explorer take a look at the sheet names. One name is the sheet tab name. The other name is the worksheet code ...

Copy Object = File Not Found Error
I'm working in XP and and developed a Database in Access 97. There was a push to upgrade. Now we're using Access 2003 and we converted the database to Access 2000. The new problem: I had developed some code to look for a Report by name and if it was not found, simply copy a specific Report and name it accordingly. This all worked fine in 97. In the new setup I receive an Microsoft Visual Basic error: File not found (Error 53). The path in the error message points to a temp folder and file called VBCxx.TMP. the x's change each time. If I go to that folder before I ex...

File not Found error
I was working on a macro in my Personal macro file and was unexpectedly kicked out of Excel. When I opened Excel I received a "File not Found" error. I can click through the error and the program opens. It doesn't appear to have damages any of my macros; however, I cannot figure out why I continue to get the "File not Found" error each time I open Excel. clean out your temp folder and see if the msg is gone. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Valerie" <vgarrow@carletonls.com> wrote in message news:4beae748.0411291103.26bd4a1@posting...

upgrading to latest service pack of 9.0, file not found error
Good morning! I'm working with a customer who is upgrading to the latest service pack of GP 9.0 (they're not ready to move to 10). We installed 9.0, then installed the latest service pack of 9.0 and receive an error when launching GP Utilities: "File not found: D:\program files\microsoft Dynamics\GP\SQL\0\Upgrade.dll.UPGRADE_9__259.DRIVER_INI" I thought the fix was to create a file in that path, but doesn't seem to be working. Any other thoughts on how to fix this? -- --Peter peter, what version of gp 9 you installed, language and what version of service pack ...

Installation Error: File not Found
I am trying to Detect and Repair a synchronization problem with my Palm Centro and Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 Outlook. I am receiving the following: "A required installation file SKU011.CAB could not be found" I browse to the original Installation Source as required and select the actual file itself, and receive the following error message: " Error 25091. Setup failed to change the source." with options of retry and cancel beneath. I have attempted this numerous times, and to no avail. Can you help??? Courtesy of Mary Sauer MS MVP <...

Re: File Not Found #2
"Leslie Coover" <lcc66604@cox.net> wrote in message news:... > > "Leslie Coover" <lcc66604@cox.net> wrote in message news:... >> When I try to copy just a few worksheets from a large workbook >> to a new workbook I get bunches of File Not Found boxes that pop up >> when I try to open the new workbook. How can I stop this? >> >> Les >> Excel 2000 >> > > ...

File Not Found
I have this statement that gives me the error "File Not Found" Is there a way that I can code this if I get an error nothing happens, no warning or anything I just go to the next line of code. Kill "C:\Proserv\BU\Format(Date, ""yyyymmdd"")-8 & "".MDB" Thnks DS The Format function needs to be outside of the quotes: Dim strFile As String strFile = "C:\Proserv\BU\" & Format(Date, "yyyymmdd") & "-8.MDB" If Len(Dir(strFile)) > 0 Then Kill strFile FileCopy "C:\PROSERV\DB\Restore.mdb...

File not Found #5
I saved a file i opened from the email (Outlook) after i closed the email application. The file was automatically saved as original_name(2).xls in Documents and Settings\User_Name\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\OLK17D. When i tried to open the file next day from the recent files list, i got an error saying file could not be found. I have searched for the file extensively, by date and by name including my shared drives but there is no trace of the file at all. I can see and open other excel files in the same location without a problem. Does anybody knows why did this happen ...

File Not Found Error
Hi, Hopefully someone can help me. I have a client who has encountered a strange error in Outlook 2007. When he decided to remove his msn mail accounts from outlook I believe he deleted the .pst files but not the accounts in Outlook which I think has caused the error, because the accounts are still listed in Outlook and every time Outlook starts it creates a file not found error for each file apart from the one active e-mail account. When trying to remove the accounts from inside outlook it creates the same error, and an attempt to dupe the program with a fake .pst file has no effect. S...

Office 2003 file not found
When I try to install Office 2003 from the CD I get the error message "A required installation file MC561412.CAB cannot be found." When I search the cd the file is there and can be opened. I have even tried minimal installations with the same result. I have copied the cd to my hard disk and ran setup from there. Same result. Note: I earlier installed office from the same cd with no problem. The hard disk on that installation crashed and I got a new hard disk. Any suggestions? Helixal Did you do an uninstall first? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Pu...

idata section in PE file not found
hi! though analyzing an exe file that uses several dlls and imported functions i am not able to find a idata section within the file. is there any other way to determine which dlls are used by the exe file programatically? thanks, philipp Phillip, take a look at my answer re: writing a custom debugger for your original post on 9 July 2004. While this may sound difficult its not too bad, just a bit time consuming. But before you embark on this, check out the privileges needed to debug a process - if I recall correctly, if you start the process your self, then you do not need special p...

Error 13.11 Source File Not Found
My office issued new desktop machines yesterday w/XP upgrade. Trying to re-install Outlook 2002 on my new desktop from my Microsoft synch CD that came with my iPAQ (purchased four months ago). Get the following message: Error 13.11 Source File Not Found: D:/ms/outlook/OFFICE1.CAB Help!! -Steve. Hi Steve, RESOLUTION To resolve this problem, copy the contents of the Office CD to a folder on your hard disk or to a network share, and then run Office Setup from this folder. To do this, follow these steps: On your desktop, double-click My Computer. Double-click the local or network...

file not found #3
When I open an excel file in excel 2000, I get the message file not found. I click cancel about 8 times to finally get in my file. I thought maybe I had a stray cell reference to a file that didn't exist, but I can't find any obscure cell references. When I open the file in excel 2002 at home, I do not get this error message. It is driving me crazy because everytime I open this file at work I have to click cancel so many times. Any chance there's any code in the workbook referencing another file, or buttons assigned macros in another workbook? Nikos >-----Original...