I need to convert name 3 part name into Last, First MiddleNameorMI

I have a column of names, most of which are FirstName LastName in format.
Some, however are First MiddleName (or MI) Last. I need to convert these
values into LastName Firstname MI. I have a formula that gets close, but
doesn't account for the possible presence of a Middle Name or initial.
For ex, data could be Jill Smith, or Jo Ann Smith.  I need to make Smith,
Jill and Smith, Jo Ann.

Seems like I need to go backwards thru the string with a Search function to
find the 2nd space for this to work, but can't. Or should I try it by parsing
consecutive columns with incremental changes together???? Help!

Thank you
0
krexroth (4)

Copy cells to Word.
In Word:
Convert table to text (separate text with paragraph marks)
Go to Edit Replace
Enable Wildcards
Replace ( [A-Za-z]{1,}^13) with  £\1
note: space before £ in previous
Replace (A-Za-z ]{1,})£([A-Za-z]{1,}) with \2, \1
Copy and paste back to Excel

"Krexroth" wrote:

> I have a column of names, most of which are FirstName LastName in format.
> Some, however are First MiddleName (or MI) Last. I need to convert these
> values into LastName Firstname MI. I have a formula that gets close, but
> doesn't account for the possible presence of a Middle Name or initial.
> For ex, data could be Jill Smith, or Jo Ann Smith.  I need to make Smith,
> Jill and Smith, Jo Ann.
>
> Seems like I need to go backwards thru the string with a Search function to
> find the 2nd space for this to work, but can't. Or should I try it by parsing
> consecutive columns with incremental changes together???? Help!
>
> Thank you
0
MartinP (78)
1/7/2005 8:27:05 PM
I got this to work for me by searching for the blanks in between names
within an entry.  If the entry contains two blanks, I assumed the
characters between the blanks were either a middle name or an initial.

If your data is in column A1, for instance "Jo Ann Smith", you
indicated you need the last name in column B, the first name in C, and
the Middle Initial or Middle Name in column D.

In B1, enter this formula: it returns the letters after the last " "
(space) in the entry.
=IF(ISERROR(FIND(" ",A1,FIND(" ",A1,1)+1)),MID(A1,FIND("
",A1,1)+1,LEN(A1)),MID(A1,FIND(" ",A1,FIND(" ",A1,1)+1)+1,LEN(A1)))

In C1, enter this formula to find the first name (the letters before
the first space):
=MID(A1,1,FIND(" ",A1,1)-1)

In D1, enter this formula. It returns the letters between two spaces if
two spaces exist:
=IF(ISERROR(FIND(" ",A1,FIND(" ",A1,1)+1)),"",MID(A1,FIND("
",A1,1)+1,FIND(" ",A1,FIND(" ",A1,1)+1)-FIND(" ",A1,1)-1))

Note that you may still need to review your list for entries with "Sr."
or "Jr", since these formulas will treat those titles as last names.

0
CycleZen (674)
1/7/2005 8:33:34 PM
Thanks Dave.  I had subsequently found this solution (for MI or MName only) at
http://www.exceltip.com/st/Extract_the_first,_middle_and_last_name_in_Microsoft_Excel/370.html
IF(ISERR(MID(A1,FIND(" ",A1)+1,IF(ISERR(FIND(" ",A1,FIND(" ",A1)+1)), FIND("
",A1),FIND(" ",A1,FIND(" ",A1)+1))-FIND(" ",A1)-1)),"",MID(A1,FIND(" ",A1)+
1,IF(ISERR(FIND(" ",A1,FIND(" ",A1)+1)),FIND(" ",A1),FIND(" ",A1,FIND("
",A1)+1))-FIND(" ",A1)-1))

I appreciate your solution as it breaks the syntax down into more easily
understood chunks.  Thanks Again.

"Dave O" wrote:

> I got this to work for me by searching for the blanks in between names
> within an entry.  If the entry contains two blanks, I assumed the
> characters between the blanks were either a middle name or an initial.
>
> If your data is in column A1, for instance "Jo Ann Smith", you
> indicated you need the last name in column B, the first name in C, and
> the Middle Initial or Middle Name in column D.
>
> In B1, enter this formula: it returns the letters after the last " "
> (space) in the entry.
> =IF(ISERROR(FIND(" ",A1,FIND(" ",A1,1)+1)),MID(A1,FIND("
> ",A1,1)+1,LEN(A1)),MID(A1,FIND(" ",A1,FIND(" ",A1,1)+1)+1,LEN(A1)))
>
> In C1, enter this formula to find the first name (the letters before
> the first space):
> =MID(A1,1,FIND(" ",A1,1)-1)
>
> In D1, enter this formula. It returns the letters between two spaces if
> two spaces exist:
> =IF(ISERROR(FIND(" ",A1,FIND(" ",A1,1)+1)),"",MID(A1,FIND("
> ",A1,1)+1,FIND(" ",A1,FIND(" ",A1,1)+1)-FIND(" ",A1,1)-1))
>
> Note that you may still need to review your list for entries with "Sr."
> or "Jr", since these formulas will treat those titles as last names.

0
krexroth (4)
1/7/2005 8:47:10 PM
Have a look at Chip Pearson's First/Last examples.  Also has a downloadable
workbook to go with the examples.

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/FirstLast.htm

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 11:23:05 -0800, "Krexroth"
<Krexroth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have a column of names, most of which are FirstName LastName in format.
>Some, however are First MiddleName (or MI) Last. I need to convert these
>values into LastName Firstname MI. I have a formula that gets close, but
>doesn't account for the possible presence of a Middle Name or initial.
>For ex, data could be Jill Smith, or Jo Ann Smith.  I need to make Smith,
>Jill and Smith, Jo Ann.
>
>Seems like I need to go backwards thru the string with a Search function to
>find the 2nd space for this to work, but can't. Or should I try it by parsing
>consecutive columns with incremental changes together???? Help!
>
>Thank you

0
Gord
1/7/2005 9:32:57 PM
I have, but those solutions seem to address the format LAST, FIrst MI to pase
them into individual pieces.  The comma helps alot in that instance.
Thanks a lot though.

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

> Have a look at Chip Pearson's First/Last examples.  Also has a downloadable
> workbook to go with the examples.
>
> http://www.cpearson.com/excel/FirstLast.htm
>

> Gord Dibben Excel MVP
>
> On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 11:23:05 -0800, "Krexroth"
> <Krexroth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I have a column of names, most of which are FirstName LastName in format.
> >Some, however are First MiddleName (or MI) Last. I need to convert these
> >values into LastName Firstname MI. I have a formula that gets close, but
> >doesn't account for the possible presence of a Middle Name or initial.
> >For ex, data could be Jill Smith, or Jo Ann Smith.  I need to make Smith,
> >Jill and Smith, Jo Ann.
> >
> >Seems like I need to go backwards thru the string with a Search function to
> >find the 2nd space for this to work, but can't. Or should I try it by parsing
> >consecutive columns with incremental changes together???? Help!
> >
> >Thank you

0
krexroth (4)

Not sure if Excel can do what i need

OWA Issue #3
Hello Logging into OWA is fine. But once Im in, the status area on the botttom left of the window says done with an error flag. I open it up and get: Internet Explorer Problems with this web page might prevent it from being displayed properly or functioning properly. Line: 15 Char: 30 Error: Object expected Code: 0 URL: https://my server/exchange/?Cmd=contents Has anyone seen this? What should I look for? How should I repair this? Thanks for any help. Thomas ...

Borders #3
Does anyone know if you can apply a border to your header or footer??? Thanks. Chris Hi AFAIK you can't "Christopher Anderson" wrote: > Does anyone know if you can apply a border to your header or footer??? > > Thanks. > > Chris ...

Excel need help

C# registry read converts string
i'm trying to read a registry key in both local and remote machines. for example the HKLM\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\SERVICES\LANMANWORKSTATION there is a key called "imagepath" this is a "reg_expand_sz" and it will look like: "%systemroot%\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs". when i run my code on either local or remote machine it will convert "%systemroot%" to the local machine system drive, in my cast "e:\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs". so now my output is incorrect. here is a sample of my code: if (t == Syst...

How do I Excel formula =LEFT(A2,LEN(A2)-3) in an Access Query
I need to delete the last 12 characters (phone number) from a field that contains names and phone numbers. Lou Are you asking how to do this in MS Access? If so, take a look in Access HELP re: Mid() function and Len() function. Regards Jeff Boyce Microsoft Access MVP -- Disclaimer: This author may have received products and services mentioned in this post. Mention and/or description of a product or service herein does not constitute endorsement thereof. Any code or pseudocode included in this post is offered "as is", with no guarantee as to suitability. ...

User changes last name
I have a network user with an associated mailbox. The user's name is jsmith and the Exchange alias is jsmith. This user has a new last name now, jjones.The user wants her email address to reflect the new name. She also wants to have any mail that goes to her old address forwarded to the new address. Can I just rename some things or do I have to create another userid and create the new mailbox and import all the email into the new mailbox and forward the old email to the new one. That senario would also cause the user to get a default profile on the desktop which I want to try to av...

crm 3.0 Laptop Client -Cassini web server
Hi, I was wondering if there is anything we can do to overpass cassini server and call pages directly from actual CRM Server, when the crm laptop version is used online. Our system is heavily customized but we still want to use the very basic functionality in the offline mode (like creating contacts, accounts). But when the user goes online he/she should be able to use the rest of the functionality that we have implemented using crm sdk. Thanks in advance, Isil use the web page http://crmserver ? or install again as a lite ver on another machine and copy the MSCRM.pst file on to the ...

excel charts converted into pdf
Hello, I'm experiencing the following issue: I have a handful of charts in Excel that I inserted into Word and then converted the entire word document into PDF format using Acrobat Professional. Resulting PDF has black vertical bars in place of vertical text next to X-axis and title of the Y-axis. Converting charts into PDF directly from Excel does not produce this problem. However I must use Word doc. I have XP SP3,MS Office 2003 and Acrobat Professional 7.0. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks I've had this happen to me, too, on occasion. Not real often, fortunately. When I lo...

Need Help Linking Sheets

Internal e-mail in queue (in CRM 3.0)
Sorry if i am repeating it , i tried but couldnt find the answer. I can get the external e-mail in queue but not internal e-mail in CRM 3.0. Is there any work around?, i did something wrong , or this is the way , it works :0) regards / Aami ...

Macro help needed........

Need to test a mobo

Link to a cell in another workbook by name rather than absolute c.
I need to get data from a total cell in one worksheet into a cell in another worksheet. Because the source worksheet will have lines added to it, I wanted to reference the cell by its row and column label (e.g. "Jan Sales"), rather than by an absolute cell reference. I tried several variations and keep getting the #REF and #NAME errors. Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks. Name the actual cell and then reference the cell's name. -- Cutter ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Cutter's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/membe...

Help needed

Migrating customers from CRM 3.0 to GP 9.0
Since the CRM <-> GP Connector was pulled with no release date in site, what is the procedure for migrating all our existing customers from CRM to Great Plaines? I can't believe we have to re-enter everyone and their contracts. Thanks, John I have been using Scribe software with great success for both Migration and Integration to GP 9.0 from MSCRM 3.0. I know it can be a little pricey but it does not need it's own server like biztalk did. Go to http://www.scribesoft.com for more information. Or you can contact me directly at bmeyer@cargas.com to get more information. -- ...

Need help on this....thanks

I need Help

need help badly

Defined names
Hi there I have defined many names and would like to print out the list of the names with the cells they are referencing Does anyone know if I can do this Thanks very much Tim Insert / Name / Paste / Paste List -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 00/02/03 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission :-) ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- "Tim" <tim.elhatton@mnp.ca&...

Find max value from 3 cells, return text, but 2 max values same!
Hi, I'm using a simple formula to find and return the maximum value from 3 compared columns (N, Q & T) and place that max value in column U (same row). Equation in column U is: =MAX(N3,Q3,T3) SK17 EC3 PL2 Max Text N O P Q R S T U V 3 6 5 1 6 4 6 3 3 6 5 5 5 2 5 6 1 ...

VBA code to run macro in certain file based on name of file in cel
I am trying to come up with code that will run a macro in a workbook where the path and name of the workbook are in a cell reference. I have tried the following with no luck. The path to the file is located in cell F36 of worksheet, "Customize" and the name of the file is located in cell F42. The name of the macro is "ClearTotalSavings". Any help from one of you gurus would sure be appreciated. Application.Run "'" & Workbooks(Sheets("Customize").Range("F36").Value) & "\" & Sheets("Customize").R...