I need help on conditional formatting.

I am trying to generate the following scenario:

1.  If a cell is blank, colour blue
2.  If a cell whose inserted date is less than or equal to the date in
another cell, colour green
3.  If a cell whose inserted date is greater than the date in another cell,
colour orange.
4.  If NA is put in this cell revert back to no formatting at all.

I have got the first three easily by:

1.  =$H14=0
2.  =$H14>$G14
3.  =$H14<=$G14

but what I cannot seem to do is amend the formula to get it to revert back
to white if NA is put in H14.  Is there a way of doing this without using VB?

Hi Christina

conditional formatting is limited to three conditions, so here are two
non-VBA options for you to check out ...
1) Bob Phillips has an add-in available for download from his site

www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.CFPlus.Download.html

2) John McGimpsey has notes on his site on how to do up to 6 without VBA

http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/conditional6.html

If neither of these are useful to you then you'll have to use VBA.

Cheers
JulieD
PS with your first formula both blank and 0 will pass the test ... if you
really just want blue cells when it is blank use
 =$H14=""

"ChristinaC" <ChristinaC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to generate the following scenario:
>
> 1.  If a cell is blank, colour blue
> 2.  If a cell whose inserted date is less than or equal to the date in
> another cell, colour green
> 3.  If a cell whose inserted date is greater than the date in another
> cell,
> colour orange.
> 4.  If NA is put in this cell revert back to no formatting at all.
>
> I have got the first three easily by:
>
> 1.  =$H14=0
> 2.  =$H14>$G14
> 3.  =$H14<=$G14
>
> but what I cannot seem to do is amend the formula to get it to revert back
> to white if NA is put in H14.  Is there a way of doing this without using
> VB?

0
JulieD1 (2295)
2/17/2005 4:33:53 PM
Here's an idea you may want to try since you seem to be familiar with
Conditional Formatting already and you only have need of "4" conditions.

Directly format the cells as what you are now thinking of as your "1st"
condition, i.e., empty cells filled with blue. (BTW- be certain you are clear
on the difference between an "empty" or "blank" cell and one that contains a
zero).

Use the three available Conditional Formatting conditions to handle the
other possibilities. If the cell content gets deleted or changed to something
that doesn't trigger one of those sets of CF, the cell will revert to it's
default (Blue).

Hope this is useful |:>)

"ChristinaC" wrote:

> I am trying to generate the following scenario:
>
> 1.  If a cell is blank, colour blue
> 2.  If a cell whose inserted date is less than or equal to the date in
> another cell, colour green
> 3.  If a cell whose inserted date is greater than the date in another cell,
> colour orange.
> 4.  If NA is put in this cell revert back to no formatting at all.
>
> I have got the first three easily by:
>
> 1.  =$H14=0
> 2.  =$H14>$G14
> 3.  =$H14<=$G14
>
> but what I cannot seem to do is amend the formula to get it to revert back
> to white if NA is put in H14.  Is there a way of doing this without using VB?
0
CyberTaz (411)

Not sure if Excel can do what i need

Do I have to use Conditional Formatting or a Macro?
Hi All, I have a table like this: Value1 Value2 Value3 aq x 3 aa y 5 The cells under 'Value2' already have a ConditionalFormatting (with 3 conditions) to change the background color. I'd like to know if it's possible to apply a format (ie just border) to the entire row, and copy the ConditionalFormatting regarding the 'Value2' column, as soon as I insert a new record in 'Value1'. That is, when cells under 'Value' are not blank, then the row will have a border, and cell under 'Value2' has ConditionalFormatting...

Excel need help

Need Help Linking Sheets

Macro help needed........

Date Format Conversion?
I have a tab delimited text file with a column of dates. I copied and pasted a selection of them below as a reference, there are in reality over 35,000 rows of these dates. These text dates must be converted to the following date format and saved back into a text file as such: mm/dd/yyyy That includes leading zeroes in months and dates. E.g. 01/01/1999 To complicate matters, I need to explain the process to others. Does anyone even know where I should begin? THANK YOU, - Chris +++++++++++++++++++++++++++ 9031989 8131990 9201989 1271990 10291989 1081990 3041990 10051989 4191990 10...

Lost formatting in Query
I have a query based off of a table, with a subdatasheet pulling from a separate table. I've been using this system for approximately 3 years with no problems. However, within the last few months, I've had a problem with the formatting being lost each morning. I'm constantly having to re-insert the subdatasheet and re-size all my columns that have gone back to the default width. I've never had this problem until recently. My solution so far has included a compact and repair, and to re-design the entire query from scratch. Neither have solved the problem. As another...

Opening blank sheet with set format
Hi, apologies for asking what's probably a common question... How can I change the blank Excel sheet default (the one you get if you click on the toolbar icon) so that it comes up with the font being Arial Narrow size 8 in every cell? Thanks in advance Daniel Create a new workbook. change the font setting to what you want. Save it as Book.xlt in your XLStart folder (as a template) Daniel Bonallack wrote: > > Hi, apologies for asking what's probably a common question... > > How can I change the blank Excel sheet default (the one you get if you click > on the toolb...

Need to test a mobo

Help needed

Help with formula 12-17-09

Need help on this....thanks

Help with Error
I got this error recently, and just want to make sure I'm reading it right. Logon Failure on database "First Storage Group\Mailbox Store (EXCHANGE)" - Windows 2000 account PARADIGM\user1; mailbox /o=Paradigm/ou=First Administrative Group/cn=Recipients/cn=user2. Error: -2147221231 Does this mean the user1 tried to access the user2 mailbox and failed? Thanks in advance hello albert, well, this looks familiar to: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;260782 and http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;309113 regards, Alex "AlbertP&quo...

Cannot permanently remove formatting toolbar
In Outlook 2003 mail send I have the formatting toolbar visible. This then hides other icons e.g. attach. I can use tools/customise to remove the formatting bar but this does not stick and on opening a new send mail the formatting bar has returned. How do I permanently remove it? Beemer Beemer <Beemer@nowhere.com> wrote: > In Outlook 2003 mail send I have the formatting toolbar visible. > This then hides other icons e.g. attach. I can use tools/customise > to remove the formatting bar but this does not stick and on opening a > new send mail the formatting bar ha...

I need Help

need help badly

help with a table
now that I set up a table through importing the data. I realized that I had some other data being emailed to me. how do i import it in that same table? On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 11:39:05 -0700, Maggie <schmidt.margaret@gmail.com> wrote: >now that I set up a table through importing the data. I realized that >I had some other data being emailed to me. how do i import it in that >same table? Use File... Get External Data... Link to link to a textfile containing the information from the EMail, and run an Append query to append it into your stored table. John W. Vinso...

Help, MVP!
Milly, Sue, Vince.. Can you help 'fix' this- I have still not found the cure, thank you! Outlook 2000 (Internet Only) is set to check for mail ever five minutes. However, when it does so, Outlook now insists on displaying the dialog box stating that the "Requested tasks were completed successfully." The dialog box has a "Hide this message" box which is checked, and the push pin is not 'set'. I must have messed up a setting when I reset my toolbars... (issue resolved - I accidentally pinned the toolbar to the desktop, went nuts till I figure out a doub...

Need Help Despertly!

Plug in needed

conditional formatting challenge
Here is my challenge: I have already used all 3 conditions. I need one condition to execute when a value = approved OR n/a. my problem is that i can do one or the other, but no both in the same condition- how do you do that? thanks! Hi Brendan, > my problem is that i can do one or the other, but no both in the same > condition- how do you do that? Formula is: =OR($A$1="approvedd",$A$1="n/a") --- Regards, Norman "brendan" <brendan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:907603A5-61FD-4981-ACCA-51FA8F5135FA@microsoft.com... &g...