I need help assigning a value to a character

I need to format a cell so that if I enter an upper case "Y" it display
the "Y" but the cell thinks the value of the "Y" is "1" so that it ca
be added in another function elsewhere.  I have tried to use the "IF
functions but have had no success as of yet. HELP

--
billybo
billybob's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2661

in cell a11 type in
      =SUM(IF(A1:A10="Y",1,0))    as one line;
      DO NOT PRESS ENTER
      but instead press simultaneously the CONTROL KEY + SHIFTKEY+ENTER
 This will create a Control array formula (CSE).
HTH

"billybob" <billybob.1uamma_1124928307.6675@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in
message news:billybob.1uamma_1124928307.6675@excelforum-nospam.com...

> I need to format a cell so that if I enter an upper case "Y" it displays
> the "Y" but the cell thinks the value of the "Y" is "1" so that it can
> be added in another function elsewhere.  I have tried to use the "IF"
> functions but have had no success as of yet. HELP!
>

> --
> billybob
> billybob's Profile:
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=26610
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=398817

0
jmay (695)
8/25/2005 1:17:23 AM
BillyBob,

If the cell contains a Y, it contains a Y.  You'd use an IF in a formula
elsewhere that want's to know, like:

=IF(A1 = "Y", 1, 0)

That one isn't case-sensitive.  For upper-case Y only, use:

=IF( CODE(A1) = 89, 1, 0)
--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com

"billybob" <billybob.1uamma_1124928307.6675@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in
message news:billybob.1uamma_1124928307.6675@excelforum-nospam.com...

> I need to format a cell so that if I enter an upper case "Y" it displays
> the "Y" but the cell thinks the value of the "Y" is "1" so that it can
> be added in another function elsewhere.  I have tried to use the "IF"
> functions but have had no success as of yet. HELP!
>

> --
> billybob
> billybob's Profile:
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=26610
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=398817

0
someone798 (944)
8/25/2005 1:18:59 AM
I don't think you'll succeed with formatting alone.

But you could use a helper cell:
=if(a1="y",1,0)

You could put this in column B and hide that column, but use B1 for the
subsequent formulas.

billybob wrote:

> I need to format a cell so that if I enter an upper case "Y" it displays
> the "Y" but the cell thinks the value of the "Y" is "1" so that it can
> be added in another function elsewhere.  I have tried to use the "IF"
> functions but have had no success as of yet. HELP!
>
> --
> billybob
> billybob's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=26610
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=398817

--

Dave Peterson
0

> =IF( CODE(A1) = 89, 1, 0)

Maybe:

=IF(CODE(A1) = code("Y"), 1, 0)
or to avoid an error if A1 is empty:
=IF(CODE(A1&" ") = code("Y"), 1, 0)

Just a little easier to read (for me anyway).

And one more way:

=if(EXACT(A1,"Y")=True,1,0)
or
=--EXACT(A1,"Y")

Earl Kiosterud wrote:

> BillyBob,
>
> If the cell contains a Y, it contains a Y.  You'd use an IF in a formula
> elsewhere that want's to know, like:
>
> =IF(A1 = "Y", 1, 0)
>
> That one isn't case-sensitive.  For upper-case Y only, use:
>
> =IF( CODE(A1) = 89, 1, 0)
> --
> Earl Kiosterud
> www.smokeylake.com
>
> "billybob" <billybob.1uamma_1124928307.6675@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in
> message news:billybob.1uamma_1124928307.6675@excelforum-nospam.com...
> >
> > I need to format a cell so that if I enter an upper case "Y" it displays
> > the "Y" but the cell thinks the value of the "Y" is "1" so that it can
> > be added in another function elsewhere.  I have tried to use the "IF"
> > functions but have had no success as of yet. HELP!
> >

> > --
> > billybob
> > billybob's Profile:
> > http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=26610
> > View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=398817

--

Dave Peterson
0
petersod (12004)
8/25/2005 1:28:42 AM
Dave,

Oops.  You're absolutely right.  I didn't test it with an empty cell.

We can shorten =IF(EXACT(A1,"Y")=TRUE,1,0)
to =IF(EXACT(A1,"Y"),1,0)

=--EXACT(A1,"Y") is very cool, but a bit more cryptic for some.

The real heck of it is that the OP may realize that demanding an upper-case
Y may cause problems when users use lower-case, and he'll change the
requirement.  After all our work, we'll wind up with good old

=IF(A1 = "Y", 1, 0)

:)

--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com

> Just this portion:
>
>> =IF( CODE(A1) = 89, 1, 0)
>
> Maybe:
>
> =IF(CODE(A1) = code("Y"), 1, 0)
> or to avoid an error if A1 is empty:
> =IF(CODE(A1&" ") = code("Y"), 1, 0)
>
> Just a little easier to read (for me anyway).
>
> And one more way:
>
> =if(EXACT(A1,"Y")=True,1,0)
> or
> =--EXACT(A1,"Y")
>

> Earl Kiosterud wrote:
>>
>> BillyBob,
>>
>> If the cell contains a Y, it contains a Y.  You'd use an IF in a formula
>> elsewhere that want's to know, like:
>>
>> =IF(A1 = "Y", 1, 0)
>>
>> That one isn't case-sensitive.  For upper-case Y only, use:
>>
>> =IF( CODE(A1) = 89, 1, 0)
>> --
>> Earl Kiosterud
>> www.smokeylake.com
>>
>> "billybob" <billybob.1uamma_1124928307.6675@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote
>> in
>> message news:billybob.1uamma_1124928307.6675@excelforum-nospam.com...
>> >
>> > I need to format a cell so that if I enter an upper case "Y" it
>> > displays
>> > the "Y" but the cell thinks the value of the "Y" is "1" so that it can
>> > be added in another function elsewhere.  I have tried to use the "IF"
>> > functions but have had no success as of yet. HELP!
>> >

>> > --
>> > billybob
>> > billybob's Profile:
>> > http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=26610
>> > View this thread:
>> > http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=398817
>> >

> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
someone798 (944)

Not sure if Excel can do what i need

Graph
Hi, Here is the problem - There is a graph I have to create, based on the following information: I have projects names, and each project has the following data: 1. Estimated cost. 2. Actual cost. 3.Status, which can be one of 3: a. over with b. in progress c. per demand I need to put the data on a 3D column graph, in a way that each project will have 2 columns that compare estimated and actual cost, but the problem is I also need to put some kind of an attribute on every project which reflects its status. How do I do that? Thanks in advance, Chen. Chen - I'd suggest a 2D chart type in...

Text Values #2
I'm tryng to build a spreadsheet to track employee vacations. How do I sum 8 hours if a cell has a "V" entered and 4 hours if a cell has an "X" entered? Assuming you're using column A, and each row is either the number of hours worked, or a V or a X, then use a helper column, B, and insert this in B1 and copy down.......change the A1's to A2's if you have a header in Row 1, and put this in B2. =IF(A1="V",8,IF(A1="X",4,A1)) Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "Brando" <carpenterchsd@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:1113...

Match value in one column and return value in same row in next col
Hi, I have a a set of values in A1 through A100. I need to look up each value and find a match in another set of values located in C1 through C200. If a match is found then I need the formula located in column B to return the value in the same row but the next column over (D). Example: A B C D 359 375 10012 456 125 10031 125 10031 952 10052 854 444 10017 The formula located in B3 should find that the value of 125 (located in A3) matches the value in C2 and returns 10031 which is the v...

Excel need help

assign task from public folder
I am willing to have a task public folder to centralize all the task of my users. I find it impossible to assign a taks to someone from a public folder ? How can I manage to do this? Thanks Cyril ...

New Address type picklist value not appearing in picklist on forms
Hi, I've customized my Customer Address form to add a new AddressType value of "Registered Office"; value is 6 and I can see it when I go into the form customization editor. However, when I try to add a new address to, say, a Contact, this new address type value isn't shown. Ditto if I attempt to edit an existing address. What am I doing wrong? Thanks. -- Michael Mayne Did you publish the forms and then issue an IISRESET? Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM ---------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------- On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 10:21:04 -0800, ...

Need Help Linking Sheets

Macro help needed........

Need to test a mobo

Help needed

Help with formula 12-17-09

Need help on this....thanks

Help with Error
I got this error recently, and just want to make sure I'm reading it right. Logon Failure on database "First Storage Group\Mailbox Store (EXCHANGE)" - Windows 2000 account PARADIGM\user1; mailbox /o=Paradigm/ou=First Administrative Group/cn=Recipients/cn=user2. Error: -2147221231 Does this mean the user1 tried to access the user2 mailbox and failed? Thanks in advance hello albert, well, this looks familiar to: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;260782 and http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;309113 regards, Alex "AlbertP&quo...

I need Help

need help badly

help with a table
now that I set up a table through importing the data. I realized that I had some other data being emailed to me. how do i import it in that same table? On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 11:39:05 -0700, Maggie <schmidt.margaret@gmail.com> wrote: >now that I set up a table through importing the data. I realized that >I had some other data being emailed to me. how do i import it in that >same table? Use File... Get External Data... Link to link to a textfile containing the information from the EMail, and run an Append query to append it into your stored table. John W. Vinso...

Help, MVP!
Milly, Sue, Vince.. Can you help 'fix' this- I have still not found the cure, thank you! Outlook 2000 (Internet Only) is set to check for mail ever five minutes. However, when it does so, Outlook now insists on displaying the dialog box stating that the "Requested tasks were completed successfully." The dialog box has a "Hide this message" box which is checked, and the push pin is not 'set'. I must have messed up a setting when I reset my toolbars... (issue resolved - I accidentally pinned the toolbar to the desktop, went nuts till I figure out a doub...

Need Help Despertly!

Plug in needed

Find & replace a value in an unknown cell location
Is there a function I can use to find a text string in a particular column - say in column (H) for string 'Mytotal' to be replaced by 'Subtotal' when the cell location of 'Mytotal' is unknown only the column is known? And also is there a function that can find a certain value in a column then delete the row below the found value? e.g in column (H) find 'Subtotal' then delete the row below the occurance of 'Subtotal'. Help is much appreciated with this one? You can use MATCH to find where "Mytotal" is located, assuming you know either th...