I can't edit anything in my Excel spreadsheet!

I think I enabled safe mode permanently or something, many of the options are
greyed out, including save and such.

I cannot add or edit any existing data to the cells! Please help im racking
my brain!
0
Atrocity (3)

Maybe sheet/book protection is accidentally activated?

Click Tools > Protection

Do you see:
Unprotect Sheet ..
Unprotect Workbook ..

If so, try clicking the above to toggle it off
(works only if there's no password set)
--
Rgds
Max
"Atrocity" <Atrocity@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I think I enabled safe mode permanently or something, many of the options
are
> greyed out, including save and such.
>
> I cannot add or edit any existing data to the cells! Please help im
racking
> my brain!

0
demechanik (4694)
6/4/2005 12:00:08 PM
I can get to Tools> Protection but anything on the right of Protection is
Greyed out.

If this helps, I did a start/run excel /a  and i have the same problem. cant
edit anything.

"Max" wrote:

> Maybe sheet/book protection is accidentally activated?
>
> Click Tools > Protection
>
> Do you see:
> Unprotect Sheet ..
> Unprotect Workbook ..
>
> If so, try clicking the above to toggle it off
> (works only if there's no password set)
> --
> Rgds
> Max
> xl 97
> ---
> GMT+8,  1° 22' N  103° 45' E
> xdemechanik <at>yahoo<dot>com
> ----
> "Atrocity" <Atrocity@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I think I enabled safe mode permanently or something, many of the options
> are
> > greyed out, including save and such.
> >
> > I cannot add or edit any existing data to the cells! Please help im
> racking
> > my brain!

0
Atrocity (3)
6/4/2005 12:21:02 PM
Not sure, but try this post: http://tinyurl.com/cvppr
--
Rgds
Max
> I can get to Tools> Protection but anything on the right of Protection is
> Greyed out.
>
> If this helps, I did a start/run excel /a  and i have the same problem.
cant
> edit anything.

0
demechanik (4694)
6/4/2005 12:59:23 PM
I tried that before... I didnt find any *.xml and i have all the correct
hidden files shown in my folder options.

"Max" wrote:

> Not sure, but try this post: http://tinyurl.com/cvppr
> --
> Rgds
> Max
> xl 97
> ---
> GMT+8,  1° 22' N  103° 45' E
> xdemechanik <at>yahoo<dot>com
> ----
> "Atrocity" <Atrocity@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I can get to Tools> Protection but anything on the right of Protection is
> > Greyed out.
> >
> > If this helps, I did a start/run excel /a  and i have the same problem.
> cant
> > edit anything.

0
Atrocity (3)
6/4/2005 1:09:11 PM
Try this post by Dave Peterson: http://tinyurl.com/b7q57

where he mentions 2 links, viz:
--
Chip Pearson has some notes on how to diagnose startup errors at:

And Jan Karel Pieterse has more notes at:
http://www.jkp-ads.com/Article�s/StartupProblems.htm
--
I'm out here, but hang around for insights from others ..
--
> I tried that before... I didnt find any *.xml and i have all the correct
> hidden files shown in my folder options.

0
demechanik (4694)

How to open embedded documents in excel cells?

editting auto recovery

BOM & Edit List

Training in Excel
Has anyone received their training from a Global Knowledge, Inc. Excel training course. If not, do you have an e-mail address for a contact at Global Knowledge that has been responsive to you. I have a question about a Global Knowledge, Inc. Excel exercise and will require the files supplied with the course for the answer. A cell is not responding as it should and I want to know if it is due to a default or an error in formatting the cell or precedent. Any help anyone could provide would be of value to me. Product version is 2003. Thanks in advance. -- Effie I don't know any...

Excel Mental Models and the Eli Whitney Syndrome
I am the kind of person who really benefits from knowing why and ho something works. This was once called the Eli Whitney syndrome by Pa Bedard of Car and Driver. If I remember correctly, he was talkin about the old points and condenser being easier to understand tha electronics. I agree - seeing the gears turn really helps m understand how something operates. I think that's why electronics an software can be so exasperating - anything can and does happen behin the scenes! A good Excel example is one that I found in these Excel forums - tha the auto filter actually just makes the row ...

Editing
Hi! Could you please tell me how to remove a linked transaction within the budget planner. For example, I have a double entry under the debt category. ...

Macro to edit details
Hi, i am currently trying to create a macro regarding editing staf details on a worksheet....... therefore i recorded a macro and named it editstafflist, i highlighte my headings...and then went to 'data > form' and then had to close th form and then stop my macro. It wouldnt allow me to stop my macr whilst the dialogue box was open. Anyways after stopping the macro drew out a button and assigned this 'editstafflist' macro to it. saved my sheet and then clicked on the button, but a error '1004' kep occuring, can anyone please help me on this as i am rather stuck ...

Chart OUTLOOK item reports via Excel or ?
I want to create reports for OUTLOOK items (particularly tasks). I'd like to be able to see charts that display things like the amount of time spent on tasks for various clients, the type of work done, and the dates (including time of day). I'd like to be able to look at these reports daily if possible. Is there a way that I can do this? I thought that there must be a way by exporting the items into excel and then manually setting up charts but this would be time consuming to do each time. Any help is appreciated (I've spent days trying to figure this out) ...

editing a drop down #2
that's not one of my choices. -- kateweb ------------------------------------------------------------------------ kateweb's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=16301 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=276931 what do you mean by this .. is it greyed out on the toolbar or shows "any value"? if you'ld like to tell me where you downloaded it from i can go have a look at it cheers JulieD "kateweb" <kateweb.1fictb@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:kateweb.1fictb@excelfor...

Excel should manage its child windows like the rest of Office.
All of the Microsoft Office applications behave the same, except for Excel. All of the other applications open new instances of the application when additional files are open, but Excel opens them within the same Excel window. This proves problematic for multi-monitor environments. For example, if I have two Word documents open, I can view one Word document on one monitor and the other on the other monitor. However, because Excel places all open files in the same application, I can only view spreadsheets on one monitor. This is very frustrating. Every application I work with (Microsoft ...

Setting caret in edit control & activating it.
Hello Does anyone have any example code for setting and enabling the caret in an edit control ? Nicholas Take a look at the CEdit::SetSel() member function. -- Cheers Check Abdoul [VC++ MVP] ----------------------------------- "Nicholas Kingsley" <nickk@nildram.co.uk> wrote in message news:3f9d418a$0$106$65c69314@mercury.nildram.net... > Hello > > Does anyone have any example code for setting and enabling the caret in an > edit control ? > > Nicholas > > If you are asking how to create & use your own caret in an edit control then check...

Storing BLOBs in excel files
Hello group, (must have been asked before, but I don't seem to find the right google terms) Is there a way to store Large Binary Objects in cells? I have a list of items that I want to associate with documents, such as picture, some piece of text or HTML. I can not be sure it is text, so I need a way to store it as binary objects, along with the list of items. I don't need to be able to manipulate the BLOBs, just store them and retrieve them. Any help?? Thanks Willem -- Willem van Deursen, The Netherlands wvandeursen_nospam@nospam_carthago.nl replace ...

Excel File saved as Temp file
I have "upgraded" to Windows 7 from Vista. I am having numerous problems with Excel (Office 2000) . One of those is that when I try to do a file save, I get the message that It wouldn't save and that a temp file has been created that I must rename and then try again. When it does this, it won't allow me to save the file in any other location. The Excel file completely disappears. I can save new files in the same location as the file in question. In another forum I followed links to a suggested fix, I tried those steps and they did not give me anythi...

Data collection Form Edit
We have a form which will be used almost daily, for data collection, based on a query. During the test we found a typo in one of the field labels where a brief description is included. Is there some way to edit the form? (recreating it with all the custom lables is just too long a task). Another issue on this topic, every time the form is sent, the messge reverts to the default "Please fill out the form and retunr it to me". Can this default message be changed? Nothing in the help functions. Any advice, or deirection to a learning resource will be appreciated. Thanks is adva...

Why are my Excel files being saved to temp files?
When excel saves the file, it saves it as a temporary file with a funny name (8 characters--no extension). If the save is successful, xl will delete the original (or rename it to its backup name (like "backup of book1.xlk)) and if that's successful, xl will rename the funny named file to the original's name. Common things that get blamed for interruptions to this process are antivirus software poking its head in or network errors--either permissions or physical problems. mikerta wrote: -- Dave Peterson ec35720@netscape.com ...

Having Insert button functionality while editing
Hi, I want to have the functionality of Insert button (on keyboard) in my while application while editing in a cell or a edit box. For eg if i am editing my text say "alpha" and my cursor is between "l" and "p" and I insert an alphabet say "z", i want the "p" should be replaced by "Z" and the text should become "alzha". Please suggest. Thanks in advance. Regards, Arjun CEdit does not support that by default. Here is a good example of how implement this (Although I think UpdateCaret should just be a method of CXEdi...

Strange Message Box in Excel
Hiyall: I'm running Excel 2002 on XP Pro. I'm dealing with a workbook wherein one of the worksheets will have about 3000 rows and around 50 columns. I'm trying to apply validation (list of three possibilities from a list) and conditional formatting (background color change depending on which of the three possibilities is chosen) to 20 of the 50 columns. After I get about halfway through the formatting, when I go to save the workbook, I get the following message box: -------------------------------------------------- Excel could not save all the data and formatting you ...

Excel 2007; problems with Excel macros
Hello I'm working with Excel 2007, german version. I'd like to open my Excel files which I have written with older Excel versions but all Excel files with macros generates the following error: "Diese Arbeitsmappe hat ihr VBA Projekt, alle ActiveX-Steuerelemente und alle anderen programmierbaren Elemente verloren" or in english: "This workbook lost the VBA project, all ActiveX-controls and all other programmable objects." Does anybody have an idea how to solve this issue? Tom I think you did not install VBA. It is not selected by default when you ins...

Macros in excel
Can you use the contents of a cell with a "Pick List" as the destination sheet address in a macro? I am new to macros and have a 15 page spreadsheet that I am writing a data entry form for. -- John C John, Sure, just use the value of that cell to target the worksheet, along the lines of this, (assuming the cell is named "PickList" - it could be a cell address, as well). Worksheets(Range("PickList").Value).Range("A1").Value = "I'm on the sheet that was picked" HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "Johnc" <john(removethis)@cunning...

Excel DDE Issue
I am trying to track the maximum value reached by a particular cell which has is utilising a DDE link to update that cell with streamin data. Basically, what I am trying to achieve is this If A1>A2 then replace the value in cell A2 with the value in A1. If A1<A2 then A2 is not replaced. I have tried to us the If function, but keep getting circular referenc errors. Any ideas -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

can't use print area function Excel 2002
Hi, I have a table document that has [group] beside the name. I did not put that there when I saved it. It will not let me set or clear the print area, which is greyed out. And in page break view, I set the document to 5 pages and I do the same in "page setup," and it consistently shows that there are 72 pages in the document. "Troubleshooting printing" has nothing about this problem. Help! thanks, Bonnie Right click on one of the tabs for the file and select Ungroup "Bonnie" <bshepard@hsph.harvard.edu> wrote in message news:027301c381ea$b...