hyperlinks in a spreadsheet keep breaking - any thoughts ?

I have a list with about 380 records which I use with filters on at the top
of the column. One column refers to filenames which I have tried to replace
with hyperlinks - I set the links up then after eg filtering, and moving
around the sheet, and perhaps closing & reopening the book, the links fail to
work again, the error message is "address not valid".
How can I ensure the links keep working ? I am working on a network.

I think I'd try creating the hyperlinks using the worksheet function:
=hyperlink().

Say your filename is in A2, then put this in B2:
=hyperlink("file:////"&a2,"Click Me")

and see if it works.

A2 should contain the full path:
c:\my documents\excel\myfile.xls
or
\\sharename\folder\myfile.xls

--

Dave Peterson
0

hyperlink #4
Hello, I have. a spreadsheet with 300+ records. One column has website addresses. How can I format those cells so that when I click on the web address, it will go to the websites? I know Excel explains it but I'm not understanding it. if someone could help me with this, I would really appreciate it. Thanks, Mindy Mindy Select the cells, hit F2 and ENTER as many times as needed to roll through the range and change to hyperlinks. Whole column at a time use this macro from David McRitchie. Sub MakeHyperlinks() Dim cell As Range For Each cell In Intersect(Selection, _ ...

Hyperlinks
I have a spreadsheet that is 3604 rows & 6 columns. Column E has only hyperlinks to URL's. I have filtered my data via column B. I tried to A-Z Column A. When I do, the hyperlinks do not stay with the data. The mask looks correct but when you scroll over the hyperlink you see a completely different URL.????? Can anyone tell me how to make sure the Hyperlink keeps the correct URL when filtering and sorting the data. Try using the =HYPERLINK() worksheet function Tim "LeisaA" <LeisaA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3362C55C-FBA2-43...

Excel 2000 Hyperlinks
Probably a silly question, but how do you turn off hyperlinks? I know how to remove them, but I want the entire feature turned off so that when I type an email address it doesn't turn it into an active hyperlink. In XP, you can go to Tools, Autocorrect options, but I can't seem to find the option in 2000. >>but I can't seem to find the option in 2000. Me either. You could precede the entry with an apostrophe. -- Jim Rech Excel MVP .... or hit CTRL-Z right after it converts. Rgds, Andy ...

Print Preview different from Page Break View
Hi all, i have a excel form which i can see all the contents when it's in the normal page break view but when i preview the form, the right part of the form cannot be seen. The printout is the same as the print preview. Why is there a discrepanices between the page break view and the print preview? I ve checked, both the page setup for the excel file and printer setttings are the same. Is this a bug in Excel 2000? How can i make the print preview the same as normal page break view? Thanks in advance. ...

Hyperlinks and e-mail
I want to be able to send an e-mail as a result of a vlookup. so if I have the name in Col A,the email address in Col B,the case number in Col C and the Vlookup formula on a different page I want to be able to lookup the name and also get the email hyperlink, with the case number included in the subject field. Then I need to automate that process with a Macro.......... Ade Hi not quite sure this is what you want but for mailing macros have a look at Ron's site: http://www.rondebruin.nl/sendmail.htm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Ade wrote: > I want to be able to send a...

Can you hyperlink to a hyperlink?
I'm am having trouble linking/referencing a cell that contains another hyperlink. There is a master list on one tab, that has hyperlinks to all documents listed. Our other tabs (within the same spreadsheet) contain the same information that is stored in the master list tab, but specific to a group. (i.e. a training tab, lists only the training documents) The idea is to maintain only the hyperlink on the master list page, but allow others to click of the hyperlink to a document on their specific group tab, and it would open the document. Originally, I just used the &q...

Hyperlinks not hyperlinked in long messages
I am receiving a regular mail which contains many hyperlinks. It seems that, when the message exceeds a certain size, only the first hyperlinks work (colored blue and underlined), but they stop working somewhere in the last third of the message. I see this happening with messages with sizes of 129, 185, 210 KB. But on another message with 43KB all the hyperlinks work. (I can send the mentioned messages to someone willing to suggest a solution) I don't know if the problem has to do with the size of the message or the number of hyperlinks within. But if I break one of these messages i...

Hyperlinking images
I have a worksheet with several columns. One of the columns is entitled image which I've hyperlinked to image files. I thought that if I were to email this worksheet to someone else that my images would go along with it. Not happening. How do I set it up, so that the images are embedded on each row as a file name and if I email it to someone, all of the images are transferred also. I know it's a simple solution, but I'm not finding it. Thanks. You must either send all the image files along with the workbook or insert the images into the workbook. Sending ...

Hyperlink?
I have been trying to put a hyperlink to a bank in an Excel cell. After difficulty I tried very carefully to follow instructions. When I click on the link, I get a message that starts with "Unable to open <address>" and ends with "Cannot download the information you requested." I do not know if the following is a clue. The address in the cell starts with http://. If I manually copy the address and paste it into the browser it works. But the address that finally appears starts with https://. The rest of the address is modified as well. I am using a relatively...

create a hyperlink field for a tamplate?
I have a template with various fields, when I make use of it, all fields are displayed correctly. One of this fields is a text string that holds pathname and file name of a document related to the record. I would like to have this string come in as a hyperlink, and not have to go and manually change each cell in the column with the Insert - Hyperlink commands. Does anyone knows how to do this? NEW If using Excel 2002 or 2003 you can set this up under Tools>Autocorrect Options>Autoformat as you type. For existing strings a formula in an adjacent cell....... =HYPERLINK(cellref) ...

Copy to filtered blank rows from another spreadsheet
Hi, I have a spreadsheet that it's filtered to show blanks items in column J, I want to copy into this column J data from another spreadsheet's Column J. is there an easy way to do? Basically, need to copy from spreadsheet 2 column J into the filtered blank rows in Spreadsheet 1 column J . Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you ...

Insert hyperlink off and on ?
Why does the insert hyperlink drop down appear grayed out sometimes but at other times it works just fine. This is when I am doing a regular e-mail and want to highlight a term and insert a hyperlink. Outlook 2000. Just seems to have a mind of its own. ...

Hyperlink
I have successfully hyperlinked from a cell in Excel to a Visio file. Does anyone know how to link to a specific shape within the Visio file? The hyperlink can include page, shape, and zoom percent. Ex: http: //MyServer/MyDrawing.vsd#Page-2/Sheet.1?zoom=100 Visio will display the page, center the shape, and zoom to the given percent (but will not select the shape). Hope this helps, -- Bill K. Microsoft Corporation This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "JD" <jd@tivo.com> wrote in message news:068301c350a0$badcfc60$a101280...

Macro to Keep Linked Workbooks Updated
Using Excel 2000/XP. We have store locations that dial in using VPN to place their orders on a file on the server. This files links to history files so they have a running history of their previous orders. If someone inside the home office network accesses the file, the links have to be updated because the path they access the file is different from the VPN connection. The same applies if I were to access the files from the server itself. Is there a Macro that will tell the workbook where the linked files are located regardless of how and from where the file is opened? Thanks in advance!...

hyperlink problem
i have three columns that make up my pdf file names i.e. example: columnA=2010, columnB=03, columnC=33 (my file name is 20100333.pdf). i want to have a column that opens corresponding pdf files. moreover i would like the function to look up for the files in the same drive that my excel files relies on. i have all these in usb and i change many computers so each computer may give a different drive letter name to my usb. can i achieve something like that? p.s. i want to open the pdf file directly, not through the internet explorer. ...

undating new value while keeping the old
I have a worksheet that keeps undating everyday. I want to track the latest row's value and still keep the old one. Example A1 will always point to newly updated cell (B1, B2, B3 ... ) Day1, update on B1 <--A1 shows value of B1 Day2, update on B2 <--A1 shows value of B2 Day3, update on B3 <--A1 shows value of B3 One way, Put in the formula bar for A1, then array-enter the formula by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER (instead of just pressing ENTER): =INDEX(B:B,MAX(IF(ISBLANK(B1:B65535),0,ROW(B1:B65535)))) The above was taken from Bob Phillip's fine page at: http://www.xldynami...

scanning pictures into an excel spreadsheet
Is it possible to scan a table of numbers into an excel spreadsheet and be able to add and subtract them? Thank you ...

Delete all Hyperlinks and Actions
Hi, Is there anyway to see and delete all Hyperlinks and Actions in one go? Thanks Only with vba code AFAIK -- john ATSIGN PPTAlchemy.co.uk Free PPT Hints, Tips and Tutorials http://www.pptalchemy.co.uk/powerpoint_hints_and_tips_tutorials.html "Cazzy123" wrote: > Hi, > > Is there anyway to see and delete all Hyperlinks and Actions in one go? > > Thanks ...

Associate Macros to a Hyperlink
I would like to associate a simple macro to a hyperlink so when click on the hyperlink, excel would go to a certain sheet and change its zoom. Can anyone help me on how to do it? Thank you MJO Hi you can use the worksheet_followhyperlink event to achieve this. E.g. put the following code in your worksheet module Private Sub Worksheet_FollowHyperlink(ByVal Target As Hyperlink) If Target.Range.Address = "$A$1" Then 'insert your code here End If End Sub The above will process your code if the hyperlink in cell A1 is invoked. HTH Frank Maria João Oliveira wrote: > I...

How do I change Letter case (lower to Upper) in a spreadsheet???
Please Help.... I cannot figure out how to change the text from lower to upper case. I have tried working with the formula suggested by MS but I cannot get it to work. I am sure I am missing something simple, any help is appreciated. Thanks. the formula would refer to another cell not the one you are in =upper(a1) to change the cell you are in you need a macro. Maybe this will help. Sub ChangeCase() 'Don Guillett Application.ScreenUpdating = False Dim r As Range nCase = UCase(InputBox("Enter U for UPPER" & Chr$(13) & " L for lower" & Chr$(13) &...

Simple ( I thought) X Y Axis point plotting
Help . I have been trying and failing to sucessfully plot x , y co ordinates from worksheet data containing 3 columns One being the name of the location the next being the x co ords and the final one bieng the y co ord. I can not get these simple points to be plotted. I am using x,y scatter but tried bubble too Why is this apparently simple task getting the better of me. Ps the number of records may eventualy exceed 255 points and that seems to pop up as an issue too -- Wobbles ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Wobbles's Profile: http://www.theco...

Blocked hyperlinks
After Ctrl-Click on hyperlinks in Office programs i get a message that the computer is blocked for this operation and that i should contact the admin (thats me). I am using Windows 7, Office 07, IE8 and Live Mail 09 (all with available updates). (I reinstalled Chrome but that didn't help. Saw a suggestion about that.) Got one suggestion to reinstall Office but have not tried that. Any easier suggestions? -- Peter L I had the same problem a few days ago. Try this procedure founded on the web: "Restore registry settings in the User Profile 1. Click Start, click Run...

A click or control click on a hyperlink in an e-mail goes nowhere
Why can't I folow a hyperlink with a click or a control-click? version of outlook? Which folder is the message in? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Outlook Tips by email: dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter: EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH...

Keeping M2004
I have M2004 and love it. I purchased online a copy of M2006 (haven't received it yet). I then downloaded the trial version of M2006. Well, can't say that I'm impressed. M2006 is sooooooo slow. I also thought that I would have more connectivity with some of my storebrand credit cards, but I now realize that I have to use Moneycentral for that to work. Well, I don't want my information stored online in one place like that. So, I reverted successfully back to M2004 and uninstalled the trial M2006. My question is this - sometime in 2007 Microsoft will stop supportin...

Filtering Hyperlinks
Good day, I've linked excel data to a map. When I click the hyperlink (state) on the map it will highlight the cells I referenced. I would also like this data to filter. So, my question is - is there a way to setup auto filters to links. Example: If I have data in cells 1 - throught 1000, and I have a hyperlink on a map to hightlight cells 3, 6 9, 100, 1000 - is there a way I can develop a formula where only the data shows related to that hyperlink ...