How would I fill blank cells with the data from a previous cell?

Need to fill blank cells in a column with the data from the previous
non-blank cell in Excel 2000. Used to do this in Lotus. Can't seem to get it
in Excel

0
Darling (3)

try edit>fill>series (select one)
Lotus's is simpler.

0
anonymous (74723)
1/5/2005 4:58:38 PM
One way, assuming you mean you have

data
blank
data
blank

or something like that and you want the cell with data to fill in the blanks
below them?

Select the whole range, press F5, select special and blanks,
type equal sign, click on the first cell with data in the selected range,
press ctrl + enter
This will put a formula in the blanks cell refering to the cells above them,
if you want to remove the formula just copy and paste special as values in
place

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"Clive Darling" wrote:

> Need to fill blank cells in a column with the data from the previous
> non-blank cell in Excel 2000. Used to do this in Lotus. Can't seem to get it
> in Excel

0
PeoSjoblom (789)
1/5/2005 4:59:05 PM
There are instructions here for filling blank cells manually or
programmatically:

   http://www.contextures.com/xlDataEntry02.html

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)

Filling cells in between pairs of numbers
Hello all, I am trying to find an easy way to fill in cells in between pairs of numbers each of which is exactly the average of the pair's difference averaged by the number of these cells greater than the previous. So I have 1 1 2 3 4 8 5 6 7 8 20 9 10 12 13 14 15 45 I want: 1 1 2 3.333333333 3 5.666666667 4 8 5 11 6 14 7 17 8 20 9 23.57142857 10 27.14285714 11 30.71428571 12 34.28571429 13 37.85714286 14 41.42857143 15 45 I know I can do a Fill, Series, but then even with a macro that does a "control shift up fill series enter",...

ISBN data type
Hi--I am setting up a book lending database for our small non-profit. ISBN's (identification numbers unique to every book) recently went to 13 digits. I want to use the book's ISBN as the primary key for tblBooks, but it is too long for the Long Integer data type, and when you choose Single or Double as the type, it displays the ISBN with an exponent, i.e. 9781564205223 is displayed as 9.781565E+12. Is there any way to "force" Access to display the number as written? Thanks, lcnlit lcnlit <lcnlit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi--I am setting up a book...

IF number is grather than 100 color the cell red
I did this before but I can't remember how I did it. I want to have a column of numbers and if they are greater than a certain value ie: 120 , I want the sell to have the color red. Any ideas how to do this in Excel 2007? THanks Take a look at format|conditional formatting. Ron Boetger wrote: > > I did this before but I can't remember how I did it. I want to have a > column of numbers and if they are greater than a certain value ie: 120 > , I want the sell to have the color red. > > Any ideas how to do this in Excel 2007? > > THanks -- Dave Peterson ...

Case filled out from SharePoint
I need to have a simple form my users fill out to submit a case. This would include the Business Required fields on the CRM Case form. Is there an easy way to do this using SharePoint? In other words, the user would go to the SharePoint site, click a link to "Submit a Support Request". This would open a form (Infopath perhaps?) where they fill in a few simple items, click submit, and a new CRM Case is created. This then would fire any pertinent workflows as if the case had been created from within CRM itself. I'm aware there are 3rd party solutions out there but would...

Sending data to SQL Server
Hi, I am building a solution to allow a user to upload shape data to SQL Server and I have a couple of questions. 1) Is it possible to include more attributes than just the shape data, but also details of the process model file such as it's title, version, etc? I could do with having the file name in every column of shape data for example. 2) It's quite a few clicks to export the data to an SQL database (about 5 or 6). Is there a way to have this feature available say next to the floppy disc save icon? Steve Since you're building a solution, then you understand t...

Matching cells by content then cell fill with color
Thanks to JEM, I am using this routine to color three consecutive cell a specific color, in this case red: Public Sub ThreeCellsRed() ActiveCell.Resize(1,3).Interior.ColorIndex = 3 End Sub What I need now is a way for the routine to continue to find all th similar cells, let's say for sake of disc they are people's names, s when I execute the above on my name, mrh, I want it to continue in th worksheet and find all exact matches and color those same cells red. Another thought, say my name (MRH) is in "A1" and it is also in "D1". But in "D1" I use "...

column charts with multiple data sets
My data set is below. I want to show column charts: The first one would be Product A for August made up of data for versions 1-4, column two would be Product A for September made up of data for versions 1-4. The third column would be Product B for August made up of data for versions 1-4, column four would be Product B for September made up of data for versions 1-4. Product Version August September A 1 30,812 365,874 A 2 59,650,018 56,404,138 A 3 29,931,636 28,053,084 A 4 71,972 62,352 B 1 7,094,967 11,718,925 B 2 9,588,255 ...

Substituting blank fields on a form
Hi, I'm a somewhat basic Access user, so please bear with me. I have a data entry form where the user enters a number of non-required text fields. They then click a button (Add Record) to add the info to a table. What I'm hoping to do, is for the fields that they've left blank, to have them inputted into the table as saying "Not Applicable." What's the easiest way to do so? Should I be using IIF and ISNULL code in Code Builder? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, - Ryan Why not just leave them as Null in the table, and set the ...

trim spaces in a cell
How do i trim empty spaces in a cell containing an invoice number but the length of the invoice number in column B is of dynamic length? For example, Column B 123 4567-------->1234567 987 3------------>9873 5 55------------->555 Thanks. Ringo Tan Ringo If there is only ever one space then the worksheet function below should work =REPLACE(A1,FIND(" ",A1,1),1,"") -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS "ringo tan" <ringotan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F8741...

From field filled in
Hi and thanks in advance for this help. I am using Office 2003 with Exchange 2003. I have a second mailbox setup in my profile. When I reply to an e-mail sent to the other inbox, the From field is automatically filled in with that name. So for example, if the other inbox is "HelpDesk" and I reply to an e-mail in that inbox, the from field is automatically filled in as "HelpDesk". Hope that makes sense. Thanks!! <twytch111@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1175611189.053649.28340@q75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com... > Hi and thanks in advance for this help. I am...

grouping cells to sort by only one column
Hi, New to this so please bear with me. I have a spread sheet where I am listing names in column A and othe info relating to that name in columns B and C in the two rows below th name. I then start a different name in the next row down with the info in t two rows below that, and so forth. I want to be able to add more names in the future and be able to sor all of this by column A only. The problem I am having is the info i the other columns moves. I need it to somehow attatch and stay put wit it's corisponding name without moving. In other words how do I make everything from A1 to ...

Cell entry
Want to input data A1, B1 & C1 on sheet 1, which will be save / store on sheet 2 at A1,B1, and C1, again I want to input new data on sheet 1 at A1,B1 and C1 which will be automatically save / store on Sheet 2 at A2, B2, and C2, repeatedly I want to input another new data on sheet 1 at A1, B1, & C1, whcih will be again save on sheet 2 at A3, B3, & C3 and so on. Means input cell (A1) on sheet 1 will be same but output data on sheet 2 will be A1,A2,A3 and so on. Rdgss........Sudipta Press ALT+F11 to get to VBA in Project - VBAProject window double click on Sheet1 sel...

How do you fix a cell number in excel for mac
Hello, How can i fix a cell in excel for mac. I am a PC user and i allways used the F4 key, but i cant find it for excel for mac. -- Muchas Gracias, Martin From Mac XL Help ("Keyboard Shortcuts" topic): CMD-T Toggle the formula reference style between absolute, relative, and mixed. In article <9FE8FA7E-D0C1-42D4-900E-6B902466F999@microsoft.com>, Martin <Martin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hello, > How can i fix a cell in excel for mac. I am a PC user and i allways used the > F4 key, but i cant find it for excel for mac. ...

Have one fill to auto fill aother
My question is simple. I would like to have field 27 = field 25. So when someone enters the data for field 25, the same data auto populated in field 27. Any help is appreciated! Kaylen, In the CotrolSource for Field 27 type... =[field 25] ....assuming of that you are talking about a form in Microsoft Access or did you mean to post this question in the Excel newsgroup? -- Gina Whipp "I feel I have been denied critical, need to know, information!" - Tremors II http://www.regina-whipp.com/index_files/TipList.htm "Kaylen" <Kaylen@discussions....

Excel: Remove characters from cells using wildcards
Can you anyone help me with this problem please? I have a column of data like the one below and I would like to remove the the front part, (x) from the cell, but I don't want to remove the parts in bracket that come later in the cell, for example (Queensland). I tried using Replace (**), and it did remove the first set of brackets and its contents but unfortunately it also removed the second set of brackets and its contents. If it helps in the first set of bracket, (x), x is always a number . While in the second set always contains a word. Before: (1) ABC Far North (Queensland) 0630 New...

Protecting specific cells from recalculation.
Hi I know I can set calculations to be manual or automatic but can highlight a bunch of cells and make them manual recalculation onl while leaving the rest of the sheet on automatic? The reason being I generate random numbers then have a drop down lis in other cells to assign those numbers, but the drop down list remove options as they are used (the list gets exhausted) to preven duplication / re-use of the generated numbers when they are assigned this requires automatic updates to work, but when that happens th random numbers get regenerated. So can I lock those numbers somehow, protecti...

Blank Pages in Flier
I produce a monthly sales flier for the company that I work for. This coming month, my flier is 10 pages. I have it formatted as a booklet, 8.5x11, landscape, with a paper size: tabloid. However, when I go to print the flier on our color printer, it produces 2 blank pages between pages 5 and 6. I've tried changing the settings to 4 17x11 inch sheets, landscape, with a single fold to 8.5x11 inches and stapled, but I have the same result as I started with before. Any suggestions? I dont want to produce the flier with 2 blank pages in between. PublisherRookie <PublisherRookie@d...

Ref cell in another worksheet
Hi All Sorry for the very basic question. I have several worksheets in a workbook and have named the first sheet 'Info'. This sheet holds such data as 'contract number' and 'user name'..... This data is required on all the other sheets but i would like to just reference the data from the 'Info' sheet What do i have to enter on the other sheets so that this info only has to be entered on the 'Info' sheet How do i reference this data/info from the 'Info' sheet in the header/footer of printed sheets Thanks for any/all help Sal Select the sheet...

Colours changing in the fill palette and the spreadsheet?
Hi I have a user with Office 2003, and her pc and build is standard as with her colleagues. In Excel the colours would change (cells filled) also if the user goes to her pallette the colours have also changed. Desktop and all other applications colour are fine. The following resolutions have been tried - office detect and repair, updates, asked the user to got to the tools options and reset the pallette and this does not work. She has to log off and back in again in order to set it back to the proper colours. Again this is only affecting Excel? Any pointers? I wish to thank you in advanc...

Inserting multiple rows into a table while maintaining data?
Please trust me, this is a relatively simple question, but takes some explaining: I want to insert multiple rows (anywhere from 60 to 900+) into a table that I routinely use off a template. Every time I open the template, I have all my appropriate column headings, and I paste data from another program into this Excel sheet. My desired outcome is that I am able to paste rows of varying numbers, while still maintaining the last rows (for sum totals of each column) on my template. (This would help automating the task) For example, I start my column headings in row 6. A6, B6, C6, and D6 all ...

Vlookup based on Active cell
Is there a way to have a vlookup formual based on the data in the active cell. I have data on one sheet that I what to pull in to a cell on another worksheet based on the data in the active cell I click on. I looking for the reference of the vlookup to be the active cell. thanks in advance for any help on this Thomp <williamth...@gmail.com> wrote... >Is there a way to have a vlookup formual based on the data in the >active cell. I have data on one sheet that I what to pull in to a cell >on another worksheet based on the data in the active cell I click on. >I looking for the...

Formulas
I want to do an Iif statement but test if a cell is populate at all. Anyone know how to do this? so Iif([Text1]="Anything", YES, NO) What do I put for ANYTHING Hi Koolkat, Try: IIf(Len([Text1])> 0, "yes", "No") I hope this helps. Let us know how you get along. Julie Project MVP Visit http://project.mvps.org/ for the FAQs and additional information about Microsoft Project On 5/11/2010 12:39 PM, koolkat wrote: > I want to do an Iif statement but test if a cell is populate at all. Anyone > know how to do this? > so Iif([Tex...

split cells #5
How do I split a cell diagonally and put data on both sides? You may be able to get that look by typing a value and hitting alt-enter (to force a new line within the cell) (and then add some spaces to the top or bottom depending on the direction of the diagonal). Format|Cells|border tab is where you could draw the diagonal. But once you do this, it may look nice(?), but it'll become really awful to extract stuff you need for other formulas. (I wouldn't do it.) mwuttke wrote: > > How do I split a cell diagonally and put data on both sides? -- Dave Peterson ...

Pasting cell values doesn't remove the formula
WindowsXP Excel2003 I select all, copy, go to a new sheet, edit, paste special, values..its pastes different numbers and not the number that I previously had on the sheet. If you select the cell in the original range that looks different after you paste it, what do you see in that cell? What do you see in the formula bar for that cell? Any chance you're copying a range that has hidden rows/columns? Or even pasting to a range that has hidden rows/columns? HT wrote: > > WindowsXP > Excel2003 > > I select all, copy, go to a new sheet, edit, paste special, values..its ...

Problem with Blank cells
Hi , I am trying to import Excel File to MS Access using Visual Basic. The problem I encountered is as follows : When I import an excel file, if the first row of an excel file contains an empty cell then thereafter the data in that particular column doesn't get imported! I am using OLEDBJET 4.0 to connect and retrieve the data from Excel Sheet. It would be great, if anybody can post their thoughts on it! Thanks, Vijay -- vgurusa ------------------------------------------------------------------------ vgurusa's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&...