How to use excel file created in version earlier than 4.0a in 4.0

Thanks to whomever answered my query but when I opened the email the screen
was blank.  My laptop is sick. My question was and still is, how can I use my
Excel files created in a recent version on my laptop in my PC which is loaded
only with Excel 4.0a .  Please and thanks.
--
Thanks, Ajimmo
0

Hi Ajimmo

You can't, the file format changes twice since version 4. You need a newer
Excel version, a compatible spreadsheet program, or simply a viewer if all
you want to do is view / print the file.

HTH. Best wishes Harald

"ajimmo" <ajimmo@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i melding
> Thanks to whomever answered my query but when I opened the email the
screen
> was blank.  My laptop is sick. My question was and still is, how can I use
my
> Excel files created in a recent version on my laptop in my PC which is
loaded
> only with Excel 4.0a .  Please and thanks.
> --
> Thanks, Ajimmo

0
innocent (844)
5/30/2005 4:39:48 PM
Use Save As and select an earlier version of XL in the File Type area.

PC

"ajimmo" <ajimmo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks to whomever answered my query but when I opened the email the
screen
> was blank.  My laptop is sick. My question was and still is, how can I use
my
> Excel files created in a recent version on my laptop in my PC which is
loaded
> only with Excel 4.0a .  Please and thanks.
> --
> Thanks, Ajimmo

0
nospam7515 (2084)
5/30/2005 4:42:51 PM
Dear Harold:  Thanks so much to settle the question.  So, do I go to Staples
and buy a later version?  Any later version? Will the new program step
forward and grab the fle on opening if I don't uninstall the older version(as
in trying to uninstall a nasty little anti-spy program I am told "can't find
the install.log and so I seem to be stuck with that).  Will the two installed
Excel programs present a problem as descibed.  I hope I can navigate back to
this site to read the answer; it took all morning to do so and I still don't
know how I got back, or why I was so lost  or why the answer adn request for
permission to continue which appeared on my email was blank. Thanks in
advance and retrospectively.
--
Thanks, Ajimmo

"Harald Staff" wrote:

> Hi Ajimmo
>
> You can't, the file format changes twice since version 4. You need a newer
> Excel version, a compatible spreadsheet program, or simply a viewer if all
> you want to do is view / print the file.
>
> HTH. Best wishes Harald
>
> "ajimmo" <ajimmo@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i melding
> > Thanks to whomever answered my query but when I opened the email the
> screen
> > was blank.  My laptop is sick. My question was and still is, how can I use
> my
> > Excel files created in a recent version on my laptop in my PC which is
> loaded
> > only with Excel 4.0a .  Please and thanks.
> > --
> > Thanks, Ajimmo

0
ajimmo (5)
5/30/2005 6:09:11 PM
Hi Ajimmo

You may be happy with Excel 4 and it may do all that you need. But it's
really antique and served its time well. Now let it rest and take advantage
of the inventions of the last decade. Even freeware applications perform
better than Excel 4.

Newer Windows Excel file formats are

Excel 5 + Excel 7 (aka Excel 95). Multiple worksheets in a workbook. Don't
buy those unless you're a collector like me.

and

Excel 2000 + Excel XP + Excel 2003.

The latest version is all any authorized reseller will sell you. If you go
to the secondhand market, note that XP and 2003 have "product activation" in
it, and if the software has been activated already then you may have
problems or even a worthless piece of software.

2000 was a very good year. If I had to choose a single version, and
sometimes I do; Excel 2000. It will open and work with all Excel files from
all versions, no problems. (If we leave VBA out of the discussion that is,
and we do)

If youy're using a Mac, then money is not an issue anyway. Buy Excel 2004,
it's great.

> Dear Harold:  Thanks so much to settle the question.  So, do I go to
Staples
> and buy a later version?  Any later version? Will the new program step
> forward and grab the fle on opening if I don't uninstall the older
version(as
> in trying to uninstall a nasty little anti-spy program I am told "can't
find
> the install.log and so I seem to be stuck with that).  Will the two
installed
> Excel programs present a problem as descibed.  I hope I can navigate back
> this site to read the answer; it took all morning to do so and I still
don't
> know how I got back, or why I was so lost  or why the answer adn request
for
> permission to continue which appeared on my email was blank. Thanks in
> advance and retrospectively.
> --
> Thanks, Ajimmo
>

> "Harald Staff" wrote:
>
> > Hi Ajimmo
> >
> > You can't, the file format changes twice since version 4. You need a
newer
> > Excel version, a compatible spreadsheet program, or simply a viewer if
all
> > you want to do is view / print the file.
> >
> > HTH. Best wishes Harald
> >
> > "ajimmo" <ajimmo@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i melding
> > > Thanks to whomever answered my query but when I opened the email the
> > screen
> > > was blank.  My laptop is sick. My question was and still is, how can I
use
> > my
> > > Excel files created in a recent version on my laptop in my PC which is
> > loaded
> > > only with Excel 4.0a .  Please and thanks.
> > > --
> > > Thanks, Ajimmo

0
innocent (844)

Excel slow to open a book, but fast empty
Cheers! My Excel 2002 has been working fine, but lately has got a problem: it is very, very slow when opening an xls file by clicking it. It is fast as it should when I open it empty from the start menu. If I create the simplest possible book by just typing something in one cell and saving it, opening it is still slow. Perhaps this format is easier: 0. Excel has been working as it should. 1. Fast when running from start menu, opening an empty book. 2. Slow when clicking an xls file, independent of book complexity. Excel comes up with a transparent main window, but with everything else visi...

Creating a link to open an application...
We have an Access 2000 application that we wna to have automatically generate emails to users. In the body of this email, it would be nice if we could provide a link the user can click on which would then open up the Access application (the user may or may not have the application open at the time), and possibly bring up the record in question they want to be viewing ( a cust service job#). The email notifies the user there is a customer service related issue they need to look into. Each cust service issue is assigned a number, so if we could somehow pass the job# to the Access app from the ...

HOW TO USE HYPERLINK within a droplist?

Why does Excel lag Word in the simple stuff?
Like choosing the default file location in Office 2007? Like having to alter basic Windows parameters just to change the default type for comments? Little stuff that says a lot about the quality of Microsoft programming and interface design. For several versions Microsoft said it was impossible, personal correspondence, to have combo-boxes in Word forms without writing macros although they were coded into Access. Voila, combo-boxes achieve the impossible in Word 2007. Ya gotta love (or something opposite) those guys . . Either way you get to pay full OS prices for Vista SP3 aka Win 7. ...

Converting XLS file to QIF or to OFX
How do I safely and securely convert an excel file (xls) to a QIF or OFX file? "dreamchaser" wrote: > How do I safely and securely convert an excel file (xls) to a QIF or OFX file? In Excel, save the file to CSV and ustilise iCreateOFX Basic from: http://icreateofx.co.uk/Convert-CSV-to-OFX to convert the saved CSV file to OFX. ...

using forms

XmlTextReader and 2GB file limit
Are there any work arounds to get XmlTextReader to work with files bigger than 2GB? I tried to get the source of XmlTextReader and create a version with long (instead of int) offsets but I can't compile it due to package restrictions. Best wishes, Hugh McFadden hugh.mcfadden@visiongain.com Hugh McFadden wrote: > Are there any work arounds to get XmlTextReader to work with files bigger > than 2GB? I tried to get the source of XmlTextReader and create a version > with long (instead of int) offsets but I can't compile it due to package > restrictions. Sorry for lame qu...

Is there a way to export and save file properties for an Excel do.
Can this be done either in text or XML? ...

Problems with accessing Reports in CRM 3.0

System Files
Hello, I am trying to locate the boot.ini file on the Windows XP Professional CD. I am trying to create a bootable cd. Please advise. -- Mike Jessica@aol.com wrote: > Hello, > > I am trying to locate the boot.ini file on the Windows XP Professional CD. I > am trying to create a bootable cd. > > Please advise. First of all, I'll have to admit, I've never made a bootable CD from scratch myself. These are just a few bits and pieces I've noticed along the way. It is not simply a matter of "throwing" some files onto a CD. http...

Excel Display Errors in file
I have several excell 2000 documents that when opened, the first sheet in the workbook will display most of the data at around a size 72 font that will not show in the cell. All the other sheets in this workbook are fine. This also effects the column and row headings (A B C, 1 2 3). If I go to View > Zoom and zoom from the default of 75% to anything else, it fixes the problem. I can then zoom back to 75% and everything still looks fine. (Including row and column headings) The next time I open the file, the first sheet is still messed up. I have tried saving to web page and...

Using Spanish on Publisher

EXCELL Protection
There needs to be better protection on locked cells. It is possible to alter the formatting of a locked cell by pasting into the cell. Example pasting an entry copied from a % format into a currancy format changes the cell to %. This also follows with coulours etc. Secondly a formula in a locked cell can be corrupted by inadvertantly removing cells that it refers to and then replacing them. Mald Hi have you protected the sheet? (Tools - Protection') -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Mald wrote: > There needs to be better protection on locked cells. > > It is ...

topographical data maps in excel
I have seen this done, and would like to know how to create topgraphical maps of data sets using excel. I want to take a sample of data ponts and plot the points (easy), than color the plot based upon the values of the points You seem to have been neglected by our community. Yes, it can be done, if I understand your intention correctly. The topography in your approach means, in a sense, the 3D chart. The first two of the three values defininig each point specify the x- and y-coordinates (like on a map); the third value is represented by prescribed colors or shades. You must have you...

FormulaR1C1 using variables

Upgrading Money for W95 to later or latest version?
I have been using Money for W95 since I bought my first computer over 10 years ago and for whatever reason have never got round to upgrading it. My question is whether it is possible to uprade this version of Money to a later version or the latest version (which I understand is 2005 in the UK)? Are there compatability issues? I have data going back 10 years or more which I would rather not lose and really want to get myself out of the ark and into the brave new world! I've done a search on the 'net and - perhaps unsurprisingly - have not found much to read on Money for W95. So any tip...

how do you Create flashing Text
I am creating a newsletter and want one of the titles in the newsletter to flash or blink. How do I do this? Ask this here: http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.publisher.webdesign&cat=en_US_1845e149-582a-4e62-8d76-f1c90f948f44&lang=en&cr=US -- Mary Sauer MVP http://msauer.mvps.org/ "lukieguy22" <lukieguy22@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0E40D83D-8E98-40A7-ABE1-94307073C79E@microsoft.com... >I am creating a newsletter and want one of the titles in the newsletter to > flash ...

In Excel, how do I insert User Name (author) in a cell.
The function =CELL("filename",A1) returns a file name and sheet name in a cell. How can I obtain the User Name? You can write some VBA to do it. Sub Return_UserName() Sheets("sheet1").Range("A2").Value = Application.UserName End Sub -- Excel_Geek ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Excel_Geek's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=26423 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=398347 And to return just the filename (if you like) you can use this for...

Display As = File as & (address in parens)
I just moved all my contacts into a new .pst file (I'm using OL 2003) and something changed. I USED TO have "Display As" show only the person's name, and not the person's name PLUS the email address in parens as the default does. In other words, default would show "JOHN SMITH (johnsmith@aol.com)". But when I created all those entries, I changed them to show only "JOHN SMITH". In my new file, Outlook has changed all my "Display As" entries to the default: name AND email address. It's not how I want it, so I'm hoping there'...

Snapshot Viewer will not open .snp file
We have a client that sends us .snp files as email attachments. We have Office 2007 installed on new Windows XP PCs. We have the Snapshot Viewer installed. When we attempt to open an .snp file, either from email or after saving attachment to the desktop, all we get is a blank Snapshot Viewer window. If we re-install the Shapshot Viewer we can then open one .snp file and then it reverts back to opening with a blank viewer window for subsequent ..snp files that are opened. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated Susie Install a different Printer Driver for the workstations exhibiting ...

Using XML with ASP.NET