Hi
Excel automatically change the first character in a cell to be
uppercase. I just want lowercase. How can I turn off this function?
Thanks
Ngoc

0
linh (1)

Hi

Go to Tools / Autocorrect and uncheck Capitalize first letter of sentence.

Andy.

"ngoc" <linh@chello.no> wrote in message
> Hi
> Excel automatically change the first character in a cell to be
> uppercase. I just want lowercase. How can I turn off this function?
> Thanks
> Ngoc

0
andyb1 (494)

SumProduct Function
Greetings All, I need help with a really slow spreadsheet. It consist of a database of 6 columns and 1400 rows that feeds about 6 other sheets that contain 5500 instances of the SumProduct function. Each instance of the SumProduct function checks values in three columns of the datasheet. Recalculation takes about 10 to 15 seconds on a pretty fast machine with lots of memory. I've tried setting the recalculation options to ignore data tables but that's not an option when using the spreadsheet for its intended purpose. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. See t...

format detail field at runtime
i need to format a detail section bound textbox at runtime on a report. i tried using the condition formatting by entering IIf(InStr(Me.Result, "+") > 0, "positive", IIf(InStr(Me.Result, "-") > 0, "negative", Me.Result)) nothing changed also tried this in the deatil section Me.txtResult.Properties(40) = IIf(InStr(Me.Result, "+") > 0, "positive", IIf(InStr(Me.Result, "-") > 0, "negative", Me.Result)) but received an error msg. how is this accomplished? tia, mcnewsxp i fixed my undinding the...

automatic column.autofit
I have a csv text file that I want to automatically open with column autofit. the text file is generated from a query to a remote database, so it cannot contain any code. pls advise mechanism. Igor CSV files are just plain ascii text files. They'll never contain code. So you could have a wrapper workbook that opens the .csv and does your formatting or you could do it manually. Igor Lisbaron wrote: > > I have a csv text file that I want to automatically open with column > autofit. > the text file is generated from a query to a remote database, so it cannot > contain ...

Excel thinks a file is already open
Each time I open an Excel file, I get a message saying that a document with the same name is already open. I simply press Cancel, and everything is fine. This happens even when I have just started my computer, and I am the only user. (This also happens with Word files.) I have deleted all TMP files and all ~*.* files. I have used Scandisk and defragmentor. Please advise. Regards, Alan Hi Alan Look on this page http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#AlreadyOpen -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Alan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote ...

What does it mean when the computer is 'archiving' automatically
My computer started archiving without my opting to do this? Is this a good thing? Your computer doesnt Archive, Outlook does "missprim" <missprim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:100E380F-4845-4796-9020-5F64193C248A@microsoft.com... > My computer started archiving without my opting to do this? Is this a > good > thing? ...

Excel as database interface ?
It is possible to make something like that: On save user saves spreadsheet on HD and data are send to database, next time when they open the file they take data from database instead of fixed data ? Hi though you could achieve such things with VBA why not use a database directly (also for entering your data). Would be much simpler -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Piotr wrote: > It is possible to make something like that: > On save user saves spreadsheet on HD and data are send to database, > next time when they open the file they take data from database > instead o...

How do I automatically save an Excel Worksheet?
Anyone know if there is a way to automatically save an Excell Worksheet say every 5 minutes? I'm not refering to Auto Recovery. I need an actual save. -- Tony Download and install the AutoSafe Add-in by Jan Karel Pieterse: http://www.bmsltd.ie/MVP/Default.htm (note: Make sure you download AutoSafe.zip, not AutoSaveVBE.zip) In article <21FD75DF-E9A1-4B25-83B3-F8CFC0C5C29A@microsoft.com>, "Tony" <Tony@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Anyone know if there is a way to automatically save an Excell Worksheet say > every 5 minutes? I'm not referin...

reading pane keeps turning on and preview pane keeps turning off
I've been using outlook 2007 for about 6 months and all has been ok until now. My normal view is to have the reading pane turned off and the preview pane turned on. however, now things changed all of a sudden. now when ever I go to the inbox the reading pane is turned on and the preview pane is turned off. So I go to the view menu and reset the view to what it should be. if I click on any other folder such as sent items and back to the inbox, its back to reading pane on and preview pane off. This is the same behavior for all folders. any ideas how to resolve this? Thanks. -- ...

conditional formatting to highlight top score
I'm a newbie to this list so please forgive if already covered (though a search didn't find it). I have a list of top scorers in the premiership who's goals I update weekly. i want the table to show who is the top scorer this week by highlighting his name and score (just score would do). I then want to show the second and third top scoresrs. Ideally I would also like other seperate cells filled with the top scorer's name and price (also listed in orginal table) so that I effectively automatically build the week's top scoring team beside the original table. I have so far ...

Contracts automatically cancelling
We are running Field Service Contract Administration version 9.0. Ever since upgrading from version 7.5, when we cancel the last or only contract line on a contract, the system automatically cancels the entire contract. I am told this was not the case in prior versions. Anyone know if this is by design now? Any way to keep this from happening? Thanks, -- Chris Bosse Applications Manager NSI ...

Writing to a text file formatted as XML
Hi! I have a text file that looks like this: <configuration> <appSettings> <add key="db_server" value="someserver" /> <add key="db_database" value="somedatabase" /> </appSettings> </configuration> Now, I want to check if value for db_server is empty and if it is, I want to write the value. I am trying to use XmlTextWriter and XmlTextReader but being new to XML processing I don't know exactly how to do it. Can anyone help please? Regards, Kumar The easiest way would be to load the document in Xml...

Automatic Count
How do I get a record count afer I filter a column in Excel? Example: I have a list of 100 names and I filter out those who prefer phone contact versus e-mail countact. How do I get a count (a number) without manually counting each record that appears after the filter? Thank you, Frances Frances, have a look at subtotals in help, something like this should work, =SUBTOTAL(3,A2:A20) -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2002 & 2...

Problem with character set in Excel 2003 ?!
Firstly, I'm sorry if my english is not on appropriate level. I am a new user in Excel and I'm competent only in graphical Exce interface. I have a serious problem with my work with Excel 2003. I' opening *.wk1 files (Lotus 1,2,3) without problems. This filetype is i the list of Excel filetypes, so the window "Text import wizard" (whic appear after opening an unknown file for Excel, like *.txt file fo example) does not appear. These *.wk1 files were created in MS-DOS i the past and were written on cyrillic alphabet, so they have differen character set from the default i...

Toolbar for automatic series fill??
I have a customer who swears that in Ofc 2002, there was a toolbar that was used for automatic fill of alpha and numeric series, i.e. A, B, C and 1, 2, 3, so that he could type A in the first row and B would be entered automatically when he went to the next row. He has upgraded to Ofc 2003 and can't find the toolbar, and neither can I. Any ideas? Perhaps the customer had a custom designed toolbar along with some other VBA, but AFAIK there is no such default TB in any version of Excel. There is a Fill>Series dialog box in the Edit menu, but even it will only work with certain ac...

How do you turn off autoformatting?
I am making a spreadsheet that is essentially a record. In one of the cells, I am entering the old/new values for something as 4/80, which Excel instantly turns into April-80. I can format the the cell back to General, but the number that results is not 4/80. And if I go in and reset it to 4/80 again, the autoformatting kicks in again and the whole process starts over. While there are plenty of ways I could work around this, from changing the way I enter the data on up, it has become a sort of matter of honor now. How the heck do I stop Excel from overriding everything I enter? -- nickt --...

Excell 2002
Hello, I've got a problem with formatting changes not updating in linked worksheets... Simply put, if you have a document that has a linked cell to another worksheet, the formatting ie...COLORS doesn't change when you chnge the source document with the linked document??? Yes, for instance text will be updated... but again, not formatting like making it BOLD or changing the colors of the text! Any ideas... I did see a KB article 1009182 regarding a problem linking WORD with Excel... but not Excel with Excel and the formatting no holding... it possibly is the case with Excel ...

I need Microsoft Map
I need the features from Microsoft Map, because it is tightly integrated with Excel, and it allows me to add my own maps in MapInfo format. I have not seen other products that allow me to use my own maps and have same features. I work with UN consultant, we create our own mapsas we work in areas of the world where we do not have other sources. I don't understand what you mean, why don't you buy office 2000 on eBay or something Or get MapPoint from which you can export maps to Excel -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Torsten" <Torsten@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote i...

Lebans Report2PDF
First off, I want to express how much I appreciate this tool, and if I can't get around this issue it's not the end of the world. However I am having a small formatting issue I want to see if anyone has any suggestions for. I have a report that has three side by side sub- reports within it, each of which can grow. The middle sub-report has web addresses which I've formatted with underlines and colored blue to help the customer realize they can click on it to go straight to that page (which is really a function of their reader, but many customers wouldn't realize they could d...

Account register- Automatic Catagories?
Hi all: I have a question about the account register...just started using my Money 2002 again. When I download account activity from my checking account, there is quite a bit of information already in each trasaction. Then I try and clean up the month's transactions, and when I change one transaction, Money automatically updates a whole bunch (almost all) of others. So, if I change one transaction payee to "Gas Station," all of the sudden a bunch of debits from the grocery store become "Gas Station" purchases as well. Is there some sort of automatic codin...

Copying an Excel Graph to PowerPoint
I am trying to copy an Excel graph to PowerPoint as a Bitmap. PowerPoint does not seem to support paste as bitmap via a macro. Excel does not seem to support copying a graph as a bitmap (it does support coping worksheet data as a bitmap using the syntax "Selection.CopyPicture xlScreen, xlBitmap"). How can I copy a graph worksheet from Excel to PowerPoint via VB code? Thank you. Sandy Here's how to copy a chart as a bitmap picture from Excel... From Excel VBA Help: CopyPicture method as it applies to the Chart object. Copies the selected object to the Clipboard as a pic...

Automatic control names
I feel stupid asking this question, but I can't find any previous posts about it. Is it possibe to set Access 2007 so that the forms wizard will name the controls properly? The default is to name the control with the field name of the data source, but it ignores the proper naming conventions (or at least what I was taught was the convention). A textbox should be named "txtFirstName", but instead it just names it "FirstName", which then requires us to have to go through and manually rename all the controls. I suppose that a VBA routine can be written, but af...

get the curser to automatically return
How do I get the curser to automatically return to my starting column (example I’m in A1 and move to C1 enter and the curser will not go back to A2 only up, down, left, right ). Is there a way to set this up so it will return to your starting point? Charles -- Charles Charles Start in A1 then TAB across to C1. When leaving C1 hit ENTER key to drop down to A2. Using this method you will always return to original column and down one row. Another method is to unprotect columns A to C then protect the worksheet. TAB will move you across to C then back to A down one row. Gord Dibben E...

conditional formatting......
I am looking for the easiest way to create a conditional formattin formula for roughly 1000 rows, and 12 columns. What I want is if an values are an exact duplicate to highlight all cells that are a match Im sorry if I didn't explain, well enough if you have any question please let me know. Thanks for your hel -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Try this page of Chip Pearson's http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm#HighlightingDuplicates -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefi...

Automatic bill pay
I bought Quicken, and no longer have on-line access through Money. In Money, I used automatic bill pay (i.e., CheckFree, I presume) to pay my mortgage. * Do I have to call CheckFree to cancel the automatic bill pay? * Does Quicken have a free version of automatic bill pay like Money does? ...

MS Excel #5
Can I buy Excel as a stand-alone product? I'm a senior (very) and just love spreadsheets. You can get it straight from Microsoft: http://www.microsoft.com/office/excel/howtobuy/default.mspx -- Regards, Dave "Doc" wrote: > Can I buy Excel as a stand-alone product? I'm a senior (very) and just love > spreadsheets. You may be happy with an older version from eBay. Or maybe a free spreadsheet program would work for you: http://www.openoffice.org, a 60-65 meg download or a CD Doc wrote: > > Can I buy Excel as a stand-alone product? I'm a senior (ver...