How to total a column of cells without using Autosum

Help me remember please. I used to be able to quickly total a rance of cells
by simply highlighting them. The total would then appear in the fx box. I
can't seem to remember how do do this. I'm using Excell in Office 2003.

Thanks

Hi,

Select a cell directly under or to the side of the range and click the
auto-sum button (sigma) button
--
Mike

question.

"Goldar" wrote:

> Help me remember please. I used to be able to quickly total a rance of cells
> by simply highlighting them. The total would then appear in the fx box. I
> can't seem to remember how do do this. I'm using Excell in Office 2003.
>
> Thanks
Look below on the Status bar instead for the Sum.

Goldar wrote:
> Help me remember please. I used to be able to quickly total a rance of cells
> by simply highlighting them. The total would then appear in the fx box. I
> can't seem to remember how do do this. I'm using Excell in Office 2003.
>
> Thanks

0
Bob
4/21/2010 9:19:10 PM
In the bottom right hand corner of XL (on the status bar) you will see NUM if
you have number lock turned on. 2 boxes to the left of that is the area where
you are thinking of. Right click on that box an dyou will get a list of
choices incuding Sum, Count, Max, ...

If you have an error such as #N/A or Div by zero in the highlighted area
then the totaling will not work.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Goldar" wrote:

> Help me remember please. I used to be able to quickly total a rance of cells
> by simply highlighting them. The total would then appear in the fx box. I
> can't seem to remember how do do this. I'm using Excell in Office 2003.
>
> Thanks

Since using Outlook 2003 Outlook 2000 will no longer exit correctly.
I got a copy of Office 2003 as a premium for attending a Microsoft event. I installed it yesterday, found it to be unstable, didn't have much in the way of new features, and I didn't much care for the activation requirement. So I uninstalled it and reinstalled office 2K. Since using Outlook 2003, Outlook 2000 will not exit correctly. I get the "Please wait while Microsoft Outlook exits" message and it never goes away. I saved a backup of the pst file before I installed 2003. Falling back doesn't help. I accessed the back up pst file from a machine that never had...

An XML question

Creating a new template using Publisher 2002
I am writing a new letter head for a law firm and I wanted to know how to create a new template for this new letter head. Hi MSANTACRUZ (MSANTACRUZ@discussions.microsoft.com), in the newsgroups you posted: || I am writing a new letter head for a law firm and I wanted to know || how to create a new template for this new letter head. If you go to File > Save As and change the file type to Publisher Template, this will then save this as a Publisher Template which can be accessed via Start > New Office Document or in Publisher via the File > New > My Templates menu. -- Brian K...

Selecting a large range of cells?
I'm not too strong with Excel so this might be an easy question. I have a large workbook with about 50K rows and about 100 columns. I need to sort this large range of data by different columns from time to time. I know how to sort it by just holding down the left mouse button and dragging the highlighted area to include the range. Then I go to "data" / "Sort". This just takes way too long to do each time for a range this size. I hope there is a better way to include this large range without having to "grab" it all manually. Is there? THANKS. Type ...

Manual change of a fixed asset cost basis should use User Date
The manual increase or decrease of the cost basis of an asset uses the computer system date to record the transaction date. Companies that prevent computer system dates from being changed cannot record the change in cost on the correct date. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree"...

Moving a value in Column D
I have a spreadsheet with values in a couple of cells in Column E. The rest of the cells are blank. I would like a macro that would move the value of any cell containing data (non empty cells) four cells backwards and two cells downwards to Column A. Is there a macro that would do this. -- Message posted via http://www.officekb.com Sub MoveIt() Dim rCell As Range For Each rCell In Columns("E") _ .SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants) rCell.Offset(2, -4).Value = rCell.Value rCell.ClearContents Next rCell End Sub HTH -- AP "mohd21uk via OfficeKB.com" <u20517@u...

A Named cell to be in a formula for a code
Hi! I have a named cell -> combo_chk (cell J3) This combo_chk changes because of FOR..NEXT from code but the style i always like this : 4,5,12,40,45 I have 5 columns with values in the rows A B C D E 1 12 40 41 45 5 6 10 11 40 I want to find if the 1 on column A is including in the combo_chk then if the 12 on column B is including in the combo_chk e.t.c. If it is found return '1' otherwise return '0'. So for the above example i would get for the first row -> 0 1 1 0 1 for the second row -> 1 0 0 0 1 because the values from the column B,C and E are incl...

Totals on Sales Inquiry native windows
We would like to have the totals on the Sales Inquiries: Transaction by Customer Transaction by Document Sales Documents Sales Items Today we can retrieve this information in separated inquiries and reports, be we would like to heve a easier way to see this totals... The same suggest can be applied to Smartlist. If possible, you can create a tool to sum a field after you make a filter I created a screen where you can see all sales, separated by day of week, and week of year, and totals YTD,MTD and WTD, but I am not able to have the same information grouped by item number, for example.....

Re: fuction to copy Column a and b to comment or colum c?
Please help!!! I would like to know a fuction or a way to just recop what ever is in colum a and c to comment in colum d. Is this eve possible? If not maybe a fuction to put values of colum a and c t colum d. Please keep in mind this would prevent me from typing again. Thanks!!! -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com You can concatenate the values in A & C in column D with a formula: =A1&C1 or =A1&" "&C1 if you want those values in a comment, you'll need a little code. This is a sub (not a function): Option Explicit Sub MakeComments() Dim...

Win98 memory bottleneck for using XML in MSDE2000
Used to read newsgroup for answers, now have to ask for them as well. I have an application (C#, .NET 1.1) that connects to local db on MSDE 2000 SP3a (using ADO from MDAC 2.71) on one side and to a web service on the other (not relevant I guess). Some stored procedures consume xml produced by DataSet objects (values as elements) using OPENXML statements. The application should be distributed among users having also Win98. Established that I require min 128 MB of physical memory to run it. However on Win98 I need to set 'min server memory' value to 128 otherwise even small OPENXML st...

total cost on report
I have areport with a cost field that I would like to total that collum at the end of the report. How do I do this ? do I need to create another field (total) please help thanks, jettro Jettron wrote: >I have areport with a cost field that I would like to total that collum at >the end of the report. How do I do this ? do I need to create another field >(total) The usual way is to use a text box with an expression like: =Sum([cost field]) -- Marsh MVP [MS Access] I'm in design view of the report, where do I insert this expression? I clicked on page footer to insert thi...

Standard Cost Changes:'Do not Rollup through Where Used' functiona
There is a major issue that needs to be resolved regarding the way this functionality works. In a nutshell, the program is storing the global BoM tree changes that would have happened from a rollup when 'Do Not Rollup Where Used' was checked and it is applying these on the next rollup--even if the part # being changed in the new rollup is completely unrelated to the previous one. Let's say, for example, that you just created a brand new part #, with no relationship to ANY BoM. It is a Standard Cost (FIFO Periodic) item. You go to enter Material and Overhead costs for this...

Picture size increase/decrease in size using code
Hi, Is it possible to have a macro which will blow a picture up when you click on it, and then will shrink it again if clicked again, and will work on any picture i.e. only one macro need be written? Regards John Just thought of something that would probably be better. Is it possible to click on the picture so that it would open in a new window so that you can use the X to close again? The workbook would have approx 200 pictures, so if at all possible have one code that can pick up any picture Help greatly appreciated. Many thanks John "JohnUK" wrote: > ...

Setting ID# to 1 & Total on bottom of query result
Hi, I have 2 separate questions. First how do I set the ID# to 1 for the first record. I copied my whole database including queries and forms which were 2009 records and changed the titles to 2010. I did a "compact and repair" to the 2010 database. But when I start to enter records for 2010 the ID# is 2550. How can I reset the ID# back to start at 1? On many of my queries I have the results be for example 28 Caucation, 43 African American, 65 Hispanic, 4 Asian, 2 Native American. I need these numbers separate like they are but I would like a total line at the bottom...

macro
I have several columns in an income sheet. One column has a sum at the bottom. I want to be able to run a simple macro that will copy the last row of formatted cells, just above the sum total, and insert it as a new row just above the sum total so another line of data can be input. But I want the sum total to sum also the newly inserted row. Presently I can't figure out how to do it. Example A B C 1 24 Oct Dollars In $100 2 25 Oct Dollars out $25 3 Total ...

How to make chart columns thicker
Hi I am using excel 2007. I am trying to create a chart with 20 weeks in the x axis. The chart type is Column, clustered column. The chart displays two lots of data. The problem is, the columns are displayed as very thin, in fact they're little more than lines, yet there is a lot of room on the chart for them to be much thicker. How do I make the columns thicker? The chart just looks daft at the moment. Thanks for any help Colin Ok, brain in gear now, I've worked out what was wrong. The problem was that the x-axes was recognising the data as a date. I told it that it was text by ...

pivot table
I have excel 2002. I use all the time pivot tables and I have the problem that in the previous versions of excel I did not have.. Whenever I have a pivot table and I want to use the information that is included in it, when I make a reference to one of the cells of the pivot table, instead of getting just the value included in the cell and for example the reference " =J2", what I get is something like the following: " =+GETPIVOTDATA("a",$I$10,"a",1) ". Therefore, for example, if I want to drag down that formula I always have to unlock the cell (take out t...

Blinking cells
Is there a way to have text or background blink (like in Word)? Hi though this is possible with some VBA code (using the OnTime method) I really would recommend NOT to use such things: - it will slow down Excel (due to the use of the OnTime method) - personally I think blinking cells shouldn't be a part of a spreadsheet If you need this you may search the Google archives for "Excel blinking cells" -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Pointer wrote: > Is there a way to have text or background blink (like in Word)? Hi Pointer! Much requested but much derided in ter...

How do I tell EXCEL to use macros in ThisWorkBook.
I put a workbook together withe several sheets and macrs/VBA Code. Runs fine on my machine.... I email it out to a few friedns and it does not work on thier machines. I had them set macro security to prompt when macros are going to be run. Still nothing. After some research, I think the trouble is that EXCEL has to be told to look in ThisWorklbook first. How do I do that? Do I have to adjsut the actual code? Here is my code: Option Explicit Sub Main() Call RawFilter Call GetScenarioTurns Call FormatWorkingData Call ProcessData End Sub Sub RawFilter() Sheets(&qu...

Printing Long Columns
I have a simple worksheet with order numbers in column A and corresponding completion dates in column B. Since there are over 1,000 orders, it takes many pages to print the sheet, with a great deal of paper wasted on the blank area to the right of the two columns. Other than the tedious process of cutting and pasting, is there a way to arrange the information into multiple multiple columns across the page? Try this example on David's site Charlie http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/snakecol.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2002 SP-2) www.rondebruin.nl "Cha...

Too Many Different Cell Format
I got error message " Too Many Different Cell Format". Anyone know what caused it? Thank you. for further assistance on this particular issue, click on https://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.excel.misc&tid=1d4df007-3dc4-41f0-8182-aafe32548d4f&cat=en-us-excel&lang=en&cr=US&sloc=en-us&m=1&p=1 -- learn - n - enjoy ------------------------------------- click yes below, if it works for you "Bamboo" wrote: > I got error message " Too Many Different Cell Format". Anyone know ...

separate contents of one cell into multiple cells
Hi ! Is there a way to separate a content in one cell into mutiple cels?? I have this: Portugal,KM25,2,euros,2002 what I=B4m looking for is separate all this between comma like Portugal in one cell km25 in other cell 2 in other and so. Thanks Horacio Try Text to column under Data (2003) using coma as the delimiter. HTH Regards, Howard "Horacio" <h.anastacio@gmail.com> wrote in message news:61d06312-3aee-45da-9bb0-72ef25430fe7@a32g2000yqm.googlegroups.com... Hi ! Is there a way to separate a content in one cell into mutiple cels?? I have t...

Excel 2007 changes links in cells
Hello guys, when I enter link to TXT file in the cell (e.g. D:\aa\ss\ko-hs-048-332-09\11ss.txt), for some reason it changes to C:\Users\Eddie\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\ko-hs-048-332-09\11ss.txt after some time. It seems to me it's something like Temporary Internet Files in IE... Any ideas how to keep the original link assuming that I haven't changed the location of the file? Thanks, Milan -- Milan Bortel MCP, MCAS, MCTS GOPAS Computer Training Center Brno, Czech Republic Saved from a previous post: A few people have said that this has stopped a s...

Finding Cells that Total a Value
Hello Friends, I need some assistance in solving a problem. I have a spreadsheet with over five hundred lines of transactions. The sum of these transactions are creating a balance on the account. Is there any formula/macro that will help me find the transactions creating the balance? The sum of the account should be zero. To clarify, if we owe client money, there would be a transaction setting up that postive balance then a payment on the account taking it back to zero. There could be multiple transactions and then one net payment. Or we could be due to receive. So at the end of the day, th...

Last non-blank cell
I have a spreadsheet which consists of a list of invoices which grows as the year progresses. The invoice date is in column A. What I want to do is a calculation based on the date in the last non-blank cell in column A. How can I refer to this cell in a formula? -- Peter Ying tong iddle-i po! If you are looking for a number, just look for any number larger than possible in your list. =MATCH(99999999,A:A) -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Peter Twydell" <peter@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:vV9stXEc4fNBFwja@ntlworld.com... > I have a spread...