How to stop Excel from changing the cell properties?

Hi everyone,

I've just started using Excel for some small spreadsheet I need to have,
and I've stumbled upon a little problem.

Whenever I enter some text in a cell (for example August 2004), Excel
converts it to a 'date' format (aug/2004) which is not what I want.

How can I stop Excel from making these conversions, and tell it to keep
what I type?

Thanks in advance,

Ikke
0
ikke6475 (2)

Ikke, format the cell as text or put a ' in front of it, you want see the '
--
Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"Ikke" <ikke@hier.be> wrote in message
> Hi everyone,
>
> I've just started using Excel for some small spreadsheet I need to have,
> and I've stumbled upon a little problem.
>
> Whenever I enter some text in a cell (for example August 2004), Excel
> converts it to a 'date' format (aug/2004) which is not what I want.
>
> How can I stop Excel from making these conversions, and tell it to keep
> what I type?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Ikke

precede it with a single apostrophe ', or format the cell as text.

--

HTH

RP

"Ikke" <ikke@hier.be> wrote in message
> Hi everyone,
>
> I've just started using Excel for some small spreadsheet I need to have,
> and I've stumbled upon a little problem.
>
> Whenever I enter some text in a cell (for example August 2004), Excel
> converts it to a 'date' format (aug/2004) which is not what I want.
>
> How can I stop Excel from making these conversions, and tell it to keep
> what I type?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Ikke

0
bob.phillips1 (6510)
5/4/2005 8:05:06 PM
"Bob Phillips" <bob.phillips@notheretiscali.co.uk> wrote in

> precede it with a single apostrophe ', or format the cell as text.

Thanks Bob and Paul, I'll try that. Formatting the cell as text did not
help, because then the 'august 2004' part is changed into a number.

Regards,

Ikke
0
ikke6475 (2)
5/4/2005 8:07:18 PM
Ikke, you will need to format the cell as text before you put in August
2004, then it will stay that way
--

> "Bob Phillips" <bob.phillips@notheretiscali.co.uk> wrote in
>
>> precede it with a single apostrophe ', or format the cell as text.
>>

> Thanks Bob and Paul, I'll try that. Formatting the cell as text did not
> help, because then the 'august 2004' part is changed into a number.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ikke

Ikke,

you can customize the date in Excel. Fromat cells (CTRL+1), Number tab, in
Category seelct Custom. The format of date as you mentioned enter in the Type
text files:
mmmm yyyy
mmmm stands for fully named monthy; yyyy stand for 4 digits year.

Enjoy!
--
Regards
Lukas Polansky

"Ikke" wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I've just started using Excel for some small spreadsheet I need to have,
> and I've stumbled upon a little problem.
>
> Whenever I enter some text in a cell (for example August 2004), Excel
> converts it to a 'date' format (aug/2004) which is not what I want.
>
> How can I stop Excel from making these conversions, and tell it to keep
> what I type?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Ikke

0
lukas (3)

How do you remove the outside border on a chart in Excel 2007?
I have created several charts and an outside border appears on the page. I want to remove that border. ...

Excel Files on the Web
Hi, I'm looking at setting up all our excel reporting on my company intranet. We have numerous excel based reports that we currently have on our server that we email out to users. However, we have a diverse user group who reside in many different locations. I'm just looking at any basic advice or software on how this can be achieved. Thanks. ...

new to excel...
Hi all, I am a programmer but have not used excel in a long time... I am considering myself a new user, and I just exported a couple of sql server tables into excel spreadsheets that I need to compile into a report. The data is basically a product of a survey from which I need to do summaries and charts. The first question is : Is there a way to summarize using conditionals? That is, while the summary is being done, to have counters for different values? The nex is to what is the easiest way to produce a frequency chart from value results in a column. Thanks, and have a wonderful day. ...

update a date cell only when worksheet is edited
Hi. is there a function that updates the date cell automatically only when the worksheet is edited or something to that effect. thank you This might help http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/timestamp.html Regards Rowan Joe Black wrote: > Hi. is there a function that updates the date cell automatically only when > the worksheet is edited or something to that effect. thank you ...

Excel Tool Bar Gone
My "alpha" excel tool bar is gone (e.g., File, Edit, Data, Help). The object tool bars are still there, but I can't figure out how the "alpha" tool bar left or, more importantly, how to get it back. Any ideas? Right click on a toolbar, and choose Customize from the pop up menu. In the dialog that displays, ensure that "Worksheet Menu Bar" is checked. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "txhokie1" <txhokie1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:14EE5353-8723-...

stops responding

suppress decimal point combine print word and excel
When I use word to combine print (office 2002). some excel numberic value is long than I expect, I want to suppress decimal point only two digital . for example 20.22233222424 trans to 20.22 how can I do ? scwu@dfjh.tpc.edu.tw Hi in Word you can apply a format to imported fields or round your data in the Excel file with ROUND -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany thomas wrote: > When I use word to combine print (office 2002). > some excel numberic value is long than I expect, I want to suppress > decimal point only two digital . > for example 20.22233222424 trans to 20....

blue stop screen 0x0000007E

QuickBooks export to Excel
Suddenly, my QuickBooks program no longer allows me to export to Excel. Worked fine a week ago. I can log onto QB from every other pc in the office, and export to Excel works. Any ideas? Since you are exporting from QB I would start at that end. What trouble-shooting have you done? What message do you get when you try an export from QB? Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 06:41:02 -0700, SecurityGuy <SecurityGuy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Suddenly, my QuickBooks program no longer allows me to export to Excel. >Worked fine a week ago. I...

Excel opens with an error report whenever I Boot Up my computer
A couple of days ago, I noticed that whenever I boot up my computer, an error report comes up indicating that Excel needs to close because of error. I unistalled office and the message wnet away. But when I reinstalled Office, the message came right back. Thoughts? ...

Incorrect date in line chart in Excel.
I'm having difficulty with a line chart. I've got two ranges of numbers of two types of calls (from 1972 through 2004) that goes up from 50 to 7700. My chart's Y axis has automatically decided to show from 0 to 16,000. On the chart itself, my data placement starts at about 6,000 (for both 24 “F” calls and 649 “M” calls in the year 1972) and goes up to a point above 14,000 (for a figure that should only be just above 7000). I've tried to change the scale of my Y axis, but when I am able to so (2 out of 5 times) my data then goes off the chart. So I've looked at m...

Pivot Table - wont refresh
I've not experienced this problem in Excel 2000, but after upgrading to Excel 2003, there's an odd problem. Has anyone experience something similar - User error or bug? The problem: 1. Create pivot table with pivot table 'pages'. 2. The page selection list includes a listing that is not in the raw data. Refreshing the pivot table wont reset. It is possible to ascertain from the list order, which data item is being incorrectly shown. 3. In the raw data, replace the name of the incorrectly displayed data item with something else (eg 'ABC') 4. refresh the pivot tab...

recipient policy stopped working

Changing the Password for the Mail Services Account
Is there an issues with doing this on an exchange 5.5 server. I think not, but figure I would ask first. Thanks, SRG Actually, yes there are issues. In addition to changing the password from within User Manager, you would also need to change the password on all of the Exchange Services in the Services applet (Control Panel, Services) as they run under the context of that user account, and also in Exchange Admin on the properties of the Configuration container, Service Account Password tab. -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP "SRG" <mlaufer@srg.com> wrote in message news:ae...

European Version of Excel different from North American?
Hi, I have a user who has received a spreadsheet from Ireland, and it contains formulas that I haven't seen before. Either the formulas are wrong or they are able to use different forumulas out there (we are located in Canada). For example: ='PV ORIGINAL'!D19 Any suggestions? Hi In this particular case this is not a formula but a simple reference to a cell D19 from another worksheet named PV ORIGINAL in the same workbook. HTH Cordially Pascal "ryandelage" <ryandelage@discussions.microsoft.com> a �crit dans le message de news:BEC41365-BC74-42E5-967A-EBCFB1F027...

Export PDF information into Microsoft Excel
What do you do with your data that's stuck in your PDF forms? FDF Decoder from Spotted Dingo Inc., gives you the ability to quickly turn your useless PDF information into a data mine of valuable information. FDF Decoder is a desktop application which creates csv files from your pdf interactive forms (acroforms) in individual or batch file mode. You then can easily import your information into Microsoft Excel to create intelligent spread sheets which can then be entered into databases and aid you in your statistical analysis. FDF Decoder works with the PDF's exported Form Data (FDF...

Where is the international option in Excel 2010?
Can someone help me to find the international option in Excel 2010? In the older version of Excel it was under the tools/options/ international tab. I'm having a terrible time finding it in Excel 2010 :o thanks for you help, ~Tom ...

converting pdf to excel #2
does anyone know how to convert pdf into excel without cheating and paying for a converter. I know it can be done i just havent figured it out yet Hi without a converter it is down to manual copy, paste and adjusting the format. Keep in mind that a PDF file was originally meant to be the LAST stage in a document creating process! -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany NEVER BEEN ABLE TO DO BEFORE...converting pdf to excel wrote: > does anyone know how to convert pdf into excel without > cheating and paying for a converter. I know it can be done > i just havent figured it out ...

Is there a "replace" or "substitute" command in Excel's VB?
Hi, I was hoping someone could help me with a quick question. Is there a command something like "substitute" or "replace"? I basically want a command that will replace all instances of a particular character with another character... For example, I'd like to remove all the spaces from the string "hello there world" to make it "hellothereworld". Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks tanast, try =SUBSTITUTE(A2," ","") regards, JohnI <tanast@ing.com.au> wrote in message news:3fd02534.23059477@news.clari.net.au.....

Excel 2007
Hi all - first post to this ng I've just had my first play with Excel 2007 and (while I appreciate things move on) I don't like the new ribbon interface. In particular it's irritating me that (having been an Excel user since 1994) I consider myself something of an expert - yet this new interface is actually slowing me down. I've heard (can't remember where now) that there's a way to put the old interface back (but you need to buy some 3rd party software to do this). Is this true? Is this the only way to do it? I just wondered if there was an update which inc...

Stopping the scroll bar
Hi all, this is my first time. I don't know if this is the right place for this problem but here I go. I have created a template of an invoice the size of an A4 and would like to stop the scroll bar moving both horizantally and vertically in normal view just as if it was in print view. Is that possible through VBA and if yes what is the code that I would need to achieve such task. Thanks in advance --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Not too sure what you are after but you can remove the scrollbars with <Tools - Options> and then in the View tab, at the bottom,...

Converting Quatro Pro 5.0 file to Excell
Can this be done. If so, how. I would really like to preserve and use my quatro pro files in excell. Thanks. try the excel newsgroup... >-----Original Message----- >Can this be done. If so, how. I would really like to >preserve and use my quatro pro files in excell. Thanks. >. > ...