I  need to type numbers into an excel spreadsheet some of them begin with a
zero some do not. How can I have excel show the 0 in the numbers that begin
with 0. If I type 0236547 the number shows as 236547. I don't want all the
numbers I type to begin with zero.

I am using Excel 2003. Thanks very much for your help.

Best regards,

Dee

use a custom format with how ever many digits you need, 000000

--

Gary Keramidas
Excel 2003

"Dee" <Dee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I  need to type numbers into an excel spreadsheet some of them begin with a
> zero some do not. How can I have excel show the 0 in the numbers that begin
> with 0. If I type 0236547 the number shows as 236547. I don't want all the
> numbers I type to begin with zero.
>
> I am using Excel 2003. Thanks very much for your help.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Dee

0
Gary
1/28/2010 10:32:46 PM
you need to put a an apostraphe before the number.  you should type '0236547

"Dee" wrote:

> I  need to type numbers into an excel spreadsheet some of them begin with a
> zero some do not. How can I have excel show the 0 in the numbers that begin
> with 0. If I type 0236547 the number shows as 236547. I don't want all the
> numbers I type to begin with zero.
>
> I am using Excel 2003. Thanks very much for your help.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Dee
"Dee" <Dee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I  need to type numbers into an excel spreadsheet some of them begin with a
> zero some do not. How can I have excel show the 0 in the numbers that
> begin
> with 0. If I type 0236547 the number shows as 236547. I don't want all the
> numbers I type to begin with zero.
>
> I am using Excel 2003. Thanks very much for your help.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Dee

Do you need to do mathematical calculations on these numbers, or are they
some sort of reference or item number? If the latter, just format as text.

0
John

How to create a similar resume in MS Excel ???
Hello All, I came across this interesting resume which has been prepared as a graph and charts sheet / dashboard. Although some may question its relevance / consistency in color usage / display of information , it is doing what it means to do... It captures attention and would surely give the candidate a boost. http://theportfolio.ofmichaelanderson.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/resume-infographic.jpg I was wondering how this can be created using MS Excel... can someone help me on this ??? Regards, Anand Kumar On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 22:13:21 -0700 (PDT), anandydr <anandydr@gmail.com> w...

Excel query from Access databases
Hi, I have two separate databases in Access that have a common field of CustNo. I'll like to run a query in Excel using Get External Data... whereby I could create a report that brings in data from both the databases. Having tried this in Excel, it seems that I can only use one table at a time, is there a way to overcome the issue. Thanks, Rob Hi Rob- "I have two separate databases in Access that have a common field of CustNo." Is that accurate or do you mean 2 separate Tables in 1 Access DB file which use CustNo as the common field? AFAIK you can only query one Access...

Excel Charts with attached comments option
It would be good if you could add a comment to a cell and have an option when charting that cell to either show the comment or not. The comment should then be linked to that specific data point. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com...

Formulas in Excel
Hi I am not sure how to word this but here goes, I would like to be able to enter a w-4 withholding exemption (single and 1 or married and 2, etc.) and have excel calculate this change automatically. Would this be an IF formula? Thanks for any help you can offer. -- Life, Love and Happiness Give us some figures or a bit for information as anything can be an IF statement, a simple =A1+B1 can be If=(A1<>"",A1+B1,"") or an if and If=(And(A1<>"",B1<>""),A1+B1,"") etc. so as you can see we need a little more info! -- The...

How do I separate address information from within an Excel cell?
I have a Christmas Card list that was created using a single cell for the whole address. Street, City, Zip/Postal etc. I need to split those components out into separate cells in order to do a proper mail merge. Is there any way to do this. I am not completely unfamiliar with macros but I if that is the solution I would require a fair bit of hand holding. Thanks S. If you actually used commas to separate the fields (and none of the fields contain commas), you could select the column and do: Data|text to columns delimited comma Remember to keep enough open columns to the right s...

Can I move down 12 rows in excel for every new entry
I am entering records of numbers which have formulas for calculation. I want to place these records every 12 rows and be able to automate the worksheet for our office personnel. How? HELP!! There can be anywhere from 50 to 150 records depending on how many batches are produced in manufacturing plant. right click sheet tab>view code>copy\paste this. If not column A (1) then change. Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) If Target.Column <> 1 Then Exit Sub Target.Offset(12).Select End Sub -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "Mickey&...

Coordinating tracking numbers !
I have make reciept books , 50 to each pack with tracking numbers.. now the problem iam have is that when i print 4 to 1 page, it does ok to set each number in sequance, it seems... but if i print a pile of pages and it comes time to cut that stack into 4 , i run into trouble.. then i realize the numbers dont go in order in their own little stacks..that eachnumber below that is not the right number, so after i have to go and put them all in order by hand ..thats crazy must be a better way. I do similar with chances (5 to a page). When you do the merge for the numbers you need to use 4...

removing macros in Excel 97
I have a few spreadsheets that upon opening ask if I want to enable or disable the macros. When I open the file there are no macros and unhiding the sheets shows no macros as well. I have removed the modules that were present on the file but to no avail, every time I open the file it asks the same question. Does anyone know how to find these hidden macro's. I tried the knowledge database (article attached) but it didn't work as there are no ranges or hidden ranges as well. Can someone help, this is getting frustrating. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;...

How to add right-click menu in excel.
I have a user who cannot right click on cells. When she right clicks on a cell nothing happens. I have check in MS-Word (thinking that it has something to do wit office) but it works fine. What is the easiest way to get the right-click menu working again. She had this problem once before but cant remember how it was fixed. Thanks for the help -- oioio ----------------------------------------------------------------------- oioioi's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2719 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=4670...

Frx NP rows and Excel export
In versions of Frx6.7 SP9 and lower when a column is made NP in Frx, when the report genrated is exported to Excel the NP column is not transferred to Excel. In Frx6.7 SP10 I have now found that NP columns now export to Excel and are displayed as hidden columns in Frx. As far as I can tell is is supposed to be function enhancement rather than a bug. Can someone confirm this for me? Also - is there a way somehow to ensure it works in the way it did previosuly (I ask this I my client has multiple complex Excel sheets that link to the columns in this exported sheet - now due to this '...

Need inserted lines to print in correct position on Excel graphs
The aim lines and trend lines that I inserted into the Excel graph appear in the correct position on my monitor screen, but when I print the graph they appear higher than when seen on the screen. How can I get the printed lines to appear in the correct position? Hi, Did you use shapes to draw the lines? You could try changing the Move and cell property. But the best solution would be to create the lines using dummy series. Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "Lavonne" <Lavonne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D4CD...

Ordering by number and text
I use a report to print out checklists that in the detail section have item number to delineate each checklist item. The item numbers as an example are 1-1, 1-2, 1-2a, 1-2b, or 2-1, 2-2, 2-3, 2-3a, 2-3b and so on. The report is grouped by checklist section and the grouping works perfectly but when the report is printed the item numbers are ordered in this order 1-1, 1-10, 1-11, 1-2, 1-3, 1-3a, 1-3b, 1-4, 1-5, 1-6, 1-7, 1-9. Obviously I want the the order to be in proper numerical sequence where 1-10 comes after 1-9. but even replacing the '-' with a decimal point doesn't ...

count number of sheets in workbook
Is there a way using VBA to count and report the total number o worksheets in another closed workbook. I don't mind briefly opening and closing the workbook to perform th function. I am attaching the workbook in an email and wanted to includ the total number of sheets in the body of the email. Thanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi try the following Option Explicit sub foo() Dim wbk As Workbook Dim count_wks Dim path As String Dim wbk_filename As String 'Initialization Application.ScreenUpdating = False path = "D:\Temp\" 'change this log_fil...

How do i show conditionality in a UML Sequence Diagram ?
Can someone give me an UML Sequence example (diagram or directions) that uses conditionality. That is display a logic that says: if a > b send a message1 from Object1 to Object2 else send anothermessage2 from Object1 to Object3. 10x in advance Eyal Kobrigo "Eyal Kobrigo" <Eyal Kobrigo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6AFC9BDD-5CBC-4AE9-8E6B-1E4007BE0812@microsoft.com... > Can someone give me an UML Sequence example (diagram or directions) that > uses > conditionality. That is display a logic that says: if a > b send a > message1 > fro...

Close Button In Excel Grayed Out
From time to time, when I open Excel the close button in the top right to close the program is grayed out, and I have to go to File -> Exit to close the program. I think I remeber a knowledgebase article concerning this topic about 6 months ago when someone else in the office was having the problem, but I can't seem to find it. Anyone know the cause/workaround for this bug? Any help is appreciated. cheers, Ben Moore Hi http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;260199&Product= xlw XL: Close Button Is Dimmed After Groupwise Is Installed -- Regards Frank Kabel F...

Links in Excel 2000...need help
Hi, Would you happen to know how to switch the setting in excel so that when I doubleclick on a cell with a link to another tab (worksheet), it will take me to that tab and specifically the cell referenced? Thx, Maybe you can use a worksheet formula. David McRitchie has posted these formulas that he uses. =HYPERLINK("#"&CELL("address",C5),C5) =HYPERLINK("#"&CELL("address",sheetone!C5),sheetone!C5) =HYPERLINK("#"&CELL("address",'sheet two'!C5),'sheet two'!C5) === but you meant like what hap...

Print Preview only shows in Grey Scale
Hi There, I just got finished creating my letter head in MS Publisher 2003 and when I went to preview it using Print Preview it only shows in Grey Scale. How do I view it in color? Thanks! Does it print in color? Do your other publications show color in print preview? What version Publisher? -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.mvps.org/msauer/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Jeff" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6dd401c42f4f$73c41a50$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Hi There, > > I just got finished creating my letter hea...

Displaying or showing a defined cell name in another cell

Number formatting
My cell format is "general" with no decimal places and comma separator ticked... if I enter a number e.g. 54389, the last two digits are dropped and the number rounds up. If I type the comma e.g. 54,389 it displays correctly. On Friday I didn't have to type in the comma, now I do. Can anyone explain what I need to do to get it to go back to the original format? Hi Yhtak: Try: Tools | Options | Edit | Untick the 'Fixed Decimal' option. --- Regards, Norman "yhtak" <yhtak@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C634664C-49CD-4BCF-BF5...

Using Powerpoint 2007
PPS files on webpage open as PPT using PowerPoint 2007. Don't have this same issue when opening the same link from an Office 2003 computer, they run the show only. -- Miroshak ...

getting events from Excel
Hello, How to I send events from Excel to my VB6 application? I am unfamiliar with ActiveX . I think I see it as some sort of server logically sitting between my app and Excel. That is to say, I think that I would raise events in Excel VBA, the server catches them and raises events in my vb6 app. My need for this is that my app installs a toolbar in Excel. When the user selects an action from the toolbar, I need to send to my app the action code and a string of coded information. I would also like to have Bidirectional communication but I dont see how that could be done. I n...

Comma in Number Format
Is there a way to make the Use 1000 Separator option in the Number Formate dialog box checked by default? Hi don't think you can do this. What you can do is setup a new template with the cells formated already in your desired format -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Erin" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:16a601c48c44$b5925f30$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Is there a way to make the Use 1000 Separator option in > the Number Formate dialog box checked by default? Using Format/Style... add a new style, and choose the number format ...

A line showes up in print that is not on the screen in publisher.
I can't find it to remove it on screen, seems like a text box line. How do I deleate it? What version Publisher are you using? The line could be behind something else on your page. You could be experiencing printer driver problems. Look into an upgraded driver. Select all on your page, do you see the line segment? If you cannot see the line to delete it, open another instance of Publisher and copy/paste each of your objects into the new publication. Some corruption may be going on. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.micros...

excel printing #8
how can I print pictures in excel sheet properly as it is getting printed thrice whereas it shows once in the print preview. I've never seen xl do this--but I don't print too many pictures using xl. But after verifying that the pictures are indeed correct (there aren't triplicates), I'd look at the printer driver. Do you have another printer you can try? If it works on that other printer, I'd visit the printer's web site and look for a new (or fresher) copy of the driver. (But this is just something to try!) yong wrote: > > how can I print > pictures in...

why does excel add 0's to a cell?
when I add numbers to a cell, excel adds tree zero's to the number. Is this a bug in excel? How can I fix this problem? Check the number format for the cell. Format it as General. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "Kathryn" <Kathryn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:174D91D7-B8A2-4058-9A80-C47D33D369E6@microsoft.com... > when I add numbers to a cell, excel adds tree zero's to the > number. Is this a > bug in excel? How can I fix this problem? Kathryn, If Chip's su...