How to see full path name of open workbook?

Is there a simple way to see the full path name (folder and file name) of an
open workbook?

0
Joe

Hi Joe,

=CELL("filename",A1)

Ed Ferrero
www.edferrero.com

0
Ed
3/18/2010 5:10:00 AM
Where do you want to see this?

If you display the Web Toolbar you will see path and name if the bar.

On the Title Bar?

Add this code to Thisworkbook module.

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
ActiveWindow.Caption = ActiveWorkbook.FullName
End Sub

Application.Caption = ""
End Sub

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 21:22:04 -0700, "Joe User" <joeu2004> wrote:

>Is there a simple way to see the full path name (folder and file name) of an
>open workbook?

0
Gord
3/18/2010 3:46:16 PM
"Gord Dibben" <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote:
> If you display the Web Toolbar you will see path and name

Thanks.  That will do nicely.

> On the Title Bar?

Yeah, that's my preference.  But it's not worth creating a Workbook_Open
macro just for this unless I want to apply it to all Excel files that I
open.  Not sure if I do.

However....

> Private Sub Workbook_BeforeClose(Cancel As Boolean)
> Application.Caption = ""
> End Sub

Why bother?  Just good practice to restore the default, for example if I
only want to apply this to one workbook, but not others open subsequently in
the same Excel instance?  Just to show me how, in case I wanted to?  (Good
idea.)  Or is this an Excel requirement?(!)

> If you display the Web Toolbar you will see path and name if the bar.
>
> On the Title Bar?
>
> Add this code to Thisworkbook module.
>
> Private Sub Workbook_Open()
> ActiveWindow.Caption = ActiveWorkbook.FullName
> End Sub
>
> Private Sub Workbook_BeforeClose(Cancel As Boolean)
> Application.Caption = ""
> End Sub
>

> Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP
>
> On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 21:22:04 -0700, "Joe User" <joeu2004> wrote:
>
>>Is there a simple way to see the full path name (folder and file name) of
>>an
>>open workbook?

0
Joe
3/18/2010 5:53:27 PM
Not necessary to have the BeforeClose event.

Other workbooks opened subsequently will not have the full path.

Gord

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 10:53:27 -0700, "Joe User" <joeu2004> wrote:

>"Gord Dibben" <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote:
>> If you display the Web Toolbar you will see path and name
>
>Thanks.  That will do nicely.
>

>> On the Title Bar?
>
>Yeah, that's my preference.  But it's not worth creating a Workbook_Open
>macro just for this unless I want to apply it to all Excel files that I
>open.  Not sure if I do.
>
>However....
>

>> Private Sub Workbook_BeforeClose(Cancel As Boolean)
>> Application.Caption = ""
>> End Sub
>
>Why bother?  Just good practice to restore the default, for example if I
>only want to apply this to one workbook, but not others open subsequently in
>the same Excel instance?  Just to show me how, in case I wanted to?  (Good
>idea.)  Or is this an Excel requirement?(!)

0
Gord
3/18/2010 9:56:43 PM
Put the following code in the ThisWorkbook module of your Personal.xls
workbook (or any other workbook that is normally always open).

Private WithEvents App As Excel.Application

Private Sub App_WindowActivate(ByVal Wb As Workbook, _
        ByVal Wn As Window)
    Wn.Caption = Wb.FullName
End Sub

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
    Set App = Application
End Sub

Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft Most Valuable Professional,
	Excel, 1998 - 2010
Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
www.cpearson.com

On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 21:22:04 -0700, "Joe User" <joeu2004> wrote:

>Is there a simple way to see the full path name (folder and file name) of an
>open workbook?
0
Chip

I cant see emails coming in anymore.
I used to push send/receive and a box would come up telling me 'Receiving 8 of 40 emails' with a green bar going across the centre. Once the emails are received the box goes. If I push send/receive nothing happens. If I push it say, 10 times, again nothing happens. Once all the emails are thru the box that used to come up, than flashes up 10 times, but by than its a little late. Does anyone know how to get the box back? I would really appreciate it... KR Mick. I send this message using the forward procedure to somebody of the group My problem is likely the same as a lot ...

two accounts, sender's name appeared wrong in outbox
I set up two account in outlook 2002(first use, before I use outlook express). Every thing goes well except sender's name appear wrong in outbox. For example, I set up two accounts A and B. Accordingly, sender name is A_sender and B-sender.A account is defult. sender name is A_sender when I send email by B accout. I don't know how to fix it. Any advice. "David_Ye" <David_Ye@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:744C1140-9C32-49EB-ADF8-6CA46E34091C@microsoft.com... >I set up two account in outlook 2002(first use, before I use outlook > ex...

VBA
Hi all! Fisrt of all, I want to thank you for your support :) My question is: How can I get the path of the current Excel file in VBA? thanks --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Sub CurrDir() Dim MyPath As String MyPath = CurDir MsgBox MyPath End Sub HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message----- >Hi all! > >Fisrt of all, I want to thank you for your support :) > >My question is: How can I get the path of the current Excel file in >VBA? > >thanks > > >--- >Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ > >. > Try so...

External Data wont refresh on a prtected and shared workbook...
I have a workbook that is used by multiple people over a network. In this workbook I added some data from a site that i wanted refreshed everytime the workbook is opened. I found out i can't protect the worksheet or protect and share the workbook and still have it refresh the data. Is there a way to protect/share the workbook (due to code inside the book) and still have the external web data refreshed upon the book opening ...

Not able to see all data but can see on another computer
Hi, I am using SAP application and if i retrive the excel file from SAP i can see only 48 lines where as i should see 110 lines but if i opened that same excel file in another computer then i can see all lines (110 Lines) i don't know why its happening. Can anyone help on this? Thanks in advance. Regards, Harish ...

Query to Access : does'nt see tables
Office 2000 SP3 FR From Excel / MS Query, I want to read data in Access tables. I choose the mdb file and so MS Query displays this error message (translated) : "This data source does'nt have any visible table". Original in French : "Cette source de donn´┐Żes ne contient aucune table visible." I transfert my data to a new mdb file : it work's few times (!), then the error message appears again. How to resolve this problem ? Jacques. Gotcha ! MS Query does'nt accept a file name with 2 dot inside ! Example : MyFile.mdb --> Ok My.File.mdb --> "...

how to delete the same columns across a workbook
how to delete the same columns across a workbook Hi, Hold down the CTRL key and click each sheet tab to group them. On the visible sheet delete the column abd it will be deleted on all grouped sheets. Click a sheet tab to un-group sheets. Mike On 5 Jan, 19:39, RPM <R...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > how to delete the same columns across a workbook ...

How to see my mail queue?
Hi there, I have a Exchange 2000 running on Windows 2000 server. Could you please tell me how to monitor my emails in my mail queue? I can't find a location on the Windows to see the mail queue status. Thanks in advance, Ross To view the mail queues follow these steps: 1. Open system manager, Navigate down to the following location Your organization --> Administrative groups --> Your Admin group --> Servers --> Your Server --> Protocols --> SMTP --> SMTP virtual server --> Queues You should then see all the smtp queues and monitor mail. thanks, J. ...

Sorting names from a list
I want to highlight all names in a particular column, say column A starting with an alphabet value, say t, placed in a cell in anothe column, say B2. So, names are listed in column A, B2 contains t. I wil like to color all cells in column A that contain names strating with t I would actually prefer to create a macro. Any help will be mos welcome. Thanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi rkumar, Can't help you with a macro but this is very easily done with conditional formatting. Select the range to apply this to. Select Conditional Formatting Formula Is =LEFT(A1,1)...

Copying Named Ranges in Chart Series
I have a workbook with a tab that has charts and data. Because the number of data points can vary month to month, I have set up the chart to reference named ranges. The named ranges are columns that vary in length, defined by language like this: "yvals"=3DOFFSET('MainSheet'!$B$2,0,0,COUNTIF('MainSheet'!$B$2:$B $20,">0"),1) "xvals"=3DOFFSET('MainSheet'!$A$2,0,0,COUNTA('MainSheet'!$A$2:$A$20),1) The X and Y series use the named ranges. If I add or remove data the chart range automatically changes accordingly. These na...

The recipient name is not recongnized
Trying to send out via internet mail. Exchange for local mail. When sending attachments I get error saying recipient name not recognized MTS-IS Exchange....When sending regulare mail it works fine. When sending attachments via Outlook 2000 it works fine. Any ideas? Not sure if it relates to your problem, but note that using Exchange & Internet mail in the same profile in Outlook 2000 and prior versions is not supported and can lead to all kinds of annoyances. Your Outlook is trying to send Internet out via Exchange, it sounds like....what's your default mail service?You can up...

Duplicate Record Name (when attempting to add a Team)
Greetings CRMers, I've got a new installation of CRM that I'm trying to learn to customize. At some point I had a team or queue that was called Field Support, and deleted it, but now I can't use the name any more and I don't know where to look to remove said name. Ideas... advice? Thanks in Advance, Fred ...

Extract First Name From String
How can I extract the First Name only from the String Below? I only want to pick up 'Veronica' I can get the Last Name by using CHARINDEX(',',[Patient Name])-1 [Patient Name] = LUNA,VERONICA E -- Brian Conner Message posted via SQLMonster.com http://www.sqlmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/sql-server-programming/200912/1 Brian SELECT LEFT(@Value, CHARINDEX(',', @Value)-1), "Brian Conner via SQLMonster.com" <u47161@uwe> wrote in message news:a0558fa5b6081@uwe... > How can I extract the First Name only from the String Be...

I see you
Well, not really, but I used Google Earth to zoom in on the Flatiron Building. You can get so close you can see the utilities on the roof, the hydrants on the street, the little parkish area across 5th Avenue, etc etc. Cool! Now tell me where your office is (like where is Peter's window, what floor and facing what street). Google Earth lets you zoom in all directions so I'll be able to turn the map to see that window. Silly I know but still a connection on some level. Pats looked good but not great last night. I didn't watch much more of the game. I'm not sold on ...

To See or Not To See
I have copied a few tables of text from a web page into Excel. Some of the information contain word that are hyperlinks or email addresses. Is there a way to change those columns of information to reveal the web address or email address? Thanks So is it just displaying plaintext currently? Have you seen this information from the Help Menu? When you make changes to the Hyperlink and Followed Hyperlink styles, your changes apply to all hyperlinks (hyperlink: Colored and underlined text or a graphic that you click to go to a file, a location in a file, a Web page on the World Wide Web...

Name Tags
Hello, I would like to design and print name tags that have a small graphic. Any help would be appreciated. ...

How to get application handle name (show in tilte bar) from *.exe?
Q: When u open any application, then in tilte bar it show the handle name i need Example Program Input Output ---------------- -------- Notepad.exe - Notepad WinWord.exe - Microsoft Word WordPad.exe - WordPad i need,it should be work for any *.exe To specify the application name, you need either pass the desired name to CWinApp constructor: CYourApp::CYourApp() : CWinApp("name") { } or if not specified, to the resource string with the ID of AFX_IDS_APP_TITLE. If the application name is not found in the resourc...

E12 unable to see storage groups through EX MMC
We've been running E12 in a test environment for about 1 month and just today ran into a situation where the storage groups for a server are no longer visible from the console on that machine. If we view the server from a console on a different EX server we see all storage groups and stores. Any help is greatly appreciated Thanks can you list the storage groups and stores from the shell (EMS) on that server? did you try restarting EMC? -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange www.zenprise.com NEW blog location: www.exchangepedia.com/blog ---------------------------------------------- &quo...

Outlook will not open #5
Problem has not happened before. I don't get an error message or anything. It just does nothing. Can anyone help? Thanks. ...

Holding a file open in FTP?
We have a user who wants to share an editable spreadsheet on their web server (IIS5) with others over the internet. So we placed a spreadsheet file in the FTP directory, established FTP accounts for the users, and they can open the spreadsheet by opening the FQDN (ftp://domain.com/file.xls) The problem is that when they open the file this way, the file is locked only for the duration of the FTP data transfer to the client, after which it is freed. A second person can come along and open, change, and save the file while the first one has it open (on their remote machine) and making changes. ...

Name Badges with Graphics
I am trying to create a mail merge in Publisher 2003 that will contain the same graphic for each badge. My data source is a word table. I don't understand how to connect the graphic to the mail merge. Thanks in advance for your help. Help here: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/publisher/CH062524751033.aspx Do you have Excel or Access? -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "L. Roper" <LRoper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:99ED9F25-AE38-4830-ABEA-23170D825AC9@microsoft.com... >...

Nice seeing all of you hopefully I see you in the other forum
really I just wanted to get the last post in prior to it closing today :) ...

Opening Excel Attachement Using VBA
Hi I am creating a system that will email a list if people an Excel spreadsheet as an attachment which is personalised to them. The recipient then fills in some data and emails the attachement back to a set email address. At set intervals my system will scan the Exchange folder for new emails. I need to be able to open the attachement and capture the data into an Access database. Most of this I am OK with. The bit I am unsure about is 1. How can I make sure the attachment is an Excel spreadsheet before I try and open it using VBA code? 2. How do I then open the file using VBA? Can anybody pr...

Full Name in Workbook Title Bar
I put the following in the Workbook_Open sub of a workbook. ActiveWindow.Caption = ActiveWorkbook.FullName It works just fine for that workbook but I really want it to work for any workbook I open so I tried putting it in the Workbook_open sub of Personal.xls. I got an error message saying something like "block variable not set." What can I do to make the full path name appear for any open workbook with an entry in Personal.xls? Thank you. When you have it in your workbook_open event of a specific workbook, then that event will apply to that workbook. You'll want to...

Can I see My Calendar as others see it
Can I view my calendar as if I am viewing it by someone with whom I share? no. Your permission levels are greater. Why do you want to be able to? -- Regards Judy Gleeson MVP Outlook in Canberra, Australia .. "laurelpowellcochrane" <laurelpowellcochrane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:46AD6AD8-5B97-4D06-9F73-2D212B626E05@microsoft.com... > Can I view my calendar as if I am viewing it by someone with whom I share? ...