how to save fixed format text file

I have an Excel file which is 269 characters wide.  I need
to save this file in fixed format but experience line wrap
when using the PRN file type.

Anyone have an answer to my problem?

You might have to use a macro to get the result you want.  See if Chip
Pearson's text export macro does it:

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/imptext.htm

--
Jim Rech
Excel MVP

0
jrrech (1933)
12/12/2003 6:24:30 PM
You have a few choices (try against a copy of your worksheet):

I'd either concatenate the cell values into another column:

=LEFT(A1&REPT(" ",20),20) & LEFT(B1&REPT(" ",10),10) & TEXT(C1,"000,000.00")

Then I'd copy and paste to notepad and save from there.  Once I figured out that
ugly formula, I kept it and just unhide that column when I wanted to export the
data.

If that doesn't work for you, maybe you could do it with a macro.

Here's a link that provides a macro:
http://google.com/groups?threadm=015b01c32c5f%24b3d398d0%24a501280a%40phx.gbl

"Don K." wrote:

> I have an Excel file which is 269 characters wide.  I need
> to save this file in fixed format but experience line wrap
> when using the PRN file type.
>
> Anyone have an answer to my problem?

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

Email address format with a twist
Exchange 2003 SP2. We currently have email addresses in the form of jdoe@domain.com. We would like to add an additional address of john.doe@domain.com and set it to be the primary address. All new accounts would then follow this new format. I know I can edit the recipient policy for the default domain to be %g.%s@domain.com. However, and here's the twist: we receive a daily .csv file from HR that has all employees Given Name, Preferred Name, Last Name, etc. We then programmitcally sync this with AD whereby Given Name goes into the First Name field, Last Name goes into the L...

SSRS 2008 format on separate lines
In a sql server report 2008, I want a report to show subcategory values as a grouping, but I want not certain how to set it up. The value for state will show up on its own line. The rest of the values under the state, with appear on separate lines, The report would look something like the following: state, record type, status category, sector Nebraksa 15 cat2 ,NE 28 cator5 ,SW 63 statusgo ,N1 Iowa 16 statcat ,DE 28 statblue ,N...

Conditional Formatting based on month name
I have a sheet where C2 contains the typed text of a month, i.e. February. Range C4:D14 contains actual dates spanning several months. I would like to highlight the cells that contain the month in C2. I've floundered around for several hours without a solution. Any help? P.S. I need C2 to remain text so it won't change until I change it. -- David Try: Select C4:D14 Click Format > Conditional Formatting Under Condition 1, make the settings as: Formula Is| =AND(TEXT(C4,"mmmm")=$C$2,C4<>"") Click Format button > Patterns tab > Light brown? >...

Unable to save password in Outlook 2003

chart fixed as default
I know about using "Format Chart Area" -> "Don't move or size with cells" to make my charts stay fixed. How do I make this the default behavior? Thanks, Ajit ...

Format a cell to keep leading zeros.
I often deal with account numbers with leading zeros. When I place them in a cell Excel automatically deletes the leading zeros. Is there a way to format the cell to hold the zeros? Use a custom number format of 000000 or as many zero as you need. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "Shadyhosta" <Shadyhosta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E235622A-98EC-46FB-AFA1-89A8790895C0@microsoft.com... >I often deal with account numbers with leading zeros. When I >place them in a > cell ...

Save and save as

Text box in the Bar chart
I have inserted text box in the Bar chart. not able to format the text inside the text box... any guidance please.......its bit urgent You can control the box by right clicking and choosing "Properties." I don't think you can change the text settings - or if there is a way, I haven't found it. - Andrew Lavinsky Blog: http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/epm > I have inserted text box in the Bar chart. not able to format the text > inside the text box... > any guidance please.......its bit urgent mukund.y -- Select the text inside the text b...

Saving Images

"Unattainable" savings goals

Saving default tabs

PST file import to windows mail
I have chage my PC and I cannot import the PST outlook file in to my new windows Mail so far A error message appaer when I try to import a outlook message. Is someone have an idea regarding this issue Thanks Philippe You need outlook installed and configured on the Vista PC before you can import There is a workaround, assuming the old pc with outlook on is still available. You export your mail to outlook express, then copy the outlook express msg store to the Vista PC, then Mail can import it. Or you download the Office trial, with outlook, connect your pst as default to outlook, ...

Save to unProtect a Document?

why I can't declaring a CArray object in a separate header file?
Hello I have no problem declaring a CArray variable inside a class definition but as I have a separate file that I place all my typedefs inside it, I have tried to define a struct that has a CArray member but compiler says: Error 1 error C2248: 'CObject::CObject' : cannot access private member declared in class 'CObject' c:\program files\microsoft visual studio 8\vc\atlmfc\include\afxtempl.h 272 this was my code inside TypeDefs.H typedef struct tag_compliance_info { LONG lModuleCode; LONG lModuleVersion; CString sModuleName; CArray<POINT> aCompliance; } STRUCT_COM...

Row Formatting #3
Hi All, How can I format a complete row or range automatically, depending on Cell value or comparison between 2 values at different cells. ? Conditional formating is doing this just for one cell only and depending on the value of this cell. Any solution. -- ********* IT Manager DeLaval Ltd. Cairo-Egypt ********* |-----------------------------| |Islam is peace not Terror| |-----------------------------| Hi conditional formating can do this as well: - select the row (e.g. row 1) - goto Conditional Format dialog - enter the following formula =$A1>1 - choose your format This will for...

How to show multi-line text on a tooltip(CToolTipCtrl)?
Thanks! You can use SetMaxTipWidth and then use \r\n to break lines. --- Ajay Thanks a lot! I used SetMaxTipWidth( 1024 * 8 ) to support this feature successfully. But there is not any official documents from MS I can find to introduce that SetMaxTipWidth can produce this effect. So maybe I wanna do more test on different Window OSes. Thanks again! "Ajay Kalra" <ajaykalra@yahoo.com> news:1160827675.832962.264430@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... > You can use SetMaxTipWidth and then use \r\n to break lines. > --- > Ajay > You could try this control that Dun...

merge catalog -numbers format
I am trying to merge a database that includes numbers with currency format or percentages. Is there any trick to bring the same format to publisher? Thanks Gene Format the field as text... -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Gene" <Gene@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6B746AA0-CB95-4051-BB4B-CF7307D1AA21@microsoft.com... >I am trying to merge a database that includes numbers with currency format or > percentages. Is there any trick to bring the same format to publisher? > >...

Save csv format to dbf format

Adding text to a form
I tried to find an answer today but I could not I wan't to insert a stic help text in the accounts form. I do not want to use popups I jest want to put a text in the bottom of the form How do I do this? I had the same problem - I ended up creating a section to use that as my static text. You would think there would be a better solution that that, but I could not find any. "stella7113" wrote: > I tried to find an answer today but I could not > > > > I wan't to insert a stic help text in the accounts form. I do not want > to use popups I jest want...

Daylight Savings Time #2