How to remove password protect to open Excel 2007 workbook

When I click on REVIEW and look at CHANGES, there is no "Unprotect" showing.
It says it should be there if it is protected.  I tried saving under a new
name and it also required the password to open.  I know the password but it
no longer needs to be protected.  How can I get rid of this?  Any ideas?
--
JoWrobs

did you try:

save as
tools button
general options

--

Gary Keramidas
Excel 2003

"JoWrobs" <JoWrobs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I click on REVIEW and look at CHANGES, there is no "Unprotect"
> showing.
> It says it should be there if it is protected.  I tried saving under a new
> name and it also required the password to open.  I know the password but
> it
> no longer needs to be protected.  How can I get rid of this?  Any ideas?
> --
> JoWrobs

0
Gary
2/4/2010 10:13:53 PM
Which version of Excel do you have?

"JoWrobs" wrote:

> When I click on REVIEW and look at CHANGES, there is no "Unprotect" showing.
> It says it should be there if it is protected.  I tried saving under a new
> name and it also required the password to open.  I know the password but it
> no longer needs to be protected.  How can I get rid of this?  Any ideas?
> --
> JoWrobs
You're looking in the wrong place.

Button>Save As>Tools>General Options.

Clear out passwords and save the workbook.

Information on Excel protection features.............

Excel has three levels of protection.........four if you count VBAProject
protection.

1.  File to open protection which requires a password to open the workbook
and allows any and all functions once opened.

Can be made read-only so's no changes can be saved.

2.  Workbook protection which allows no changes to workbook structure or
windows.

Disables unhiding hidden sheets or renaming sheets among other features.

3.  Worksheet protection which allows no changes made to the cells on a
worksheet.

Some cells can be unlocked while others are locked for editng.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 4 Feb 2010 14:08:09 -0800, JoWrobs
<JoWrobs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>When I click on REVIEW and look at CHANGES, there is no "Unprotect" showing.
>It says it should be there if it is protected.  I tried saving under a new
>name and it also required the password to open.  I know the password but it
>no longer needs to be protected.  How can I get rid of this?  Any ideas?

0
Gord

an excellent time waster
Open a new blank workbook, go to the VBA immediate window and type cells = 1. This will fill every cell in sheet1 with a number 1. Save the file as number1.xls and close the file. Open another new blank workbook, go to the VBA immediate window and type cells = "a". This will fill every cell in sheet1 with a letter a. Save the file as lettera.xls and close the file. Now bring up the windows explorer and look at the size of both files. Why is the file with the letter "a" bigger than the file with the number 1? I thought a number takes up more bytes than a single lette...

cannot open microsoft office
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I cannot open any Microsoft applications since i have upgraded to os x 10.6 and i have a ton of school projects due soon please help?? You don't say enough to help. What is the error message? How are you trying to open the apps? Is your copy of Office fully up to date? --rms www.rmschneider.com On 12/04/10 15:55, marvism331@officeformac.com wrote: > Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: > Intel I cannot open any Microsoft applications since i ...

Remove Excel Icon ??

Excel Options
How do you disable the rounding feature in excel (e.g. - I want to display 10/6, and not 5/3 as excel would display)? One way: Format/Cells/Number/Custom ?/6 In article <B77FDD23-4A2D-430D-8375-34F9944CCAAC@microsoft.com>, "todd" <todd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > How do you disable the rounding feature in excel (e.g. - I want to display > 10/6, and not 5/3 as excel would display)? text format Thanks for the help. Let me take this question one step further. I want to create a bar graph that displays the fractional value taken from a table...

Shared Workbooks???
I have several questions concerning shared workbooks in Excel XP and I am hoping that someone will be able to assist me. The questions are below. 1. Concerning shared workbooks, what is the difference between Save vs. Save As? How are multi-user edits affected? 2. Why does User B receives an error message stating that the shared workbook is locked by User A when User A is no longer in the shared workbook. In addition, when the share workbook dialog box is viewed, User A's name appears twice in the "who has this workbook open now field". 3 Is it possible to lock c...

.prn Files to Excel
Hello, I work in a system that displays data in spreadsheet format (display only, not editable). The system does not allow you to copy to the clipboard. I would like to put this data into excel to manipulate. The only way I can see is to print to a file (*.prn). Is there a way to open or use this file format in excel along the lines of a CSV or TXT file. If I try and open it with Excel the page comes up with squares and symbols everywhere. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Ray Ray, As far as I know, you can't open a prn file in Excel and get any meaningful data. -- Co...

Removal

DPM 2010 RC - Exchange 2007
Hi, We are protecting a exchange 2007 server, DPM is all green. When I go to restore, I cant drill down to mailbox only to the database? Could someone advise? Thanks Dave Have you protected the exchange server using workgroup/un-trusted domain flow? If so, mailbox enumeration is not supported when an exchange server is protected using this flow. Thanks, Praveen D [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights "DRLJAMES" <DRLJAMES@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FBEC7CDA-AAE0-48CE-A6F7...

Going from 32 bit to 64 bit- Office 2007 Professional not cooperat
Have Office 2007 disc from collage where I teach (legal with license and all). All fine of 32 bit HP. Loaded on brand new Acer running Windows 7 64 bit. Loaded Office Pro 2007, loaded and accepted key, all info transfered, but when try to open any app (Outlook, Word, etc.) pop-up says I must register, do I want to use on line or phone. When I choose online, another pop-up says can't comminicate, try in a few minutes. (internet works just fine). If try to select use phone, window goes away, no phone number, and most features are locked out. Collage IT says nothing wrong ...

autofilled on excel
How do you get autofill to work. I'm following the directions and nothing is happening!!! Hi Susan, What is in the initial cell< and are you filling down or across? Regards - Dave. Oops, ignore the < thingie. ...

Email account invalid password?
I've just set up a mail account in Outlook 2003 (pop3) and the test account button works fine, however after a while whenever outlook auto sends and recieves it pops up the user/pass box for that account and keeps doing so after i've entered the correct user and pass. However if i go back to test account settings in the account setup options, that works fine and send and recieve works again for a while. and ideas whats wrong? cheers, -ciaron ...

Keep find box open while in spreadsheet
Hi... I was wondering how I can keep my find box open while I am entering and editing data in my spreadsheet. It is very frustrating to have to continually select the find option, type in what I want to find, close the window, do any changes or calcs, and then reopen to find the next. I am using Excel 2000. HELP!!!!! "Frantic Excel-er" <Frantic Excel-er@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4DE2687C-BCDF-414A-979F-DE76F058B183@microsoft.com... > Hi... > I was wondering how I can keep my find box open while I am entering and > editing data in my spre...

Access 2007 Filter & Labels
I have Access 2007. I set up a database with names & addresses. I turn on a filter to limit the amount of data that I want to print. I used the label wizard and came up with a label report that prints fine. I save every thing and close Access 2007. The problem is when I bring up my database again, and I look at my label report, there are labels for all of the records in the database. I have noticed that the filter has been turned off. Even when I turn the filter on again, my lable report shows all of the records in the database. To get my correct labels to print I have to go...

Excel 2002
Hello. I am having problems filtering out phone numbers starting with 230745* in a column. I can filter out text but not numbers. Any ideas? If the entries truly are numbers, and assuming they are 10 digit numbers, then you need to use one criteria of >=2307450000 and another of <=2307459999 "Mike Faulkner" wrote: > Hello. I am having problems filtering out phone numbers starting with 230745* > in a column. I can filter out text but not numbers. Any ideas? I found this solution: Autofilter doesn't work with digits as if they were other characters (e.g. l...

import Windows Mail files to Outlook 2007
I just upgraded from Vista to Win 7, and since Win 7 doesn't support Mail, I need to import my old mail files to Outlook. Sounds simple enough, but I have a couple issues -- I have several user accounts on the computer, and for 2 of the accounts I had Windows Mail configured to point to the same folder locations (under the "Public" folders) so that we could share e-mail. So, the active mail account was not under either of our own user accounts; and we shared access. Now, when I try to import the files into Outlook (and I can't export from Mail, since it...

Outlook freezes after opening Microsoft CRM
I have Outlook 2003. If I try to open Microsoft CRM from Outlook by going to Personal Folders and typing the url for CRM in the address bar, it opens CRM, but my Outlook freezes and I need to restart Outlook. Is there a fix for that or it is a problem with outlook? ...

Remove lines with +++

when I open pubisher my photos do not appear on screen
I'm putting a newsletter together. Sometimes when I open the document in microsoft publisher the photos I pasted in do not appear on screen but they are there are will print. I need to see them as I work on the document. Help! Ron Aaron San Antonio, Texas aaron@winston-sa.org Help here, read the third FAQ http://ed.mvps.org/Static.aspx?=Publisher/FAQs -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033.aspx "ronnie" <ronnie@discussions.microsoft.com> wr...

Excel "forgetting" its add-ins
There is nothing more annoying than having to reinstall the stupid Solver or other add-ins (such as regression) after not using them for a while! I teach the same class every Spring and every late January or early February I need to check a homework problem on my laptop here and there. And every year, the same damn story, I have to insert some stupid disk, which I don't have with me on a trip. I specifically remember doing THE COMPLETE INSTALLATION of the stupid Office software on my machine precisely to avoid this problem, because this incredible annoyance and frustrat...

3 hole punched paper and excel spreadsheets
Help! Excel non-user needs to know how to set up spread sheets to shift tables to print on 3 hole punced paper. Our Excel guru is out having a baby! Can You help? Running Excel 2002. Thanks, Carl *** Sent via http://www.automationtools.com *** Add a newsgroup interface to your website today. On the print preview. Click the margins button. At the top border, there are small black tabs (margin tabs). If you drag the margin tabs over slightly, you may be able to get everything you want on the page. If it doesn't work exit the workbook but don't save the changes. Anywho, make a back...

How to create a shortcut in Excel?
How to create a shortcut in Excel? Hi Vova To a macro? To a sheet? A shortcut on the desktop to a file? Post back with more info and someone can help you -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2000-2003) www.rondebruin.nl "Vova" <vcapko@gng.com.ua> wrote in message news:04c701c3cbbe$cc6a9e30$a501280a@phx.gbl... > How to create a shortcut in Excel? Vova wrote: > How to create a shortcut in Excel? One way (Excel 97): Insert >> Hyperlink ...

How to Remove SRS

Opening Outlook causes open Word
Hello Folks!! I have a user that he opens Outlook 2003 and this action cause that Microsoft Word's Windows open without reason. Could somebody help me, please? Thanks in advance!! is he using word as his editor? Does he have any addins for word? When outlook loads word to use it as the editor, the addin could be trying to load and cause word to open completely. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Outlook Tips by email: dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlookt...

Update two workbooks at the same time, but not all the time.
Hi Folks, I have set up 2 workbooks. One is for RMA's and the other is an evaluation form for returned equipment. When I fill out the RMA form certain feilds are filled out on the eval form at the same time, however I only need to do this when equipment is being returned for evaluation. We get part returned for various reasons, but not for eval. So I need to be able to turn these functions on and off when necessary so I don't create an eval form for a non-eval part. Can anyone help??? -- John.. ...