how to put constraints in excel

You need to be more specific in your question.  Perhaps Data
Validation, on the Data menu, will do what you want. This will
allow users to enter only values in a range of numbers in a cell.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"structures" <structures@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
> how to put constraints in excel

0
chip1 (1821)

Excel Toolbars
I have a user who only after being migrated to active directory cannot save his toolbars in Excel. Any ideas? ...

Excel Search Inquiry
I have been struggling with this question for the last few weeks, and finally have resorted to asking for help. I am trying to get a search field so that when i type out an item in a list that the resulting title respond as illustrated in the image below. If anyone can offer some assistance, it would be greatly appreciated. http://www.redlightcreations.com/shared/excelsearch.JPG -- Kenrossco ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Kenrossco's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=29484 View this thread: http://www.exce...

Problem exporting with long strings to Excel using getrows and an array
Hi Using Access and Excel XP I have a generic function which I use to dump a recordset into Excel and apply a little formating etc. This has worked for years without issue. On my development machine (which is isolated and does not have the latest service packs applied - naughty I know) I have successfully dumped recordsets containing strings as long as 1500 characters (I haven't bothered trying to test for a limit as it works fine for what we handle). On the user machines (which are connected to the internet and have all the latest service packs etc. automatically installed) if th...

PUTTING NUMBERS IN A CELL
I AM TRYING TO ENTER A NUMBER THAT BEGINS WITH ZERO'S AFTER I ENTER IT THE ZERO'S DISAPPEAR, HOW DO I KEEP THEM IN Please turn off the CAPS Lock, more than two lines would be extremely difficult to read. Reading caps is annoying. Format the column as text, if the leading zero is important to you then it is an identification not a number. The default alignment for text is left aligned which is also better for most identification "numbers". Credit card numbers are 16 digits, are identification and can not be entered as numbers, ever, because Excel only retains 15 si...

Excel on the Web #2
I need to put an excel file out on the web. After saving it in the HTML format what would be my next step. Thanks Frank ...

MySQL ODBC to Excel
Afternoon all, Having searched seemingly everywhere i think i can guess the answer i am going to get - but here goes... Using the MySQL ODBC client I can pull data from my database into Excel. Is it then possible for me to directly edit this data from Excel into the database - this is "possible" from within Access. Thanks Richard On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 08:40:31 -0800 (PST), rjre <rjredwards@googlemail.com> wrote: >Having searched seemingly everywhere i think i can guess the answer i >am going to get - but here goes... > >Using the MySQL ODBC client I can pull dat...

Shared Spread sheet(Excel 97)
Some users have reported Excel locking up when they open a specific spread sheet, and others have no problem. If anyone has any ideas it would be appreciated Thank ...

EXCEL 2002 #3
CAN'T OPEN FILES IN SUBFOLDER - ERROR MESSAGE 1. CAN'T FILE FILE 2. DDE ERROR WHEN WORKSHEET MOVED OUT OF FILE TO ANOTHER FOLDER IT CAN BE OPENED. OR IF MOVED TO DISK IT CAN BE OPENED ANY SUGGESTIONS? Sometimes one of these works: Close Excel and Windows Start Button|Run excel /unregserver then Windows Start Button|Run excel /regserver The /unregserver & /regserver stuff resets the windows registry to excel's factory defaults. An alternative might be to do: Try Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it) "J. SMITH" wrote: > > ...

Can you put white space outside a textbox?
When I put pictures in my publisher file, sometimes I want captions for the pictures. So I make a tiny textbox that I put under the picture, and type in a caption into that textbox. The problem is that I can make the picture have some space to left and right of it so that text doesn't crowd into the picture, but I can't do that with the textbox containing the caption. Is there any way to prevent outside text from crowding the borders of a textbox? You can move that textbox wherever you need. You don't need to leave space inside when you can steer clear of the textbox itself. ...

Calendar in Excel
Can someone help me with a calendar to use in Excel that can be formatted so as to show special dates, current holidays, etc. WARNING: I need explicit instructions. This sort of stuff is not intuitive to me. Thanks, Dot ...

Where to put SQL statements in VC++ Application
I am wondering if putting all my SQL statements in the string table is a good idea. Is there a better place to store these statements?? Thanks in advance for any responses. Dominic Inline in the code, they arnt particually helpful to put in the string table. -- - Mark Randall http://zetech.swehli.com "Those people that think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do" Isaac Asimov <dominicgualtieri@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1129050897.519688.176820@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... >I am wondering if putting all my SQL statements in...

Excel Problems
I hope you can help with a problem with a spreadsheet caused by compatibility between word & excel I had a multi-page spreadsheet which I opened via Word by mistake - some of the data is now missing in word Now I can't open the spreadsheet other than in Word although it is still a.xls file Opening in Excel you get "file format is not valid" error message. It will open in Word but not all the data is there. Can I recover this file? I don't think you can - maybe someone else can prove me wrong, but I think you need to be looking for a backup copy if you can find o...

Join based on next closest value (like Excel VLOOKUP)
Trying to do something similar to a VLOOKUP (Excel) in an Access 2003 query. I have the following tables: JOBS Job,Quantity A,96 B,256 C,300 D,4299 COSTS Quantity,Cost 0, $1000 100, $1200 200, $1500 300, $2000 400, $2500 500, $3000 I need a query that takes JOBS.Quantity, looks it up in COSTS.Quantity and find the cost for the NEXT LOWEST quantity. (Example: Job B has a quantity of 256 and the next LOWEST quantity from COSTS is 200 so Job B costs $1500.) The results should be as follows: JOBS.Job,COSTS.Cost A,$1000 B,$1500 C,$2000 D,$3000 This would be ...

Template Wizard and Excel versions
I hope I posted this in the correct place... I created a form with Template Wizard using Excel 2000; whenever you change certain pieces of data in this worksheet, it automatically adds a record to another worksheet saved elsewhere. I have gotten it to work on my computer (which uses Excel 2000); when I save the template to the appropriate place on my boss's computer (using the network), and use my computer to run it, it also works correctly. However, when I try to use the template with my boss's Excel 97, it doesn't update the database worksheet at all. (I just tried i...

Excel Version
Is there any way to find out what version of Excel a spreadsheet was originally created with? see if this helps. Otherwise, probably not. Sub whatversion() msgbox ActiveWorkbook.FileFormat End Sub -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "1 of 1" <the.cube@deep.space.inv> wrote in message news:O9dnkCNUGHA.4492@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Is there any way to find out what version of Excel a spreadsheet was > originally created with? > It corresponds to the xl constant: xlWorkbookNormal So it doesn't help too much. 1 of 1 wrote: > ...

Finding y-values in budget curve app with Excel & VBA
I've been seeking a solution to finish a development project for a client. The project involves dispersing a total amount for a time-phased budget. The user inputs the following: - Total_Budget_Amount (total dollars for the whole budget term) - Number_of_Periods (the number of months for the budget term) - Percent_Budget_Spent (the percent of the total budget spent at Percent_Periods_Passed) - Percent_Periods_Passed (the percent of periods that have passed where the sum of all expenditures for the previously completed periods equals the Percent_Budget_Spent * Total_Budget_Amount) .... Pe...

screenupdating off when excel launched via double-click of file
When I double-click an Excel file, Excel is launched but with screenupdating off. All I see is a gray background under the menu bar. This happens for all Excel files, regardless of whether they have any macros. Does anybody know what causes this behavior? My workarounds: 1. Launch Excel first, then open the file. 2. Launch the VBA editor and set screenupdating to true. These work OK, but I'd really like to solve the problem. I'm running Windows XP sp2 and Excel 2002 sp3. -Jon Hi Jon I suspect an addin, either installed (Tools > Addin menu), "personal.xls" or someth...

How do you make superscripts and subscripts in Excel?
How do you make superscripts and subscripts in Excel? Look under format>cells>font Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Mona" wrote: > How do you make superscripts and subscripts in Excel? You may want to look at John Walkenbach's addin: http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/files/supersub.htm Mona wrote: > > How do you make superscripts and subscripts in Excel? -- Dave Peterson ...

Put app and icon in task bar?
I have an MFC application that I want to be able to put in the task bar as a small icon and have it pop up the dialog when selected from the task bar. This app is intended to be run from the start up menu and be minimized in the task bar along with all the other start items... Pointers on how to please... By default app goes on the task bar. Do you mean system tray (that by default appears on the bottom right of the screen)? -- Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++] ajaykalra@yahoo.com "ShipHead" <GoAway@SpamBoy.com> wrote in message news:#g1K8UgEFHA.2700@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > I...

How do I fit a line on an excel plot to a portion of the data?
I want a best fit line to go pass through the obviously linear portion of the data and ignore all other points, how do i do this? Hi, Trend lines are based on all the data points in a series. To get a trend line on a subset of data you will need to add a new series based on only that subset. Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "mechengstudent" <mechengstudent@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C01B83F0-FE90-4638-B63C-A0EB1DD27EAA@microsoft.com... >I want a best fit line to go pass through the obviously linear portion...

excel changes date
When I enter 3/1/10 enter a cell formatted number, date, 3/14/01, it changes it to 1/3/10. But if I enter 3/19/10 in the same cell it leaves it alone. It is only on one pc, if I open the same file from a different pc the date works fine. Any ideas. Thanks I can not really follow your question but XL inherits it's date entry from your computers regional settings. Take a look at Start | Control Panel | Regional and Language Settings To get your computers date settings. -- HTH... Jim Thomlinson "sue gray" wrote: > When I enter 3/1/10 ent...

Opening different Excel files in new windows
How can I make Excel open different files in completely new windows? Thats how it was working sometime back. Somehow, now everytime I open a new file, it opens in the same Excel window. Is there some setting in Options/Tools that would allow me to do this? Open the first file normally. For a second window open anothe application then the file. : -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Just a guess here. I had a similar problem when starting to use Windows XP. XP 'helpfully' lumped all my excel session under one taskbar list. To change it I had to adjust the setting in X...

outlook ka-put
After I installed the service pack updates for Microsoft XP, my Outlook has been uable to send or receive any email. I have gotten a few error messages: "unable to connect to network," "server found but did not respond." etc. What the heck do I do? ...

Excel 97 and Excel XP file
I am trying to open the workbook of an Excel XP file in Excel 97 but get the following message: "Project unviewable in Excel 97" "pcw" wrote > I am trying to open the workbook of an Excel XP file > in Excel 97 but get the following message: > > "Project unviewable in Excel 97" That makes sense. When they released Excel 97 they'd never even heard of Excel XP. You can be backward compatible but it's pretty hard to be forward compatible. Jordon Is it possible to then to save my Excel XP file in a lower version, for example, Excel 97/97...

Where to put error handler code for "No current record" error?
Hello, to brighten the essence of my current problem I woud like to describe the situation from scratch. I use Acess 2007. I have two tables 'tblOrders' and 'tblOrderDetails' linked as ODBC tables from MS SQL 2000 Server. Both tables have primary keys: 'tblOrders' has 'orderId' primary key and 'tblOrderDetails' has a pair 'orderId' and 'itemId' as primary key. On server there is also a foreign key constraint defined on key 'orderId' between both tables. In access I have a main form 'frmOrders' bounded to 'tblOr...