How to put a parameter into an Excel Query

I am creating an external data query in excel to reterive data from a SQL
database, one of the fields in the db is a date.  When I run the query I want
Excel to asked me for a date range for the data to return.

Can any one tell me what I have to enter into the MS Query Editor in the
query criteria area to bring up a window that asks for the start and end date
of the data that it will reterive?

Thanks in advance for any assistance

0
Richard853 (481)

This website will explain what you need to know:

http://www.rdg.ac.uk/ITS/info/training/notes/excel/query/

Does that help?

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP-Pro

"Richard" wrote:

> I am creating an external data query in excel to reterive data from a SQL
> database, one of the fields in the db is a date.  When I run the query I want
> Excel to asked me for a date range for the data to return.
>
> Can any one tell me what I have to enter into the MS Query Editor in the
> query criteria area to bring up a window that asks for the start and end date
> of the data that it will reterive?
>
> Thanks in advance for any assistance

MySQL ODBC to Excel
Afternoon all, Having searched seemingly everywhere i think i can guess the answer i am going to get - but here goes... Using the MySQL ODBC client I can pull data from my database into Excel. Is it then possible for me to directly edit this data from Excel into the database - this is "possible" from within Access. Thanks Richard On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 08:40:31 -0800 (PST), rjre <rjredwards@googlemail.com> wrote: >Having searched seemingly everywhere i think i can guess the answer i >am going to get - but here goes... > >Using the MySQL ODBC client I can pull dat...

Shared Spread sheet(Excel 97)
Some users have reported Excel locking up when they open a specific spread sheet, and others have no problem. If anyone has any ideas it would be appreciated Thank ...

Excel on the Web #2
I need to put an excel file out on the web. After saving it in the HTML format what would be my next step. Thanks Frank ...

PUTTING NUMBERS IN A CELL
I AM TRYING TO ENTER A NUMBER THAT BEGINS WITH ZERO'S AFTER I ENTER IT THE ZERO'S DISAPPEAR, HOW DO I KEEP THEM IN Please turn off the CAPS Lock, more than two lines would be extremely difficult to read. Reading caps is annoying. Format the column as text, if the leading zero is important to you then it is an identification not a number. The default alignment for text is left aligned which is also better for most identification "numbers". Credit card numbers are 16 digits, are identification and can not be entered as numbers, ever, because Excel only retains 15 si...

EXCEL 2002 #3
CAN'T OPEN FILES IN SUBFOLDER - ERROR MESSAGE 1. CAN'T FILE FILE 2. DDE ERROR WHEN WORKSHEET MOVED OUT OF FILE TO ANOTHER FOLDER IT CAN BE OPENED. OR IF MOVED TO DISK IT CAN BE OPENED ANY SUGGESTIONS? Sometimes one of these works: Close Excel and Windows Start Button|Run excel /unregserver then Windows Start Button|Run excel /regserver The /unregserver & /regserver stuff resets the windows registry to excel's factory defaults. An alternative might be to do: Try Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it) "J. SMITH" wrote: > > ...

Parameter Make Table Queries
I have an excel spreadsheet that establishes a link to an Access 2003 DB. I need to be able to run a pre-saved make-table query with 4 parameters that is stored in my DB, and then use excel to run a pre- saved crosstab query off of this table and a few other queries. The results of this crosstab will ultimately be pulled into Excel. I tried changing the make-table into a select and modifying the cross- tab, but because of the parameters and complexity of the cross-tab, it won't work. The first problem is: I "dummed" down my make-table query to eliminate all parameters. Upon ...

Can you put white space outside a textbox?
When I put pictures in my publisher file, sometimes I want captions for the pictures. So I make a tiny textbox that I put under the picture, and type in a caption into that textbox. The problem is that I can make the picture have some space to left and right of it so that text doesn't crowd into the picture, but I can't do that with the textbox containing the caption. Is there any way to prevent outside text from crowding the borders of a textbox? You can move that textbox wherever you need. You don't need to leave space inside when you can steer clear of the textbox itself. ...

Calendar in Excel
Can someone help me with a calendar to use in Excel that can be formatted so as to show special dates, current holidays, etc. WARNING: I need explicit instructions. This sort of stuff is not intuitive to me. Thanks, Dot ...

Where to put SQL statements in VC++ Application
I am wondering if putting all my SQL statements in the string table is a good idea. Is there a better place to store these statements?? Thanks in advance for any responses. Dominic Inline in the code, they arnt particually helpful to put in the string table. -- - Mark Randall http://zetech.swehli.com "Those people that think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do" Isaac Asimov <dominicgualtieri@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1129050897.519688.176820@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... >I am wondering if putting all my SQL statements in...

screenupdating off when excel launched via double-click of file
When I double-click an Excel file, Excel is launched but with screenupdating off. All I see is a gray background under the menu bar. This happens for all Excel files, regardless of whether they have any macros. Does anybody know what causes this behavior? My workarounds: 1. Launch Excel first, then open the file. 2. Launch the VBA editor and set screenupdating to true. These work OK, but I'd really like to solve the problem. I'm running Windows XP sp2 and Excel 2002 sp3. -Jon Hi Jon I suspect an addin, either installed (Tools > Addin menu), "personal.xls" or someth...

How do you make superscripts and subscripts in Excel?
How do you make superscripts and subscripts in Excel? Look under format>cells>font Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Mona" wrote: > How do you make superscripts and subscripts in Excel? You may want to look at John Walkenbach's addin: http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/files/supersub.htm Mona wrote: > > How do you make superscripts and subscripts in Excel? -- Dave Peterson ...

Put app and icon in task bar?
I have an MFC application that I want to be able to put in the task bar as a small icon and have it pop up the dialog when selected from the task bar. This app is intended to be run from the start up menu and be minimized in the task bar along with all the other start items... Pointers on how to please... By default app goes on the task bar. Do you mean system tray (that by default appears on the bottom right of the screen)? -- Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++] ajaykalra@yahoo.com "ShipHead" <GoAway@SpamBoy.com> wrote in message news:#g1K8UgEFHA.2700@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > I...

How do I fit a line on an excel plot to a portion of the data?
I want a best fit line to go pass through the obviously linear portion of the data and ignore all other points, how do i do this? Hi, Trend lines are based on all the data points in a series. To get a trend line on a subset of data you will need to add a new series based on only that subset. Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "mechengstudent" <mechengstudent@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C01B83F0-FE90-4638-B63C-A0EB1DD27EAA@microsoft.com... >I want a best fit line to go pass through the obviously linear portion...

excel changes date
When I enter 3/1/10 enter a cell formatted number, date, 3/14/01, it changes it to 1/3/10. But if I enter 3/19/10 in the same cell it leaves it alone. It is only on one pc, if I open the same file from a different pc the date works fine. Any ideas. Thanks I can not really follow your question but XL inherits it's date entry from your computers regional settings. Take a look at Start | Control Panel | Regional and Language Settings To get your computers date settings. -- HTH... Jim Thomlinson "sue gray" wrote: > When I enter 3/1/10 ent...

Opening different Excel files in new windows
How can I make Excel open different files in completely new windows? Thats how it was working sometime back. Somehow, now everytime I open a new file, it opens in the same Excel window. Is there some setting in Options/Tools that would allow me to do this? Open the first file normally. For a second window open anothe application then the file. : -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Just a guess here. I had a similar problem when starting to use Windows XP. XP 'helpfully' lumped all my excel session under one taskbar list. To change it I had to adjust the setting in X...

Excel 97 and Excel XP file
I am trying to open the workbook of an Excel XP file in Excel 97 but get the following message: "Project unviewable in Excel 97" "pcw" wrote > I am trying to open the workbook of an Excel XP file > in Excel 97 but get the following message: > > "Project unviewable in Excel 97" That makes sense. When they released Excel 97 they'd never even heard of Excel XP. You can be backward compatible but it's pretty hard to be forward compatible. Jordon Is it possible to then to save my Excel XP file in a lower version, for example, Excel 97/97...

outlook ka-put
After I installed the service pack updates for Microsoft XP, my Outlook has been uable to send or receive any email. I have gotten a few error messages: "unable to connect to network," "server found but did not respond." etc. What the heck do I do? ...

Union query changes Memo to Text (256 char limit)
Hi, I am using a Union query to join data from two different tables. The columns that are joined include Memo data types. The recordset after the union query truncates the Memo fields by quite a bit. I am guessing that the fields' Memo data type have been changed to Text data type. Is there any way to prevent this from happening? Thanks. baldwin.kevin@gmail.com wrote: >Hi, I am using a Union query to join data from two different tables. >The columns that are joined include Memo data types. The recordset >after the union query truncates the Memo fields by quite a bit. I am...

Chart axis in Excel
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I am trying to use a stacked column chart and I cannot figure out how to get the X axis to be years. I just get 1, 2, 3... Is there a way to edit the X axis units? ...

Where to put error handler code for "No current record" error?
Hello, to brighten the essence of my current problem I woud like to describe the situation from scratch. I use Acess 2007. I have two tables 'tblOrders' and 'tblOrderDetails' linked as ODBC tables from MS SQL 2000 Server. Both tables have primary keys: 'tblOrders' has 'orderId' primary key and 'tblOrderDetails' has a pair 'orderId' and 'itemId' as primary key. On server there is also a foreign key constraint defined on key 'orderId' between both tables. In access I have a main form 'frmOrders' bounded to 'tblOr...

Excel Import Into Access
I have some data that when exported from an application into Excel has some blank cells. I've noticed that when I try to paste this data from Excel into an Access table it deletes any rows that have blank cells in them even though other cells in that row do have data. Any thoughts on a work around forcing Access to accept blank cells? You can create a blank column on you data base, and on the excel file add a column with some comments on the rows like "Blankrows", the access data base will see this row as valid and will be copied into the tables,.. Thanks' ...

Excel 2000 #5
I have Office XP Home Version 2002 and the office package came with the PC - from Dell. I cannot open Excel - which has business files in there that I need to access asap for tax reasons!!!! Word, Access and Powerpoint are fine. I just can't open Excel. It is asking me for the installation CD - which I don't have.Wwhen I load it the message reads the following: MICROSOFT OFFICE 2000 SR-1 PREMIUM The feature you are trying to use is on a CD-ROM or other removable disk that is not available. Insert the Office 2000 SR-1 Premium Disk. - Then when I OK this message I get the follw...

to retrieve a particular value from excel sheet
PAYMENT RECEIPT BALANCE Branch pune 0.00 4,153,150.00 01/07/2007 1 6,899,650.00 01/07/2007 2 17,308,800.00 01/07/2007 3 17,308,800.00 BranchTotal 24,218,450.00 24,208,450.00 28,351,600.00 Branch kolkatta 0.00 4,153,150.00 03/07/2007 4 110,000.00 03/07/2007 5 85,000.00 03/07/2007 6 58,200.00 03/07/2007 7 283,750.00 03/07/2007 8 324,000.00 BranchTotal 24,218,450.00 24,208,450.00 4,143,150.00 For the above sheet i should 1.get the balance 4,143,150.00 of branch total of kolk...

How do I put it back?
In Microsoft money 2003. Used to: When I put on my paycheck I would have a window pop up with seperate catagories, "taxes", "healthcare", ect. there were four of them. Now when I put them in I just get one "spit catagories" window. I don't know how I changed it or how to change it back. I can't even find any support that can/ will help me. If anyone knows Please let me know. I will be greatly indeted to you. thank You. Derek "Derek" <Derek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D9D38C7E-D837-4376-99D3-79C760EC4F85@mic...

Excel outline and protection
How can I protect the formulars in my Excel sheet when the sheet is outlined and I want to keep the functionality of the outline? If I protect the sheet, I can not open or close a level in the outline. You can only enable outlines and have worksheet protection through a macro: With Worksheets("Sheet1") .EnableOutlining = True .Protect UserInterfaceOnly:=True End With The EnableOutlining property (and UserInterfaceOnly) is not saved with the workbook unfortunately, so this code would have to be run each time the workbook is open. -- Jim Rech Excel MVP ...