How to program an excel macro to repeat a series of keystrokes?

I want to program an Excel macro to set a columnar range, then perform the
keystroke series "F2, Home, =, Enter" repeatedly until the end of the range
is reached.  How do I teach the macro to automatically repeat the keystoke
series?  I am using XP, and Excel 2002 10.4.  Thanks for your help!!!

Hi there,

Look up Sendkeys in the visual basic editor help.

Hope that helps

Naz,
London

"Beancounter" wrote:

> I want to program an Excel macro to set a columnar range, then perform the
> keystroke series "F2, Home, =, Enter" repeatedly until the end of the range
> is reached.  How do I teach the macro to automatically repeat the keystoke
> series?  I am using XP, and Excel 2002 10.4.  Thanks for your help!!!
0
Naz (61)
1/22/2005 9:17:05 PM
Now I understand about Sendkeys and see how they could be useful in this
situation, but how/where do I record one and integrate it into my macro?

"Naz" wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Look up Sendkeys in the visual basic editor help.
>
> Hope that helps
>
> Naz,
> London
>
> "Beancounter" wrote:
>
> > I want to program an Excel macro to set a columnar range, then perform the
> > keystroke series "F2, Home, =, Enter" repeatedly until the end of the range
> > is reached.  How do I teach the macro to automatically repeat the keystoke
> > series?  I am using XP, and Excel 2002 10.4.  Thanks for your help!!!
Bean

Sounds like you are attempting to add an = sign to existing cell contents.

For what purpose?  To create a formula?  What is the data currently in the
cells?

Perhaps there is another way to do what you want.

I can think of a User Defined Function that evaluates cell contents depending
upon what is currently entered in the cells.

Or a macro that will add the = sign to all cells if that's all you want.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 13:09:03 -0800, "Beancounter"
<Beancounter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I want to program an Excel macro to set a columnar range, then perform the
>keystroke series "F2, Home, =, Enter" repeatedly until the end of the range
>is reached.  How do I teach the macro to automatically repeat the keystoke
>series?  I am using XP, and Excel 2002 10.4.  Thanks for your help!!!

0
Gord
1/22/2005 10:41:19 PM
Yes, I need to create a formula from the existing cell contents by simply
adding a = sign to the cell's current contents (over 12,000 cells in one
column).  I, too, thought a macro would work, but don't know how to program
it to repeat the keystroke series "F2, Home, =, Enter" in a columnar range.
Many thanks for your assistance.
-Bean

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

> Bean
>
> Sounds like you are attempting to add an = sign to existing cell contents.
>
> For what purpose?  To create a formula?  What is the data currently in the
> cells?
>
> Perhaps there is another way to do what you want.
>
> I can think of a User Defined Function that evaluates cell contents depending
> upon what is currently entered in the cells.
>
> Or a macro that will add the = sign to all cells if that's all you want.
>

> Gord Dibben Excel MVP
>
> On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 13:09:03 -0800, "Beancounter"
> <Beancounter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I want to program an Excel macro to set a columnar range, then perform the
> >keystroke series "F2, Home, =, Enter" repeatedly until the end of the range
> >is reached.  How do I teach the macro to automatically repeat the keystoke
> >series?  I am using XP, and Excel 2002 10.4.  Thanks for your help!!!

Don't use SendKeys. Instead, select the cells in question and run
the following macro:

Sub AAA()
Dim Rng As Range
For Each Rng In Selection.Cells
    Rng.Formula = "=" & Rng.Text
Next Rng
End Sub

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Beancounter" <Beancounter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
> Yes, I need to create a formula from the existing cell contents
> by simply
> adding a = sign to the cell's current contents (over 12,000
> cells in one
> column).  I, too, thought a macro would work, but don't know
> how to program
> it to repeat the keystroke series "F2, Home, =, Enter" in a
> columnar range.
> Many thanks for your assistance.
> -Bean
>
> "Gord Dibben" wrote:
>
>> Bean
>>
>> Sounds like you are attempting to add an = sign to existing
>> cell contents.
>>
>> For what purpose?  To create a formula?  What is the data
>> currently in the
>> cells?
>>
>> Perhaps there is another way to do what you want.
>>
>> I can think of a User Defined Function that evaluates cell
>> contents depending
>> upon what is currently entered in the cells.
>>
>> Or a macro that will add the = sign to all cells if that's all
>> you want.
>>

>> Gord Dibben Excel MVP
>>
>> On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 13:09:03 -0800, "Beancounter"
>> <Beancounter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I want to program an Excel macro to set a columnar range,
>> >then perform the
>> >keystroke series "F2, Home, =, Enter" repeatedly until the
>> >end of the range
>> >is reached.  How do I teach the macro to automatically repeat
>> >the keystoke
>> >series?  I am using XP, and Excel 2002 10.4.  Thanks for your
>> >help!!!

0
chip1 (1821)
1/22/2005 11:20:25 PM
Bean

Without seeing a sample of your data it is hard to tell whether or not your
formulas will work when you do get the = sign inserted.

If data is a text string like 2+3+5+(12+20)*10 then a UDF will work.

Function EvalCell(RefCell As String)
    Application.Volatile
    EvalCell = Evaluate(RefCell)
End Function

Copy the above function and paste into a General Module in your workbook.

Assume A1 has the above text string.

In B1 enter  =EvalCell(A1) to return 330

Double-click on fill handle of B1 to copy formula down until end of data in
column A.

To add an = sign(or any other text at left)to existing cells use this macro.

Sub Add_Text_Left()
Dim Cell As Range
Dim moretext As String
Dim thisrng As Range
    On Error GoTo endit
    Set thisrng = Range(ActiveCell.Address & "," & Selection.Address) _
            .SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants, xlTextValues)
    moretext = InputBox("Enter your Text")
    For Each Cell In thisrng
        Cell.Value = moretext & Cell.Value
    Next
    Exit Sub
endit:
    MsgBox "only formulas in range"
End Sub

Gord

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 15:05:01 -0800, "Beancounter"
<Beancounter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Yes, I need to create a formula from the existing cell contents by simply
>adding a = sign to the cell's current contents (over 12,000 cells in one
>column).  I, too, thought a macro would work, but don't know how to program
>it to repeat the keystroke series "F2, Home, =, Enter" in a columnar range.
>Many thanks for your assistance.
>-Bean
>
>"Gord Dibben" wrote:
>
>> Bean
>>
>> Sounds like you are attempting to add an = sign to existing cell contents.
>>
>> For what purpose?  To create a formula?  What is the data currently in the
>> cells?
>>
>> Perhaps there is another way to do what you want.
>>
>> I can think of a User Defined Function that evaluates cell contents depending
>> upon what is currently entered in the cells.
>>
>> Or a macro that will add the = sign to all cells if that's all you want.
>>

>> Gord Dibben Excel MVP
>>
>> On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 13:09:03 -0800, "Beancounter"
>> <Beancounter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I want to program an Excel macro to set a columnar range, then perform the
>> >keystroke series "F2, Home, =, Enter" repeatedly until the end of the range
>> >is reached.  How do I teach the macro to automatically repeat the keystoke
>> >series?  I am using XP, and Excel 2002 10.4.  Thanks for your help!!!

0
Gord
1/22/2005 11:28:08 PM
A million thanks to you, Chip.  This works beautifully, and is precisely what
I needed!
Your fan,
Beancounter

"Chip Pearson" wrote:

> Don't use SendKeys. Instead, select the cells in question and run
> the following macro:
>
> Sub AAA()
> Dim Rng As Range
> For Each Rng In Selection.Cells
>     Rng.Formula = "=" & Rng.Text
> Next Rng
> End Sub
>

> --
> Cordially,
> Chip Pearson
> Microsoft MVP - Excel
> Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
> www.cpearson.com
>

> "Beancounter" <Beancounter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message
> > Yes, I need to create a formula from the existing cell contents
> > by simply
> > adding a = sign to the cell's current contents (over 12,000
> > cells in one
> > column).  I, too, thought a macro would work, but don't know
> > how to program
> > it to repeat the keystroke series "F2, Home, =, Enter" in a
> > columnar range.
> > Many thanks for your assistance.
> > -Bean
> >
> > "Gord Dibben" wrote:
> >
> >> Bean
> >>
> >> Sounds like you are attempting to add an = sign to existing
> >> cell contents.
> >>
> >> For what purpose?  To create a formula?  What is the data
> >> currently in the
> >> cells?
> >>
> >> Perhaps there is another way to do what you want.
> >>
> >> I can think of a User Defined Function that evaluates cell
> >> contents depending
> >> upon what is currently entered in the cells.
> >>
> >> Or a macro that will add the = sign to all cells if that's all
> >> you want.
> >>

> >> Gord Dibben Excel MVP

Gord,
Thank you for your assistance.  Chip Pearson sent me the macro I needed, and
it worked perfectly.  I have never used this support community before, but I
am so impressed with all the great help I got right away.  Thanks again!!
Yours,
Bean

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

> Bean
>
> Without seeing a sample of your data it is hard to tell whether or not your
> formulas will work when you do get the = sign inserted.
>
> If data is a text string like 2+3+5+(12+20)*10 then a UDF will work.
>
> Function EvalCell(RefCell As String)
>     Application.Volatile
>     EvalCell = Evaluate(RefCell)
> End Function
>
> Copy the above function and paste into a General Module in your workbook.
>
> Assume A1 has the above text string.
>
> In B1 enter  =EvalCell(A1) to return 330
>
> Double-click on fill handle of B1 to copy formula down until end of data in
> column A.
>
> To add an = sign(or any other text at left)to existing cells use this macro.
>
> Sub Add_Text_Left()
> Dim Cell As Range
> Dim moretext As String
> Dim thisrng As Range
>     On Error GoTo endit
>     Set thisrng = Range(ActiveCell.Address & "," & Selection.Address) _
>             .SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants, xlTextValues)
>     moretext = InputBox("Enter your Text")
>     For Each Cell In thisrng
>         Cell.Value = moretext & Cell.Value
>     Next
>     Exit Sub
> endit:
>     MsgBox "only formulas in range"
> End Sub
>

> Gord
>
> On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 15:05:01 -0800, "Beancounter"
> <Beancounter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Yes, I need to create a formula from the existing cell contents by simply
> >adding a = sign to the cell's current contents (over 12,000 cells in one
> >column).  I, too, thought a macro would work, but don't know how to program
> >it to repeat the keystroke series "F2, Home, =, Enter" in a columnar range.
> >Many thanks for your assistance.
> >-Bean
> >
> >"Gord Dibben" wrote:
> >
> >> Bean
> >>
> >> Sounds like you are attempting to add an = sign to existing cell contents.
> >>
> >> For what purpose?  To create a formula?  What is the data currently in the
> >> cells?
> >>
> >> Perhaps there is another way to do what you want.
> >>
> >> I can think of a User Defined Function that evaluates cell contents depending
> >> upon what is currently entered in the cells.
> >>
> >> Or a macro that will add the = sign to all cells if that's all you want.
> >>

> >> Gord Dibben Excel MVP

Communications Between Program and Controlling Program
Hi All, I'm looking for feedback on the best way to code communications between Programs. The architecture we are looking at is similar to Symantec AV or others - a control program sends messages to the worker program on a different machine. The worker program communicates back when complete (with a result), and gets another chunk of work. The messages will be small. What will be communicated is as follows: Control Program: Control Program Start Control Program Stop (Worker queues messages) Control Program sends a piece of work when requested Worker Program: Worker Program Start Worke...

how do i import a picture or drawing into an excel spreadsheet?
i am trying to import a scanned image that i have saved on my hard drive to an excel spreadsheet. I keep getting an invalid format or goobledygook. Any suggestions? Hi you could insert it via 'Insert - Object - From file'. But why do you want to import a picture to Excel? -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "ucastores" <ucastores@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:B7E928D8-E482-45A8-A96C-803338688FC9@microsoft.com... > i am trying to import a scanned image that i have saved on my hard drive to > an excel spreadsheet. I keep getting ...

Excel Template Wizards
Hello, For tracking department purchases using Purchase Orders, we had created a Purchase Order Template and database using Excel 2000's Template Wizards. This worked out extremely well and was a fast, easy solution to keeping track of individual department purchases from vendors. In Excel 2003, the template wizards have been removed because of the Office Online add-ons and downloads. When loading up the template created in office 2000, 2003 does not use the tools provided in the original template, such as a "Pur Order" toolbar that brings up the next PO number to be us...

Help with assigning a macro to a commandbutton
I need to assign a macro to a commandbutton. I've recorded the macro and tried the code below but I get a "Expected End Sub" error Private Sub CommandButton1_Click() Sub Openproductmix351() ' ' Openproductmix351 Macro ' Macro recorded 8/30/2003 ' ' Sheets("PRODUCT MIX 351").Visible = True Sheets("351").Visible = True End Sub End Sub What did I do wrong? TIA, David I think it should be:- Sub Openproductmix351() 'Openproductmix351 Macro ' Macro recorded 8/30/2003 Sheets("PRODUCT MIX 351").Visible = True Sheets...

Running another program
Is it possible to run another program from within excel? The software I use at work is very repetitive and requires the same key-sequences entered many times. I got a key logger to help automate this so now I just press one key and the key logger will play back the sequence I recorded. I now want to be able to call the key logger from excel with a parameter to automate things further. Excel has its own macro recorder. Why not use it? "Stephen Miller" <StephenMiller@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:669A213C-F604-424D-A640-D90BEEDB83BC@mic...

Excel Paste Special Option
I have a spreadsheet with unique rows and column sizes. I need to copy the spreadsheet to another sheet. When I use the paste special option the colums retains the size but the rows adjusts to the default row sizes. How do I retain the row sizes when pasted to the new sheet? If you can copy the whole row, then the rowheight will come along when you paste. But maybe you could copy the worksheet itself. Rightclick on the worksheet, choose "move or copy...", check the Copy box at that bottom of the next dialog and copy it where you want it. Sometimes it's easier copying the...

Cannot Copy/Paste to some programs
I am using XP Home Edition and Word 2003 and Firefox browser. I find that, even though I can copy/pate between word.docs I cannot copy/paste to a Moonfruit website that I am building. I am in touch with moonfruit and it has them baffled. They are able to copy/paste to my website with no problem. I also find I cannot copy/Paste URLs from Firefox to IE browser. Any ideas? Thanks On 5 June, 15:45, Merryterry <ter...@fsmail.net> wrote: > I am using XP Home Edition and Word 2003 and Firefox browser. > > I find that, even though I can copy/pate between word.docs I ...

From Outlook 2010 to another program
Following a reply from Microsoft ("we know about your problem, we are working on it but currently we don't have a solution") I need to start using a different program until the problem is solved. O.S. is Seven, which is the best way to move all mails/accounts/contacts to something different? I read that Windows Live Mail doesn't import messages so I need to move to something out of Microsoft... -- /-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ T /-\ -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- - -=- >>>>> http://www.bb2002.it :) <<<<< ............ [ al lavoro ] ......

Excel 2003 #4
Hope someone out there can help, I have lost the toolbars and menu bars in Excel, at first I thought it was showing full screen but it wasn't I then tried to Alt/V to bring up the view menu but again nothing. Have re-installed Excel but still not showing, can anyone help me with this please. And you're sure that the window isn't just too far up and off the visible viewing area--so all that you would need to do is resize that window? If you can see excel's application title bar, then this isn't the problem. If you want to reset all the toolbars back to factory default...

Unnecessary messages from the outlook program + ...
Hi there... When I've pressed "send and recieve" and waited... there are two messages from the program which I think should not be necessary and could be dispensed with possibly ?? Message 1. says, new mail has arrived would you like to read it now. Message 2. says, it has been moved. we know that the email messages that it's refering to are spam and have duly been put into the norton antispam folder... so why are these messages necessary and how do we configure to get rid of them. when I press "send and recieve" at the beginning I would like to see and read em...

Recording new Macro won't reset drop downs
The title pretty much says it all. I am creating a "Clear Sheet" macro. When recording the macro I am clearing all data from necessary fields. However, I have a drop down with 5 account code numbers and one blank spot. When I am recording the macro I reset manually the drop down arrow to the blank choice. When I complete recording and run the "Clear Sheet" macro it clears everything out fine, but does not change the drop down to the blank spot. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong, or perhaps a better way of getting around this problem. Thanks in ...

Importing data into Excel
Hi I have a text file called a.txt. I would like to import it into excel with the headings domain, ip address, owner, administrative contact, technical contact, name servers, additional data. I'm not sure how I would go about doing that or if it is even possible. If someone knows, would you be able to assist me please. Below is what I would like the final excel spreadsheet to look like as well as the contents of the file I would like to import (a.txt). I haven't filled out the final excel spreadsheet, but all the columns would be filled out with the data from a.txt. Thank you. ...

Preview Word/Excell File on Access Form
I have created a form for previewing files stored on my computer. I have a textbox that contains the entire link (C:\Directory\File.extension) to the files I would like to preview. I was able to add a picture control to the form and added code to make the image (from the text box) appear on the form. I would like to do the same thing with word and excel files. I think I would have to use an unbound OLE object?, but I don't know how to set up the code. I will use a Select Case structure based on Right(textbox, 3). What code do I need to input under the case for "doc...

Problem opening excel files
Problems opening excel files in Lotus Notes. I have Vista. when I try to open a spreadsheet in firefox - I keep getting this message, "excel file cannot be opened, because the associated helper application does not exist. Change the association in your preferences.? What should I do so I can open all excel files again? You have Lotus Notes and you have Vista Operating System installed. Do you have Excel installed? If so, right-click an Excel file........*.xls and "Open With" Point to Excel. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Mon, 4 Aug 2008 10:04:04 -0700, Scandy <Sca...

Excel merged cells Not printing #2
Dave, Thanks for the suggestion. I am going to test it out with her and se if that makes a difference! I will let you know. Thanks again, Meliss -- Tuttama ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Tuttamay's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1540 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27016 ...

Fatloss computer program
I have been using this computer program for a couple weeks now and i am very pleased with the results so far. its a software fatloss program, if your looking for a diet/weightloss plan i reccomend you check this place out first: http://fatloss9.50webs.com ...

How 2 update PowerPoint table with excel numbers with same formatt
Hi, I have office 2003. I have PowerPoint table (not linked in excel). Well formatted according to my requirement. But when I need to update few cells (numbers) copying from Excel into PowerPoint, formatting is getting mess up. I tried paste as unformatted paste it's paste everything in one column only. Can anyone please help me out so i can copy & paste only those particular cells from Excel into PowerPoint Table without losing any formatting? Thanks Masters in advance :) Rajesh ...

Macro to copy and paste all rows of data in between two words
Dear Group This is probably somewhere here on this site but I cannot seem to track it down so I hope someone can help me. I am looking for a macro that can find the word "Start" in column B and then move one row and select all the rows until the word "End" is found in Column B". Then copy from sheet named "Datafrom" to sheet named "Datato". I really hope someone can help with this. Thanks very much in advance. Try; Sub DoIt() Dim rRange As Range On Error Resume Next Set rRange = Range(Range("A:A").Find("...

Word 2007 menu option missing from start programs menu
Office 2007 is installed on my computer and can only be accessed by going to the Recent Documents option and opening an existing doc. The menu selection for the program is missing from the MS Office option in the Start/All Programs menu. All other Office programs are listed. How do I get the Office 2007 program option to appear in the program menu again? ...

multiple text boxes when pasting in text from other programs
When copying and pasting text from Outlook Express or other programs into a newly created text box, each paragraph is going into its own separate text box within the original text box. This did not happen in Publisher 2000. Is there a way to 'turn off' this automatic text box creation and allow an entire article to go in as pasted? Miss Mood wrote: > When copying and pasting text from Outlook Express or other programs > into a newly created text box, each paragraph is going into its own > separate text box within the original text box. This did not happen > in Publi...

Unable to run any programs
I have a serious problem on my PC and wondered if anyone had any ideas. I re-booted my PC and after it came back up there were no icons in the system tray. When I tried to run any program from my task bar or desktop the system displayed the window which asks which program you would like to use to open the file (even though the files are all exe). I can open Word, Excel, PPT by double clicking on a relevant file(.doc .ppt .xls). however I can't open Outlook by clicking on a .pst file. I also can't run things from the 'run" window (like regedit, ipconfig etc). Als...

need HELP with simple excel formula!
I'm trying to come up with a basic formula today! I want to find how to write a formula where I want to basically find out: if A1 is >1, then multiply by cell B2 - otherwise (if not true), multiple by cell B1) Any help? Thanks in advance Try =IF(A1>1,A1*B2,A1*B1) Mike "Danni2008" wrote: > I'm trying to come up with a basic formula today! > > I want to find how to write a formula where I want to basically find out: > if A1 is >1, then multiply by cell B2 - otherwise (if not true), multiple by > cell B1) > > Any help? > Thanks in ad...

Excel file crashes when opened for certain users only
Got a shared xl file sitting on a share on the network. Two teams have the exact same access to this share. One team can open the shared xl file without error. With the other group, trying to open this file crashes Excel. Both teams use the same pc build and have the exact same access to the same share. Affected users can open other xl files from same share, just this one xl file that won't load for them, but will for others. This is driving me nuts Any advice? RoJoBo Clean temp files, temp internet files on the pc that crashes "RoJoBo" <anonymous@discussions.mi...

Excel for SQL
I found an excel for SQL download. Normally I do my sql queries thru access then download the info to Excel to put it into pivot tables (and stuff). http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx? FamilyID=dae82128-9f21-475d-88a4- 4b6e6c069ff0&displaylang=en Does anyone have any experience with this download? How does it make it easier to get at SQL data and create queries (or does it). Thanks. ...

Help: Outlook changes Outlook express mail program
I just installed Office 2003 and I use OE as my mail default client. For whatever reason every time I reboot the computer Microsoft changes all my OE icons to Outlook icons. When I open the program Outlook opens and not OE. Does anyone know how to permanently stop this ? Why is it doing that ? Thank you. Multiposted and answered in the other newsgroups where posted --=20 Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. "car crash" <carcrash1@gmail.com> wrote in message = news:1175729373.53801...