How to prevent double entry in excel?

Hi,

I'm trying to avoid double entry in this particular work here. Is there any
formulas or function that allow me to automatically detect the double entry?

George
0
Teng (3)

See this site George
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/NoDupEntry.htm

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"George Teng" <George Teng@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:45BD1920-9A9B-4314-BDCD-FB1F507DBD95@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to avoid double entry in this particular work here. Is there any
> formulas or function that allow me to automatically detect the double entry?
>
> George

0
rondebruin (3789)
3/15/2005 7:04:01 AM
Hi!

You can use Data Validation to do this.

Assume you'll be entering data in the range A1:A100 and
want to prevent any duplicate entries.

Select the range A1:A100
Goto Data>Validation
From the Allow drop down select Custom
In the Formula box enter:

=COUNTIF($A$1:$A$100,$A1)<=1

If you want, you can create a custom message that will pop
up if a duplicate entry is attempted.

Click the Error Alert tab.

Use a message something like this:

You are attempting to make an entry that already exsists!

Click OK and you're all set!

Biff

0
biffinpitt (3171)
3/15/2005 7:04:36 AM
You can also read this :
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;213185

"Ron de Bruin" wrote:

> See this site George
> http://www.cpearson.com/excel/NoDupEntry.htm
>

> --
> Regards Ron de Bruin
> http://www.rondebruin.nl
>

> "George Teng" <George Teng@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:45BD1920-9A9B-4314-BDCD-FB1F507DBD95@microsoft.com...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to avoid double entry in this particular work here. Is there any
> > formulas or function that allow me to automatically detect the double entry?
> >
> > George

0
Kassie (262)

Export to excel fit a matrix to one page
Hi , I am creating a scorecard for a client which shows a range of kpi's . I would like to fit this on one page ? The excel sheet fits onto two pages when i export it .The client is quite pedantic about this . I have tried just about everything . Any suggestions will be appreciated .It is a matrix . Regards Malcolm I suggest instead of a matrix that you use a pivot statement in your sql statement. Pivot does the same thing as the matrix as long as you do not have a variable number of columns. I'm assuming that since this is a scorecard that it isn't v...

Powerpoint / Excel: custom pp RGB color doesn't match identical Excel custom RGB color
Office 2003: I have a Powerpoint master template with a custom color (main slide fill color), RGB 0 51 153. I want to paste an Excel chart. In Excel, I create a custom color for the chart area using the same RGB code, copy the chart and paste it into a powerpoint slide, and the colors don't match. This illustrates the problem, with background/area colors. Same problem with fonts, etc. What on earth causes this? Switching to HSL doesn't help. HELP? Thanks. Perhaps this will help: http://www.echosvoice.com/charts.htm Be sure to hit the links about color schemes and MS Graph and...

How do I create a Title row or field in Excel 2003?
At the top of my spreadsheet I want to create a row that is the name or title. I want it locked and unchanging once created. One way: Select cell A2. Choose Window/Freeze Panes In article <BD68C9F9-125B-45AC-A8F0-08122CB1E6DA@microsoft.com>, hookturner <hookturner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > At the top of my spreadsheet I want to create a row that is the name or > title. I want it locked and unchanging once created. ...

Excel CRASHES when I try to save
even a blank worksheet How can I fix this problem? Please help thanks A little more info would help, does it occur with any file from any directory, etc etc..................this is something that occurs regularly if you are working on a file on a network and the path gets interrupted.....about all you can do in that case is "save" a lot when it's working. Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "betttor77" wrote: > even a blank worksheet > > How can I fix this problem? > > Please help > thanks > > ...

Excel 2007 on Vista
avoid this? When I minimise my excel 2007 worksheet I lose the ribbon. How can I Sounds like you are minimizing the application, not the workbook. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 06:23:02 -0700, Mary Hitt <Mary Hitt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >avoid this? When I minimise my excel 2007 worksheet I lose the ribbon. How >can I ...

How do I create a drop down box in Excel for another person to see
How do I create a drop down box in Excel for another person to select from. For example I want someone to give me the answer to a question using the drop down box for the answer. Hi see: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal01.html -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Brian" <Brian@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:DD0016C4-C699-4072-995B-EBD986EEEED7@microsoft.com... > How do I create a drop down box in Excel for another person to select from. > For example I want someone to give me the answer to a question using the drop > down box for...

preventing date from changing
I have an If condition that sets the date to "today()" true or "today() + 1" if false. My question is how do I prevent the date from changing? If the date is set for today, then tomorrow I don't want to "update". How can this be done? thanks You could copy the cell, and paste as values, before you close the file. (Edit>Paste Special, Values) Or, you could enter today's date in a cell in the row (Ctrl+; ), then refer to that cell in the formula. For example, instead of: =IF(A2="Local",TODAY(),TODAY()+1) enter: =IF(A2="Local...

excel formula #18
6GN3839883 6G = NEVER CHANGES N = MONTH 1-9 JAN - SEP, O - D OCT - DEC 3 = YEAR 39883 = IS UNIQUE TO THE PRODUCT I WANT TO SET UP A FORMULA THAT WILL AUTOMATICALLY TELL ME IF THE PRODUCT IS WITHIN WARRANTY. IT CAN NOT BE ANY OLDER THAN 2 YEARS, I.E. 6GD901234 (6G DEC 1999) WOULD BE TO OLD SO IT HAS TO SHOW THAT IS WITHIN SAY 6G23????? AND 6G15?????. I HAVE TRIED USING 'IF' BUT I CAN NOT SEEM TO GET THE FORMULA RIGHT. IS THERE A FORMULA I CAN USE? How would you display 1994, 2004 or 2009? What I am meaning is how do you know (or how would excel know) 9 is 1999 and not 1909 or 2009?...

outlook feature to prevent forgetting attachments
Often people forget to send attachments with emails. Very often they will write something along the lines of "I have attached the minutes from our meeting" and then forget to atcually attach a file. Is there a way therefore that outlook can check the text of an email for words like attach, attached, attachment and query the user before sending if there does not appear to be an attachment? ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree"...

Excel 2008 running very slowly
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel In the last two months I've noticed Excel running very slowly. I didn't make any changes and I've run the Microsoft updates and any Mac OS Updates available. I am running 10.5.8 and Excel 2008. Any suggestions would be appreciated. It's frustrating to say the least! Which printer are you using? If you go into Normal view, is it still slow? There's a bug affecting some Canon and HP Printer drivers that causes Excel to get VERY slow in Page Layout view. You need to replace the printe...

97: How can I find duplicate entries in a column?
Hello and thanks in advance for any help. This is a very basic question from an even more basic user. I have a spread sheet with a long list of ID numbers for skips. Sometimes duplicate numbers arise from paper work from elsewhere and I get a false total of skips in hand. How can I organise that column to highlight a duplicate entry please? Shen --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Insert a helper column: =COUNTIF(A1:A9999,A1) (adjust the range to suit.) then the formulas that evaluate to more than 1 will be duplicated. Chip Pearson has some other techniques at: http://ww...

Office Excel
How do I open Office Excel from the desk , or from a map. in Office 2003 you could open Excel by right klick and then open it. but in Excel 2007 you dont have that choise, why? ...

sort column data with hidden columns
I want to sort on a column of data (card #) where my worksheet has hidden columns. I read in help that I should unhide the columns, but I am trying to avoid that because it is a corporate worksheet and I have to copy/paste data into it each month. Is there any other way that I can accomplish a sort with hidden columns? I have zero experience with macros...would a macro be able to sort data with hidden columns in it? HELP! I'm trying to find a way to save hundreds of hours/year in gas receipt reconciliations... Hi 'nan'- As long as your data is arranged in consecutiv...

Horticulturist Doing Excel #2
Thanks ! Thats what I was looking for. -- emul ------------------------------------------------------------------------ emul's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=16437 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=278005 ...

using find in excel from C# code
Hi, I am working to make an aplication that open an existing excel file, search for some text and notifies the result. Now, when I run it, before the excel file's opens get this error: COMException Types mismatch (Exception HRESULT: 0x80020005 (DISP_E_TYPEMISMATCH)) My code is: object oMissing = System.Reflection.Missing.Value; Excel.ApplicationClass oExcel = new Excel.ApplicationClass(); oExcel.Visible = true; Excel.Workbooks oBooks = oExcel.Workbooks; Excel._Workbook oBook = null; ...

File size limits-Excel 2003
Created a simple file 35 rows by 8 columns, text & numbers only which can print on one 8.5x11 sheet of paper. When saving to newly formatted 3.5" disk on A drive, got a 'file too large' error message. Looked at PROPERTIES and file size is 3.31 MB. Unable to reduce file size. Unable to 'delete' excess cells. HELP! -- Bert Hi First: NEVER save directly to a floppy disk. This is one of the main causes for corrupted files. ALWAYS save to a harddisk and manually copy the file For your question: check: http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#Unused to re-set the used ra...

Duplicate Entries #2
I'm a "casual" user of Excel 2002. I have a single-column spreadsheet containing about 900 entries, many of them duplicates. I've sorted the list alphabetically. Is there any good, automated procedure for eliminating duplicate entries, or is that strictly a long, boring manual process? Thanks very much for your help, JW. ASAP Utilities, which is a free add-in easily found by Googling "ASAP Utilities," makes this an easy job. After installing the add-in, highlight the range that includes your lists, and go to "ASAP Utilities/Information/Count Duplicat...

Prevent the sales from Tendering when another Item is Scan at POS
Hello, We have serveral items that our Retail does have price assign to them. The cashier will scan the next item. They will not notice the last item they did not enter a price. Now the 2nd item is the price for the 1st item. Then the cashier will tender out the sales without noticing they have an incorrect total for this transaction. Then the store manager have to performed a post void for this transaction, which hold up the customer awaiting to check out. Have anyone else encounter this and know a way to limited sale from being total out of an acceptable sales amount...

Map projection as an Excel chart
Can I download Excel chart based on a map projection? ...

Print Selected Items in Excel Order Form
Hi, I’m new to the site and also to Visual Basic. I have found the following code from Dave Peterson on http://www.contextures.com/xlForm03.html, which does more or less what I want apart from one thing, which I can’t figure out how to change. Values from the worksheet list, starting in Column B and moving right, are copied to the order form, into the addresses specified. Instead of copying values from Column B and moving right (as in B1, C1, D1...), I would like to copy to the form only selected cells like B1, D1, H1... Print Marked Items Code Option Base 0 Sub Print...

Excel VBA Gurus needed
I am an executive recruiter. I have several positions available within a large investment bank located in Manhattan, New York. These positions are with in the global derivatives section of the bank. If you have a good amount of experience with Excel VBA please do not hesitate to email me with a copy of your resume at david@careercapital.net with a copy of your resume. Thanks and i look forward to speaking to you soon! The positions are high level positions that range from 80k - 150k on a base salary. -- Career Capital --------------------------------------------------------------------...

prevent user from deleting a tab prevent running macro from menu
how can one prevent a user from 1. deleting a specific tab in a workbook? 2. prevent a user from running a macro from the tools menu (where user can only run a macro from a command button)? thanks! #1. Protect the workbook's structure. In xl2003 menus: tools|protection|protect workbook|check structure #2. Make the sub private: Sub Testme() becomes Private Sub testme() This will stop the user from seeing that subroutine--but if they know the name, they can still type it and run it. joemeshuggah wrote: > > how can one prevent a user from...

Excel Label Printing Problem
I am trying to print my list of movies from an Excel sheet to Avery fil folder labels. I have tried Mail Merge, to no avail. The problem i when I merge, there is nothing on the label sheet. I'm pretty sur there must be some way to do this. I can't believe I have to forma file foler labels as addresses! Thanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com David McRitchie's web page should tell you what you need to do: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/mailmerg.htm -- HTH, RD --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please keep al...

duplicate entries needed
Anyone know if it's possible to enter two of the same market symbols? I have a regular mutual fund with a company and an IRA with the same company. I haven't been able to figure out how to enter both because Money won't allow a duplicate entry of symbols. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. See http://www.bollar.org/msmoney/#Q59. "mockalisj" <mockalisj@sc.rr.com> wrote in message news:2b4301c37476$3594e820$a101280a@phx.gbl... > Anyone know if it's possible to enter two of the same > market symbols? I have a regular mutual fund with a > c...

Can custom entries be added to pull downs
I know that some time ago I was told be a fellow Outlook user that there is a way to add a entry into a pull down list with in out look. Example would be in the Journal Entry Form. There is a pull down that is called entry type. I would like to add a selection. Isn't there a txt file somewhere that I can edit? No, it is in the Registry. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the SWEN virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer...