how to paste data from top to bottom to bottom to top

some of the historical data (monthly data, 1980-jan, Feb, march...1981-Jan,
feb.march....) are on this format. But i need them to be pasted as the
otherway around (1981-Dec, Nov.....feb,jan,1980-dec,Nov...feb,jan).
0
Fazeel (1)

If I had to do this, I'd try to convert each of those non-dates into real dates.

One way is to use a formula:

with 1980-Jan in A1, I could put this in B1
=DATEVALUE(RIGHT(A1,3)&" 1, "&LEFT(A1,4))

Format that cell as a date and see:
Jan 1, 1980

Then you could do pretty much anything you want with that column of real dates.

But the formula you need really depends on all the variation of the values in
your historical data.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Paste special treats cells as a picture
I just got a new computer, and a newer version of excel, which is great, but whenever I try to copy from one file to another, my paste special function treats the copied cells as a picture. Instead of the normal paste special popup, where it asks me how I want the data to come out, I get a different popup that shows the source as a "Microsoft Office Excel Worksheet Object." It asks me what format I want the picture to come out as, and gives me a list of different file formats. If I try to just paste a link, it puts a picture of the other file on the new one. I talked to so...

Data merge from Excel 2007
I am creating a series of open house flyers in Publisher 2007 which will pull their data from an Excel 2007 data source. I am using the Catalog Merge function. I want to be able to determine the numeric format in the merged document, but so far I am not able to do that. I have made a table in the Excel source file and saved it. The table is in a named range. I have gone into My Data Sources and created a new ODBC connection to the named range. This opens a new Excel workbook. In Publisher, I start the Catalog Merge wizard, then connect to the data source. I drag the desired fields into the ...

how do i plot this kind of data using excel
need a help in plotting data presented in class form, e.g; variables for A in condition 1 ranges from 67-89, in condition 2they range from 52-67, in condition 3; 65-87, in conditon 4, 62-83. Variables for B in condition 1 60-77,in condition 2, 50-64, in condition 3, 54-73, in condition 4 51-70 Tamm, Try setting your data up like this: Low High A1 67 89 B1 60 77 A2 52 67 B2 50 64 A3 65 87 B3 54 73 A4 62 83 B4 51 70 Then, plot it using either a clustered column chart or a stacked column chart. ---- Regards, John Mansfield http://www.pdbook.com "TAMM" wrote: > need a he...

Extracting Data #3
Following is an example of the type of data I have in Column A of my spreadsheet. This is just one record there are hundreds that are similar. I would like to extract the Address and Owner and the 3 lines below that to another column, worksheet or workbook (it doesn't matter). I am new to Excel so I don't know if this is possibe or not. I appreciate the help. ROLL NUMBER : 002-650-067-44-0000 JURISDICTION: 200 - ADDRESS : 2860- 2858 W First OWNER : ABC Company LTD 2429 MCBAIN AVE Washington DC 123456 EQUITY: Regist...

Copy and paste formula; Value pastes instead
Excel 2002 I've tried starting several worksheets, checking formats, pasting special (formula only). For some reason the formula actually copies OK by looking at the formula bar, but the value in the cell is identical to the value of the copied cell.Incorrect. Tried even the simplest formulas with no joy. BK ...

Text data
I am entering text data into a spreadsheet and I need to know how to calculate the number of times particular words/phrases appear in each column. I am very new to excel, so any help would be appreciated! =COUNTIF(A1:A1000,"word") replace A1:A1000 with your range and word with the word you want to count -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "excelbeginner" <excelbeginner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FE55CF40-F3B6-42F3-918F-D200690758F6@microsoft.com... >I am entering text data into a spreadsheet and I need to know how to > calculate the nu...

"Paste Special" with the right click mouse
I would like to have the option of "Paste Special" with the right click mouse in all microsoft office suite. Thanks, ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=de847738-df56-4...

Journal Entry Data Dump
Our auditors want a data dump (into Excel preferably) of all Journal Entries made during our fiscal year. Does anyone know of a way to accomplish this? Thanks! Kurt, You can do this in SmartList, under Account Transactions. Limit the transaction date range to get just your fiscal year. Remember to change the number of transactions SmartList brings back, since by default it's only 1000. Also, if you get more than about 65,000 transactions back, you will run into Excel limitations, so you may want to break this up further - maybe one export per month. Hope that helps. -- Vict...

How do I add error bars unique to each data point?
I have a data series that I want to add error bars to, however I would like to have unique error bar values for each individual point? Is this possible? Thank you.. Glenn Hi, On the error bar tab of the format dialog for a data series are 2 ref edit boxes that will allow you to select a range of cells containing a unique value for each point. Cheers Andy Glenn wrote: > I have a data series that I want to add error bars to, however I would like > to have unique error bar values for each individual point? Is this possible? > Thank you.. > Glenn -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP ...

Clipboard pasting
I copy something to the clipboard using Publisher 2007 and the computer tells me it is in the clipboard; however, when I go to paste that information into another document, Publisher acts like it is not there. I then need to close the document I wish to paste it into, reopen it, and then, like magic, there is the information in the clipboard and I am able to paste it. UGH!!!!!! -- Ginger Christenson Open the Office Clipboard in Publisher. Edit, Office Clipboard. What program are you pasting to? If it is an Office program, open the Office Clipboard in that program too. -- Mary Sauer ...

Count data or list
I am trying to count a data group and return the quanity of unique entries: It might look like this: The data would be in cols & rows 2 green widgets 25.5 inches long 3 green widgets 28.3 inches long 1 brown widgets 52.1 inches long 2 green widgets 25.5 inches long 1 brown widgets 52.1 inches long the result would be: 4 green widgets 25.5 inches long 3 green widgets 28.3 inches long 2 brown widgets 52.1 inches long Any simple straight forward way to do this??? Thanks, Spydor -- spydor ----------------------------------------------------...

Copy/Paste loop
I have a form on one sheet in excel, on the next sheet i have mad different coloums with different headings. I want the data from th form to be copyed to each heading e.g. name in form is copyed to unde the coloum with title name. So each time a user fills in there details he/she clicks submit an there data is copyed to the next page, like a small database. Is there a macro that can do this as i keep getting different error each time. I want this to continue in a loop Please help!!:confused -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com This might get you started: Option Explicit Opti...

empty data from a pivot table
i've a pivot table with data, format and so on. For create the table i've include data from an external source data. Now, before to send out the workbook i want to clear all the data, so that the pivot table is empty but not lost the format of the columns and the fields. How can do it? I hope to explain well my problem. Thanks for any help! ...

Numeric values in data area of the pivot tables
How can I bring a numeric data into the data area of a pivot table? I need to sort the numeric values in the numerical order. Any idea? ...

Pasting formulas advances cell reference
Hi When i paste special from one cell into another, it advances the cell reference and i just want an exact match i.e. A1 formula ='Feb 2010'!C18 but when i paste it into another cell it pastes it as ='Feb 2010'!D18 The C changes to D, how do i stop this happening? Thanks for any help in advance Derek Use absolute referencing. Below are the different reference styles. A1 Relative referencing. Both column and row will change if you copy or drag the formula. $A1 The column reference is fixed and will not change A$1 The row reference is fixed and wil...

Can I create an Excel chart from non-contiguous data cells?
Using Excel Office 2003, I'm being asked to create charts from existing worksheets, often several within a workbook, using specific cells (total/average cells). The cells are not adjacent to one another, but they are identical from one worksheet to another. In my case, the cells are K15, K29, K42, W15, W29, and W42. I'd like a separate chart for each worksheet, and would like to have the chart automatically created once the data is in the worksheet. Is this possible? You can select discontiguous data by selecting one area, then holding CTRL while selecting additional areas....

lookup data in table
I am having trouble getting a result from the table below. I need to know how many of each Door Type and size which come from dropdown lists and also send through a related price. A B C D E 870 870 Readicote 720 PBAL 2 MIL 1 870 MIL 101 COLONIAL 720 1030 Readicote 870 Readicote I need this to display as: 1/1030 Readicote 3/870 Readicote 1/720 Readicote 1/870 MIL 101 1/720 PBAL 2 Thanks in Advance. Use a formula like: =SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:D100=870)*(E1:E100="Readicote")) & "/" & 870 &a...

When I copy a picture and paste it into Publisher it disappears
I have tried to copy a picture from my documents and paste it into Publisher and the picture disappears. What version of Publisher? What happens if you go to... Insert / Picture / From File? -- John Inzer "Cathy" <Cathy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EF2CA50C-78D9-47DB-8799-E9C3C9171038@microsoft.com... >I have tried to copy a picture from my documents and paste it into >Publisher > and the picture disappears. I am using Office Profession Edition 2003. I tried another picture and so far it is still there. Thanks. "John Inzer"...

Migrating Quickbooks data to Great Plains
Hi, I am trying to migrate checks written in quickbooks to great plains. I need the checks to show as transactinos and also to hit the payables modules in great plains. Does anyone have a good suggestion on how to do this? Is econnect the way to go? Any help or suggestions would be great. Integration Manager is a good tool for importing data into Great Plains. If Quickbooks has a good export facility you can export the check information to a csv or Excel file and then do the import. I would recommend importing the cheques into some payables management batches. When you post these batches ...

Excluding data from automatically refreshed charts
How do I exclude the last three rows of a graph that is automatically refreshed? Really, You can change the source data to not include the last three rows. A macro could do that. Or you could use Tools - Options - Chart - Visible cells only, and hide the rows . -- Earl Kiosterud www.smokeylake.com "Reallydumb" <Reallydumb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:943F89DC-9B54-4F9C-AF91-337C84E77C04@microsoft.com... > How do I exclude the last three rows of a graph that is automatically > refreshed? In article <943F89DC-9B54-4F9C-AF91-337C84E77C04...

How to Gather TimeSheet Data to Create Invoice
Hello, I am building an employee timesheet database that will also be utilized as an invoicing database. Whtat I have is a table/form setup in which a user enters in an employees time. The employee will spend the day on various different projects and will write their time sheet accordingly. The time sheet table/form stores the Employee Name (EmployeeID), the job they were working on (ProjectID), the hours worked on that project (HoursWorked), and the cost code for the time spent (CostCode....their are 50 different cost codes depending on what the employee was doing such as calculations, co...

Tabs accross of bottom of sheet are not showing
I have done the following (outlined below) per the excell help wizard and the sheet tabs still do NOT show across the bottom. Also applies to the horizonal scrollbar Sheet tabs aren't listed across the bottom of the screen. Display or hide all sheet tabs On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the View tab. Select or clear the Sheet tabs check box. When displaying sheet tabs, you may also need to expand the tab scrolling area. Hi have you run detect & repair from the help menu? -- Cheers JulieD check out www.hcts.net.au/tipsandtricks.htm ....well i'm worki...

pulling out data
ok guys i need help. i have a list like this that i copy into excel: address 1: phone: 555 555 5555 address 2: phone: 555 555 5555 address 3: none address 1: phone: 555 555 5555 address 2: none address 3: none this list goes on for pages and i recieve one every day that i mus sort. i need to come up with just the address 1 phone numbers in list like so: 555 555 5555 555 555 5555 555 555 5555 i managed to get them all on their own page by doing a search fo "phone:" and copying the search all list and replacing "phone:" wit nothing. the only problem is it returns the ...

Data Access Page 12-07-09
I designed a Data Access Page. It works well at the office, but a user from the field said she got this error: "Data provider could not be initialized" and "Microsoft Jet database cannot open file. It is already open exclusively by another user or you need permission to view file". Can anyone help? I've seen a couple posts from you regarding DAP. I think you should consider gating away form that and take a look at this: http://www.hkvstore.com/aspreportmaker/ If you fee really motivated, try this: http://www.microsoft.com/express/vwd/ ASP Report Maker...

data validation #26
I have two cells in my spreadsheet where field personnel will enter data. I'm using Data Validation, Allow Date, to control what they enter. The cells are: A1 Year Begin A2 Proposed Year End They will put the year they began in the "Year Begin", but I want to limit what they can enter in "Proposed Year End" to no more than 12 years, that's the max we allow them to take. Under Data, I chose "between". For "Start date" I entered "1/1/2004", just so they don't erroneously type in previous years. For "End date", what do...