How to maintain text characters when converting from xls to dbf f.

I am trying to save an xls (97-2002) file as a DBF IV format in order to use
it in ArcGIS.  The dbf format trucates my text (in addition to the column
heading) and converts the cell text format into a number format.  Is there
any way around this?  Is there a maximum character length for DBF cells?
0
Nombo (1)

Hi Nombo,

I'm used to working with FoxPro DBFs which have a limit of 256 characters in
a Character field (for longer strings use a Memo field) and a limit of 10
characters for field names. Maybe DBF IV is the same.

--
Cindy Winegarden  MCSD, Microsoft Visual FoxPro MVP
cindy_winegarden@msn.com  www.cindywinegarden.com

"Nombo" <Nombo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to save an xls (97-2002) file as a DBF IV format in order to
>use
> it in ArcGIS.  The dbf format trucates my text (in addition to the column
> heading) and converts the cell text format into a number format.  Is there
> any way around this?  Is there a maximum character length for DBF cells?

Cutting and Pasting of text
I am attempting to cut and past text from Word files and and Notebook files. I select the text, key CTRL C, go to Publisher file, the desired spot in a text box, and key CTRL V to paste. Publisher keeps pasting a graphic I had prviously pasted. This shoul;d be the simplest thing to do. What am I doing wrong? -- Bob Martin BobMartin wrote: || I am attempting to cut and past text from Word files and and || Notebook files. I select the text, key CTRL C, go to Publisher file, || the desired spot in a text box, and key CTRL V to paste. || Publisher keeps pasting a graphic I had prviously pasted...

Copy and Past Values AND Formatting AND Text
I want to copy and paste a section of my spreadsheet, however, I can't seem to find a way to copy the formatting, the text, and the values. If I try to use the paste values (special) function, I lose all of my text and all of my formatting. Any method I've tried that retains my formatting results in a loss of my values. I am going from one worksheet to another within the same workbook and have many merged and adjusted cell sizes which seem to be a lot of the problem. Any suggestions? -- KKD If desired, send your file to my address below. I will only look if: ...

Insert Multiple Text Frames
Someone has told me that to insert a text frame you can click the text frame button with your right mouse and that way it will leave it switched on so that you can use it over and over again without reselecting the button. I'm using v2000 but I can't seem to get it to work. Thanks Anita I've never heard that. Right-mouse button clicks generally give you options about the command you are in the process of using. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Anita" <Anita@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7DEAAFC1-0DD6-42CD-AF4F-A3A64CE2AE96...

text to row
How do I convert text within a cell to multiple rows in the same way that I can convert each word to multiple columns with the text-to-column function? -Excel 2000 Try the text to column function, select the text in the columns, copy to the clipboard, then use the paste special function - transpose option. This will put the info in one column but different rows. If that works, you might want to develop a macro. "Brett" wrote: > How do I convert text within a cell to multiple rows in the same way that I > can convert each word to multiple columns with the text-to-col...

Importing Fixed Width Text
I have a text file that I would like to import into a table using a macro, but I am having difficultly understanding the help file. 1. Selected TransferText from the Action Window. 2. Transfer Type = Import Fixed Width 3. Specification Name ?????? 4. Table Name = Test 5. File Name = C:\Temp\175updt.txt 6. Field Names = No I am confused with the Specification Name. I have read the help file but I am unsure what arguement to use and the schema.ini thing lost me. Sure would appeciate some assistance. Thank you Hi Duane Do the first import by hand, using File->Get external ...

How do I maintain formatting?
I'm using Word 2K and when I save as a .txt file all formatting is lost. I use a Text to HTML converter prior to uploading to a website. How do I go about preserving the formatting so that the web doc looks like the one I created in Word? Best regards, -- VHH III Txt is plain text and that does not support formatting. Html does support formatting, but its requirements are entirely different from those of a Word document and so there is little correlation between the two. You can view what the Word document will look like in html by using the Web view. -- <>&...

VBA to add and remove text within cells
Hi, I have a field named "Postal" at the top of column F that always include a number with 5 digits then a city name then a region name, such as "11090 CARCASSONNE Linguadoca-Rossiglione". I need to create a program to have this field changed as following : "F-11090", then copying "CARCASSONNE" into the City field which is empty (column G). The city name is always starting just one space character after the postcode, same thing for the region name, it always starts one space character after the city name. The region has to be removed completely. ...

How do I set text to top of cell next to wrap text in Excel?
In the cell next to a wrap text cell, I want the text to appear at the top of the cell, not at the bottom. Ex. cell A1 is a title for that line and cell A2 is a specification for the title. The specification is much longer than the title so I use wrap text, but when the row height is elongated to show all the text, the title ends up even with the bottom of the spec. How can I make the title even with the top of the cell? Format-->Cell, Alignment tab. Set vertical alignment to top. ************ Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "Carpenter Gary" <Carpenter Gary@discussio...

Wrap text in table
Will Pub. 2003 wrap text in a table? I have a 4 column, 5 row table that I am trying to insert clip art into along with some text for each cell. It would certaintly make my flyer look more attractive if I could wrap the text with the clip art. Thanks. A workaround. Create a text box the same size as a cell, insert clipart, re-size the clipart to fit the space, bring to the front. Create more columns, with your cursor in a cell, fill, fill effects, picture tab. The images will be next to your text, however the text will not be wrapped -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.co...

text wrapping #5
No matter what I do, text will not wrap around my picture. I've done the format picture with the text box options, but it does nothing. The picture has no border, either. I've tried sending it to the back, front, everywehre, nothing works. Why? -- Kathy Kathy wrote: > No matter what I do, text will not wrap around my picture. I've done > the format picture with the text box options, but it does nothing. > The picture has no border, either. I've tried sending it to the back, > front, everywehre, nothing works. Why? =================================== Which vers...

Maintaining Links
All, I have a db that is linked to a table of another db. They are kept in one folder. Whenver I move the folder to another comp or change the location I need to re-link. How do I maintain the link so that I don't have to relink every time I move the folder? Thanks in advance. What you are asking is "How can I be in 2 places at the same time?" Do I really need to answer that? On the other hand, you can have the front-end app automatically ask for the new location. Have a look at the following: http://www.mvps.org/access/tables/tbl0009.htm -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://...

how to manually copy text from one cell to end of other text cell
probably stupid question, but anyways... I want to manually copy the content of 1 text cell to the end of another text cell, on the same sheet. For that, I copy the content of the source cell (ctrl-C), I move the cursor to the target cell and I hit "F2" to position the cursor at the end of the text of the target cell. But as soon as I hit "F2" the text of the source cell is "unselected" and hence cannot copy the source text... help much appreciated! Hi, do this when you select the cell to copy don't press Ctrl C, you will see the text in t...

Help Creating A Formula To Copy and Paste Text
Hi everyone. Thanks in advance for any help you may have. I need to create a formula that searches for a specific word in a column then cut the word and paste it to another column. Of course this would be simple if it was the only word in the column, but there is other text that I would like to remain in the orginal column.. Thanks again, Mary You have a reply at your other thread. Mary wrote: > > Hi everyone. Thanks in advance for any help you may have. > > I need to create a formula that searches for a specific word in a > column then cut the word and paste it to ...

Automatically have the text changed when the value changes
I need to know how to get the text automatically changed when the selected value changes Text is where? Selected value is where? Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 09:31:04 -0800, "abhijeet" <abhijeet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I need to know how to get the text automatically changed when the selected >value changes ...

Recognizing misc. text
I have this worksheet in which a collumn contains a lot of text but i want to filter out the cells that contain the text "SAP (miscellaneous text)" from the rest. Is there any way excel can recognize the SAP+space part and doesn't care about what follows after that in the cell as long as there at least is some text? Thx in advance. -- MeisterHim ------------------------------------------------------------------------ MeisterHim's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27401 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadi...

htm created from .xls problem
Not sure this is the correct place for this but where would it fit...not in Excel. The university makes us use an .xls form that we then have to re-enter the information into our Access DB. My thought was to make a web form that sends the info to our database and prints out the .xls. When the .xls form is turned into a web page...the resulting page becomes too big to print on a single page. Questions: 1. Is there a way to tell a web page to print at like 80% or 2. Is there a way to tell the converter engine withing Microsoft Office to make the conversion smaller or 3. Am I now going t...

how to add text box
Is it possible to add a text box to a document, but without the black border around the text box? It is. Double-click the border of your textbox, then, under "Line", select the colour you'd like to use, or simply use "No line" to get rid of the lines altogether. On 29/11/06 9:45, in article 1164789931.183526.112550@h54g2000cwb.googlegroups.com, "lawengin" <skho@iinet.net.au> wrote: > Is it possible to add a text box to a document, but without the black > border around the text box? > -- Michel Bintener Microsoft MVP Office:Mac (Entourage...

Wrap text #5
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C5BDD8.837B2B00 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I have a spread sheet with cells formated Number=3Dgeneral, = Alignment=3Dvertical & wrap text. In several cells below the printed = page I have included long comments that wrap in the cell. In the = printed page I enter a formula in the A1 cell, =3Dg90 which inserts the = contents of g90, perhaps six rows of text, into cell A1. But the = contents are limited to the first row only. If I save the ...

Text problems
Using a newsletter created by Publisher 2000, opening the newsletter in Publisher 2002 and saving as a web page some of the text lines are over writen by the next line and the text that fills a column in the newsletter leaves a lot of white space at the bottom of the column. Is there any way to fix this problem or do I continue to use Publisher 2000 and give up on Publisher 2002? Thanks for any help any one can give. Bill ...

How do I turn off the text to speech facility in Exccel?
I am trying to turn off the text to speech facility in Excel. Please help. On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 01:29:26 -0700, "David Boas" <David Boas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in microsoft.public.excel.misc: >I am trying to turn off the text to speech facility in Excel. Please help. On the Speech toolbar, click Speak On Enter, the rightmost button. See also Help: "Turn off speech playback" where it says: Turn off speech playback Do one of the following: To turn off all speech playback, click Stop Speaking on the Text To Speech toolbar. To turn on or...

Maintaining Format
We have a 400 page tech manual with tons of formatting: figures, tables with auto numbering, chapters and paragraph numbering. There are 4 folks on the team re-writing the document and when we combine the doc, all the formatting gets jumbled. Is there a way to create a formatting template perhaps and pass that to all the writers? You should set up a template with the appropriate paragraph styles and have all editors use the template. More to the point, if all editors make use of the same (set of) styles and apply them consistently, the formatting will straighten itself out as t...

Formatting part of text in a Cell & shortcut copying Row hieghts
1.Is there a macro or otherwise to format i.e Bold,underline etc a part of text in a cell? 2. Is there a shortcut way of applying hieght of a specific row to other selected rows. -- Many Thanks Gunjani After a hard fought 1-1 draw, "The best side drew." - Bill Shankly (Legendary Liverpool Manager) Hi one way for your first question: simly select the specific text part in the formula bar and apply your format -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Gunjani wrote: > 1.Is there a macro or otherwise to format i.e Bold,underline etc a > part of t...

New Workbook Defaults to Personal.xls
Hi, Whenever I start a new instance of Microsoft Excel, the default filename is Personal.xls, instead of Book1 (or whatever...) Since I have some procedures built into my Personal Macro Workbook, can I change the default name of a new Excel workbook? Any help you can lend would be appreciated. Henry It sounds like your personal.xls workbook is visible (most people have this workbook opened as a hidden workbook). Open excel with personal.xls the active workbook window|hide and close excel You'll be prompted to save personal.xls (because of that change to hidden). Select yes. Now ...

Word 2007 centering all text
I am working on a document where I want certain sections centered (logo at top, title of article, etc) but the rest to be standard right-alignment. However when I select a certain section of text/image to be centered, it centers everything in the document. It will allow certain sections to be left-aligned or justified without affecting the rest of the document, but centering affects everything. Please help. See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/WholeDocumentReformatted.htm -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.m...

Maintain 1 List... Twice
Good afternoon all, Just wondering if this is possible. I started maintaining a list of what files we kept archived at a storage facility, based on a list that was on paper. I finally got all the boxes typed in, resulting in a list which has all the files in each box, grouped by what box they are in. However, for the sake of searching these files, it's best if I have them alphabetically as well. My solution was to make a copy of the "List" called "Alpha". Alpha contains the list, sorted by surname. Every time I catalogue a new box, I copy it into "Alpha" an...