how to get data automatic moves to next column?

I am using a barcode scanner to read in barcode numbers into excel.  But
everytime after I scan a barcode, excel moves to the cell in the next row.
What I want is moves down to the next column.
Anyone with information please help.

Thankyou very much!
0
dp1 (49)

Hi,

Maybe there is way of setting up Excel and/or the barcode scanner such that
the values go to successive columns rather than rows.  However, the following
formula may be a workaround for your current setup.

If the scanned data are going to, say A1, A2, A3, ......, and you want them
to go to A1, B1, C1 ...., enter the following formula in B1, and fill-in the
formula across the columns (C1, D1, ..........maybe a lot more; some of them
will stay empty and will get filled up as more barcodes are scanned)

=IF(OFFSET($A$1,COLUMN()-1,0)="","",OFFSET($A$1,COLUMN()-1,0))

Note:  The scanned barcodes will still go down the rows, but they will be
copied across ithe columns.

If the first scanned barcode (i.e., the topmost) is not in A1 but in some
other cell, say B7, then enter the following formula in C7,

=IF(OFFSET($B$7,COLUMN()-COLUMN($B$7),0)="","",OFFSET($B$7,COLUMN()-COLUMN($B$7),0))

Change the '$B$7's in the formula (there are fourof them) appropriately.

Regards,
B. R. Ramachandran

"DP" wrote:

> I am using a barcode scanner to read in barcode numbers into excel.  But
> everytime after I scan a barcode, excel moves to the cell in the next row.
> What I want is moves down to the next column.
> Anyone with information please help.
>
> Thankyou very much!
Hi!

Worth having a look at Tools > Options >Edit > Move selection after
enter.

This controls behaviour for keyboard inputs and may well deal with your
inputs.

Alf

--
AlfD
AlfD's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=4785

DP

Just a heads' up but no help for your problem.

Rows run horizontally, columns run vertically.

i.e.  You cannot "move down" to the next column.

You can "move down" to the next row or "move across" to the next column.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 05:48:02 -0700, "DP" <DP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I am using a barcode scanner to read in barcode numbers into excel.  But
>everytime after I scan a barcode, excel moves to the cell in the next row.
>What I want is moves down to the next column.
>Anyone with information please help.
>
>Thankyou very much!

0
Gord

Input data check
Hi I want to check 10 fields to confirm they have data entered into them. Before I print a document. Field1 Not is null Field2 Not Isnull And so on. If any of the fields are blank I want a msgbox to appear listing the field names which have no data. I do not want to set the field to, data required, because there may be a reason why we have been unable to enter the required data. How do I set this up? Thanks Bob Bob, Something like... Use check boxes, combo boxes, text boxes, etc... If IsNull(Me!CheckBox1) Then Msg...

Set the serial number every 15th column
Hi All. I would like to set the serial number every 15th column. For example, A B C .................. 1 2 3 .. .. 15 1 .. .. 30 2 .. .. 45 3 Is there any formula for A column? Thanks in advance SJ In A1 and then copy down =IF(MOD(ROW(),15)<>0,"",ROW()/15) Copy Col A and paste special as values. -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- It'...

Publisher catelog merge- cannot open data source file
whether I try to open the source file or open a new one, I get the message: operation cannot be completed becasue of dialog or database engine failures. Please try again later. Troubleshooting advice suggestd to undate the engine from Windows update - can't find it. Does anyone have more specific troubleshooting advice? This article has a solution: You receive a "The operation cannot be completed because of dialog or data base engine failures" error message when you try to perform a mail merge by using an Outlook 2003 contact folder in Publisher 2003 http://support.mic...

Excluding data points in a chart
Is there some way to specify conditions under which data points should be excluded in a chart? In particular, I have two columns for which I want to create a scatter plot. However, some of the rows are missing data for one or the other column. Is there a simple way to tell Excel to ignore such rows? Jim Hi Jim, 1) With the chart selected, use Tools|Options and open the Chart tab; specify what is to happen with missing values OR 2) Where data is missing enter =NA() -- Bernard Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove CAPS in e-mail address "JM" <anonymous@discussions....

Getting space between text and right border. " " not working.
I have a =NOW() cell formatted as: yyyy.mm.dd.ddd., hh"h"mm but even when I make it: yyyy.mm.dd.ddd., hh"h"mm" " I don't get any more space between the end of the time and the right-hand border and it's printing too close to the edge. What is the fix for this one, pls? Thank you! :oD Try turning wraptext off. It seemed to make a difference in xl2003. StargateFanFromWork wrote: > > I have a =NOW() cell formatted as: > > yyyy.mm.dd.ddd., hh"h"mm > > but even when I make it: > > yyyy.mm.dd.ddd., hh"h&q...

Need to select rows to average based on a value in a different column
Below is an example of my spreadsheet. I'd like to find the average number of users for each "Day of the week" hour combination but I'm not even sure where to start. Date Hour DoW # Users 10/27/2003 10 Mon 11 10/27/2003 11 Mon 11 10/27/2003 13 Mon 10 10/27/2003 14 Mon 11 10/27/2003 15 Mon 9 10/27/2003 16 Mon 9 10/28/2003 8 Tue 5 10/28/2003 9 Tue 6 10/28/2003 10 Tue 4 10/28/2003 11 Tue 8 10/28/2003 13 Tue 7 10/28/2003 14 Tue 7 10/28/2003 15 Tue 7 10/28/2003 16 Tue 10 10/29/2003 8 Wed 7 10/29/2003 9 Wed 10 10/29/2003 10 Wed 11 10/...

How do I get rid of the parantheses in APA style citations?
I would like the APA style citations in the body of the paper to now automatically show parantheses on either side of the author and title. Otherwise the whole bibliography feature is useless. Any ideas? There is no on/off switch for the brackets. Your choices are to either keep them, or remove them altogether. If you want to remove them for all instances, you will have to edit the style by hand. The short version: http://bibword.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=FAQ (especially 6 and 8 are useful) The long version (in case you don't know XSL): The styles are located in th...

Special character in text column
I have a column defined as text field in MS Access 2003. I want to insert a string with prefixed of hex02, followed by Carriage Return, followed by Line Feed and ended with hex03. How do I do that manually? eg. (hex02 character)....This is a test.....(Carriage Return, Line Feed, hex03) Thanks Hex(2) & "....This is a test...." & vbCrLf & Hex(3) -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.mvps.org/access http://www.accessmvp.com "Alan T" <alanNOSPAMpltse@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:u1gDZXnUIHA.4280@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... >...

Comma delimited data conversion to XML
Is there an easy way to convert a string of data to XML format without having to create the xml one field at a time? Sorry I'm a newbie and my xml knowledge is limited. I have tried to search through the documentation in .net but nothing jumps out at me. Sample code would be great! "Larry Williams" <Larry Williams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AC7696F6-EFA4-4C29-8290-F1A4211CC88C@microsoft.com... > Is there an easy way to convert a string of data to XML format without having > to create the xml one field at a time? Certainly, but the easier ...

data space
i found that strange. i checked properties in admin. and found this under general- size- 202 mb space available 0.00 mb usage 100% my data base size should be 2 gig. my space available is saying 0mb yet the program is not shuting down. it continues to save journals and sales data. Can anyone help because that is starnge to me or am i reading something wrong. i am running ver. 1.3. what is also strange to me is that the size of the data base is decreasing. Can someone help. This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_Nex...

public folder failed to move
Hi, I am doing SBS 2003 to 2008 migration. I am in the step of moving public folder to the destination server. No any error message, the move stop quickly. I checked Public folder instances, everthing is still there. What could be the problem? Need help! Thanks in advance! Lisa need to restart Exchange system manager, now it's empty now. :) "Lisa" wrote: > Hi, > > I am doing SBS 2003 to 2008 migration. I am in the step of moving public > folder to the destination server. No any error message, the move stop > quickly. I checked Publi...

How do I sort multiple columns of of numerical and alphanumerical.
Example: Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4 Column 5 1 9 09A1 0023 delete 3 11 11D4 1057 revise I would like to sort first on column 1, then 2, then 3, then 4. When I tried this, it messed up all the numbers in column 4. Help please Select all 5 columns then sort by column 1. Then sort by column 2 as first sort key, column 2 as second, and column 3 as third. -- HTH Bob Phillips (replace somewhere in email address with gmail if mailing direct) "slowmo" <slowmo@discus...

Data file did not close properly #2
I have read all kinds of solutions to this error. Has any thing difinitive been offered that solves the problem. Appreciated Jerry There isnt a difinative solution as the problem can be caused by a number of differing things "Jerry" <jerry@home.home> wrote in message news:eRfw6Cs1IHA.5300@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... >I have read all kinds of solutions to this error. Has any thing difinitive >been offered that solves the problem. Appreciated > > Jerry > "Jerry" <jerry@home.home> wrote in message news:eRfw6Cs1IHA.5300@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...

Data tables ? Circular references ?
Hi, If I setup a data table as follows: A1=0 A2=0 A3=A1+A2 Then in B3 place the formulae A3+1 and copy it along to K3 And in A4 place the formulae A3+1 and copy it down to A13 Finishing off by selecting the range A3:K13 and choosing Data->Table, Row input cell = A1, Column Input cell = A2 The results in the intersection start from 2 and end at 1.7E+11 Now if I Edit->Copy, PasteValues the formulae in cells B3:K3, and likewise value the formulae in A4:A13 the results change twice over, once for each Copy-PasteValues sequence. What's going on ? Regards Steve Think the ...

Data showing up in Cells as ####
I'm trying to enter an amount in a Column labeled "Limit"...I've tried changing the cell's format but no matter what I do, the data shows up as ####. How can I change this to reflect the actual numbers? -- MCD Increase the column width >-----Original Message----- >I'm trying to enter an amount in a Column labeled "Limit"...I've tried changing the cell's format but no matter what I do, the data shows up as ####. How can I change this to reflect the actual numbers? >-- >MCD >. > Or reduce the Font size?? anonymous@discussi...

Add multiple new records based on quantity duplicating data
I am creating a simple form to allow a new user to list a part number and requested quantity. Upon executing a submit button, I would need the part number value added/duplicated into an existing table as many times as the requested quantity. However, the requested quantity can not exceed 999. Simplest solution if you are familiar with code would be to OpenRecordset, and AddNew in a loop. An alternative would be to create a table containing 999 records, and use it as the source table for an Append query statement, with criteria limiting it to the desired number. This link explains how t...

How To Find "x" In A Column And Show "y" In Cell "z"
Example: A1 = aircraft type B1 = flight time C1 = jet category Is there a way to maintain a list somewhere in the book of aircraf types that are of the jet variety so that when "A2" is checked agains the list it knows whether or not it is in fact a "jet" and will ente the time (which is in "B2") under the jet category ("C2"). Otherwis it simply will ignore adding flight time to the "C" column? Did I just confuse everyone? Thanks in advance. thanks r -- rcan ----------------------------------------------------------------------- rcane&...

Too few columns
Hi - I am trying to put together a year planner with one column per day, but have hit the limit of 256 columns - 110 columns too few. I have tried arranging the planner the other way, ie one row per day but it is not very user-friendly. Is there any way around the maximum number of columns? I have also tried splitting the year into 2 6-month calendars, but have hit major problems with linking information from one to the other. Any help would be much appreciated. Happy new year to all Bilbo Hi Bilbo 256 is an absulute limit in Excel, sorry. -- HTH. Best wishes Harald Followup to newsgr...

data source for chart
I have spreadsheets with a lot of data in them. I have multiple columns. The two columns I need to compare right now have initials in one column and dates in another column. The initials are nurses and the date column is a denial date. I need to create a chart that will show a possible trend of certain nursing staff having a higher number of denials. I know I highlight those two columns, but I think I have to change the date data to something that can be counted??? Please advise. I am desperate. and there are more of these kind of charts to come that I will have to do. Thank yo...

Counting Rows/Columns for Copying Formulas
I have two spreadsheets in a workbook as follows: Source Worksheet contains by customer each product it purchases and the sales for each product (see sample below). Not all customers buy each product. There are also new customers added/deleted each month and new products added/deleted each month. Column A Column B Column C January February..... Customer A Product Code 1 Customer A Product Code 1 100 Customer A Product Code 2 200 Customer A Product Code 3 300 Customer B Product Code 1 500 Customer B ...

Finding Unique Data
I have 3 coumns in a table. all 3 columns have duplicate data. But I want to find unique data in column A only. How do i do this in ACESS 2007 ? Please help. hi Rumy, On 02.02.2010 15:40, Rumy wrote: > I have 3 coumns in a table. all 3 columns have duplicate data. But I want to > find unique data in column A only. How do i do this in ACESS 2007 ? Please > help. Maybe so: SELECT * FROM yourTable WHERE (A <> B) AND (A <> C) mfG --> stefan <-- Under query types, you have one for Find Umatched Data. That will tell you which data is unique. --...

Getting the High and Low Tides from a Series of Data
Hello, I have a long list of data for tide levels which is like as follows: Date/Time Tide Level Now, I want to extract from this long series of data all the high tides and low tides, which in mathematical terms is to extract all the local maximums and local minimums, together with the associated Date/Time from the data. I have another programme that generates this series of data basing on a set of parameters, but I don't know what the function is, so I can't really find the 1st order derivative and set it to zero to get all the roots, etc. How should I go about doing this? Us...

Get char array from Bitmap...
Hi, is there a way to obtain a device indipendent image ( for example in array of char /byte )?I need this because I want to send the image to a remote client that is not an mfc/VC++ program. I'm tryng with something like that in the sender: /---------------------------------------------------/ char* buffer2; dim=(width*height)*2;//16 bit buffer2=new char[dim]; int p=Bmp.GetBitmapBits( dim , buffer2 ); /---------------------------------------------------/ And in the receiver I'll use setBitmapBits... So I'm working with an DDB. I'm newbye of Bitmap working, so I don't ...

Moving Office applications around
When installing Mac Office 2004, it installs everything in a seperate folder /Applications/Microsoft Office 2004/ ... I personally like a clean apps folder and no subfolders, since I don't have a million applications installed. Most likely (can anyone confirm this? it is, after all, still microsoft) moving the Word/Excel/Powerpoint.app files to a different location will not effect it's operation. However, I'm left with all those other files like Clipart and Shared Applications ... can I move those somewhere else too? Any help regarding the moving of (parts of) Mac Office 2004 aft...

Insert Data Generate Date into an SSRS Report Header
I generate SSIS package multiple table data loads, and write a record to a data generation table. I wish to insert the last data generation date from a SQL Server into the header (or footer) of an SSRS report. Does anyone have thoughts on best practice for this ? Thank you, Issue SELECT TOP 1 datecolumn FROM tbl ORDER BY datecolumn DESC "jm27102" <jm27102@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:29B2B300-655E-42D7-B397-DEEB5FE2525D@microsoft.com... >I generate SSIS package multiple table data loads, and write a record to a > data generation ta...