how to find and replace a symbol in my worksheet

I need  help with finding and then replacing a symbol in my worksheet. In the
find and replace box there is no way to insert a symbol there. I have tried
to cut and paste as well as to insert the symbol in the find box. If anyone
has an idea on how to replace a bullet with a comma please let me know.
Thanks
TC
0
tc1 (130)

TC

In the Replace What: box you would hold down the ALT key then hit the ascii
code number on the NumPad.

Bullets are usually ALT + 0149

So.........select the cells.

Edit>Replace

what: ALT + 0149  you will not see anything in the what: box, but it is there.

with: ,

Replace All.

If the bullets are not ALT + 0149, download Chip Pearson's CELLVIEW add-in.

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/CellView.htm

With it you can determine what codes are in a cell.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Tue, 3 May 2005 08:42:04 -0700, "TC" <TC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I need  help with finding and then replacing a symbol in my worksheet. In the
>find and replace box there is no way to insert a symbol there. I have tried
>to cut and paste as well as to insert the symbol in the find box. If anyone
>has an idea on how to replace a bullet with a comma please let me know.
>Thanks
>TC

0
Gord
5/3/2005 4:41:20 PM
If you can't enter the symbol directly, you should still be able to enter its
numeric code, which you can do from the numeric keypad. I think the code for
a bullet is 0149.
Make sure the Nmm Lock key is on. Go to the find/replace dialog box. In the
'find what' box, press the Alt key and type 0149. Then in the replace with
box, enter the comma. Then click replace.

Sanford

"TC" wrote:

> I need  help with finding and then replacing a symbol in my worksheet. In the
> find and replace box there is no way to insert a symbol there. I have tried
> to cut and paste as well as to insert the symbol in the find box. If anyone
> has an idea on how to replace a bullet with a comma please let me know.
> Thanks
> TC
Sandford and Gord thank you both for the help it worked great. I was able to
find the code using  =code() but I could not figure out how to enter  the
value.
thanks TC
"Sanford Lefkowitz" wrote:

> If you can't enter the symbol directly, you should still be able to enter its
> numeric code, which you can do from the numeric keypad. I think the code for
> a bullet is 0149.
> Make sure the Nmm Lock key is on. Go to the find/replace dialog box. In the
> 'find what' box, press the Alt key and type 0149. Then in the replace with
> box, enter the comma. Then click replace.
>
> Sanford
>
> "TC" wrote:
>
> > I need  help with finding and then replacing a symbol in my worksheet. In the
> > find and replace box there is no way to insert a symbol there. I have tried
> > to cut and paste as well as to insert the symbol in the find box. If anyone
> > has an idea on how to replace a bullet with a comma please let me know.
> > Thanks
> > TC
0
tc1 (130)

Find & Replace #2
I am trying to change a value (formated with accounting format) I typed in the value and formating and chose values in the Lookin box for find. I can find items but when I try to replace I cannot chose values in the lookin box just formulas and even though it finds the value I want to replace it will not let me replace it says it cannot find and will not replace the value. Any ideas? Thanks Don't type any formatting into that box. If a cell has the value 25 in it, and it is formatted as �25.00, then you cannot search for �25.00 as it does not exist. You need to search for 25. ...

Find duplicates
I have two columns that I need to find the duplicates so I can delete them. I don't mind doing it in two bites, to do one field first then the second. Is there a formula I can do this with easily? I have 8,000 records and probably 6,000 are duplicates! Many thanks in anticipation, as I could find nothing in the HELP file. -- Take a look here: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm and see Deleting Duplicate Rows: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/deleting.htm In article <#0h5#ecSDHA.632@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, "Ben" <eat_your_spam@nomail.com&g...

Totals in worksheete groups
How do I total worksheet groups? I have a series of continguous worksheets. The first is called Summary, the rest A, B, C, D, E etc. I want to total cell A1 from worksheets A,B,C,D,E etc and put the total in Cell A1 in the summary -- Thanks BJ =SUM(A:E!A1) top apply it, select the cell where yoiu want the totals, type =SUM( click the first sheet tab (A) and cell A1, hold down shift and click the last (E) press enter -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "BJ" <BJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:75FEEE17-8EE6-4423-AC63-36CFF9FCFC5D@microsoft.com... > How do I ...

Printing different Worksheets to PDF
Is it possible to print selected worksheets to one single PDF file? More specifically, can I print pages 1 and 3 from 10 differen worksheets into one single PDF? Please help the noob. Le -- SirLoi ----------------------------------------------------------------------- SirLoin's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1593 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27413 ...

How do i find the slope of a graph in excel? #3
Firstly you posted your message 3 times without waiting for an answer. Secondly you left your message body empty. The place for a question is in the message body, not just in the subject line. Thirdly, you didn't tell us which part of the results of Excel help for the SLOPE function were causing you difficulty. -- David Biddulph "Tunav" <Tunav@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:46DEEC3D-F684-4718-B1AC-B7644E01702F@microsoft.com... > Tunav, Simle algebra can be used to answer your question. Pick two points on the line: 1st point (X1, Y1) 2nd poin...

Outlook cannot find Exchange Server #2
For some reason, out of the blue, I am no longer able to connect (via dialup) to our exchange server using outlook 2000. I Can check e-mail from another computer so I know there is nothing wrong with the e-mail or the dialup connection. I am running Windows 2k. Also, I cannot use the "Check Name" option. Here is the error message that I receive: The name could not be resolved. the microsoft exchange address book was unable to log on to the microsoft exchange server computer. Contact your system administrator if the problem persists. Any ideas? When you are dialed in, can...

Option to print worksheets in the same page
There should have a print option to allow printing more than one worksheet in the same page, sharing the same piece of paper for all worksheets and saving paper... Thanks. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us...

Windows XP Rundll.exe file bad
Windows XP - Do not know what version or kind - it will not let me in to any system files - - *_Rundll.exe_file_* bad but cannot delete and replace . . I delete it but it comes back - I try to copy and paste newer one but old one still there. -- laytondm ------------------------------------------------------------------------ laytondm's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/228809.htm View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-xp-support/1343887.htm http://forums.techarena.in On Sat, 5 Jun 2010 08:04:16 -0500, laytondm wrote in message <news:layto...

Naming a worksheet after a cell valu
I have a several worsheets in a workbook. I would like to be able t run a macro that would rename many of the sheets based on the values i a range of cells. If the values change then I would like to be able t change the worksheet names with a manual macro. Any help would be greatly appreciated Jerr -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com You can run a simple macro like this: Sub ChangeName() Dim ws As Worksheet Dim i As Integer i = 1 For Each ws In ThisWorkbook.Worksheets With ws If .Name <> "Sheet1" Then .Name = Sheets("Sheet1&...

How can I replace data in excel ?...Data positionsis a bit complic
Hello, I have in a cell : 250-PSA-AD46 I would like to replace 250 & AD46 by a space and keep the dashes and PSA in the middle. That was an example of the data I have ..Generically I would like to keep the data no matter what it is in the middle, and replace the others by a space!!! Thx ...a lot!!! Lets say your data is in cell A1: =REPLACE(REPLACE(A1,1,3,),6,4, -- renega ----------------------------------------------------------------------- renegan's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1045 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/show...

Changing URL from Ticker Symbol
Many of partners in Japan want to changing URL from Ticker Symbol in order to jump to a web site in Japan instead of http://moneycentral.msn.com/ . ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowse...

find text characters
am trying to have a formula to return a value if the number of text characters in another cell is more than 3 thanks Hi! Try something like this: =IF(AND(ISTEXT(A1),LEN(A1)>3),"Yes","No") Biff "Micayla Bergen" <MicaylaBergen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:52C88B59-BFF6-47A6-82DD-60FB0F5E23B6@microsoft.com... > am trying to have a formula to return a value if the number of text > characters in another cell is more than 3 > thanks ...

How to find number of selected files in CFileDialog
hi friends, if any one can tell me how to find the no. of selected files in CFiledialog before traversing the whole list of filename through POSITION data structure. Regards ravi in short, no. But why not just traverse the list once keeping a count then traverse again and do whatever you need to with the selections. I presume you need the total in order to prime some other variable. BTW if you're worried about the overhead of traversing twice, forget it. In comparison to the time it took the user to click on the files its' miniscule. Even compared to the time it took for ...

Inserting worksheet in Word
When I insert a worksheet into a Word document I can't view it all. If I pull the handles to reveal the rest of the worksheet I see it but it "snaps" back to a smaller size. There is lots of room within the margins of the Word document for this worksheet to be displayed on one page. Why does it insist on only displaying part of it in Word? Connie Martin ...

Paragraph symbols all over the place!
I was just about to start a new email and there are paragraph symbols every time I hit enter. And a dot in between every word. I have no idea how i activated this or how to undo it. Can anyone help? Thanks! -- Linda M "Linda M" <Linda.M.3b4c30f@outlookbanter.com> wrote in message news:Linda.M.3b4c30f@outlookbanter.com... > > I was just about to start a new email and there are paragraph symbols > every time I hit enter. And a dot in between every word. I have no > idea how i activated this or how to undo it. Can anyone help? > See my sig.... -- As...

Making a List from a worksheet database
I have a worksheet which is a database of things people have ordered. Each Row has a customer number, date ordered, item number, item description. customer name, customer address (I only have to enter the customer number, and item number - the other fields fill in automatically using vlookup). I'd like to have another worksheet for a year end type summary where I can put the customer number on it in a given field and have it search through the database and insert on the worksheet anything that particular customer may have purchased. Is this possible? How? Thanks Hi! Piece o...

Changing default search/find in Items Form
I'm new to Great Plains and came from developing Access based applications. I notice when I create a PO, then open the Items form to add itmes to it, there are two things I'd like to change: 1. GP defaults to "Description" as the "find by" default. I would like to change that to Item number instead. We will have several thousand items but most users will know them by Vendor and the 1st few characters of the item number (starts with type search) not description. I can perform some extra steps to change it to this but when I close out and then come back in...

macro that finds text and keeps only part of it
I have a spreadsheet that I'm trying to run a seach on to find a specific sting of test. I can run the search but, now I want to ake it one step further. Is it possible to search for a sting of text and then delete part of the sting and leave some of the text? Then is it possible to do this a macro? Thanks for the help. Find and replace won't work? ************ Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "john mcmichael" <johnmcmichael@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E213CDBC-571B-4CCB-B925-FD95F4DF0CD9@microsoft.com... >I have a spreadsheet that I...

Advanced Find Gripe
When users type in a query, they would like to just hit the Enter key to initiate the search without having to click the Go button. Is there any way to give the Go button default focus on the form so that when the Enter key is hit, the search will begin. I have learned to live with this flaw by hitting the "Tab" key, then Enter, and that works. "Bobby" wrote: > When users type in a query, they would like to just hit the Enter key to > initiate the search without having to click the Go button. Is there any way > to give the Go button default focus on the ...

Find and Replace Wild Card Characters
I can use the / in front of an * or ? in MS Word to replace these wild card characters but it doesn't work in Word. I have tried using the char equivalent and holding down the alt key and entering the ascii value but with no success. I'm pretty sure I could probably use some vba function to do this, but I have many clients that ask me how to do this. Is there any simple way to do this in Excel. Please Help!!! Jeannie Flores Hi Folks, Never Mind, I found the answer, and just in case someone else needs it, the answer is to put a ~ character in front of the * or ?. Thanks...

type the apple symbol and command symbol
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel how do I type the apple and command symbols when I do not find them in the special characters? <br><br>thanks for any help. Use the Character Viewer (see the OS X Help...) The trick is to know what the character names are in Unicode, so you can search for them. The "command" symbol ⌘ is officially the "Place of Interest" sign, in the MS Gothic font as Unicode character 2318. The "Apple" logo  is a much greater challenge. The Unicode code for the Apple sy...

Sum the value across multi worksheets
I would like to sum the value of several worksheets. Exmple; 1st Qtr, 2nd Qtr... etc. Have total of all 4 Qtrs. appear on 4th Qtr. worksheet. I have tried using =SUM(sheet1:sheet4!F35) Thanks, that WILL work if the value desired is in f35 on each sheet. It will sum sh1,sh2,sh3,sh4 -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software Granite Shoals, TX donaldb@281.com "Keith F." <kfindley@evapar.com> wrote in message news:02de01c35224$466a55a0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > I would like to sum the value of several worksheets. > Exmple; 1st Qtr, 2nd Qtr... etc. Have total of all 4 > Qtrs. app...

find e-mail support?
When I go from the product page to the support option, it eventually = leads=20 to the MS support page, where you have to pick your country and then = pick=20 the product you are seeking support on. There is no Office 2004 Mac=20 option, or any other 2004 Mac (word, excel) option. So, I put in word, = and=20 went on. Then you need to put in product code. At that point, it tells = me=20 my code is for Office 2004, and that's not the product I checked on the = prior=20 page. So, it's impossible to get any e-mail support. On 20/5/04 5:21 pm, in article fcbd01c43e86$87d17f10$a501280a...

CSV file import into worksheets
I have about 15 csv files I'd like to import into Excel. When I drag a csv file into Excel, it opens a new workbook for each. I want to have it import onto separate worksheets, within one workbook. I tried creating a bunch of blank sheets, and drag-drop onto the tabs, but it still created a new workbook. I'd like to avoid the select-copy-paste steps... Each csv file is in a different language, so maybe it does not like that, though mixed languages should work (it does in Wordpad..) French, German, Swedish, English, etc. Roger, Proceed as before where you have one csv file per wo...

In Execl select unique rows from 2 different worksheets (or workb.
In Excel, is there any way to compare 2 different worksheets (or workbooks) and select only the unique rows that are in both? me also i loock about if you have any info com to you please inform me if you can thanks -- Ahmed El Hadary Financial Analyst mobail no is 0974-5289491 "mcrmcr05" wrote: > In Excel, is there any way to compare 2 different worksheets (or workbooks) > and select only the unique rows that are in both? Chip Pearson has lots of ways to work with duplicates/uniques at: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm mcrmcr05 wrote: > > In Excel, ...