How to find a result in an array in the same row as a minimum resu

I have temperature data for many years and am trying to find the minimum
temperature for a given day.  I can find the min temperature on a given day
with this:
{=MIN(IF(TEXT($A$7:$A$2001,"mmm,d")=X127,$D$7:$D$2001))} where X127 has the
day of the month I'm searching for and the low temperatures are in column
"D".  But now I want the day it occurred which is in column "A" of the same
row as the min temp.  How do I get that?  I thought this would work;
{=ADDRESS(ROWS(D7:D2001=Z127),1)} but that gives me an erroneous address.

Another question:  If I have the correct result from the 'ADDRESS()'
function above, how do I access the data in that cell that is referenced as a
text value?

Thanks for your help!

Doug

Use Index/match - set for an exact match
The Index part of it is the col result that you want returned

You could try something like this, array-entered* (untested):
=INDEX($A$7:$A$2001,MATCH(MIN(IF(TEXT($A$7:$A$2001,"mmm,d")=X127,$D$7:$D$2001)),IF(TEXT($A$7:$A$2001,"mmm,d")=X127,$D$7:$D$2001),0))
*press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to confirm the formula
Success? wave it, hit YES below
--
Max
Singapore
"dbasmb" wrote:
> I have temperature data for many years and am trying to find the minimum
> temperature for a given day.  I can find the min temperature on a given day
> with this:
> {=MIN(IF(TEXT($A$7:$A$2001,"mmm,d")=X127,$D$7:$D$2001))} where X127 has the
> day of the month I'm searching for and the low temperatures are in column
> "D".  But now I want the day it occurred which is in column "A" of the same
> row as the min temp.  How do I get that?  I thought this would work;
> {=ADDRESS(ROWS(D7:D2001=Z127),1)} but that gives me an erroneous address.
>
> Another question:  If I have the correct result from the 'ADDRESS()'
> function above, how do I access the data in that cell that is referenced as a
> text value?
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> Doug
Max:

Yeah!! That's the ticket!!!  Thanks for your help.

Is there any easier way to answer the last part of my question??  Given an
address in text, such as '$A$2000', how do I use that to get the contents of
$A$2000??

Thanks again,

Doug
In B1 you have the text  $A$2000

In C1 enter  =INDIRECT(B1)

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 5 May 2010 13:46:02 -0700, dbasmb <dbasmb@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Max:
>
>Yeah!! That's the ticket!!!  Thanks for your help.
>
>Is there any easier way to answer the last part of my question??  Given an
>address in text, such as '$A$2000', how do I use that to get the contents of
>$A$2000??
>
>Thanks again,
>
>Doug

0
Gord

Find Duplicate names and delate

Find a Value the first Time It Occurs

Finding a Median

Check if a row is empty
I have a table that can contain emtpy rows. Row is considered empty when all the columns (except the primary) are NULLs. Is there a function in Sql Server to test if a row is empty? On Jun 17, 2:42=A0pm, sChapman <sumant...@googlemail.com> wrote: > I have a table that can contain emtpy rows. Row is considered empty > when all the columns (except the primary) are NULLs. Is there a > function in Sql Server to test if a row is empty? select * from tables where col1 is null and col2 is null and col3 is null..... so on Amish Shah http://shahamishm.blogspot.com Pe...

Find/Replace in RichEdit 2.0

Find (but not find)

Table Row Height and Column Width
Is there a way to exactly set the row height and column width in Publisher 2003? For instance, I want all the rows to be .25 inches high or 16 points high -- can I set this? No... You could create ruler guides. Right-click a ruler guide, click format ruler guides. You then can adjust your table rows by snapping to the guides. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Lori T" <Lori T@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2631297F-839A-4699-B4F6-45601B771E1A@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to exactly set the row height and column width in Publisher > 2003...

Finding an event

Array to named range conversion...
The intention of my macro is to put all the wb's sheet names into named range as per the code below. Then, use the named range as th list in a "data validation" cell, which will use the named range as th list. I've successfully been able to convert the array into a range, althoug i can only populate the range horizontally (columns x 1 row). if i tr to populate a vertical range, i get all the same value (the value o index 1). I get similar results with the named range. And when I try t use it in data validation, I get an error. My workaround is to use the code to put the v...

cannot find database

option to insert column and row breaks
There should have an option to insert column breaks for printing. For example, when printing a sheet with only one column, but with 200 rows, it could be automatically broken into 4 columns of 50 rows, all fitting in just one page, instead of 4. This would save paper and allow easy reading of this kind of sheets. The same logic could be applied to rows... Thanks. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see ...

Trapping a NO FIND after a find

Format only parts of a formula result?
I created a formula composed mostly of text, including a small formula. This formula: ="The products would be $"&ROUND(E28/1000,0)&"K but since new revenues are enabled almost instantly," is intended to produce: The products would be $1335K but since new revenues are enabled almost instantly, Is there a way to BOLD or ITALICIZE the "$1335K" result but leave the other text unbolded? Scott -- sdubose99 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ sdubose99's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action...

Excel - Array Formulas - Freeze
Hi all I have a big problem. It takes about 30 minutes to save my excel fil because I have many array formula: about 32 000! So do you have a ti to accelerate the computing process? Is a VBA function would do i faster? Here is an example of what I use: Col A contain unique numbers Sheet 1: Col A Col B Col C Row1 001 123 9i9 Row2 005 456 8u8 Row3 003 406 8ur etc... to +8000 In sheet 2, I have to check if the data exist in sheet 1. Col D contai Yes (data is in the sheet1) or No... Examples: Col D check if the data in Col B is the same in sheet 1 Col...

limiting results
I hope I can explain this properly. I have a sheet with 100 results but I only want to display the last 4 results on another sheet if there are more than 4 results - so the results displayed would be 97,98,99,100. Anyone have a suggestion? thanks JT On Fri, 9 Dec 2011 20:02:11 -0600, "JT" <grouch_45@hotmail.com> wrote: >I hope I can explain this properly. > >I have a sheet with 100 results but I only want to display the last 4 >results on another sheet if there are more than 4 results - so the results >displayed would be 97,98,99,100. > >Anyone ...

How do I find the out of office reply?

Updating the row source of a combo
Hello, I have a form which contains a comboBox representative of one of my fields. The options available in this comboBox are dependant on the other feilds for the current row. Therefore I use Form_Current to update the row source for the combo. The problem is that this update seems to happen too late. As a result, I sometimes have nothing in my comboBox's text box, even when I know a value should exist there. If I click in the combo's text box the correct value will then appear. How might I solve this problem. Thanks, Aine. On 28 May 2007 07:00:45 -0700, aine_canby@yahoo.com wrote...

Ignore DIV/0 Errors in Array?
Hi all... I've got a spreadsheet that looks something like this: Score1 Score2 AvgScore 1 1 1 2 1 1.5 NULL NULL #DIV/0 The spreadsheet takes two scores we enter an averages them. The trick is that the spreadsheet is being fed from our database and people who haven't been 'scored' yet get a NULL. On a separate form, I am trying to run a =PERCENTILE function on the AvgScore column to see what our top x% score is, etc. The problem is, so long as the NULLs are in the data, there are DIV/0 cells in the array a...

rotate rows and columns in a spreadsheet
Hey, I have a very large spreadsheet. I want to rotate all the data in it 90 degrees, as in, I want row 1 to become the 60th column, and row 2 to be the 59th column, etc... all the way to the last row becoming the first column... Is there an easy way to do this? Copy the range, pasespecial transpose values, then above the range put the numbers 1 to 60, then sort the whole table horizontally based on that first row. HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP <juicymixx@mailinator.com> wrote in message news:1119983594.460463.221120@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > > Hey, > > I have...

Last cell in row range with a result
I need to see if anyone can tell me if it's possible to find the last cell in a range that has a result and not just a formulas. We have this file that has a row of formulas as each cell it a different day of the month. In another file I need to pull the current cell and at this time I have to change the cell reference. Please let me know, thanks if you have a row of data , say row 3, with no included blanks, then the last value in that row is: =INDEX($3:$3,COUNTA($3:$3)) -- Gary''s Student - gsnu200713 Gary''s Student wrote: > if you have a row of data , say ...