How to easily collapse columns?

Hi,

Is there a way to hide and unhide columns easily without using the menus. I
have a large spreadsheet and I would like to navigate it more easily.

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Grd (32)

you might adapt this to your needs. You need to create a button and name it
"toggleit"

Sub HideG_UnhideG()
 If Columns("c:j").EntireColumn.Hidden = True Then
    Columns("c:j").EntireColumn.Hidden = False
    ActiveSheet.Shapes("toggleit").TextFrame.Characters.Text = _
      "HIDE"
 Else
    Columns("c:j").EntireColumn.Hidden = True
    ActiveSheet.Shapes("Toggleit").TextFrame.Characters.Text = _
      "SHOW"
 End If
'can use =not if only ONE change.....
'Columns("g").EntireColumn.Hidden = Not Columns("g").EntireColumn.Hidden
End Sub

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software
"Grd" <Grd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to hide and unhide columns easily without using the menus.
> have a large spreadsheet and I would like to navigate it more easily.
>
> Any help appreciated
>
> Thanks

Don
9/2/2005 1:52:54 PM
You can select the columns to hide and press Ctrl-0  (that's a zero)

You can unhide by selecting the 2 columns that flank the hidden columns and
pressing Ctrl-Shift-0  (also a zero)

Alternatively, if it's always the same columns you want to hide, you can
select the columns and then use Data->Group and Outline to group them.
You'll see a new bad above your column headers with a button labeled with a
minus sign.  Clicking the button will hide the columns & change the button to
a plus sign.  Click it again and the columns are displayed

"Grd" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to hide and unhide columns easily without using the menus. I
> have a large spreadsheet and I would like to navigate it more easily.
>
> Any help appreciated
>
> Thanks

DukeCarey (494)
9/2/2005 3:13:02 PM
G,

You may be able to use Excel's grouping.  Then you can collapse (hide) a
column, or group of columns.  Select a group of columns you'll want to
group.  Data - Group and Outline - Group.  Now the familiar outline symbol
will appear at the top, with buttons to collapse or expand the columns.  A
group can't be immediately adjacent to, or very near another group.
--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com

"Grd" <Grd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to hide and unhide columns easily without using the menus.
> have a large spreadsheet and I would like to navigate it more easily.
>
> Any help appreciated
>
> Thanks

someone798 (944)

Sorting 7 columns
How do I sort more then 4 columns? I've set up a worksheet that sort columns in a base 1000 number system. I want to use the sheet t organize Ideas that I get for creative writing, so to compile the Idea in chronological order. I need to sort more then 4 columns to make it usable worksheet. How Do I sort more then 4 columns, or get around th problem +------------------------------------------------------------------- |Filename: testtwo.txt |Download: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=3471 +-----------------------------...

Richedit:Display the content in two or more columns.(not buy)
Dear all: In the CRicheditCtrl, how can I display the rtf file in two or more columns, such as MSWord? Which version? If can't, what should I do to meet this requirement? Thanks. cowly cowly, I doubt the RTF-control can do this directly - and indeedm a quick test saving a Word file as RTF, loading it into WordPad seems to confirm this. You might have some luck by using two RTF-controls side-by-side, trying to synchronize them, but given the hassles of - for example - variable height lines, this will problably be much work and a brittle result. In your situation, I might have...

Separating text into new columns
Hi, I am having a problem splitting my delimited text file into ne columns. What I have to do is take several survey results (all in long string of text) and give each survey its own column so I ca analyize it. So what I need to do is, at the end of the first survey have some sort of a column break or something to that effect so th next set of data places itself in a new column. Here is a smal sample of what the data looks like: 9.)|Infrastructure|ACCEPTED|Type your comments here.| 10.)|Infrastructure|ACCEPTED|Type your comments here.| Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 12:16:32 -0500 (EST) In th...

Column names
Is there any code to convert column(number) to column(letters), and V.V. e.g. 27 for AA, AB for 28 Thanks =COLUMN(AA:AA) -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "daniel chen" <danchen@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:eRRce.675942$w62.535613@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net... > Is there any code to convert column(number) to column(letters), and V.V. > e.g. 27 for AA, AB for 28 > Thanks > Hi, Peo Great! Thanks. How about the other way? i.e. 27 for AA "Peo Sjoblom" <terre08@mvps.org> wrote in message news:%23MpiXScTFHA.2560@TK2MSFTNG...

Find objects referencing deleted columns
Is there a script or tool that can return all views and stored procedures that reference columns that have been deleted or renamed? SoccerFan@community.nospan (SoccerFancommunitynospan@discussions.microsoft.com) writes: > Is there a script or tool that can return all views and stored procedures > that reference columns that have been deleted or renamed? The dependency information in SQL Server is not very reliable, and if you have already dropped the target object/columns, it is even worse. You can do: SELECT 'EXEC sp_refreshview ' + quotename(s.name) + ...

Moving Folders Easily
Is there a way to move a mail folder without dragging and dropping. E.g, let's say I have hundreds of folders and want to move the "Alan Adams" folder into a folder called "Seldom Contacted People." Presently I drag the Alan Adams folder while my folder list scrolls along until I get to Seldom Contacted People. It takes a long time and the Alan Adams folder could accidentally drop into one of 100s of folders along the way. Note, I'm not asking how to move an item in in folder using "Move To." That's easy. I'm asking how I can easily m...

entering value in column A
Hello, My users requested this functionality: They enter values in, say, column A. Column B should be filled automatically accordingly by executing some VBA-code (querying a database). Problem is that column A also might be filled by VBA-code - meaning that above functionality only should trigger if the user fills in column A. (I wonder if if is possible to differentiate between these cases). I'm not quite sure if I should use a Worksheet_Change() or Worksheet_SelectionChange() event. Or is there another more appropriate way to handle this requirement? We're using Office 2007. than...

Controls collapsed with outline
We have a problem with a column of checkbox controls linked to cells. When a group of rows is collapsed using the outline feature, the controls in the collapsed portion of the column are eventually all stacked on top of each other. Then, when the outline is re-expanded, the checkbox controls are no longer on top of the cell they were linked to in the column before collapsing the outline. Instead, the whole group of controls is stacked over a single cell at the bottom of the collapsed section. How do we link the controls to the cells so that they will reappear over the pro...

Collapsible Panel
Hi All, I am trying to develop a collapsible panel using MFC (without ..NET). But So far no improvement. Google has lots of applications using ..NET. But how do i develop collapsible panels using pure MFC? Regards Soumya "Collapsible panel" is quite vague. What exactly are you talking about. Details please. "Daya" <soumya.dharmarajan@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1144732451.583909.211570@t31g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > Hi All, > I am trying to develop a collapsible panel using MFC (without > .NET). But So far no improvement. Google ...

automatically select cell in another column
Hi, I have a question. Suppose you have three columns. R1 Col1 Col2 Col3 R2 5 100 20 R3 10 200 R4 25 300 R5 30 50 R6 35 0 R7 40 0 I want to calculate the value in Col3 (20 in this case) with a value in Col1 for which the corresponding value in Col2 is just before 0. That is, Multiply 20 with 30 (R6Col2=0, so select R5Col1). Now if I change the values in Col2, the calculated result should reflect the change automatically. I am wondering if it is possible to do this in Excel, peferably without writing a macro! Thanks. -ab Hi try the following (if...

retreiving values by row and column number within a table?????
im making a table that looks a lot like a multiplication chart. but the numbers represent miles. for example, the value in column 9 row 7 = 110. i have over 9000 seperate values. and i need to find out how i can retrieve a specified value within the sheet givin the row and column number. can someone point me to a good tutorial or point me in the right direction. Slumbering Gorilla wrote: > im making a table that looks a lot like a multiplication chart. but the > numbers represent miles. for example, the value in column 9 row 7 = 110. > i have over 9000 seperate values. and i ne...

Excel 2003 seems to sort column of date, some by month & some by y
Hi, I inherited an Access 2003 database where I reformatted all the date to mm/dd/yyyy. I then copied it to Excel 2003 and sorted by date. For some strange reason, I ended up with 2 sections, 1 sorted by the mm and the other by the yyyy. I reformatted the column by date but it still has the same problem. Can anyone please help me with this? Thank you. Probably the section sorted on mm was not recognized as dates and sorted as text. Maybe your input was in dd/mm/yyyy format, on a machine wuth US settings. Then 13/01/2001, meaning Jan 13 2001, but will not be recognized as date be...

can i reload data onto laptop easily
Hello all, Is is possible to reload data onto a laptop client easy enough? I have finally got it to go offline of course my data groups werent correct so i have al load of record unavailable on my contacts. Can I just wipe it again and reload? I cannot see any function to do this and of course i am not going to delete the records on the laptop!!!!! thanks Una Hi, Una, This might help: You can look at the "Working with Records and Activities in Microsoft CRM Client for Outlook" topic in the Microsoft CRM Help file. If you scroll down, there is a section titled: "Deletin...

Wrap text in column headers to fit text in column
Hello, I get about forty columns of data dumped into an Excel sheet every month. The column headers at the top of the columns are usually considerably wider than the data in the columns. I want to wrap the header text in each column so that it is as wide as the widest entry in the rest of that column. Each column width is diferent. If anybody knows a quick method of doing this, it would save me a lot of time. -- Thanks, MarkN Maybe with a macro. Assuming your headers are in row 1: Sub header() Dim eCol As Integer Dim i As Integer Dim head As String eCol = Cells(1, ...

How do I set text to fit columns?
I've searched the forums, but I am just having a bit of trouble asking what I want to do. (I don't use Excel as much as Word, so I'm a bit rusty.) I'm creating an informational spreadsheet whose cells are full of a lot of wordly information that should be broken onto multiple lines to be able to fit into the confines of the column I've sized for it. I can drag each cell down to have more width, but I cannot figure out how to make the text fill up the newly fattened cell; that is, to have several line breaks instead of just neverending text on one line. I know it&#...

Replacing Cell Contents in only one column
Hello, I am trying to replace the contents of a cell in only one column of the spreadhseet Right now I have coded: Cells.Replace What:="1", Replacement:="No Data", LookAt:=xlWhole _ , SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False, SearchFormat:=False, _ ReplaceFormat:=False I only want to search a specific column and replace 1 with No Data Assuming your unstated replacement column is "B", use Columns("B") instead of Cells... Columns("B").Replace What="1", Replacement:="No Data",... etc. -- Rick (MVP - Ex...

delete data from column
Hello, I have a lot of emails in my excel columns, from A 1 to A 100. 100 emails. I want to get rid of, delete this < > from my emails. example that i have now <question@domain.com> i want to be like this. question@domain.com there is a way to remove these fast without going one by one?? thanks reply or comment. Edit Replace < with nothing then Replace > with nothing. -- Regards Dave Hawley www.ozgrid.com "Christian" <Christian@discussions.micros...

Easily concatenate several cells?
Other than using: =concatenate(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) or =A1&A1&A3&A4&A5 or VBA code is there any way to do concatenate like =XXXX(A1:A5) ? I have tried using concatenate in array but doesn't work. Thanks Download Morefunc and use the MCONCAT function -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Kenneth Lam" <NOSPAM-kennethlist@yahoo.com.hk> wrote in message news:428690h41n9vg17m0rm0a6jhe4lcf4esvk@4ax.com... > Other than using: > =concatenate(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) > or > =A1&A1&A3&A4&A5 > or > VBA code > > is there any way to do concatenate l...

getting next column and filename
Hi; I need to copy a range of data Range("B28").Select Range(Selection, Selection.End(xlDown)).Select Selection.Copy then I paste this in a new spreadsheet. (this is no problem) Now my question.. 1. I need to write the filename at the top of the column that the data came from. 2. Select the next column so that I loop (to paste the next files data into..) this process will repeat about 600 times.. Thank you for your time and efforts.. Sam, Only one problem - you cannot use 600 columns on one sheet. But you can put the data onto separate sheets: the code below will pu...

Function that will look at letter in a column and return a numeric value to adjacent column

How to easily crash Excel 2002.
Excel 10.2614.2625, at least. In a VBA module, enter: Function x(a) As String Fubar End Function Function y(b) As String End Function In a cell, enter: =y(x(0)) Get taken to 'Fubar' to debug. Press <Del> to delete the offending word. Press <F5> to continue. Redmond app go bye-bye. *** Jim Luedke wrote: > Excel 10.2614.2625, at least. > > In a VBA module, enter: > > Function x(a) As String > Fubar > End Function > > Function y(b) As String > End Function > > In a cell, enter: > &...

Discontinous values in a column
How can I fill in the empty cells in a column like the following : 4525980367 4525980560 4525988472 4526001271 4526005001 4526026221 4526051700 4526082664 4526131807 4526155800 4526174165 4526288621 4526336940 4526383124 4526384755 4526412139 4526454480 4526461206 4526463275 What do you want to fill in the empty cells whether the values of the previous cell or a stable value? -------------------- (Ms-Exl-Learner) -------------------- "FA" wrote: > How can I fill in the empty cells in a column like the following : > 45...

Freeze Column Width?
Hi. I have a pivot table that combines data from many workbooks. One column contains varying lengths of text, so automatically resizes to much wider than desired each time the pivot table is recalculated. All source workbooks have this column sized at 50 with text wrapping. Is there any way to freeze the column width in the pivot table so that it doesn't resize? Thanks. Hi If you right-click on the table, you can use the Table Settings option to change the format. One which may be of use is the AutoFormat option. -- Andy. "Emma" <anonymous@discussions.microsof...

template for deleting columns.....
I'm trying automate the process of deleting about 70 columns from a spreadsheet...I need to find out how this can be done (I'm assuming I need to run some program to do this).....the columns I need to delete will always be the same and to do this manually is killing me...any ideas? Thanks, Jeff Try recording a macro when you select some columns and delete them. You'll see the code that works for you. If you're anything like me, you may want to hide the columns instead of deleting them (just another option). If you're new to macros, you may want to read David McRitc...

Combo box for column
How do I make a combox box throughout an entire column? For example, if each row is a new record, I want a combox box each time I get to column F. Have you thought about using Data|Validation with a list on a different worksheet? Select your range of cells in column F and then Data|Validation. Debra Dalgleish has some very nice notes if you've never used this feature before: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal01.html Kmarie wrote: > > How do I make a combox box throughout an entire column? For example, if each > row is a new record, I want a combox box each time I get to c...