How to deselect one cell when selecting multiple nonadjacent cells?

I want to select many nonadjacent cells. So I hold down
Ctrl key and do it one by one. Very often I will hit the
wrong cell. How can I deselect that cell without
cancelling the cells I have already selected?

Please help me! It drives me crazy!

Thanks a lot!
0
jin_liao (2)

Chip Pearson has shared a couple of macros and code that adds this functionality
to the cell's rightclick menu.

Take a look at this thread:
http://google.com/groups?threadm=%23yUSqTuADHA.2296%40TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

JJ

McRitchie's intro at:
>http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstarted.htm
>
>JJ wrote:
>>
>> I want to select many nonadjacent cells. So I hold down
>> Ctrl key and do it one by one. Very often I will hit the
>> wrong cell. How can I deselect that cell without
>> cancelling the cells I have already selected?
>>
>> Please help me! It drives me crazy!
>>
>> Thanks a lot!
>
>--
>
>Dave Peterson
>ec35720@msn.com
>.

0
jin_liao (2)

deselect
when making multiple cell selection, it is possible to add cells to selection by ctrl-click or shift-click. but what to do, when on long multiple selection i miss one cell and include not intended one? then i need to abort whole selection process and start again! it would be nice to have "deselect" command, to exclude some mistakenly selected cells from multiple selection. maybe to set-up ctrl-click to work as "toggle" on cell, to include/exclude cells? any comment? sali, have a look here, its a post by Chip Pearson on the subject http://www.google.com/groups?thread...

One more loan question =)
Hi, I am trying to pay a loan off EARLY; I plan on making sporadic payments of different amounts. There is interest accruing on the account, but I am not scheduled to make any payments until 2005. I have successfully entered the loan into Money (thanks Bonnie) using the official repayment date (Nov. 2005), but when I try and make a payment to the loan, Money says that I can not do so until 2005. How can I change this so I can make payments of irregular amounts (whatever I can afford for the month) now? Don't use Loan Payment. Use Principal Transfer. "UA" <quee...

Outlook 2003- Getting the same emails
OS = Windows Vista Home Premium Outlook Version = 2003 This just started to happen (no changes to Outlook config) Have 24 emails, but only get the same 6 -8 each time. Then I receive the following error message: Task 'RoadRunner - Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC90) : 'Your incoming (POP3) e-mail server has reported an internal error. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP). The server responded: ' Can anyone define the problem and fix? Thanks Bob Hatala Bob Hatala <Bob Hatala> wrote: > OS...

last cell #3
Hi! Is there any way to reset what XL thinks is the last cell of the sheet without deleting all rows past the actual last cell? TIA T2 Hi see: http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#Unused Deleting all rows is the only way -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany TomTerrific wrote: > Hi! > > Is there any way to reset what XL thinks is the last cell > of the sheet without deleting all rows past the actual > last cell? > > TIA > T2 Thanks! >-----Original Message----- >Hi >see: >http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#Unused > >Deleting ...

How do I add background color to one page?
How do I add background color to a specific area on 1 page? Create the colored area using a drawing item and place it behind anything in that area. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "Ms. T" <Ms. T@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:35420AD9-D9FD-451D-8863-85CCA404B7AA@microsoft.com... > How do I add background color to a specific area on 1 page? But remember -- it may not print to the edge of the paper -- even if it shows that way on your screen. Printing to the edge of the p...

Copy info from a combo box to a text box...one form/two tables
Good morning everyone, I have a form that is based on info in one table. Recently I decided that I wanted to add a combo box in the same form based on info from another table. Is there a way once the end user makes there selection from that combo box that it will copy the selection to a text box on the same form and clear out the combo box to blank. I know that most likely will have to be a VBA procedure which is not my strongest area. Thanks for your help, Ron On Apr 19, 5:57 am, Ron S <rsti...@majesticvacations.net> wrote: > Good morning everyone, > > I have a form that i...

Complex select statement formulation
Hi, I have posted this today.However I realized that the sample data that is displaying is too complex for it to work. Hence I am simplyfying my explanation. Thanks. I have a table in the following format. I have shown the table with some sample data. cust_num site slsman sales_ytd C000200 11099 904 0 C000200 11101 904 0 C000200 11102 904 242.1 C000201 11099 927 0 C000201 11101 927 30.35 C000201 11102 927 200 Now I need to come up with a select statement such that the select statement output is the following: cust_num slsman 11099_salesytd 11101_salesytd 1110...

How do I format cells so that room numbers such as 1402, 1405a will sort correctly?
I'm trying to fix an Excel spreadsheet for a health care facility so that it can sort data by the first column, whci is the patient's room number. Room numbers can be pure numerical, or have a suffix at the end (a or b). So I have e.g. room numbers 1306, 2204, 1401b, 1613, 1402b. At the moment, the column sorts so that all the room numbers with a suffix follow all the numbers without a suffix. I've formatted the cells as General, Numbers, or Text, and get the same sort result each time. How can I fix this? HELP! All help gratefully received and acknowledged. -- Dan E...

Adding New Cell Formats
I have added a few custom Cell formats to the list given with Excel. #,##0 etc. I have adde 0) and (0) etc. Is there a formula I can write to enter feet and inches so I don't have to use ' & " everytime I enter. I have to type 1'-2". Is there a way I can format the cell so I just have to enter 1-2 or something short like that? thanks dpal ...

Merge cell values
How do I merge the values in three cells into one. The example is I have three cells Cell 1 cell 2 Cell 3 123 456 789 I want to have one cell that merges these values into 123456789 Any ideas if this can be done? cell 4 =A1&B1&C1 "Mpls501sMan" wrote: > How do I merge the values in three cells into one. The example is I have > three cells > > Cell 1 cell 2 Cell 3 > 123 456 789 > > I want to have one cell that merges these values into 123456789 > > Any ideas if this can be done? Thank you for the...

edit excel cells using vb code
hi, my problem is how to edit an excel cell when some other cells have been modified using vb editor. --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ I'm not sure what you mean by editing the cell. If you know what you want to do, your code could do the changing: with activecell .value = "This is now at the front: " & .value & " more at the back" end with If this doesn't help (and I don't see how it could!), post back with some more details. "Vijitha Vijayan <" wrote: > > hi, > my problem is how to edit an excel ...

adding multiple records in one fell swoop
Hi, In my database, I'd like to give users the ability to add more than one record to a table at once, should they desire to. Is there a way to do that? I would guide them to a special form where they could just enter the number of instances of a type of record and that number would create that number of instances in my "instances" table (the date column I would like to just populate with the current date instead of using the exact date of the specific instance). Is this possible? Thanks so much! David Sounds like an Append Query to me. grep dave.degroot@gmail.com wrote:...

Slow Excel 2007 calculation in a workbook and one solution
Problem: In Excel 2007 an xls workbook takes 2-4 seconds to recalculte whenever a cell is changed. The workbook works fine in Excel 2003. No external links no macros no range names File well under 1 meg, with very few formulas - mostly data and sums No conditional formatting A few IF formulas, about 10-20 About 30 sum functions Just one worksheet Changing to manual recalc did not help Saving as xlsx did not solve Copying and pasting cells to a xlsx workbook did not solve Clearing all formats did not solve Converting all cells to values did not solve Copying the worksheet to a new workbook d...

Cell data prefixed with unknown character
I am trying to work with a column in an Excell Sheet that has numeri data. The problem is that it appears there are 'spaces' before th number. I have tried to remove them with the Replace Menu option wit no luck. I'm thinking that the character may not be a 'space' but som other character. Is my next step to try to find the Hex value of th character? If so, how do I go about doing that? Thanks -- ingine ----------------------------------------------------------------------- ingineu's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1486 Vie...

How can I sort more than one column?
I would like to sort twelve columns of data (about 50 rows) in one fell swoop. Is there an easy way I can do this in Excel. Any sort of add on? One way is to create a formula that combines the attributes of the columns to be sorted and produce a single number that has a magnitude in the order you want - then sort that. But it depends on the form of your columns. If they are text this can become messy. Sometimes you can use a combination of the three sort boxes you have and this technique. Combine some into composites and use others as is. As a trivial example if columns (starting...

Check all check boxes in a multiple form
Hello everyone, I need help trying to check all check boxes in a continuous form. Now, this form has only filtered data from its table. I need to change all the check boxes to TRUE but only the data reflected on this form, not the whole table. Please reply!! Thank you Danny, Danny Why post twice in 5 minutes? This newsgroup is supported by volunteers. If someone hasn't responded within 24 hours of your post, you might want to try re-formulating your description and re-posting. And 24 hours is not a 'service-level agreement' of these groups. If your need is more urgent, ...

Custom cell formatting
I need to create a custom format for a series of cells that will begin like this. I can't figure out what the code character is fora volitile potentially alpha character. Can anyone help me?? -Monica, Dallas 000000 000001 000002 .... 000009 00000A 00000B 000010 000011 ...... Monica something like this might work for you but you'll need to put all the leading digits in for the entry with the alpha character Regards Trevor "MDavison" <davison@fr.com> wrote in message news:#SD0tUzTEHA.1652@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > I need to create a custom format for a series ...

SMTP 554 error on one domain only?
We are running SBS2003 and also have exchange running on it. We have a static IP and someone else hosts our MX record. There is one domain we cannot send mail to, we have tried different users in the domain and it makes no difference. We get the error retruned to use almost immediately. The error is: There was a SMTP communication problem with the reciepients mail server. <our.servername.com #5.5.0 smtp;554 Transaction failed> I'm not sure what is going on this only happens on one domain. Any advice is greatly appreciated. What is the domain you are trying to send to, ...

selecting ranges
I have data in column A. I want to enter a value in column B down to the same number of rows that are non- blank in column A. Problem is that the amount of data varies and so does the number of rows. How do I do this? Hi Pam You can enter a value in b1 for example and double click on the down right corner of the cell b1 -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2000-2003) www.rondebruin.nl "pam" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:01bf01c3c4c7$c95e91e0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > I have data in column A. I want to enter a value in > col...

Hiding rows based on cell value
I have a spreadsheet with a column of dates. I need to write code to hide all rows that are outside of a range of dates that I input as a "start date" and "end date" via 2 input boxes. Suggestions? *** Sent via http://www.automationtools.com *** Add a newsgroup interface to your website today. One simple answer would be to use a 'helper' column at the end with a formula that looked at the dates and based on your criteria either returned an OK or HIDE. Then just do Autofilter on that column selecting OKs. The HIDE value would prompt you to redo the filter if dat...

Locking Multiple Charts Together
Is there a way to layer multiple charts, one on top of the other, so that they all become one object to Excel? This way the charts could display things that one chart can not currently do by itself. This would be similar to CA-Tel-a-graf program does on a mainframe for creating a chart or graph. Any ideas? It's preferable to create combination charts to put all of the data into the same chart. This means you won't have to align the axes and other features of the overlaid charts. But it is possible to overlay charts. The top one should have its plot area and chart area made t...

Deselect top record #2
When looking at the history in an opportunity or a few of my other custom entities the top record is always selected, even when I select a different record. So if I try to open the second record I cannot. The only way to deselect the top record is to hold down the CTRL key as you click on it. I remember I've had this issue before, but I can't seem to find the fix anywhere on the internet again. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I was able to resolve this issue by reseting the settings in Interner Explorer. Tools - Internet Options - Advanced Tab - and then hit the...

autoformat the column of a cell area
Hi, Is there any way to format one cell are so that that the width of a cell area (something like format column width to contents) but without formating the cells above or bellow the area I want to format I have tried autoformat but it really does not give me what I want ! Somehow I cannot remove the autofilter that appears in the formated area. Thank you, best Hugo Personal.xls. Personal.xls is located in the XLStart directory, and is used to store macros and things that you want to be available to all workbooks, whenever you start Excel. By default, it is hidden in Excel, but if yo...

Deselect option buttons
I have a series of option buttons linked to a single cell. Once an option is selected and if I change my mind and don't want any option selected, how do I deselect all so that no option is selected? If I clear the linked cell, that works but the linked cell is supposed to be hidden from users so I wouldn't want the user to clear the linked cell. The only thing I can think of is putting a macro button as one of the selections to clear the linked cell. Is there some other way to do this? I'm using option buttons from the Forms toolbar. Thank you hi, a suggestion... put a la...

help with a select statement....
Hi, I am trying to perform a select that is beyond my abilty, so was hoping that somebody could assist. I have one table with a list of parts, and the location in the warehouse where that part is. A part may exist in one, or more (unlimited) location SKU QTY BIN FIFO AAA 30 A3 1 BBB 20 A2 1 CCC 4 B5 1 AAA 50 B9 2 etc... What I need to be able to do, is when the system has an order I need to create a pick list(which I hold in a temp table ##pickitems). This pick list will tell t...