how to delete a row in excel with a specific word using visual basic

Hi,

I have an excel file that always come with a line at the end with
"downloaded:" in the cell.  How can I write a macro to search for that
cell and delete the row that cell is in?

Thanks for all your help!
0
mchen1 (3)

Any time you are in doubt on how to interact with excel, try recording a new macro and then physically do the steps you are trying to code.  Stop the recording and then go look at the recorded macro

www.jameswesleybluesband.com
0
anonymous (74722)
5/13/2004 9:16:06 PM
Hi  "mchen" mchen@gellerco.com,

Delete rows with "N" in Column 31  (col AE)
from my   http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/delempty.htm

Sub Delete_N_MarkedRows()
   Application.ScreenUpdating = False
   Dim lastrow As Long, r As Long
   lastrow = ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Rows.Count
   For r = lastrow To 1 Step -1
      If UCase(Cells(r, 31).Value) = "N" Then Rows(r).Delete
   Next r
   Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

If the string can occur in any column you might
experiment   with    vba   FIND

Here is a posting by Patric Molloy:
  http://google.com/groups?selm=uhvafZVlCHA.216%40tkmsftngp07

I would suggest using your name when posting, it is a lot more friendly
---
HTH,

"mchen" <mchen@gellerco.com> wrote in message news:54bd872f.0405131244.2b69160a@posting.google.com...
> Hi,
>
> I have an excel file that always come with a line at the end with
> "downloaded:" in the cell.  How can I write a macro to search for that
> cell and delete the row that cell is in?
>
> Thanks for all your help!

0
dmcritchie (2586)
5/13/2004 9:17:29 PM
try this if the column is column A
Sub deleterowword()
Rows(Columns(1).Find("downloaded").Row).Delete
End Sub

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software
"mchen" <mchen@gellerco.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have an excel file that always come with a line at the end with
> "downloaded:" in the cell.  How can I write a macro to search for that
> cell and delete the row that cell is in?
>
> Thanks for all your help!

0
Don
5/13/2004 9:19:32 PM
Hi David,

Thanks for all your help.  I'm sorry, my name is Michelle, I don't
know how to use my name to post my messages.
I have another problem, wondering if you can help me.
I have an excel sheet that has cumulative data.  I would like the
macro to clean up the sheet by searching on column B and delete all
the rows that do not have previous day's data.
So today is May 17th, I would like the macro to keep all of May 16th's
data.  The date format is in M/D/YYYY.

Thanks again,
Michelle

"David McRitchie" <dmcritchie@msn.com> wrote in message news:<O7pvM$SOEHA.556@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>...
> Hi  "mchen" mchen@gellerco.com,
>
> Delete rows with "N" in Column 31  (col AE)
> from my   http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/delempty.htm
>
> Sub Delete_N_MarkedRows()
>    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
>    Application.Calculation = xlCalculationManual
>    Dim lastrow As Long, r As Long
>    lastrow = ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Rows.Count
>    For r = lastrow To 1 Step -1
>       If UCase(Cells(r, 31).Value) = "N" Then Rows(r).Delete
>    Next r
>    Application.Calculation = xlCalculationAutomatic
>    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
> End Sub
>
> If the string can occur in any column you might
> experiment   with    vba   FIND
>
> Here is a posting by Patric Molloy:
>   http://google.com/groups?selm=uhvafZVlCHA.216%40tkmsftngp07
>
> I would suggest using your name when posting, it is a lot more friendly
> ---
> HTH,
> David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel    [site changed  Nov. 2001]
>
> "mchen" <mchen@gellerco.com> wrote in message news:54bd872f.0405131244.2b69160a@posting.google.com...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have an excel file that always come with a line at the end with
> > "downloaded:" in the cell.  How can I write a macro to search for that
> > cell and delete the row that cell is in?
> >
> > Thanks for all your help!
0
mchen1 (3)
5/17/2004 8:45:11 PM
Hi Michelle,

Sub Delete_2DayorOlder()
' This macro deletes all rows on the active worksheet
' having  dates  2 or more days old in Column A
' no check for dates so basically any number that could
' represent a date less than the previous day.
 Dim rng As Range
 Set rng = Intersect(Range("A:A"), _
   ActiveSheet.UsedRange.SpecialCells(xlConstants, xlNumbers))
 Dim i As Long
 For i = rng.Count To 1 Step -1
   If rng.Item(i).Value < (Int(Now) - 1) Then rng.Item(i).EntireRow.Delete
 Next i
End Sub

I don't know how to include name with email address from Google either,
but signature line at bottom works.   Thanks.
---
HTH,

"mchen" <mchen@gellerco.com> wrote in message news:54bd872f.0405171245.7ac67333@posting.google.com...
> Hi David,
>
> Thanks for all your help.  I'm sorry, my name is Michelle, I don't
> know how to use my name to post my messages.
> I have another problem, wondering if you can help me.
> I have an excel sheet that has cumulative data.  I would like the
> macro to clean up the sheet by searching on column B and delete all
> the rows that do not have previous day's data.
> So today is May 17th, I would like the macro to keep all of May 16th's
> data.  The date format is in M/D/YYYY.
>
> Thanks again,
> Michelle
>
> "David McRitchie" <dmcritchie@msn.com> wrote in message news:<O7pvM$SOEHA.556@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>...
> > Hi  "mchen" mchen@gellerco.com,
> >
> > Delete rows with "N" in Column 31  (col AE)
> > from my   http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/delempty.htm
> >
> > Sub Delete_N_MarkedRows()
> >    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
> >    Application.Calculation = xlCalculationManual
> >    Dim lastrow As Long, r As Long
> >    lastrow = ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Rows.Count
> >    For r = lastrow To 1 Step -1
> >       If UCase(Cells(r, 31).Value) = "N" Then Rows(r).Delete
> >    Next r
> >    Application.Calculation = xlCalculationAutomatic
> >    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
> > End Sub
> >
> > If the string can occur in any column you might
> > experiment   with    vba   FIND
> >
> > Here is a posting by Patric Molloy:
> >   http://google.com/groups?selm=uhvafZVlCHA.216%40tkmsftngp07
> >
> > I would suggest using your name when posting, it is a lot more friendly
> > ---
> > HTH,
> > David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel    [site changed  Nov. 2001]
> > My Excel Pages:  http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm
> > Search Page:        http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/search.htm
> >
> > "mchen" <mchen@gellerco.com> wrote in message news:54bd872f.0405131244.2b69160a@posting.google.com...
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have an excel file that always come with a line at the end with
> > > "downloaded:" in the cell.  How can I write a macro to search for that
> > > cell and delete the row that cell is in?
> > >
> > > Thanks for all your help!

0
dmcritchie (2586)
5/18/2004 2:43:35 AM
Hi David,

Thanks for all your help, the code works great!
Just wondering if you can explain to me in plain english what the code
is doing line by line, this way I can learn this instead of just
copying and pasting.

Thanks,
Michelle

"David McRitchie" <dmcritchie@msn.com> wrote in message news:<ef5epIIPEHA.3348@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>...
> Hi Michelle,
>
> Sub Delete_2DayorOlder()
> ' This macro deletes all rows on the active worksheet
> ' having  dates  2 or more days old in Column A
> ' no check for dates so basically any number that could
> ' represent a date less than the previous day.
>  Dim rng As Range
>  Set rng = Intersect(Range("A:A"), _
>    ActiveSheet.UsedRange.SpecialCells(xlConstants, xlNumbers))
>  Dim i As Long
>  For i = rng.Count To 1 Step -1
>    If rng.Item(i).Value < (Int(Now) - 1) Then rng.Item(i).EntireRow.Delete
>  Next i
> End Sub
>
> I don't know how to include name with email address from Google either,
> but signature line at bottom works.   Thanks.
> ---
> HTH,
> David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel    [site changed  Nov. 2001]
>
> "mchen" <mchen@gellerco.com> wrote in message news:54bd872f.0405171245.7ac67333@posting.google.com...
> > Hi David,
> >
> > Thanks for all your help.  I'm sorry, my name is Michelle, I don't
> > know how to use my name to post my messages.
> > I have another problem, wondering if you can help me.
> > I have an excel sheet that has cumulative data.  I would like the
> > macro to clean up the sheet by searching on column B and delete all
> > the rows that do not have previous day's data.
> > So today is May 17th, I would like the macro to keep all of May 16th's
> > data.  The date format is in M/D/YYYY.
> >
> > Thanks again,
> > Michelle
> >
> > "David McRitchie" <dmcritchie@msn.com> wrote in message news:<O7pvM$SOEHA.556@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>...
> > > Hi  "mchen" mchen@gellerco.com,
> > >
> > > Delete rows with "N" in Column 31  (col AE)
> > > from my   http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/delempty.htm
> > >
> > > Sub Delete_N_MarkedRows()
> > >    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
> > >    Application.Calculation = xlCalculationManual
> > >    Dim lastrow As Long, r As Long
> > >    lastrow = ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Rows.Count
> > >    For r = lastrow To 1 Step -1
> > >       If UCase(Cells(r, 31).Value) = "N" Then Rows(r).Delete
> > >    Next r
> > >    Application.Calculation = xlCalculationAutomatic
> > >    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
> > > End Sub
> > >
> > > If the string can occur in any column you might
> > > experiment   with    vba   FIND
> > >
> > > Here is a posting by Patric Molloy:
> > >   http://google.com/groups?selm=uhvafZVlCHA.216%40tkmsftngp07
> > >
> > > I would suggest using your name when posting, it is a lot more friendly
> > > ---
> > > HTH,
> > > David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel    [site changed  Nov. 2001]
> > > My Excel Pages:  http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm
> > > Search Page:        http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/search.htm

0
mchen1 (3)
5/18/2004 8:00:31 PM
Hi Michelle,
A lot of what the code does is explained in
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/proper.htm
though I did not put in code to make it run faster.

Sub   the beginning of a macro,  the name of the
macro follows.    A parameter list follows that, and
there are no parameters.

Dim   is short for dimension and is used to declare
variables.   The  variable  Rng is a Range of cells.
The variable   I  is an integer  (32 bits as opposed to 16 bits).

Dates are measured in days past a certain date  (Dec 31, 1899
for the 1900 date system),  and time is measured as fractions of
a day.    So  INT(NOW)    removes the fractional part of the
datetimestamp obtained from NOW.I. .

  Set rng = Intersect(Range("A:A"), _
    ActiveSheet.UsedRange.SpecialCells(xlConstants, xlNumbers))

the underscore (space underscore)  indicates that the next line
is a continuation of the current line.    Intersect is taking two ranges
and the resulting range (does not have to be contiguous)  is comprised
of cells that exist in both of the ranges.   So a cell must be in column AS
and it must be a constant with a number (no formulas, text, space or empty
cells).    SpecialCells in itself is limited to the used range.

   For i = rng.Count To 1 Step -1

This is a loop and for inserting/deleting rows we want to start from
the bottom and work our way up so we don't skip over rows.
Rng.Count   is a count of items in a collection of cells named Rng.
The   Step -1   is a negative increment  (we are going from bottom to top)
so it  starts out high and decremnts to 1.

rng.item(i)    is a specific  item in the range Rng  specicall the i-th item.
The    .value  indicates we are checking the value  of the item not
..text which woujld be the displayed or formatted value,  not address which
would be the cells address,  nor a heck of a lot of other choices.

(Int(Now) - 1)      is yesterday's date starting at midnight which is considered
on computers to be part of the same day as one minute after midnight.
as a time of   00:00   zero hours, zero minutes.   Anything before that
would be considered two days old -- going by days not by time.

EntireRow   is used to mean the entiere row as opposed to the
default which would be one cell, if deleting.

Next is the end of the loop and returns to the the   For statement for
an increment of test to see if it is finished; otherwise, continues one
more iteration of hte loop,  which will be retested again and again, til done.

End Sub   the end of the macro.

Don't know if that helps,   but if you have no experience with
any programming language you might be better off purchasing a book..
I would look over some VBA tutorials first so you actually purchase
a book you can use as a reference instead of something too elementary.
  http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm#tutorials

Another approach would be to just use the macros until you find they
don't do what you want,  as soon as you change one line -- you are
a programmer  (oops,  I think that is developer now).

The macro previous to this one had  Ucase   which is upper case
Basically things in in VBA  are case sensitive and things in
Worksheet functions are case insentive.  There are exceptions in
both.   http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/string.htm#sensitivity
---
HTH,

"mchen" <mchen@gellerco.com> wrote in message news:54bd872f.0405181200.468704ec@posting.google.com...
> Hi David,
>
> Thanks for all your help, the code works great!
> Just wondering if you can explain to me in plain english what the code
> is doing line by line, this way I can learn this instead of just
> copying and pasting.
>
> Thanks,
> Michelle
>
> "David McRitchie" <dmcritchie@msn.com> wrote in ...
> > Hi Michelle,
> >
> > Sub Delete_2DayorOlder()
> > ' This macro deletes all rows on the active worksheet
> > ' having  dates  2 or more days old in Column A
> > ' no check for dates so basically any number that could
> > ' represent a date less than the previous day.
> >  Dim rng As Range
> >  Set rng = Intersect(Range("A:A"), _
> >    ActiveSheet.UsedRange.SpecialCells(xlConstants, xlNumbers))
> >  Dim i As Long
> >  For i = rng.Count To 1 Step -1
> >    If rng.Item(i).Value < (Int(Now) - 1) Then rng.Item(i).EntireRow.Delete
> >  Next i
> > End Sub

0
dmcritchie (2586)

Excel 2007

Using part of a cell in a chart title

Copy entire row where CellValue=0

Auto-format in Microsoft Excel.

Using expression builder object
Hi, I'm developing a wizzard in Access which builds import templates for various data sources to a fixed set of tables. In step 3 the users must be able to build an expression ; for instance Left([Fieldx],20) . Now I would like to have a command button on my form which calls the Access expression builder to allow the users to use this to build the expression. This expression will then be stored in a text box linked to the templates table. Anybody know how to call and use this object from VBA code? -- Kind regards Noëlla DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdInvokeBuilder I th...

Excel not Access

help with simple maths in excel

Opening Excel Workbooks

Filter recordset using query results
Hi all I have a form based on a query called [qry Quarterly Planning], it lists all Itineraries on the system. On this form you can filter records by specifying a Start and End Date for the [ReviewDate] and/or [Specialist]. It is a subform on a main unbound form, lets call this Subform1. Along side this I have another subform (Subform2) which displays ReviewDates that exist against an Itinerary. In other words Subform1 has a start date of an activity and if the activity lasts longer than 1 day, then the additional dates are stored in Subform2 (ItineraryDates). Currently when I...

How do I use traffic lights in excel

Grammar check not working

Newbie Question: Using Web Services
Hello All. I've been trying to implement Infopath with CRM with no success. I've tried the example, http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnmbscrm1_2/html/mbs_crminfopathcrmintegration.asp, to no avail. I have followed the example to the letter, but find the information about publishing the Web Service to the server to be somewhat lacking. Admittedly, I am not a programmer, and I am continually running into an error in line 54: xmlDoc.LoadXml(objQuery.ExecuteQuery(objBizUser.WhoAmI(), strAllAccountsFetchXML)); Has anyone else ...

Excel DNS query

Excel Problem

Using Visio HTML output within frames
Hi, I want to include visio HTML output in a frame of another html file. Unfortunately it is not working. I understood the problem is in vml_*.htm files. It is due to, the target arrtibute(pointing to _parent) in v:shapetype tag and href attribute (pointing to #) in v:shape tag. These attributes should point to "_top" and "<target-html-file>#" respectively inorder to work. I want to change these options while saving .vsd as web page? I would appreciate if you can help me in this regard. <v:shapetype id="VISSHAPE" target="_parent" coor...

Displaying colour codes in Word 2007
I know this one isn't new, but that isn't a reason not to protest. There seems to be a conspiracy at M$ to drive the largest possible number of people MAD. When you select or inspect the colour of text or another item in Word 2007, the colour codes (rgb) are no longer diplayed in this version. Apparantly, this is because Word has been dumbed down for the benefit of people who've never seen a computer. If you want to choose a colour that matches another part of the document or an imported item, you need a large number of mouse clics. Even then it is far from obv...

How can I set an alarm Excel?
I would like to set an audible alarm in Excel based on a cell value. Try this in the worksheet VBA editor. If the value of A5 is greater than 50 you get a beep. Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) Dim frequency As Long Dim duration As Long If Target <> Range("A5") Then Exit Sub If Target.Value > 50 Then frequency = 4160 duration = 1500 Call Beep(frequency, duration) End If End Sub HTH Regards, Howard "Annell" <Annell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EFE8AA18-3F14-4A92-941D-053922417AB2@mic...

Please Help w/ Large Excel File
Hello everyone. I have this Excel file that has drawing text box objects in the document. When I delete a text box the attributes still are present, but just not showing. It is continually growing my file size. When I export the document to HTML after deleting all the text box drawing objects and saving the file, the text box objects still show as vtextbox elements in this file. I tried to reproduce this with a new Excel workbook but could not. I would be greatful if anyone can figure this out, as I have a lot of documents to re-create if there is no solution. Thank you. exce...