How to create a read-only database

Hi,

I have set up a simple ordering system at my workplace using Exce
forms. Using template wizard with data tracking all orders using thi
form are stored in a database. I like this database to be read-only, s
everyone can see the orders placed without messing up the database
However, if I make the database read-only, the template wizard i
unable to add new orders. How do I get around this problem? Fo
instance, is it possible to make an automatic copy of the databas
everytime it is changed which is read-only ??

Thnx

Richar

--
Rajjansse
Rajjanssen's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1629

Not a real good solution, but maybe...

When you save the file (actually File|SaveAs), you can specify that you want to
recommend that the file be opened readonly.

File|SaveAs|tools|(General) Options|check the "read-only recommended" box

If you want to allow some users to only have readonly access, give it a password
to modify in that same dialog.  But only share that password with the users who
should make changes.

--

Dave Peterson
0

create a roster

Database Engine Tuning Advisor and autocomplete
Hello there, in the never ending quest for better GP performance, I am onto indexes. I am convinced that there are additional indexes that can improve GP in real life situations, but have been unable to find anyone listing indexes they have used. So my question is, has anyone used the tuning advisor in sql server 05 and implemented its reccomendations? Were there noticable effects on GP performance? While I can run a trace against production and the advisor against a dev environment, I am still wary of implementing the changes in production... On a side question, where are the actu...

Task Create - Status

Create external database

tabls in GP90 database
Does anyone know or have a description or documenation on the tables in the database for GP90? Maybe all I need is the important ones. thanks Within the program itself, Tools > Resource Descriptions Also, there are ERD's on the distribution CD's that you got when you purchased or upgraded the system - you have to install the SDK to get at them. -- Lyle U Adam Clark wrote: > Does anyone know or have a description or documenation on the tables > in the database for GP90? Maybe all I need is the important ones. > > thanks ...

Exchange Database Recovery
Hello, We are a small business with one Exchange 2003 Server. The hard disk died on the server the other day and we couldn't boot. I put in a new disk and reloaded Windows 2003 and Exchange 2003. Thankfully, several of us were using Outlook 2003 with Cached Mode, so we simply backed our email up and reloaded it into the newly restored Exchange. However, one user with several years worth of critical email didn't have Cached Mode turned on for some reason, so I'm trying to restore his email. I was able to connect the damaged hard disk and copy the Exchange database fol...

How to create pie chart with %

when form created

advanced read-only security
I have a client with an obscure security need. They want all users to be able to search for a contact record and have them be able to see the preview information for each record that is returned in the resultset. However, they do not want them to be able to open the main record window to view the complete record information. I know of no way that this can be done through the application BUT I was wondering whether it would be possible to add additional security verification code when the preview is selected. thanks in advance Simon; you are correct that it can't be done out of th...

Creating a Brochure

How to create Access macro shortcut

Password Protect-- Read Only Copy
Hi, We have a few excel files that several people use at the same time. Is there any way to make sure that only one designated person can open the orginal copies and the others forced to use a Read Only Copy? Besides relying on humans to close out if they open the original copy etc. :) Thanks, Ben Ben, The second and subsequent users who open the workbook should be in Read-Only automatically, unless you've shared the workbook (Tools - Share workbook). You might need to get with the network people about this. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ----------...

Creating an ad book

Access unable to create an MDE

create a database from which bibliography an be created
How do I create a database from which a bibliography can be added to the end of a Word document? I used the program RefManager, but that is too expensive for me to update. Does Word 2003 have such a program? Thanks Not natively. Have you checked your academic institution? They might have campus licenses which students can use at home. You could give Zotero a spin (www.zotero.org). Personally, I don't like it, but that's just me. Word 2007 comes with referencing capabilities, but they are limited in functionality. Anything special you want, you would have to add i...

Reducing the Database
I hope someone can verify this for me as I read it and cant find the original source again. I had a user with a mailbox size of 1g. I have deleted every item in his mailbox, with the exception of a few emails (no attachment) and expect his mailbox size to be well under 50 mb. I have did not perform an offline defrag on this mail server, but rather moved the user to a new mail server. Should his current mailbox size now reflect 50 mb or will it show 1g as it did on the other server? Thanks Ken Depends :-) What is your Deleted Items Retention policy? If you deleted everything yesterda...

Error creating activities from Cases
Hi I have an out of the box SBS 2003 CRM Setup I have installed Rollup1 and the new help files Under about MS CRM it has CRM 3.0 (3.0.5300.0) When we try and create activies from within a case, we get the following to errors in the event log We can create the activities just fromthe main web client menu ok The same thing happens in the outlook client (OL 2003, Exchange 2003) I found some links to verabose stuff, but they all applied to the have MS CRM setup on multiple server. We have tried it with and without Outlook open Anyhelp appreciated Event Type: Error Event Source: MSC...

Why do pivot tables not read numbers that are copied and pasted
I am working with a Pivot Table whose information comes from a two columns of data that has been assembled from data copied and pasted from other sheets. Unless I retype all the data, it only shows zeros when sum is selected from field settings. I need a way to get it to sum without retyping or at least to know why it will not sum the numbers. Thanks Excel is seeing the numbers as text. There are some techniques here that you can use to convert the text to numbers, so they can be summed in the pivot table: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataEntry03.html B_4j wrote: > I am worki...