How to choose maximum value

Hi, I am wondering if anybody can help me with this. I need to take some
information from Table 1 to a new table which I am working on.
For example, for "apple" in column A, I would like to find the highest
number (30) in Column B and return the correspnonding
text in Column C (a2) to the new table.

Table 1
columnA		ColumnB 	ColumnC
apple		2		a1
apple		30		a2
apple		15		a3
apple		6		a4
apple		12		a5
apple		9		a6
banana		3		b1
banana		10		b2
orange		2		o1
orange		1		o2
cherry		10		c1
peanut		20		p1
peanut		50		p2
peanut		25		p3
tomato		2		t1
tomato		l		t1
tomato		8		t3

Also, the new table has a lot of additionalinformation and therefore I can
not simple convert Table 1 to the new table.
The expected information needed to added to the new table is:

New Table
columnA		ColumnB 	ColumnC
apple		30		a2
banana		10		b2
orange		2		o1
cherry		10		c1
peanut		50		p2
tomato		8		t3

Can I use the MAX function? Thanks lot !!

Omics

see your other post

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Omics" <Omics@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I am wondering if anybody can help me with this. I need to take some
> information from Table 1 to a new table which I am working on.
> For example, for "apple" in column A, I would like to find the highest
> number (30) in Column B and return the correspnonding
> text in Column C (a2) to the new table.
>
> Table 1
> columnA ColumnB ColumnC
> apple 2 a1
> apple 30 a2
> apple 15 a3
> apple 6 a4
> apple 12 a5
> apple 9 a6
> banana 3 b1
> banana 10 b2
> orange 2 o1
> orange 1 o2
> cherry 10 c1
> peanut 20 p1
> peanut 50 p2
> peanut 25 p3
> tomato 2 t1
> tomato l t1
> tomato 8 t3
>

> Also, the new table has a lot of additionalinformation and therefore I can
> not simple convert Table 1 to the new table.
> The expected information needed to added to the new table is:
>
> New Table
> columnA ColumnB ColumnC
> apple 30 a2
> banana 10 b2
> orange 2 o1
> cherry 10 c1
> peanut 50 p2
> tomato 8 t3
>
> Can I use the MAX function? Thanks lot !!
>
> Omics

In sheet2 cell B1 apply the formula and copy down as required
=MAX(IF(Sheet1!A1:A100=A1,Sheet1!B1:B100))

In sheet2 cell C1 apply the formula and copy down as required
=INDEX(Sheet1!$C$1:$C$100,MATCH(1,(Sheet1!$A$1:$A$100=A1)*
(Sheet1!$B$1:$B$100=B1),0))

Please note that this is an array formula. You create array formulas in the
same way that you create other formulas, except you press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to
enter the formula. If successful in 'Formula Bar' you can notice the curly
braces at both ends like "{=<formula>}"

--
Jacob (MVP - Excel)

"Omics" wrote:

> Hi, I am wondering if anybody can help me with this. I need to take some
> information from Table 1 to a new table which I am working on.
> For example, for "apple" in column A, I would like to find the highest
> number (30) in Column B and return the correspnonding
> text in Column C (a2) to the new table.
>
> Table 1
> columnA		ColumnB 	ColumnC
> apple		2		a1
> apple		30		a2
> apple		15		a3
> apple		6		a4
> apple		12		a5
> apple		9		a6
> banana		3		b1
> banana		10		b2
> orange		2		o1
> orange		1		o2
> cherry		10		c1
> peanut		20		p1
> peanut		50		p2
> peanut		25		p3
> tomato		2		t1
> tomato		l		t1
> tomato		8		t3
>

> Also, the new table has a lot of additionalinformation and therefore I can
> not simple convert Table 1 to the new table.
> The expected information needed to added to the new table is:
>
> New Table
> columnA		ColumnB 	ColumnC
> apple		30		a2
> banana		10		b2
> orange		2		o1
> cherry		10		c1
> peanut		50		p2
> tomato		8		t3
>
> Can I use the MAX function? Thanks lot !!
>
> Omics

Hi Biff,

Thanks so much. When I was trying to post my question today I tried to
logged in the excel discussion group via firefox. I waited for couple of
hours and did not see any response to my question. That's why I logged in
again via IE. After 30 minutes, I got two response. However, right now I can
not see my other post. Could you please direct me to find the other post or
paste please the answer here. Thanks.

Omics

Here's your other post:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?&lang=en&cr=US&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.excel&p=1&tid=c1d33d7e-bcd0-42b7-bd89-7c4efe45a39c

--

> Hi Biff,
>
> Thanks so much. When I was trying to post my question today I tried to
> logged in the excel discussion group via firefox. I waited for couple of
> hours and did not see any response to my question. That's why I logged in
> again via IE. After 30 minutes, I got two response. However, right now I
> can
> not see my other post. Could you please direct me to find the other post
> or
> paste please the answer here. Thanks.
>
> Omics
>
> "T. Valko" wrote:
>
>> see your other post
>>
>> --
>> Biff
>> Microsoft Excel MVP
>>

>> "Omics" <Omics@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi, I am wondering if anybody can help me with this. I need to take
>> > some
>> > information from Table 1 to a new table which I am working on.
>> > For example, for "apple" in column A, I would like to find the highest
>> > number (30) in Column B and return the correspnonding
>> > text in Column C (a2) to the new table.
>> >
>> > Table 1
>> > columnA ColumnB ColumnC
>> > apple 2 a1
>> > apple 30 a2
>> > apple 15 a3
>> > apple 6 a4
>> > apple 12 a5
>> > apple 9 a6
>> > banana 3 b1
>> > banana 10 b2
>> > orange 2 o1
>> > orange 1 o2
>> > cherry 10 c1
>> > peanut 20 p1
>> > peanut 50 p2
>> > peanut 25 p3
>> > tomato 2 t1
>> > tomato l t1
>> > tomato 8 t3
>> >

>> > Also, the new table has a lot of additionalinformation and therefore I
>> > can
>> > not simple convert Table 1 to the new table.
>> > The expected information needed to added to the new table is:
>> >
>> > New Table
>> > columnA ColumnB ColumnC
>> > apple 30 a2
>> > banana 10 b2
>> > orange 2 o1
>> > cherry 10 c1
>> > peanut 50 p2
>> > tomato 8 t3
>> >
>> > Can I use the MAX function? Thanks lot !!
>> >
>> > Omics
>> >

>> .

Hi Biff,

It worked. Thanks so much!

Omics

"T. Valko" wrote:

> Here's your other post:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?&lang=en&cr=US&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.excel&p=1&tid=c1d33d7e-bcd0-42b7-bd89-7c4efe45a39c
>
> --
> Biff
> Microsoft Excel MVP
>

> "Omics" <Omics@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Biff,
> >
> > Thanks so much. When I was trying to post my question today I tried to
> > logged in the excel discussion group via firefox. I waited for couple of
> > hours and did not see any response to my question. That's why I logged in
> > again via IE. After 30 minutes, I got two response. However, right now I
> > can
> > not see my other post. Could you please direct me to find the other post
> > or
> > paste please the answer here. Thanks.
> >
> > Omics
> >
> > "T. Valko" wrote:
> >
> >> see your other post
> >>
> >> --
> >> Biff
> >> Microsoft Excel MVP
> >>

> >> "Omics" <Omics@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> .
> >>

> .

Hi Jacob,

Thanks so much for your help! I followed your instruction and it works well.

Omics

> Hi Biff,
>
> It worked. Thanks so much!
>
> Omics
>
> "T. Valko" wrote:
>
>> Here's your other post:
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?&lang=en&cr=US&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.excel&p=1&tid=c1d33d7e-bcd0-42b7-bd89-7c4efe45a39c
>>
>> --
>> Biff
>> Microsoft Excel MVP
>>

>> "Omics" <Omics@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi Biff,
>> >
>> > Thanks so much. When I was trying to post my question today I tried to
>> > logged in the excel discussion group via firefox. I waited for couple
>> > of
>> > hours and did not see any response to my question. That's why I logged
>> > in
>> > again via IE. After 30 minutes, I got two response. However, right now
>> > can
>> > not see my other post. Could you please direct me to find the other
>> > post
>> > or
>> > paste please the answer here. Thanks.
>> >
>> > Omics

>> .

Show the max value of a column according to a given date and show its definition
Given: For Sheet1: A1: 11/2/04 (This is the current date) A4: Project Code A5: Dent A6: Stain B4: 11/3/04 B5: 10 B6: 5 C4: 11/4/04 C5: 12 C6: 20 Question: How can I have the maximum number value of the current dat displayed in A1? Desired Solution: A15: (this cell will display the max value of the column given by th current date.) B15: (this cell will display the Reason Code of the max value of th current date) Logic: If the date in A1 is changed, the value of A15 and B15 will b changed as well regarding to the current date in A --...

searching for values not in this range.
I've this array of alaphets. Eg {"a", "d", "k") I want to search for values NOT in the above range, what is the syntax like ? On Jun 29, 9:24=A0pm, "IT STAFF" <jkk...@hotmail.com> wrote: > I've this array of alaphets. > > Eg {"a", "d", "k") > > I want to search for values NOT in the above range, what is the syntax li= ke > ? I'm assuming you're talking about single characters. If the exclusion range isn't overly large, then you can do this: PS C:\...

Generate random value
Dear All, In order to get random code label i used RAND function, unfortunately i could not get the correct value. What value i want to get is all value greater than 100 and less than 1000 with no number duplicated consecutively for instance 110, 199,111, etc. Just number like 102, 121 or 123 etc. What appropriate RAND function i should applied? Highly appreciate for helping. regards \benny =RANDBETWEEN(100,1000) use the =RANDBETWEEN(100,1000) function. To do the rest perhaps filter by unique values and do a sort? But then it isn't really random if you want 900 consecutive number...

Counting unique values in a row
I am attempting to count the number of times a specific value range occurs in a row throughout a large spreadsheet. For example, I have three values in multipe rows: A1=10, B1=20, C1=30, A2=20, B2=10, C2=30. A3=50, B3=50, C3=50 I want to create a formula that will allow me to count the number of rows that contain 50,50,50 within a large area. Here's an array formula that will help you count unique instances SUM(1/COUNTIF(data_range,data_range)) CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to activate the array -- Tips for Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Other Applications http://www.kan.org/tips &quo...

X value of cell has value of cell from colum
I am busy with making a office present and absent sheet. Arrival 07.00 07.15 07.30 etc ------------------------------------------ Jan 1 X Jan 2 etc. Same for departure Employees has to put a cross (X) under the arrival time column at the present date. Then I want to calculate the working hours. How to make a formula that takes the value from the column of the X (arrival) minus the departure time? Like 07.30 - 17.00 = .... hours. Thanks a lot. Bart, excel 2003 Try something like this: Row 1 are the times Row 2 = X =IF(COUNTIF(B2...

Using a cell reference as the axis value for Horizontal axis crosses
Is there any way of referencing a cell as the value in the "axis value" area of the "Format Axis dialog box. I am currently entering a number i.e. 2.5. I would like to be able to have this number change when a user enterer a value in a cell? Would it have to be VBA code or is there another way? Hi, A coded solution is currently the only way. Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info <betuttle52@gmail.com> wrote in message news:408bbd01-b24e-4ca3-9e63-02daed2b146e@s8g2000prg.googlegroups.com... > Is there any way of referencing a ce...

Choose.
I am currently using a similar statement in a DB, how may I adapt it to an Excel cell please? (striking trouble with the divisor into the text string) =CHOOSE(FIND(VENUE,"W ANSWVICS AN TCANTAS",0)/3,1,2,3,4,5,6,7) Thank you. Hi Rodney, Try changing the zero to one. Gary Hi Gary, Yep, that fixed it nicely. appreciated. | Hi Rodney, | Try changing the zero to one. | Gary ...

priv1.edb maximum size
Well here we go as if I didn't see this one coming... I have a customer with SBS 2003 Standard who has continuously ignored my pleas to them to address some major issues on their server and now it looks like it might finally be biting them in the "backend". Customer contacted me late today and said they are, all of a sudden, unable to send or receive mail. I immediately went and checked out the information store and smtp to make sure the services were running and no issues. Checked to make sure DNS was ok no issues. Looked at the logs and found that they recei...

formula switches to value ?!?
what toggle, got switched where ? if A7 contains the value: "Christopher" and in B9 I enter: "=A7", it automatically switches the formula to the resulting value (both in the cell, and in the formula bar; the value of B9 is now not "=A7", but: "Christopher") thanks in advance, -mark mark kubicki wrote: > what toggle, got switched where ? > > if A7 contains the value: "Christopher" > and in B9 I enter: "=A7", it automatically switches the formula to the > resulting value (both in the cell, and in the formula bar; ...

Counting unique values #3
I am trying to count the number of unique values in my data. Here is an example: 589450 589451 589452 589453 589454 589455 589455 589455 589455 Ideally I want to know that the count for the first 5 values will be 1, but also the count of 4 for the last four values, such as: 589450 1 589451 1 589452 1 589453 1 589454 1 589455 4 I have tried VLOOKUP, advanced filters, and COUNTIF but nothing has worked properly and with some I get the following result: 589450 1 589451 1 589452 1 589453 1 589454 1 589455 4 589455 4 589455 4 589455 4 I have over 19,000 values that I need to count in this way...

Getting chart series values from object values
VB6 EXCEL2000 I am trying to automate plotting an XY curve from data contained in an object. Basically there appears to be no way of transfering the contents of an object into chart's x and y values (.XValues & .Values respectively). Edited code below. Source data from array dFrequency is placed in a collection (for good reasons!): Public FreqTable As New Collection That is some seriously edited code... <g> -- Regards, Tushar Mehta www.tushar-mehta.com Business solutions leveraging technology Microsoft Most Valuable Professional (MVP) 2000-2004 In article <nildespera...

File SAVE AS ... use cell value as pasrt of name
It is possible to setup a macro to automatically save (SAVE AS) a workbook and use the value in a specific cell as part of the new file name. You could record a macro when you do a file|saveas and modify it slightly. I got this when I recorded one: ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:="C:\My Documents\excel\book2.xls", _ FileFormat:=xlNormal, Password:="", WriteResPassword:="", _ ReadOnlyRecommended:=False, CreateBackup:=False If I wanted to use Sheet1, A1 as the holder for the value: ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs _ Filename:="C:\My Do...

How to put a value in look up table
Hi all How to put a value in Look up table ?? -- Little Master ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Little Master's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28227 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=480497 Do you really mean put a value in a lookup table? Most questions around her ask about getting a value back from a lookup table. If I were using =vlookup(), the formula would look like: =vlookup(a1,sheet2!a:e,5,false) Debra Dalgleish's has some notes you may like: http://ww...

Carry the Value of a Hyperlink Cell to a location
We have a main worksheet which is a table that lists 2 letter stat codes as hyperlinks in one of 3 columns and then links out to a ne sheet. i was wondering if there was any way in some event code that i you click the state code for CO for example it would take you to th sheet like it is doing , BUT IN ADDITION carry the value CO to specific location say Sheet2!$A$2 so it could be part of an Index(Matc Statement I have set up -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Currently the Hyperlink takes you to cell A1 of the rating-non-sf worksheet. What I wanted to do in addition to tha...

Calandar invite for two days to choose from
Can I create a meeting invitation that recurs on Tuesday and Thursday, but the invitees can select one or the other that they want to attend? In other words, I'll be having the same meeting twice a week and some will attend one and some the other but I want it in one invite. Any thoughts? Thanks! "Amy" <Amy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6824F50D-8E5F-4DD0-826A-6C01547BB1D8@microsoft.com... > Can I create a meeting invitation that recurs on Tuesday and Thursday, but > the invitees can select one or the other that they want to attend?...

Choose Application?
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.0 (Cheetah) When I put the 2008 Update disk in my computer, the Installer window comes up. When I double click to start the installer, a message comes up to choose an application to open it with and I dont know what to do. All of the available applications it shows me are not opening it up. Help! That's your problem right there: "Mac OS X 10.0 (Cheetah)". Office 2008 requires OS X 10.4.9 (Tiger) or later... Have a look at the published System Requirements printed on the retail package or posted on the Mactopia web site Produc...

Difference between .text and .value property
Hi recently I was trying to create a userform where I was giving the valu of text box to a cell. The textbox value was more that 255 chars and used following method. range("A25").value = txtUpdate.value which then I tested I got a result as #Value error in the cell... I changed the code to range("A25").value = txtUpdate.text and it worked.... can somebody tell me the difference between the above 2.. Thanx in advance Keda -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

maximum rows custom list
Hi, I have about 2000 rows I want to add in a custom list in order to sort another column that contains 4000 rows. The problem is that the custom list only uses the first 180 rows or so. It seems like the maximum rows or items you can add to a custom list is 180. Does anybody know a solution to this problem.? p.s. already split the 2000 rows in 180 rows parts...this is tricky however...you tend to make mistakes... Please help, thanks in advance, Jootje Hi Jootie, A long custom list can be added programmatically. Try: '======================>> Public Sub Tester001() ...

Plotting XY with X text values? Credit ratings and their ROE values
Hi, I've got 100 companies with their associated credit ratings and ROE% for that year. I'd like to make bins and plot on the y axis the ROE for that particular rating. Any suggestions? ...

change cell values from an edit box
Is there any way to change a cell's value with an edit box? I've used drop down lists to change/update values, but I have no experience at all with edit boxes. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Mike ...

Multiple Values
Hi I a drop down box with the following values that the user can selet 1-4 5-8 9-12 In the next column I have a formula that converts the above into a number - so it can be used in a formula. =IF(H5= "1-4",4) How do I add to the above formula a condition that says if "5-8" is entered in H5 then the cell = 8 and if "9-12" is entered the cell = 12. I know how to right individual bits - but not combine them together. I hope this makes sense. Cheers, Phil Hi, This displays the final segment using "-" as the delimiter. Hope this is what you&#...

Resetting Cell Values
I currently have 2 columns that contain a group of number in each. A the bottom of each column, I have a formula that gets the sum of th numbers in each column and subtracts that total from a pre-determine number. Once that pre-determined number reaches 0, I want all of th numbers in the 2 columns to reset back to their original settin (BLANK). Is this possible using an IF Statement? Thanks for any help -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com I take it that this "predetermined" number is in some cell? How does it change? Manually? By formula? By code? You can't...

Unable to see updated values in CRM
I added some new values to a form and saved it but they don't show up in CRM. I'm probably missing a simple step and need to know what that step is. Any help is appreciated. ...

Choosing paper size
How do I put in the size paper I want for my printer in Excel 2000 with Windows xp? Our old computer had Windows 98. We transferred files from 1 hard drive to the other, but the green bar paper 14 1/2 x 11 is not an option. is there a way of putting in the paper size you want? What type of printer? (make, model) Dan E "Vicki Lenz" <bruce28@charter.net> wrote in message news:018401c35142$49ef0b40$a301280a@phx.gbl... > How do I put in the size paper I want for my > printer in Excel 2000 with Windows xp? Our > old computer had Windows 98. We transferred > file...

how to read values in this xml file?
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> <Project ToolsVersion="3.5" DefaultTargets="Build" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/developer/msbuild/2003"> <PropertyGroup> <ProductVersion>9.0.30729</ProductVersion> <SchemaVersion>2.0</SchemaVersion> <OutputType>WinExe</OutputType> <AppDesignerFolder>Properties</AppDesignerFolder> </PropertyGroup> </Project> I am using the following code to read the value in the <ProductVersion> tag ...