how many combinations in a list equal a certain total

I have a list of 479 rows. Column A is a product name, column B is cost. I
need to come up with every possible combination of pruducts that equals
$100.

For instance:
Product A    $100
Product B    $50
Product C    $38.72
Product D    $20
Product E    $30
Product F    $50

Possible answers are:
B+D+E
B+F
F+E+D

Each Product can be used only once so B+B wouldn't work.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help!

Sherrie

0
sb6633 (5)

Go to www.myweb.cableone.net/twodays
Download the "Find a numeric value" file.
--
Greeting from the Gulf Coast!
http://myweb.cableone.net/twodays
"Sherrie" <sb6633@sbc.com> wrote in message
> I have a list of 479 rows. Column A is a product name, column B is cost. I
> need to come up with every possible combination of pruducts that equals
> $100.
>
> For instance:
> Product A    $100
> Product B    $50
> Product C    $38.72
> Product D    $20
> Product E    $30
> Product F    $50
>
> Possible answers are:
> B+D+E
> B+F
> F+E+D
>
> Each Product can be used only once so B+B wouldn't work.
>
> PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help!
>
> Sherrie

0
twodays (259)
10/30/2003 5:38:14 PM
Note that that will find one combination - not all combinations (unless the
file has been changed recently).

--
Regards,
Tom Ogilvy

"Jim" <twodays@nospamcableone.net> wrote in message
> Go to www.myweb.cableone.net/twodays
> Download the "Find a numeric value" file.
> --
> Greeting from the Gulf Coast!
> http://myweb.cableone.net/twodays
> "Sherrie" <sb6633@sbc.com> wrote in message
> > I have a list of 479 rows. Column A is a product name, column B is cost.
> > need to come up with every possible combination of pruducts that equals
> > $100.
> >
> > For instance:
> > Product A    $100
> > Product B    $50
> > Product C    $38.72
> > Product D    $20
> > Product E    $30
> > Product F    $50
> >
> > Possible answers are:
> > B+D+E
> > B+F
> > F+E+D
> >
> > Each Product can be used only once so B+B wouldn't work.
> >
> > PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help!
> >
> > Sherrie

0
twogilvy (1078)
10/30/2003 5:48:43 PM
The file will find *one* solution, which may not be the first or the best
and the solution cannot be narrowed by applying criteria. It is a really
simple file that is one possible solution.

--
"Tom Ogilvy" <twogilvy@msn.com> wrote in message
> Note that that will find one combination - not all combinations (unless
the
> file has been changed recently).
>
> --
> Regards,
> Tom Ogilvy
>
> "Jim" <twodays@nospamcableone.net> wrote in message
> > Go to www.myweb.cableone.net/twodays
> > Download the "Find a numeric value" file.
> > --
> > Greeting from the Gulf Coast!
> > http://myweb.cableone.net/twodays
> > "Sherrie" <sb6633@sbc.com> wrote in message
> > > I have a list of 479 rows. Column A is a product name, column B is
cost.
> > > need to come up with every possible combination of pruducts that
equals
> > > $100.
> > >
> > > For instance:
> > > Product A    $100
> > > Product B    $50
> > > Product C    $38.72
> > > Product D    $20
> > > Product E    $30
> > > Product F    $50
> > >
> > > Possible answers are:
> > > B+D+E
> > > B+F
> > > F+E+D
> > >
> > > Each Product can be used only once so B+B wouldn't work.
> > >
> > > PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help!
> > >
> > > Sherrie

0
twodays (259)
10/30/2003 7:02:18 PM
There are 2^480 - 1  unique combinations to check.  As a point of
comparison, there are only 8,640,000 seconds in 100 years (slightly larger
then 2^23)  In otherwords, there isn't enough time to do an exhaustive
examination without even trying to look at the results.

You could come up with a list of Unique prices and reduce the number of rows
you need to examine.  (so in your example, any solution that contains a B
could be another solution by replacing B with F)

Regards,
Tom Ogilvy

"Sherrie" <sb6633@sbc.com> wrote in message
> I have a list of 479 rows. Column A is a product name, column B is cost. I
> need to come up with every possible combination of pruducts that equals
> $100.
>
> For instance:
> Product A    $100
> Product B    $50
> Product C    $38.72
> Product D    $20
> Product E    $30
> Product F    $50
>
> Possible answers are:
> B+D+E
> B+F
> F+E+D
>
> Each Product can be used only once so B+B wouldn't work.
>
> PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help!
>
> Sherrie

0
twogilvy (1078)
10/30/2003 7:42:32 PM
Is it possible to find ALL solutions? I'd need to be able to do that on a
daily basis for a list of 10 items.

> The file will find *one* solution, which may not be the first or the best
> and the solution cannot be narrowed by applying criteria. It is a really
> simple file that is one possible solution.
>
> --
> Greeting from the Gulf Coast!
> http://myweb.cableone.net/twodays
> "Tom Ogilvy" <twogilvy@msn.com> wrote in message
> > Note that that will find one combination - not all combinations (unless
> the
> > file has been changed recently).
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> > Tom Ogilvy
> >
> > "Jim" <twodays@nospamcableone.net> wrote in message
> > > Go to www.myweb.cableone.net/twodays
> > > Download the "Find a numeric value" file.
> > > --
> > > Greeting from the Gulf Coast!
> > > http://myweb.cableone.net/twodays
> > > "Sherrie" <sb6633@sbc.com> wrote in message
> cost.
> equals

0
sb6633 (5)
10/30/2003 8:04:11 PM
Actually, there are quite a few more than 8,640,000 seconds in a hundred
years, but who's counting?! <g>
60 seconds per minute, 60 minutes per hour, 24 hours per day, 365 (or so)
days per year.
=60*60*24*365*100
--
> There are 2^480 - 1  unique combinations to check.  As a point of
> comparison, there are only 8,640,000 seconds in 100 years (slightly larger
> then 2^23)  In otherwords, there isn't enough time to do an exhaustive
> examination without even trying to look at the results.
>
> You could come up with a list of Unique prices and reduce the number of
rows
> you need to examine.  (so in your example, any solution that contains a B
> could be another solution by replacing B with F)
>
> Regards,
> Tom Ogilvy
>

> "Sherrie" <sb6633@sbc.com> wrote in message
> > I have a list of 479 rows. Column A is a product name, column B is cost.
> > need to come up with every possible combination of pruducts that equals
> > $100.
> >
> > For instance:
> > Product A    $100
> > Product B    $50
> > Product C    $38.72
> > Product D    $20
> > Product E    $30
> > Product F    $50
> >
> > Possible answers are:
> > B+D+E
> > B+F
> > F+E+D
> >
> > Each Product can be used only once so B+B wouldn't work.
> >
> > PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help!
> >
> > Sherrie

0
twodays (259)
10/30/2003 8:22:42 PM
I don't think it's feasible to solve this problem. There are just too many combinations that
would have to be checked: just considering combinations of 1 to 4 items, there are more than
2.18 billion!

Why do you or your boss think this must be done? Maybe there's a *feasible* solution to your
problem.

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 10:32:54 -0600, "Sherrie" <sb6633@sbc.com> wrote:

>I have a list of 479 rows. Column A is a product name, column B is cost. I
>need to come up with every possible combination of pruducts that equals
>$100.
>
>For instance:
>Product A    $100
>Product B    $50
>Product C    $38.72
>Product D    $20
>Product E    $30
>Product F    $50
>
>Possible answers are:
>B+D+E
>B+F
>F+E+D
>
>Each Product can be used only once so B+B wouldn't work.
>
>PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help!
>
>Sherrie

0
myrnailarson (145)
10/30/2003 8:56:17 PM
Damn, your right, I left out the 365 in my formula (doh) - none the less,
there still isn't enough time - but isn't life so much like that <g>

--

> Actually, there are quite a few more than 8,640,000 seconds in a hundred
> years, but who's counting?! <g>
> 60 seconds per minute, 60 minutes per hour, 24 hours per day, 365 (or so)
> days per year.
> =60*60*24*365*100
> --
> Greeting from the Gulf Coast!
> http://myweb.cableone.net/twodays
> "Tom Ogilvy" <twogilvy@msn.com> wrote in message
> > There are 2^480 - 1  unique combinations to check.  As a point of
> > comparison, there are only 8,640,000 seconds in 100 years (slightly
larger
> > then 2^23)  In otherwords, there isn't enough time to do an exhaustive
> > examination without even trying to look at the results.
> >
> > You could come up with a list of Unique prices and reduce the number of
> rows
> > you need to examine.  (so in your example, any solution that contains a
> > could be another solution by replacing B with F)
> >
> > Regards,
> > Tom Ogilvy
> >

> > "Sherrie" <sb6633@sbc.com> wrote in message
> > > I have a list of 479 rows. Column A is a product name, column B is
cost.
> > > need to come up with every possible combination of pruducts that
equals
> > > $100.
> > >
> > > For instance:
> > > Product A    $100
> > > Product B    $50
> > > Product C    $38.72
> > > Product D    $20
> > > Product E    $30
> > > Product F    $50
> > >
> > > Possible answers are:
> > > B+D+E
> > > B+F
> > > F+E+D
> > >
> > > Each Product can be used only once so B+B wouldn't work.
> > >
> > > PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help!
> > >
> > > Sherrie

0
twogilvy (1078)
10/30/2003 9:55:34 PM
"Tom Ogilvy" wrote...
>There are 2^480 - 1  unique combinations to check.  As a point of
>comparison, there are only 8,640,000 seconds in 100 years (slightly larger
>then 2^23) . . .

Quibbles.

With 479 items, there are 2^479-1 combinations to check.

8,640,000 secons is 100 days, not years.

> . . . In otherwords, there isn't enough time to do an exhaustive
>examination without even trying to look at the results.
>
>You could come up with a list of Unique prices and reduce the number of rows
>you need to examine.  (so in your example, any solution that contains a B
>could be another solution by replacing B with F)

Add to those heuristics throwing out all individual items with prices over $100.
Also, for k = INT(100/MIN(PriceList)), k gives the largest cardinality
combinations that need to be checked. That means only 479 choose k combinations
to check. Still, this type of problem lacks practical means to achieve a
comprehensive solution.

--
Never attach files.
Snip unnecessary quoted text.
>Quibbles.

>With 479 items, there are 2^479-1 combinations to check.
Yes, don't know what I was thinking - thanks for the correction

>8,640,000 secons is 100 days, not years.
Already admitted to that one

Have to think about your maximum combinations  assertion - (not questioning
it) - thanks

--
Regards,
Tom Ogilvy

"Harlan Grove" <hrlngrv@aol.com> wrote in message
> "Tom Ogilvy" wrote...
> >There are 2^480 - 1  unique combinations to check.  As a point of
> >comparison, there are only 8,640,000 seconds in 100 years (slightly
larger
> >then 2^23) . . .
>
> Quibbles.
>
> With 479 items, there are 2^479-1 combinations to check.
>
> 8,640,000 secons is 100 days, not years.
>
> > . . . In otherwords, there isn't enough time to do an exhaustive
> >examination without even trying to look at the results.
> >
> >You could come up with a list of Unique prices and reduce the number of
rows
> >you need to examine.  (so in your example, any solution that contains a B
> >could be another solution by replacing B with F)
>
> Add to those heuristics throwing out all individual items with prices over
$100.
> Also, for k = INT(100/MIN(PriceList)), k gives the largest cardinality
> combinations that need to be checked. That means only 479 choose k
combinations
> to check. Still, this type of problem lacks practical means to achieve a
> comprehensive solution.
>
> --
> Never attach files.
> Snip unnecessary quoted text.
> Never multipost (though crossposting is usually OK).
> Don't change subject lines because it corrupts Google newsgroup archives.

0
twogilvy (1078)

combining 2 columns of data
hello my problem is i have a list of names (one column of first names, and one column of last names), my boss says we need to have the first and last names in the same column. Is there any way that the Data can be combined without having to retype all 5000 names?? You can write a formula in a new cell to combine cells. For instance if the first name is in A1 and the last name is in B1, you can write a formula in C1 like this: =A1&" "&B1 This joins the value of A1 with a space and the value of B1. If you need to you can arrange it to be last name comma first name: =B1&a...

To Do Bar Task List
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0019_01C722C8.2BB56420 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable If I recall correctly if I had a sub-folder in my task list then items = in these sub-folders did not appear on the OUTLOOK2003 TaskPad list. = This was either by default or I had somehow managed to filter them out. = On OUTLOOK2007, items in tasks sub-folders are included in the To Do Bar = Task List. I can't figure out a way to filter these items out. Any ideas? Thanks.=20 --=20 Greg Maxey/Wo...

Calculating only certain weekdays
Hello everyone, I have a spreadsheet that looks similar to this: Wed 1/1/2003 71 Thu 1/2/2003 204 Fri 1/3/2003 145 Sat 1/4/2003 60 Sun 1/5/2003 40 Mon 1/6/2003 203 Tue 1/7/2003 182 Wed 1/8/2003 228 Thu 1/9/2003 175 Fri 1/10/2003 149 Sat 1/11/2003 112 Sun 1/12/2003 125 Mon 1/13.2003 131 Tue 1/14/2003 139 Wed 1/15/2003 218 I want to get a mean (average) of all of the Wednesdays, then all of the Thursdays, and so forth. The spreadsheet has over a year's worth of entries, so I long ago reached the li...

PO not listed for Invoicing
We have a Drop-ship PO with status Released and Revision 0. We can view it under All Purchase Order Transaction window. But when we try to invoice it from eith View->Purchasing Lists window or POP window, it's not listed under the Vendor name. Any help is appreciated. Any chance already assigned to an Invoice Batch? -- Mick "ThongD" wrote: > We have a Drop-ship PO with status Released and Revision 0. We can view it > under All Purchase Order Transaction window. But when we try to invoice it > from eith View->Purchasing Lists window or POP window, it&...

category lists in public folders
Does anyone have a way of easily duplicating category lists in public folders to all users of the folder. jay ...

Combining publications?
I have several separate publisher files (publications) that I need to combine into one publication. They resulted from several catalog merges. 1. My first choice would be to insert them in their proper place in the main publication. 2. A second choice would be to concatenate them, adding each on until the publication is built, though this might take more preparation up front. Is there a way to do either of these things in Publisher? Failing either of these, I would try going back to catalog merge and letting it add to the publication directly. George M. Create new blank pages where yo...

Division on a totaled number
I have a worksheet where I have a column that has number of participants to attend a class, a column that has the length of class and then a column that has a formula to multiply the number of participants times the length to get a total amount of time trained (example 15 people in a one hour class is a total of 15 hours). The column with the total amount I have auto summed so I get a total number of hours for a month. I want to know take that total for the month and divide it so I know how many minutes that breaks down to. I can not get any formula to come out right for me. I know ...

"Too many different cell formats" error
Receiving this pop up error message when opening a .xls file. File will not open. Any suggestions on how to fix and save file? Hi Lorena XL: Error Message: Too Many Different Cell Formats http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;213904 David McRitchie posted this Leo Heuser posted a macro 2001-05-06 in programming as a very major revision of the macro in the eee007 article. http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=OxP9cgi1AHA.1572%40tkmsftngp02 -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2002 SP-2) www.rondebruin.nl "Lorena" <lorena.l.solano@convergys.com...

array/list
I have defined an CObarray class called CReference, which I've made serialisable. I'd like CReference to contain a list type varailble that contains a list of strings, So I thought I'd use the CStringList class. Thus my CReference looks like class CReference : public CObject { DECLARE_SERIAL(CReference) public: CStringList notesrefs; CStringList notesresources; CString title; ...... ...... } and my serialise looks like void CReference::Serialize(CArchive &ar) { CObject::Serialize(ar); if (ar.IsStoring()) { ar << notesrefs << notesresources << titl...

Advanced Filter Problem with Unique List
Ok, I've used Advanced Filter to created a unique list of City names. When the list is produced, the first city is always listed twice. The rest of the cities are unique. Has anyone ever experience this problem? I'm using Excel 2003. Please help !!!! Hi this normally happens when the column does not have a "heading" field, ie City. If you add a heading field into your data does it now work? -- Cheers JulieD check out www.hcts.net.au/tipsandtricks.htm ....well i'm working on it anyway "Faulk" <shane.faulkner@gmail.com> wrote in message news:111...

I need to combine a bubble chart and a line graph (Excel 2003)
I have a simple data set of: Column A: X axis Column B: Y axis Column C: Bubble width I have the bubble chart complete. Now, I want to plot the X/Y axis data as a line graph OVER the bubble chart to show the sequence of the data points from start to finish. Excel HELP is no help. Is there a way to make a second graph (the line graph), change the background to "transparent" and then copy it over the bubble graph? Or, is there a better way to get what I need? Thanks for any help! Bernard showed how to make one chart transparent in your other thread. I have a very simpli...

many-to-many relationships by Graham Mandeno
Hi to all, A couples of months ago I was looking for a good way to handle a many- to-many relationships. I finally found this sample db: http://www.accessmvp.com/KDSnell/SampleDBs.htm. It's simply great! Unfortunately it doesn't work in my case because instead of using just numeric ID to relate the table I'm make use of alphanumeric ID. In the previous: http://groups.google.it/group/microsoft.public.access.formscoding/browse_thread/thread/25f1941ea8428424/9d3fc99e39b80743?lnk=gst&q=riccifs+many#9d3fc99e39b80743 Graham told me that there was a way to give to the sample db this...

When forwarding an email how many recipients can I send it to?
I got an error response when I forwarded an email to many in my address book. It said, something about too many recipients. How many is too many? I set a 300 recipient limit to my Exchange users at work. This is set at my server level. Quote from http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA012002371033.aspx Many e-mail service providers set limits for the number of names that can be in the To, Cc, and Bcc fields in a message. For example, your e-mail service provider may limit each message to a maximum of 100 e-mail addresses. If these addresses can be distributed among the To, Cc, and ...

Too many clicks! Available formats box
Hello folks I have a client who is unhappy with the amount of clicks in Word 2007. One particular frustration is the Insert Date and Time Available Formats box. Is there anyway to get Word 2007 to just insert the default Date without the additional steps of the format box? I know to the average person, it's not a big deal but this user lives in a pressure cooker and needs the useability of Word 2007 to make things faster, not slower. Thanks for your suggestions! Bill Hole MCTS, SBSC Ask the client to add the Date & Time command to the Quick Access Toolbar ...

Should this be one to Many or Many to Many.. Relationship
Hi, New to Access learning... I have Table 1.. Publisher Table 2.. Books I was wondering .. Should I create Transient Third Table e.g. BooksPublisher.. Or Should I put PublisherID key AS Foreign key into Books Table ? which would be Practical E.g Books Publishers BooksNPublishers Pk BookID Pk PublisherID PK BookPublisherID Fk BookID ...

Convert list of pairs [a(i),b(i)] to table that shows # of occurrences of each pair
Given something like this: apple,jan apple,feb apple,mar apple,jan apple,feb orange,jan orange,feb orange,jan orange,feb banana,jan banana,feb banana,mar banana,jan banana,feb I'd like to create a table that has three rows (the fruits) and three columns (the months). At the intersection of each row and column I'd like the number of occurrences of that particular fruit-month pair. Thanks for your time. Tom Z. Tom, Assume your data is in the range A1:A14, and you have a grid starting in cell C1 that looks like: C D E F 1 jan feb mar 2 apple 3 orange 4 banana ...

Restricting Delivery of distribution lists
I want to restrict delivery to my distribution list to just the members of the list. Can I simply add the distro list to the Accept list, or will I have to add all of the individual members? Yes, that is all you need to do. -- Mark Fugatt Exchange MVP http://www.exchangetrainer.com http://www.msexchange.org "Tim Kowal" <tim@nospam.com> wrote in message news:17lyc.777$Lc2.523@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com... >I want to restrict delivery to my distribution list to just the members of > the list. Can I simply add the distro list to the Accept list, or will I > have to ...

Available Macro List
Is it possible through VBA to get a list of custom macros is the active workbook? Thanks in advance Hi see: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/vbe.htm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Alan wrote: > Is it possible through VBA to get a list of custom macros is the > active workbook? > > Thanks in advance ...

Using the Common Feed List in Excel
Is it possible to collect items from the Common Feed List (RSS feeds) generated by IE into Excel? I would like to screen a bunch of feeds from Craigslist and eBay and none of the readers I've tried seem to do it very well. TIA ed I have used the IE application with Excel to read 1000's of webpages. Depending on the Website it can be very simple, not so simple, or very complicated. Not all webpages are the same even though the make look similar. I don't know what you mean by "to do it very well". The code may not be simple. I would have to see the U...

Combination Charts #4
Hi I need to create a chart that: 1) tracks number of hours posted by different teams against dates 2) shows different phase of a development cycle against dates The first element is okay, we've managed to do that. A simple line graph showing each teams number of hours tracked against a date column. The 2nd element - what I want is columns, spanning across the dates, for the different phases. Any suggestions? Thanks Martin -- griolfc ------------------------------------------------------------------------ griolfc's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&...

Too many fields
I have a table and I think it is normalized based on other postings I have read. There are about 500 object<->value pairs, that needs to be tracked for 500 different objects on every single day of the year. And, all 500 objects should have a value for that day. Object 1-30 is about one topic, Object 31-60 is about another topic, etc. tblObjects, I have 500 records like this (pk) fldObjectID - autonum fldObjectName - Text 50 tblObjectValues, (pk) fldDate - Date/Time (pk) fldObjectID - (fk) to tblObjects fldObjectValue - integer Now, I want to show the 500 records of tblObjects ...

How to change Series order in a Combination Chart?
I have 3 series of data in my chart: 1st two series are in a Stacked Column chart 3rd series is a Clustered Column Chart They are in the order as follows: Series2 Series1 Series3 (Where Series 2 is stacked on top of Series 1) I want to change the series order now as follows: Series2 Series3 Series1 I tried right clicking on my chart and went into Format Data Series - Series Order and change the Series order there. Nothing happens. Why is this not working? And, how do I change the series? Please help. P.S. I have gone through Jon Peltier's example ...

Coutry list
Hi I need a list of Countries in alfabetical order to make a menu where I can pick up my choise. Any ideas whre to start looking? Thanks Kalevi Google it. >-----Original Message----- >Hi >I need a list of Countries in alfabetical order to make a menu where I can >pick up my choise. >Any ideas whre to start looking? >Thanks >Kalevi > > >. > This will take you to a list of the ISO Country Codes. These are the codes used to identify the origin of e-mail addresses, so all countries are listed. http://tinyurl.com/5tzj -- HTH, RD ===========================...

Using Macros to remove a name from a list
I own a small business with roughly 45 employees (mostly teenagers). There's lots of turnover. I've got a spreadsheet that I use to track tips according to the role and shift that our staff works. My manager has the ability to select the staff member who earned the tip from an in-cell drop down list (using DV). Here's my question. I want to make it really easy for my managers to add or delete staff members from the drop down list. I've created a separate worksheet with two sections: "add staff member" and "delete staff member". When they want to...

Too many many-to-many?
To all, I hope you can shed some light on this for me. I am using Access 2003. I have three main tables 1) Project 2) Contractor 3) Service (general contracting, soil testing, architecture, etc) I have two 'join' tables to create a m:m relationship between Projects and Contractors and Contractors and Services a) ProjectContractorJoin b) ContractorServiceJoin I would like to be able to create a form where I can select a project, then select one or more contractors, then select one or more services that each contractor could offer (and track when they start and end those services...