How import MSWorks spreadsheet to Excel

I am using Exel 2000 and want to impoort a spreadsheet from MSWorks, but I
can't seem to find out how. Can't these two MS programs talk to each other?
0
BillAtt (2)

No, they can't talk to each other.  It's a Microsoft marketing issue, they
don't want Works to compete with Office, so you have to do a "save as" in
Works.

"BillAtt" wrote:

> I am using Exel 2000 and want to impoort a spreadsheet from MSWorks, but I
> can't seem to find out how. Can't these two MS programs talk to each other?
0
dlw (166)
10/6/2005 4:13:04 PM
Thank you; I think that will help me.

"dlw" wrote:

> No, they can't talk to each other.  It's a Microsoft marketing issue, they
> don't want Works to compete with Office, so you have to do a "save as" in
> Works.
>
> "BillAtt" wrote:
>
> > I am using Exel 2000 and want to impoort a spreadsheet from MSWorks, but I
> > can't seem to find out how. Can't these two MS programs talk to each other?
0
BillAtt (2)

Excel automation to access a workbook
I want to utililze Excel Automation to obtain properties from an Excel workbook. Given path of the Excel workbook, how can I get the properties of a workbook without making the Excel application or the workbook visible. Then obviously close the Excel workbook and the Excel Object after I get the properties Any help with this would be appreciated Here is some code I am using. I need help getting it to work. When I run it, I get an error message "Run-time error '-2147417851 (80010105)' Method 'Open' of object 'Workbooks' failed" I am in a form in Acc...

Excel should allow chart axes to be set from sheet data.
I often chart account balances where I have x axis of dates and y axis of monetary amounts. It would be helpful if there was a facility to allow the x axis minimum and maximum to be set to some value as calculated from the data itself (or even calculated using a formula). I like to keep a "rolling" picture of the last three months (so, today()-90 to today()) and the next three months (today() to today() + 90) (on two separate charts). I have to manually update the x axis's minimum and maximum each day. you can set up formulas in cells to calculated your desired max/mins a...

How do I show hidden column and row headings in excel?
How can I display hidden column and row headings in excel? Excel displays only unhidden rows and columns, and their headings. But if you make the width or height small enough, it might still be possible to see the heading and not the data. However, this becomes more difficult as you move to column AB or row 101. "Mildred" <Mildred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D7D83F4B-289A-49A6-9057-23365EAFB300@microsoft.com... > How can I display hidden column and row headings in excel? ...

SOS! how do I run Excel without running the VBA in AUTO_OPEN?
Hi all, I am asking this for my friend. He has the following urgent problem. He put some VBA code into AUTO_OPEN (AUTO_RUN), basically it execute some other functions, and then automatically saves the closes out the Excel sheet. The problem now is that he wants to open that sheet to edit some stuff, now he's stuck -- whenever he opens the sheet, the sheet always auto- closes, and he had no way of operating it... What can he do? Is there a way to open a sheet without executing that AUTO_OPEN (AUTO_RUN) function? thanks a lot! Hold down the Shift key when ope...

export data from excel to adobe
If you have 2007, Microsoft has a free add-in that will add the ability to print to a file in .pdf format that works across all Office 2007 applications: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=4D951911-3E7E-4AE6-B059-A2E79ED87041&displaylang=en If you don't have 2007, then one of the easiest to use .pdf file creators is probably PDFCreator from SourceForge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/ it installs as a virtual printer on your system and when you wish to create a .pdf file you simply print to that virtual printer. Instead of a sheet of paper, y...

Large shared excel files
I have an excel file that I use to manage clients. I have 1067 clients. I have 8 people in my department that edit the file. I have another 200 staff that have read only access to the file. Most of the time the file is about 1.3 MB in size. However, on occassion the file gets very slow and swells to about 25 mb. When I go to "tools" "Shared Workspace" it will show everyone who is currently signed on to edit the file. Sometimes however, it shows the same guy on three times. When this happens, the file creates a tmp file in the directory. It seems to me that excel ...

Need access advise regarind linked versus imported tables
I have designed an application that uses a linked csv file as the main table. The reason for this is because another user creates this file and jsut puts it into a designated folder on their computer. Here is the issue. The csv file contains approximately 20K records. I cannot create any type of index on a linked file. Am I better off importing the file into access (or reading the linked table and inserting them into another table with an index)? Is there an easy way to perform something like this? Will this increase performance? I am pretty new to access and am looking for any and all...

accessing outlook data using excel macro
Hey all, I'm very new with all of this, however, my problem is this: I have a bunch of data in excel which I then want to compare to certain "task" fields in outlook (ie. the "Due Date" column in Tasks for example), then update those outlook fields with new data. I was able to do it in an Outlook macro, but not in the Excel macro. I get a "User defined type not defined" error when trying to define a namespace variable as "Outlook.Namespace" Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. ...

Remove file Protection from an Excel workbook file from others
I have an older excel file created by someone who is no longer with my company. I want to use that file as a starting point to created another file. The file is set up as "read only". If I try to change any of the cells, I get the message that the "cell or chart is protected and therefore read only" and further tells me to unprotect before attempting the change. When I got to tools/protection/Unprotect Sheet I get the request for a password. I don't know the password as the file was created by another. I have tried "save as", from tools making sur...

Linked Excel table
Hi, Hope someone can help me. I have weird printing problem that I can' seem to fix! Here's the story ... I am using Windows XP and Offic 2003. I link excel tables into a word document (paste special/as link) There is color font in the excel table. The color always appears on th screen, but disappears when I print it to pdf or printer, *but onl from certain PC's* Hence, the problem! I've compared the settings o Word and Excel between the PC that can print the colored text and th ones that cannot. To no avail. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Philomen -- Message posted f...

YAPTQ: Mixed data types in custom groups (Excel 2003)
Hello, I'm trying to get the following accomplished in Excel 2003: I have a column in a table that keeps track of how late a form was turned in. It can have an integer (for the number of days it was late) or one of several text strings ("On time," "Cannot determine," "Outside report dates.") I need to be able to generate the totals for: On time or within 7 days late, 8-15 days, More than 15 days Cannot determine Outside report dates It seems like it should be a straightforward procedure, where one can specify a range of numbers, or a list of values, but I ...

Cut and paste from Excel to Powerpoint
Hi If I'm copying a table from Excel to Powerpoint, I usually use Paste Special, then select Picture (Enhanced Metafile) to give me flexibility to edit later in Powerpoint. However, I find that if my table has more than about 15 columns, the 'pasted' version is truncated. If I select another paste option (eg Bitmap), the whole table is pasted, but this naturally reduces the quality and flexibility of the output. Does anyone know how I can ensure that the whole table is pasted, whilst retaining Enhanced Metafile format? Many thanks, O. --- Message posted from http://www.Exce...

Password Protecting Excel Sheet
Hi, Is it possible to create a password in order to get in to an excel file. When a user clicks on this file, they would be prompted for a password. I know how to password protect things once in the file, but I also want to lock anyone out who does not have a password. Thanks, Chuck Chuck, File/SaveAs In the upper right of the dialog box..... Tools/General Options. John "ChuckW" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0d4101c3db78$a3a1e340$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Hi, > > Is it possible to create a password in order to get in to > an ex...

Excell: Column Changes
The Excell program changed the Column labels from alpha characters to numbers. This makes it somewhat difficult to use formulas. Any ideas on how to changes back the numbers to alphabet characters ??? Tools|options|General Tab|Uncheck R1C1 reference style Doug wrote: > > The Excell program changed the Column labels from alpha characters to numbers. This makes it somewhat difficult to use formulas. Any ideas on how to changes back the numbers to alphabet characters ??? -- Dave Peterson ec35720@msn.com Tools -- Options. On the View tab, under Settings, uncheck R1C1 style. Rgds, And...

Linking to Excel from MS Project
I was wondering if there is a way so that I can link the Gant Chart (Picture) made in Project to a sheet in Excel... I know I can copy the image over and paste it into the sheet, but I wanted something that would be able to dynamically change on an update and I dont have to copy and paste all the time. Any help is appreciated. ...

QIF Import limit?
Having suffered a file corruption (Money 2002), I've exported all my accounts as QIF and am importing them to a fresh Money file. All the accounts import OK except 2 of them, which are my longest-standing and most important ones. The import simply stops when it has imported approximately 400 transactions. It stops without the usual "import complete" dialog. It's totally repeatable for each account. The QIF files themselves look OK (the import stops about 1/3 of the way through). Does anyone know of any inherent limit on importing QIF files? The only solution I could think...

Convert Excel to comma delimited text #3
Thank you! That did the trick. -- deacs ------------------------------------------------------------------------ deacs's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2321 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=266960 ...

How do I combine several sheets into one document in Excel?
As you did not specify otherwise I presume there is something like Shee 1 has rows 1 to 250, sheet 2 has rows 1 to 500, and sheet 3 has rows to 250 etc. To join those you would highlight and Copy the rows in sheet 2, then then in sheet 1 click in cell A251 and Paste, then repeat the proces for sheet three into cell A751 etc. If you wish to match-and-merge data on the same rows from columns i another sheet that could be more difficult -- Bryan Hesse ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Bryan Hessey's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?act...

running a macro in excel 2000
I have a workbook with a macro which was created in excel 97. However, when I retrieved this workbook in excel 2000,it doesn't display the prompt that we used to have in excel 97 whether we want to disable or enable the macro. Anyway,I want to have Excel 2000 run the macro. When I open the workbook it says that Visual Basic macro module is now edited in the VB editor, not the workbook. When I go to Tools menu, macro command, Project Window, modules and run it, it says that the macro is disabled. How can I enable the macro, so that when Excel opens the workbook, the macro wil...

Showing the percentage of a total in Excel
I would like to add a percentage to a figure but wish to show the amount added rather than the total. For example: $1000.00 + 25% = $250.00 At the moment I can only get the formula to show: $1000.00 + 25% = $1250.00 Any help would be much appreciated! So, how about =A1*.25? ******************* ~Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "jakeyboy" <jakeyboy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F9C22D37-5294-4FA2-8153-B2171EE05162@microsoft.com... > I would like to add a percentage to a figure but wish to show the amount > added rather than the total. > >...

How do i work out percentages using excel?
Could someone please tell me the formular to work out percentages using Excel? For example what 20% of £1.10 was. Hi Fern, Try "=1.10*.2" (remove quotes), and formatting the cell as percentage. You could also substitute the values above with cell references - if you enter the percentage value as a percentage, it will pick it up correctly. Hope this helps Sunil Jayakumar "Fern" <Fern@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D5FF910D-948E-4239-98D1-325157DB5F15@microsoft.com... > Could someone please tell me the formular to work out percentages ...

Restoring "Sized with Window" option in Excel 2007?
Who knows a trick to restore the "Sized with Window" option in Excel 2007, automatically resizing chart when size of window changes as in Excel 2003? There is no trick. It cannot be done at all. This capability was removed from Excel 2007. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services, Inc. http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/ _______ "Pim den Hartog" <Pim den Hartog@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A8C41604-3F04-4F16-AA32-E5A2B9884375@microsoft.com... > Who knows a trick to restore the "Sized with Window"...

Excel Workspaces
Hi, Lately I have been getting a popup dialogue box telling me the file may have been saved by another user -what do I want to do -overwrite changes or save a copy. It started while using a workspace to save several files -but I had been using this workspace in the past and never encountered this dialogue. Any ideas on what is going on? ( is it the result of individually saving one of the files while the workspace is open?) Thanks for any help... David S> ...

EXCEL #47
THE ONLY WAY I CAN OPEN A EXCEL FILE IS TO GO DIRECTLY TO EXCEL WORKBOOK SO I CAN LOOK AT IT OTHERWISE WHEN I TRY TO OPEN THE FILE IT COMES UP BLANK....HELP Hi W! Turn off your Caps Lock. Ut's considered rude (shouting) and is more difficult to read. Double clicking on files from within Explorer or attached to e-mails should cause Excel to start and to load the file. Often this fails. Excel starts but the file is not loaded. However, with Excel open the file may load with a normal double click and / or it can be opened from within Excel by the normal File > Open method. Mos...

Excel help needed
Hi, I am a new excel user and would appreciate any help on the following: In the active sheet of an excel workbook I want all cells of a column, lets say A, to have default value of '0'. Also, when someone is changing the value of a cell in this column, if the new value entered is 'less than or equal to' the existing value in the cell, the newly entered value should be rejected. How can this be done? thanks, rh ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelF...