How do I zip sort mailing list when I have 5 digit AND 9 digit zip

I have a mailing list with zips in XXXXX and XXXXX-XXXX all mixed in.  When I
sort them, it seems to put all the 5 digits on the top half and 9 digits on
the bottom half.  I have made sure the column settings are set to
special/zipcode.  I have also tried setting them as Zip Code + 4 but it
converts all the XXXXX versions to 0000X-XXXX.  What am I doing wrong?

Convert to TEXT

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel
"Greg" <Greg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> sort them, it seems to put all the 5 digits on the top half and 9 digits
> on
> the bottom half.  I have made sure the column settings are set to
> special/zipcode.  I have also tried setting them as Zip Code + 4 but it
> converts all the XXXXX versions to 0000X-XXXX.  What am I doing wrong?

0
Don

Zip code lookup
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I want to enter a zip code in sheet 1 column D and return a county name from sheet 2 to sheet 1 column E. Help! On 3/22/10 6:24 PM, pastortom@officeformac.com wrote: > Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: > Intel I want to enter a zip code in sheet 1 column D and return a county > name from sheet 2 to sheet 1 column E. Help! Assuming that you have table of county names and zip codes in sheet 2, then you simply need a hlookup formula in each cell of column E in...

outbound e-mail goes to outbox first
We have just had one of our computers serviced to 'close' a door that was open and loading us up with viruses. After bringing the cpu back and reconnecting, we went to e-mail and everything I send out goes to the outbox first and then I have to 'send/receive' from the outbox which is time consuming and annoying. Is there anyone out there that can give a 'not highly computer literate' person a helping hand? What version of Outlook? -- PATRICK REED [Outlook - MVP]~~~~~~ -Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) -Have you checked http://www.slipstick.com? -...

Mail Merge 12-16-09
Can I do a Mail Merge message from Outlook? With Outlook, sure. But not with Windows Mail (the subject of this newsgroup). "Michael" <Michael@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E224B24C-5D6E-416C-9146-E02EFFD8544B@microsoft.com... > Can I do a Mail Merge message from Outlook? ...

Match 2 different zip code lists
I have a large 42,000 list of US zip codes which each row (42,000 rows) has a zip code column, a counties column and states column that I want to match to a smaller 4,000 zip code list- with a zip code column & dollar amount column. Or even, use all the Illinois zip codes matched to a smaller IL zip codes list- so I can match same zip codes and corresponding county? Now, they are set up on separate workbooks or worksheets. thanks. Will123 wrote: > I have a large 42,000 list of US zip codes which each row (42,000 rows) has a > zip code column, a counties column and states ...

mail rules #3
After I eventually figured out how to send spam to my spam folder by useing specific words etc,I now find that all my incoming mail from Ebay is sent to the spam folder. I have double checked the word list and can find no connection, I have had to switch this function off for now but am getting all the junk again. Anybody got any ideas ??. Thanks. Lee ...

Display Excel list from vertical to horizontal
Hi, I would like to know the advanced Excel function or formula on how to display a list of data from vertical listing and be able to identify and display the next occurence of the same text, to be displayed horizontally for the return column. Here is an example: Sample data: Name Favourite colour John Smith Black John Smith Blue John Smith Orange Mary Singh Purple Sally Hansen Red Sally Hansen Green The layout I want to display is as follows: Name Favourite colour1 Favourite colour2 Favourite colour3 John Smit...

XP2003-E-MAIL
Trying to "DELETE" several empty folders under contacts. GO TO: E-MAIL FILE NEW MAIL MESSAGE UNTITLED MESSAGE (click) TO SHOW NAMES IN FOLDER CONTACTS (an empty folder) Sorry - we need more information than this terse post. Is it Outlook 2002 (XP) or 2003? Is your Outlook Address Book service installed? See Tools->Email Accounts->Directories. Have you marked your contact folders to be an Outlook Address Book? Right click on the contact folder, select properties then advanced. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussi...

Excessive e-mail size for just text, more info
When using Outlook 2000, using Word as the e-mail editor, writing a simple e-mail in HTML format with a few colors of text, the e-mail file size becomes either 32MB or 44MB in size. When the text is cut and pasted into Word, the file size is very small, when re-pasted into a new e-mail, the size increases again. Acting on an earlier response, I found the following... E-mail file size = 44Mb, yes Megabytes! Word Document (test.doc), size = 94.7 kb Word HTML (test.htm) file size is as follows: HTM file size = 23.7 kb support files in sub directory (3) size is editdata.mso = 46.7M...

stopping zipped attachments
How can I stop Outlook 2002 from automatically zipping any jpeg photos I attach to e-mail? ...

sorting range changes sum??? (excel)
Hi, this is probably simple to fix, but after googleing for a while, I still haven't found it. I have a formula on a worksheet that includes a sum of a range of data on another worksheet. When I sort the column of data on the other worksheet, the sum changes on the other 'report' worksheet as the range now contains different data. How can I get excel to sum the specific cells in the original range (short of selecting each cell with the ctrl key) and maintain focus on those cells, even after a sort might disperse them all over the column? Thanks, Rob sorting range changes sum??...

How do I zip sort mailing list when I have 5 digit AND 9 digit zip
I have a mailing list with zips in XXXXX and XXXXX-XXXX all mixed in. When I sort them, it seems to put all the 5 digits on the top half and 9 digits on the bottom half. I have made sure the column settings are set to special/zipcode. I have also tried setting them as Zip Code + 4 but it converts all the XXXXX versions to 0000X-XXXX. What am I doing wrong? Convert to TEXT -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett@gmail.com "Greg" <Greg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:97AB96D9-EAE6-4E6F-8AA1-1DE4137EDA06@microsoft.c...

SMTP Mail Problem
I am attempting to send an SMTP mail from my VB.NET program using the code below. The code compiles and runs fine executes with no errors, but I am sending to one of my alternate addresses and the e- mail is not arriving. I was thinking that if there was something fundamentally wrong with my host servername or credentials, that the SMTPClient class would throw an SMTPException, but it does not. According to Microsoft Outlook, my outgoing server does not require authentication, and sending e-mails from there works fine for me. Can anyone tell me what I am doing...

Outlook Mail Forwarding
I am trying to forward email from Outlook 2000 to an Internet email account. I have two accounts setup in Outlook POP-3 and Exchange. The email from the POP-3 acccount is forwarded but the Exchange email is not. Has anyone encountered this problem and waht is the possible fix? Fighting Scot <Fighting Scot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I am trying to forward email from Outlook 2000 to an Internet email > account. I have two accounts setup in Outlook POP-3 and Exchange. > The email from the POP-3 acccount is forwarded but the Exchange email > is not. Has anyone e...

Lose row when clicking sort
I sorted a list of data that does not have specific headers. I sorte it according to column F. Next, I tried to resort the sam data....without fail, row 1 always gets deselected when I click o data-sort. Any ideas? -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi "sowetoddid >" <<sowetoddid.165ybg@excelforum-nospam.com> , Then you must indicate that you do not have headers so that Excel will only sort what you want. That was probably not mentioned in the following but may be of interest. http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/sorting.htm --- HTH, David McRitch...

Missing import filter for Word! Like "WordPerfect 5.1 (UNIX)" ...
I'm missing much import filter on Office-Mac (specially WordPerfect 5.1 UNIX for Word.mac). Office 95/97/2000/XP for windows have much more useful import filter. Why all this filter are missing in Office.mac????? Or are all them included in an additional package????? Hi Dieter, This question has been answered over and over again in the Macintosh Word newsgroup. Take a gander in that newsgroup for your answer. Office does not ship with a converter because a converter has not been built that does a good job with converting. Details are here: http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/General/WordP...

e-mails never arrive
It's happened now a couple of times. People send me e-mails that I never get. The person phones me and says, "Did you get my e-mail?" My answer is "No." "OK, then I will resend it," they say. "When you get it give me a call." An hour later I call and say, "Uh, I didn't get it.Why don't you read me the e-mail address you have for me." After confirming that the e-mail address they are using is correct, I say, "Why don't you delete my e-mail address, reenter it, and then send me another e-mail." Thirty minutes lat...

Xpath and Sorting
How do I create an xpath expression to return a sorted nodelist? I need the sort to be by the attribute value. Example, If I have an xml list of names with "lastName" as an attribute <name lastName="Smith" /> <name lastName="Brown" /> i want to get back a sorted nodelist Dim NodeSorted as xmlNodeList=NodeNameList.SelectNodes("Name[@lastName=sorted"] or something to this effect -Lou Lou wrote: > How do I create an xpath expression to return a sorted nodelist? See <URL:http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/b2hhe5h7.aspx> fo...

Junk email #5
In Outlook 2002, Is there a way to automatically and permanently delete junk email without deleting then deleting from the delete folder? Press and hold SHIFT while pressing or clicking delete. Thank you. It works. Do you know if there a way to permanently delete what goes to the junk mail folder w/o having to actually click on it or highlight it? >-----Original Message----- >Press and hold SHIFT while pressing or clicking delete. >. > ...

Sorting in Pivot Tables
Please help. I have a pivot table that displays 07 data vs 08 data. 2007 2008 CATAGORY1 SUBCATAGORY SALES SALES SUBCATAGORY1 10000 9000 SUBCATAGORY2 0 500 SUBCATAGORY2 500 10 CATAGORY1 Total 10500 9510 SUBCATAGORY1 1000 6000 SUBCATAGORY2 20000 800 SUBCATAGORY2 50 0 CATAGORY2 Total 21050 6800 The above is exactly how it want to be displayed... first sort the main catagories by the totals of the 08 sales descending, then, within those, sort the subcatagories by the 08 sales descending. Everytim...

Job List in one workbook broken down to Account reps in another workbook.
I am wanting to find a way to update between two workbooks, one is a job number workbook that is constantly updated by 15 different people, the other is a job detail workbook that I want to track by account rep. There are 2 fields that are entered. The job number is an auto number field which is not manually entered. The two that are are the job description and the account rep. This list is very long, probably exceeding 4000 jobs per year. In another workbook I am tracking job detalis pertaining to the job number and tracking them by account reps. What I am looking to do in the second ...

Cannot attach zip files to email
All of a sudden I cannot attach a zip file to my emails. Installed a Microsoft automatic update yesterday for Windows XP. Did you "FIX" something? Using Outlook 2000 SR-1 with no real problems until now. Andy ...

New mail appearing as old deleted item
When new mail arrives in inbox an old long deleted item appears in place of the new mail showing in bold as new mail. The real new mail is not visible at all and is therefore lost. This problem also used to happen in Windows Mail so I bought Outlook 2007 but it still happens intermittantly. -- Kate What do you see in your Unread Mail folder? "Kate B" <KateB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D9A95DD7-CFC4-423F-9B2B-F8B72177E2CE@microsoft.com... > When new mail arrives in inbox an old long deleted item appears in place of > the new mail...

New account not listed in Net Worth
I upgraded to Money 2003 early this year and everything seemed OK but now I've started a new account for shares bought and although the account is listing in the Accounts List with the correct balance and also in the Investments Report, when I run "What I have now" the new account isn't listed. I tried again with a dummy account called Investment with a $10 balance and the same thing happened. Sorry if this subject has been covered before. Many thanks in advance. Lois. >Subject: New account not listed in Net Worth >From: "L & D" donalhudsonNOSPAM@o...

OWA 5.5 on Win 2K
Hi all, I have OWA 5.5 SP4 installed on Win 2K SP4 machine. Problem is every so often, once a day or twice a day, I get "Unexpected error. A trappable error (C0000005) occurred in an external object. The script cannot continue running.. " error and OWA stops working. After restarting IIS, OWA starts working again until it gets that warning. I tried to setup 3 different machines with 2 different MCSEs but same results. One said Outlook 2003 client might have something to do with this error. I couldn't take summer vacation because of this and hoping that I can take s...

Need help sorting linked cells.
I have a column of cells that are linked to cells from different place in the same spreadsheet. These cells contain golf scores. I want t be able to sort the column of linked cells in ascending order. How ca I do this -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com If your formulas are like: =sheet2!b33 I think you'll have trouble. You may want to try to put a key value in each row (golfer's name???) and then use a different formula to retrieve the value: =vlookup(a33,sheet2!a:b,2,false) Then sort. "NailBombJoe <" wrote: > > I have a column of cells that...