How do I use cond format formula to set cell text and color?

Using MS Excel 2003:

As and example, I entered into Conditional Format for cell B1:
"Formula is", IF(A1="","Test","").  For true condition, the format is set to
fill Yellow and font color red.

I'm expecting cell B1 to display, "Test" in red text with yellow background
when A1 is blank, but it does not work.  No errors are displayed.  Any ideas?

in my experience you can only set the format,you cant have the word test show
up.Apply the format condition only using =A1="" and put a seperate if
statement in the cell.If it blank test will be red
--
paul
remove nospam for email addy!

"sbwilliams" wrote:

> Using MS Excel 2003:
>
> As and example, I entered into Conditional Format for cell B1:
> "Formula is", IF(A1="","Test","").  For true condition, the format is set to
> fill Yellow and font color red.
>
> I'm expecting cell B1 to display, "Test" in red text with yellow background
> when A1 is blank, but it does not work.  No errors are displayed.  Any ideas?
On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 14:00:02 -0800, "sbwilliams"
<sbwilliams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Using MS Excel 2003:
>
>As and example, I entered into Conditional Format for cell B1:
>"Formula is", IF(A1="","Test","").  For true condition, the format is set to
>fill Yellow and font color red.
>
>I'm expecting cell B1 to display, "Test" in red text with yellow background
>when A1 is blank, but it does not work.  No errors are displayed.  Any ideas?

You're doing it wrong.

Put your formula in cell B1.

For your conditional format:

Cell Value Is  Equal To:  Test

--ron
0
ronrosenfeld (3122)
1/7/2006 10:54:07 PM
Hi

Your formula for B1 is fine.
For Conditional Format, all you require is  =A1=""

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"sbwilliams" <sbwilliams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Using MS Excel 2003:
>
> As and example, I entered into Conditional Format for cell B1:
> "Formula is", IF(A1="","Test","").  For true condition, the format is
> set to
> fill Yellow and font color red.
>
> I'm expecting cell B1 to display, "Test" in red text with yellow
> background
> when A1 is blank, but it does not work.  No errors are displayed.  Any
> ideas?

0
roger5293 (1125)
1/7/2006 10:57:01 PM
What if you change formula in B1's Formula Is to =A1 =""
Then, when A1 is blank B1 will adopt the yellow fill and red font
color.
Ken Johnson

0
KenCJohnson (314)

setting left and top at runtime
hi there i have been working with VB for some time, and just started with VC++ i was looking for some way to set the Left and Top position of a Static Text control also some help on online VC++ and MFC resources regards >i have been working with VB for some time, and just started >with VC++ > >i was looking for some way to set the Left and Top position >of a Static Text control Use MoveWindow or SetWindowPos Dave -- MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq Look into SetWindowPos function in MSDN...You should be able to change position of any window at run-time. - Parhar ...

HOW TO USE HYPERLINK within a droplist?

using forms

Paste as text not HTML
In WOrd 2007 one can FINALLY paste info from a web page as text as the default, not as HTML. Is this available in Excel 2007? I can't find it. -- Für Elise - Support the Breast Cancer & Heart Foundations ...

Formula Syntax
Hi Excel Forum, I believe the following formulas all find the MINIMUM value that is NO = zero (<>0) and produce the same results. I am unsure of their syntax Can you explain the syntax of the following formulas and th differences between them: =MIN(IF(A1:A20,A1:A20)) =MIN(IF(A1:A20<>0,A1:A20)) =MIN(IF(A1:A20<>0,A1:A20,"")) How does the first formula work and, if there is a zero 0 avoi returning a zero 0 without mentioning NOT = zero <>0? what are the quotation marks for and what do they do? When would it be preferable to use one syntax rather than anoth...

Using Spanish on Publisher

Printing Problems (cells printing on top of one another)
When printing cells are merged together like the they have been shifted up half a row height. This problem is restriced to one user on one system (Windows 2000 Pro and Office 2000). The problem is same on a single sheet workbook or a multi sheet workbook. The printer setting keep reverting back to 11 sheet tall by 1 sheet wide. This produces an unclear image through print preview. You can manually reset the default to 1 sheet wide by 1 sheet long which corrects the print preview but not the printed output. I avoid merged cells like the plague - full of problems. I guess that you ...

Formula staying as a formula in a cell?
Does anyone know why a formula stays a formula in a cell? I know that using the aspostrophe makes it like a string, like '=blah+blah, but this one doesn't...I even have made the cell General and made sure that calculate automatic was selected. This thing is driving me nuts. Any suggestions??? You can't just format the cell as general if it was text to start with. You need to format as general AND then hit F2 and then enter. the other possibility is that you have the Formulas view turned on in Tools / Options / View Tab / Uncheck Show Formulas in Window options. Ideally you...

Advanced E-mail options
I can't find anything googling for this so can anybody point me at a help source. When sending a message, if I select "Set Importance" or "Set Sensitivity" from the "Advanced E-mail Options" dialog, what do the categories mean and what do they do? For example what is the difference between "Private" and "Confidential" and what different effects do they have? Thanks -- (\__/) (='.'=) (")_(") I'll answer 1/2 about the importance function. If you set as High, the recipient gets a red exclamation mark in a c...

FormulaR1C1 using variables

Conditional Formating #18
Dear all, I would like to apply a conditional formating to fill with a red colour some Excel cells when the computer calendar gets some date, I would like to fill that cells when "best before date" of some pruducts gets that date with the computer calendar. Thanks a lot. Pedro Mestre One way: If cell A1 is active: CF1: Formula is =TODAY()>=A1 Format1: Patterns/red In article <13BD3AC5-9DFE-4C53-BA91-440BC506B82E@microsoft.com>, Pedro Mestre <PedroMestre@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Dear all, > > I would like to apply a condition...

how do you Create flashing Text
I am creating a newsletter and want one of the titles in the newsletter to flash or blink. How do I do this? Ask this here: http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.publisher.webdesign&cat=en_US_1845e149-582a-4e62-8d76-f1c90f948f44&lang=en&cr=US -- Mary Sauer MVP http://msauer.mvps.org/ "lukieguy22" <lukieguy22@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0E40D83D-8E98-40A7-ABE1-94307073C79E@microsoft.com... >I am creating a newsletter and want one of the titles in the newsletter to > flash ...

In Excel, how do I insert User Name (author) in a cell.
The function =CELL("filename",A1) returns a file name and sheet name in a cell. How can I obtain the User Name? You can write some VBA to do it. Sub Return_UserName() Sheets("sheet1").Range("A2").Value = Application.UserName End Sub -- Excel_Geek ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Excel_Geek's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=26423 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=398347 And to return just the filename (if you like) you can use this for...

Using XML with ASP.NET

Change range based on value of a cell
Hi all, I'm trying to do a COUNTIF, but want to change the range depending on a number somewhere else in the spreadsheet. For example, if the number is 3, I want to count from C1:G1, but if the number is 4 I want to count from D1:G1. I've used the address function to find out which cell I want to start from, and then concatenated that to the end point of the range (this never changes). So I'm left with a cell that contains the value of the range (C1:G1 or D1:G1) depending upon the number which is input above. Is it possible to use this cell, which contains the value C1:G1 to repl...

Using secured OMA

how to set automatic reply on vocation
In Outlook Express it was easy to set up an automatic reply during vocation time. Now in Win 7 and Windows Live mail, I could not find this option... May someone please tell me where it is, if it is available... -- Ilya Zeldes Fort Myers, Florida OE did not have a vacation reply function. Windows Live Mail is no different in that regard. You could set up a message rule to accomplish that, but it is not recommended because you'd have to leave the PC on 24/7, and any power interruption or Windows Update or error would cause that to malfunction. A better solution is to use ...

Compile error using CTypedPtrList

scatter plots using pivot table data

Using resources, how to ?

Recalc of SUM() that refers to a cell across a range of worksheets
I'm using Excel 2003 w/ SP2 and have encountered a problem I don't recall having before. I have a workbook where a summary sheet is used to aggregate the values in each of the cells in the rest of the sheets by using a formula with following syntax: =sum('sheet1:sheetx'!Cn), where "sheet1" is the name of the first sheet in the range of contiguous sheets, "sheetx" is the name of the last sheet in that range, "C" is the pertinent column letter for a cell (the columns in this workbook represent years) and "n" is the pertinent row numb...