how do I turn off an Automatic Scientific Format

Every Time i want to Enter some Text in to Excel it is automaticall
formatted as Scientific Text ..

IE: I enter in 5E1 amd Excel Automatically formats the number an
displays it as 5.00E+1  (50) and so on and so on for other code
further down that are 5E4, 5E5 etc ... am I able to turn off thi
Automatic Scientific Function that deems my codes are Exponentia
Formulas

Hi

not sure you can turn it off, but if you enter an apostraphe in front of the
values it won't think they're numbers.. e.g.
'5E1

alternatively, select where you are going to enter the codes (prior to
entering them) and format it as text (format / cells - text)

Cheers
JulieD

"BBLB >" <<BBLB.1agpnt@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> Every Time i want to Enter some Text in to Excel it is automatically
> formatted as Scientific Text ..
>
> IE: I enter in 5E1 amd Excel Automatically formats the number and
> displays it as 5.00E+1  (50) and so on and so on for other codes
> further down that are 5E4, 5E5 etc ... am I able to turn off this
> Automatic Scientific Function that deems my codes are Exponential
> Formulas ?
>

> ---

JulieD1 (2295)
8/4/2004 12:00:48 PM
sorry .. I should have put this in the original text ... I am pasting i
a whole lot of data from an extract off of an Internal Website, which i
12000 lines long .. I have tried formating the whole sheet as Plain Tex
and then pasting in and it still converts these codes ...

I have also tried using the paste special function and telling Excel t
paste the data in as text and it puts it all in to one column of cell
.. which is then not useable either ..

Thanks for your help tho .. I think I'll just try Extracting the dat
column by column and usethe paste special function .. which may take
wee while, but I'll presevere ..

Thanks for your help .

automatic column.autofit
I have a csv text file that I want to automatically open with column autofit. the text file is generated from a query to a remote database, so it cannot contain any code. pls advise mechanism. Igor CSV files are just plain ascii text files. They'll never contain code. So you could have a wrapper workbook that opens the .csv and does your formatting or you could do it manually. Igor Lisbaron wrote: > > I have a csv text file that I want to automatically open with column > autofit. > the text file is generated from a query to a remote database, so it cannot > contain ...

format detail field at runtime
i need to format a detail section bound textbox at runtime on a report. i tried using the condition formatting by entering IIf(InStr(Me.Result, "+") > 0, "positive", IIf(InStr(Me.Result, "-") > 0, "negative", Me.Result)) nothing changed also tried this in the deatil section Me.txtResult.Properties(40) = IIf(InStr(Me.Result, "+") > 0, "positive", IIf(InStr(Me.Result, "-") > 0, "negative", Me.Result)) but received an error msg. how is this accomplished? tia, mcnewsxp i fixed my undinding the...

What does it mean when the computer is 'archiving' automatically
My computer started archiving without my opting to do this? Is this a good thing? Your computer doesnt Archive, Outlook does "missprim" <missprim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:100E380F-4845-4796-9020-5F64193C248A@microsoft.com... > My computer started archiving without my opting to do this? Is this a > good > thing? ...

How do I automatically save an Excel Worksheet?
Anyone know if there is a way to automatically save an Excell Worksheet say every 5 minutes? I'm not refering to Auto Recovery. I need an actual save. -- Tony Download and install the AutoSafe Add-in by Jan Karel Pieterse: http://www.bmsltd.ie/MVP/Default.htm (note: Make sure you download AutoSafe.zip, not AutoSaveVBE.zip) In article <21FD75DF-E9A1-4B25-83B3-F8CFC0C5C29A@microsoft.com>, "Tony" <Tony@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Anyone know if there is a way to automatically save an Excell Worksheet say > every 5 minutes? I'm not referin...

reading pane keeps turning on and preview pane keeps turning off
I've been using outlook 2007 for about 6 months and all has been ok until now. My normal view is to have the reading pane turned off and the preview pane turned on. however, now things changed all of a sudden. now when ever I go to the inbox the reading pane is turned on and the preview pane is turned off. So I go to the view menu and reset the view to what it should be. if I click on any other folder such as sent items and back to the inbox, its back to reading pane on and preview pane off. This is the same behavior for all folders. any ideas how to resolve this? Thanks. -- ...

Contracts automatically cancelling
We are running Field Service Contract Administration version 9.0. Ever since upgrading from version 7.5, when we cancel the last or only contract line on a contract, the system automatically cancels the entire contract. I am told this was not the case in prior versions. Anyone know if this is by design now? Any way to keep this from happening? Thanks, -- Chris Bosse Applications Manager NSI ...

conditional formatting to highlight top score
I'm a newbie to this list so please forgive if already covered (though a search didn't find it). I have a list of top scorers in the premiership who's goals I update weekly. i want the table to show who is the top scorer this week by highlighting his name and score (just score would do). I then want to show the second and third top scoresrs. Ideally I would also like other seperate cells filled with the top scorer's name and price (also listed in orginal table) so that I effectively automatically build the week's top scoring team beside the original table. I have so far ...

Writing to a text file formatted as XML
Hi! I have a text file that looks like this: <configuration> <appSettings> <add key="db_server" value="someserver" /> <add key="db_database" value="somedatabase" /> </appSettings> </configuration> Now, I want to check if value for db_server is empty and if it is, I want to write the value. I am trying to use XmlTextWriter and XmlTextReader but being new to XML processing I don't know exactly how to do it. Can anyone help please? Regards, Kumar The easiest way would be to load the document in Xml...

Automatic Count
How do I get a record count afer I filter a column in Excel? Example: I have a list of 100 names and I filter out those who prefer phone contact versus e-mail countact. How do I get a count (a number) without manually counting each record that appears after the filter? Thank you, Frances Frances, have a look at subtotals in help, something like this should work, =SUBTOTAL(3,A2:A20) -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2002 & 2...

Toolbar for automatic series fill??
I have a customer who swears that in Ofc 2002, there was a toolbar that was used for automatic fill of alpha and numeric series, i.e. A, B, C and 1, 2, 3, so that he could type A in the first row and B would be entered automatically when he went to the next row. He has upgraded to Ofc 2003 and can't find the toolbar, and neither can I. Any ideas? Perhaps the customer had a custom designed toolbar along with some other VBA, but AFAIK there is no such default TB in any version of Excel. There is a Fill>Series dialog box in the Edit menu, but even it will only work with certain ac...

Lebans Report2PDF
First off, I want to express how much I appreciate this tool, and if I can't get around this issue it's not the end of the world. However I am having a small formatting issue I want to see if anyone has any suggestions for. I have a report that has three side by side sub- reports within it, each of which can grow. The middle sub-report has web addresses which I've formatted with underlines and colored blue to help the customer realize they can click on it to go straight to that page (which is really a function of their reader, but many customers wouldn't realize they could d...

Excell 2002
Hello, I've got a problem with formatting changes not updating in linked worksheets... Simply put, if you have a document that has a linked cell to another worksheet, the formatting ie...COLORS doesn't change when you chnge the source document with the linked document??? Yes, for instance text will be updated... but again, not formatting like making it BOLD or changing the colors of the text! Any ideas... I did see a KB article 1009182 regarding a problem linking WORD with Excel... but not Excel with Excel and the formatting no holding... it possibly is the case with Excel ...

Supress Scientific Numbers??
Hi ... Is there any way to get Excel to not display numbers in scientific format?? To force it to display 1.86E+08 as whatever the number really is?? Thanks, Sam Hi Sam Have a look at Format / Cells/ Number -- Michael Mitchelson "Sam" wrote: > Hi ... > > Is there any way to get Excel to not display numbers in scientific > format?? To force it to display 1.86E+08 as whatever the number really is?? > > Thanks, > > Sam > > > What "the number REALLY is"!!! if X=1.86e-3 then that is what x reallly is. The decimal sy...

How do you turn off autoformatting?
I am making a spreadsheet that is essentially a record. In one of the cells, I am entering the old/new values for something as 4/80, which Excel instantly turns into April-80. I can format the the cell back to General, but the number that results is not 4/80. And if I go in and reset it to 4/80 again, the autoformatting kicks in again and the whole process starts over. While there are plenty of ways I could work around this, from changing the way I enter the data on up, it has become a sort of matter of honor now. How the heck do I stop Excel from overriding everything I enter? -- nickt --...

Automatic control names
I feel stupid asking this question, but I can't find any previous posts about it. Is it possibe to set Access 2007 so that the forms wizard will name the controls properly? The default is to name the control with the field name of the data source, but it ignores the proper naming conventions (or at least what I was taught was the convention). A textbox should be named "txtFirstName", but instead it just names it "FirstName", which then requires us to have to go through and manually rename all the controls. I suppose that a VBA routine can be written, but af...

Account register- Automatic Catagories?
Hi all: I have a question about the account register...just started using my Money 2002 again. When I download account activity from my checking account, there is quite a bit of information already in each trasaction. Then I try and clean up the month's transactions, and when I change one transaction, Money automatically updates a whole bunch (almost all) of others. So, if I change one transaction payee to "Gas Station," all of the sudden a bunch of debits from the grocery store become "Gas Station" purchases as well. Is there some sort of automatic codin...

get the curser to automatically return
How do I get the curser to automatically return to my starting column (example I’m in A1 and move to C1 enter and the curser will not go back to A2 only up, down, left, right ). Is there a way to set this up so it will return to your starting point? Charles -- Charles Charles Start in A1 then TAB across to C1. When leaving C1 hit ENTER key to drop down to A2. Using this method you will always return to original column and down one row. Another method is to unprotect columns A to C then protect the worksheet. TAB will move you across to C then back to A down one row. Gord Dibben E...

conditional formatting......
I am looking for the easiest way to create a conditional formattin formula for roughly 1000 rows, and 12 columns. What I want is if an values are an exact duplicate to highlight all cells that are a match Im sorry if I didn't explain, well enough if you have any question please let me know. Thanks for your hel -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Try this page of Chip Pearson's http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm#HighlightingDuplicates -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefi...

Hour format
I'm trying to format cells in excel 2007 with the hh:mm format and keep getting a date / time show in the function line and the wrong time in the cell. e.g. format cell - time - custom - hh:mm type in 12.15 and cell shows 03.36 function line shows 12/01/1900 03:36:00AM Never had this before and used this format option many times. Any help greatly appreciated Hi tafexpert, You need to input 12:15, not 12.15. The custom format only affects the way the data are displayed. You still need to input the time in a valid time format. Cheers -- macropod [MVP - Microsoft Word] -----------...

Automatic bill pay
I bought Quicken, and no longer have on-line access through Money. In Money, I used automatic bill pay (i.e., CheckFree, I presume) to pay my mortgage. * Do I have to call CheckFree to cancel the automatic bill pay? * Does Quicken have a free version of automatic bill pay like Money does? ...

Date formatting #7
I need to find a way to format a set of date as the 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc s it will look like this - 1st December 2002 not 01 December 2002. I cannot find a way to do this but i know excel recognises thi format. Please help -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi YetAnotherAndy! AFAIK Excel doesn't recognise that format. You can apply the following to a date in A1: =DAY(A1)&IF(AND(MOD(DAY(A1),100)>=10,MOD(DAY(A1),100)<=14),"th",CHOOSE (MOD(DAY(A1),10)+1,"th","st","nd","rd","th","th","th&quo...

automatically forward mail
I want to be able to automatically forwardan e-mail message to another mailbox not on our server. For example, when I get a message at work using Microsoft Exchange 2003 and Outlook 2003, I also want a copy of that message sent to my home mail. I think you have to configure the exchange server to deliver mail to my mailbox and then forward it on to my home address. I can do this manually, but I can't do it automatically. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks crane You can set up a rule to do this, but it would only automatically forward the mail when outlook is running. If your PC at w...

Automatic Quote Numbering
Hello, I am looking to develop a sales quote template that automaticall updates each time I open the file and create a new quote by INCREASIN the quote number by 1. For example, if the last quote I wrote is #233 the next time I open the file, it should be #234 automatically, and th next time #235 etc. Can I do this is Word or Excel? If so, can you please clearly explai how? Thanks -- Ron ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Roni's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=283 View this thread: http://www.msusenet.com/t-187057425 Hi, Roni....

formatting textboxes from VBA to display those with data
Hi, I have a simple access report that prints data based on a query. I have 6 bound textboxes tied to the fields from this query. My issue is: I am trying to avoid displaying the textboxes when there is no value for them in the database. These are basically dates and some of them don't have any data in them. I want to avoid displaying such textboxes. So in the detail section's on-print event I wrote the following code thinking that I will accomplish this task. I can see the values in the debugger but not when the report has finished printing on the screen? - the textboxes don&#...