how do i superscript part of a cell in MS Excel? #2

When I use the superscript option after selecting just a portion of the cell,
the superscript appears during edit mode only.  How do I get it so it appears
as superscript on the spreadsheet or when printing?  Again, I'm only trying
to superscript part of a cell's contents, not the entire cell.

Did you hit enter have you applied the format change?

And you can't do this kind of formatting to formulas or real numbers.

It has to be text.

If you do this a lot...

John Walkenbach has a helpful addin that you may like:
http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/files/supersub.htm

--

Dave Peterson
0

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> Did you hit enter have you applied the format change?
>
> And you can't do this kind of formatting to formulas or real numbers.
>
> It has to be text.
>
> If you do this a lot...
>
> John Walkenbach has a helpful addin that you may like:
> http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/files/supersub.htm
>
> allan wrote:
> >
> > When I use the superscript option after selecting just a portion of the cell,
> > the superscript appears during edit mode only.  How do I get it so it appears
> > as superscript on the spreadsheet or when printing?  Again, I'm only trying
> > to superscript part of a cell's contents, not the entire cell.
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
Allan (61)
7/13/2005 9:24:04 PM
What's in the cell?

What character in that string are you trying to make a superscript?

What font are you using (for all the string or for that character)?

What version of excel are you using?

I've never had any trouble with plain old text (but that doesn't help you).

--

Dave Peterson
0
petersod (12004)
7/14/2005 2:01:16 AM
Thanks, againl, for your advice.  I have written "Land (1)" in the cell since
I can't superscript.  I would like to have something like Landa, with the "a"
super script.  I've tried it as part of a string and seperately, with no
success.  I'm using MS Excel 2003, and I'm not sure why I'm having these
problems.  I know I've done superscript using (format, cells, font, effects)
in an earlier version of Excel I have at home.  It doesn't seem to work with
numbers, symbols, or letters on my particular system at work, which should be
a far better system than I have at home.  I'm just using plain, old, regular
Arial font- nothing fancy.  It's a very standard document/sheet.
Again, the superscript does appear while in "edit" mode (double click, F2),
but it disappears once I disengage that (enter, tab, green check).  It does
remember, however, that it's there because it's still superscripted each time
I return to edit mode on that particular cell.  I've resorted to using the
(X) in the meantime.  I did download and use the add-in you recommended, but
it did the same thing (superscripted only in edit mode).  Thanks for your
help.  It may just be the system I'm on, though I'm not exactly sure why.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> What's in the cell?
>
> What character in that string are you trying to make a superscript?
>
> What font are you using (for all the string or for that character)?
>
> What version of excel are you using?
>
> I've never had any trouble with plain old text (but that doesn't help you).
>
> allan wrote:
> >
> > I hit enter and it went to being "non-superscript," even though it appears as
> > superscript in the edit mode.  I am trying to do this with text.  The format
> > cells window show it as being formatted with a square or circle, rather than
> > the checkmark when I look at the particular cell.  Thank you for the advice.
> >
> > "Dave Peterson" wrote:
> >
> > > Did you hit enter have you applied the format change?
> > >
> > > And you can't do this kind of formatting to formulas or real numbers.
> > >
> > > It has to be text.
> > >
> > > If you do this a lot...
> > >
> > > John Walkenbach has a helpful addin that you may like:
> > > http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/files/supersub.htm

> > > --
> > >
> > > Dave Peterson
> > >

> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
Allan (61)
7/14/2005 8:18:07 PM
Dave, sorry about all the trouble.  I was using data that someone else had
sent to me and I was modifying into financial statements.  I'm not sure
exactly what formatting they had applied to the affected cells, but I did
(edit, clear, format) and I was able to do superscripts again.  Thanks so
much for your help!

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> What's in the cell?
>
> What character in that string are you trying to make a superscript?
>
> What font are you using (for all the string or for that character)?
>
> What version of excel are you using?
>
> I've never had any trouble with plain old text (but that doesn't help you).
>
> allan wrote:
> >
> > I hit enter and it went to being "non-superscript," even though it appears as
> > superscript in the edit mode.  I am trying to do this with text.  The format
> > cells window show it as being formatted with a square or circle, rather than
> > the checkmark when I look at the particular cell.  Thank you for the advice.
> >
> > "Dave Peterson" wrote:
> >
> > > Did you hit enter have you applied the format change?
> > >
> > > And you can't do this kind of formatting to formulas or real numbers.
> > >
> > > It has to be text.
> > >
> > > If you do this a lot...
> > >
> > > John Walkenbach has a helpful addin that you may like:
> > > http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/files/supersub.htm

> > > --
> > >
> > > Dave Peterson
> > >

> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
Allan (61)
7/14/2005 9:05:04 PM
Thanks for posting back.

If you find out what they did, post back (I don't have a guess).

--

Dave Peterson
0

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> Thanks for posting back.
>
> If you find out what they did, post back (I don't have a guess).
>
> allan wrote:
> >
> > Dave, sorry about all the trouble.  I was using data that someone else had
> > sent to me and I was modifying into financial statements.  I'm not sure
> > exactly what formatting they had applied to the affected cells, but I did
> > (edit, clear, format) and I was able to do superscripts again.  Thanks so
> > much for your help!
> >
> > "Dave Peterson" wrote:
> >
> > > What's in the cell?
> > >
> > > What character in that string are you trying to make a superscript?
> > >
> > > What font are you using (for all the string or for that character)?
> > >
> > > What version of excel are you using?
> > >
> > > I've never had any trouble with plain old text (but that doesn't help you).

> > > --
> > >
> > > Dave Peterson
> > >

> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
Allan (61)
7/20/2005 9:17:03 PM
No problem.  I just chalk it up to magic.  (a very big category!)

--

Dave Peterson
0

Datagrid Cell Locked
Hi: I have developed an app that has sevearl data grids on different forms. They all were working. One grid has several columns with most locked and the operator can only change the data in one column. (that one column is not "locked"). The form has worked for weeks, but now (I don't know why), the operator cannot enter the cell...it is as if the cell is locked. I have gone to the grid (in the developement environment) and insured that the column is not locked. I have also added a line of programming to the refresh action: "me.grddaily.columns(5).locke...

Checking for merged cells
Is there a way in VBA to loop through a range, check if any of the cells are formatted as merged cells and if so, display a message? Thanks. Hi, Like this maybe Sub MergedCells() Dim c As Range For Each c In ActiveSheet.UsedRange If c.MergeCells Then MsgBox c.Address & " is merged" End If Next End Sub -- Mike When competing hypotheses are otherwise equal, adopt the hypothesis that introduces the fewest assumptions while still sufficiently answering the question. "dhstein" wrote: > Is there a ...

superscript
Hi, I am trying to design a formula that concatenates in cell A3 th content of cells A1 and A2 together, and by displaying the content o cell A2 in superscript. This has to be done through a formula, as want it to be dynamic, and be able to copy elsewhere in the worksheet. A1 = CAR A2 = (blue) A3 should return CAR(blue), but the "(blue)" must be superscript. P.S. I know this could be done by creating a custom function (usin VB), but I would prefer doing it using standard Excel functions -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com It can't be done with either built-i...

Drop Down in Cell?
I have a spreadsheet I created a while ago. It has cells with drop down lists... i.e., when in the cell, it shows a down-arrow/chevron to the right of the cell. Clicking on the down arrow gives a list of items to select from... based on the selection, other cells receive data from look-up tables. How did I create the drop down list in the cell? The cell has no formula, etc... just the behavior of the drop down. I can't remember how I did this.. Please help! Thanks MS Hi Martin Data > Validation. See De bra's page http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal01.html on this. -- HTH...

Superscript #2
Is it possible to show supersript in a text entry in excel for example the symbol for H2O or Cubic metres - m3?? TIA Mick Type H20 in cell With mouse, select the 2 Use Format|Cell and open Font tab Click in the subscript box Similar steps work for m3. But for squared and cubed you can also: A)Type m; hold ALT and type 179 on numeric keypad to get m^3. B) Type cm; hold ALT type 0178 om numeric keypad to get cm^2 Best wishes -- Bernard Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove CAPS in e-mail address "MGT" <no1@nospam.com> wrote in message news:cch0ht$cl9$1@news7.svr.po...

Hyperlink via indirect cell reference

Problems with cell references
I have just updated to EXCEL 2003 and i have a large EXCEL2000 file. It has loaded ok, but, everytime I copy the cell reference changes (from ABCD for Columns and 1234 for rows, to R1C1 format i.e 1234 for both columns and rows) This changes all my formulas !!! I then have to go into options and unselect the R1C1 tick box. This chages it all back to ABCD etc Question is how do I keep normal references permantently I have tried selecting all sheets going to options and unselecting the tick box, then saving. This doesntseems to work ! Any suggestions Yours in frustration Paul Hi Pau...

tabs inside a tab #2
hi, i have a tabbed dialog, in which on one of the tabs i intend to added to have sub-tabs. which is the best way to add tabs can we use CPropertysheet and property pages or should I go with CTabCtrl. Thanks in advance, Chandra ...

How to flag a cell if it contains any highlighting
Hello - i am trying to generate an if statement that will produce the word "yes" if the cell to the left of it contains any highlighting at all. 99% of the cells that i am trying to flag contain yellow highlighting, fyi. So, for example, the formula in I2 I am trying to write will say, "if h2 contains yellow highlighting" then display "yes". If not, display nothing. Thanks for any suggestions, or workarounds that may produce the same outcome. How did the cells become highlighted in yellow? Manually or by Conditional formatting? If by CF, construct formula...

Error 8108 #2
Source: MSADC Category: Service Controller Event ID: 8108 Description: The initialization process failed. This error is running every 5 minutes on our DC. Anyone have any ideas? I checked TechNet article Q317210 and it didn't pertain at all to our situation. We have no child domains, we're running in AD mixed mode, and all of our Exchange servers are enterprise edition, not standard as mentioned in the article. Hi Jim, Is there Exchange 5.5 or ADC running in your org? This error event may caused by ADC replication. So please temporarily step ADC and then check the issue again....

Can you change the way quick parts and/or auto text displays?
Is there a way to change the look of the drop down menu for quick parts and auto text so it does not take up so much space? Something like it looked in 2003? Assuming that you have discovered the building block organizer - see http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Buiild_Employ_Custom_BB_Gallery.htm Like 2003 it ain't! -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><<&...

Can not run Macro written in Excel 2003 on Excel 2002
Hi all, I have recorded the following Macro .... Sub Paste_TSR() ' ' Paste_TSR Macro ' Macro recorded 27/01/2005 by WayneF ' ' Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteColumnWidths, Operation:=xlNone, _ SkipBlanks:=False, Transpose:=False Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteFormats, Operation:=xlNone, _ SkipBlanks:=False, Transpose:=False Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues, Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks _ :=False, Transpose:=False End Sub Basically it just paste's the clip board content's to the given posit...

Trying to find out which numbers occure most often #2
I�m giving exams to students and want to see if the students are missin the same questions in every class. I have a simple spreadsheet tha has me enter the question number into the column each time a questio is missed. The MODE function can tell me which number is occurrin most often. However, I need to see if there is any other numbers tha are occurring often as well. Is there a command that will allow me to look at the second mos entered number? For example, if I have 5,3,3,2,3,4,3,4,1,3,4, my mod would be 3 as that�s the number that repeats the most. However, happens 3 times and that...

How do I keep Publisher from cutting off part of a border?
Publisher keeps cutting off the bottom and side border when I print (depending on what type of set up I have). Right now I'm trying to print postcards (Avery 3380), 4 postcards to a page and it keeps cutting off the border on the right side. skmarshall <skmarshall@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > Publisher keeps cutting off the bottom and side border when I print > (depending on what type of set up I have). Right now I'm trying to > print postcards (Avery 3380), 4 postcards to a page and it keeps > cutting off the border on the ri...

command buttons #2
hey, I have a workbook with command buttons on every sheet. The buttons function fine.... however as soon as I share the workbook over a network, they stop working. Im aware that macros cannot be viewed or edited in a shared workbook... however, the workbook will function fine on TWO computers in my office, but none of the others... I have no protection applied, change history is ON, and it is shared in a folder on the network. Any ideas of this paranorma? Maybe the others have their security set too high (and have macros disabled)??? Tools|macro|security|Security tab (for xl2002) ca...

Excel 2003 on Windows ME??
Will Excel 2003 run on Windows ME? -- Sarah Hi Sarah, I have never tried, but not according to MSKB Article # 822129 (System requirements for Office 2003): http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822129/ --- Regards, Norman "Sarah" <s.oriley@@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message news:%23Slr%23LReFHA.3616@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Will Excel 2003 run on Windows ME? > > -- > Sarah > "Norman Jones" <normanjones@whereforartthou.com> wrote in message news:eFcgZgReFHA.2548@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Hi Sarah, > > I have never ...

Display in linked cell is not identical to source cell.
Is there a formula that will link target cells in one worksheet to be reproduced EXACTLY as the source cells are displayed in another worksheet? Problem: If I use a srikeout font in the source cell - it does not appear as a strikeout in the linked target cell. Thanks Dave; but, either I don't understand or I was not clear in explaining the problem. I maintain 3 spread sheets representing 6th, 7th, 8th graders. I use a 4th worksheet as a "master" linking the other 3. Updating data on a 6th grader, for example, automatically updates the master. Sometimes, a studen...

How do I insert borders in every cell in a column
Please help Thanks Steve Select your range and click on the border drop down icon in the menu and select your desire border style. "Steve" wrote: > > > Please help > Thanks Steve ...

How to count cells
Hi, I want to put a summary of Job orders in a table. (Excel (Zip) file attached) I am having a problem of total. I want to make a total of only approved job orders not the all job orders. Also if the column contains hot / cold type, I need red and bold for hot job order of complete row. Also I want to be counted by job type and entity. For example, in the total approved 7 permits, CONST entity 3 cold jobs and 1 hot job. how can i display in the abstract table. Can anyone help me please. +-------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: count.zip ...

Macro to Save File with the name in a specified cell
I'm sure this has been answered before but I can't find it. I wish t write a macro that will save a workbook (which was loaded as template) as a file named with the name which appears in cell A1. :cool -- ElsiePO ----------------------------------------------------------------------- ElsiePOA's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=390 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27018 Activeworkbook.SaveAs Filenmae:=Range("A1").Value & ".xls" -- HTH RP "ElsiePOA" <ElsieP...

2 part question on averaging
Hi, I have the formula =SUM(G34:V34)/COUNTIF(G34:V34,"<>0") Which does a great job averaging the data as long as there is a numeric value in one of the cells. However, if there are no numbers I get a div/o error. Is there a fix to that? Question 2; Is there a way to average say the 5 highest values in the G34:V34 row? -- Geo =IF(SUM(G34:V34)=0,"",SUM(G34:V34)/COUNTIF(G34:V34,"<>0")) and =AVERAGE(LARGE(G34:V34,{1,2,3,4,5})) -- HTH ------- Bob Phillips "Geo" <Geo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B2C406...

superscript
Is there any way to add a superscript to a cell that has a formula in it? Thanks. Basically no.. There are some workarounds. I would use a help cell and make it small and insert superscript there. Assume the formula is in A2, create a new B2, left align the value and enter the superscript. Assume you want superscript 2 Hold down alt while typing 0178 on the numpad, release the alt key.. Regards, Peo Sjoblom >-----Original Message----- >Is there any way to add a superscript to a cell that has a >formula in it? Thanks. >. > In general No but what is the formula? Bernar...

MTA Service #2
We run Exchange 2003 on a Windows 2003 server. As far as I am aware the MTA Stack service on 2003 is not required. This is just a throwback to 5.5. We do not have the Exchange MTA Stacks service running because of this but I keep getting event id 2000's. Event Type: Warning Event Source: MSExchangeIS Mailbox Store Event Category: MTA Connections Event ID: 2000 Date: 28/10/2005 Time: 10:16:29 User: N/A Computer: BCMAIL01 Description: Verify that the Microsoft Exchange MTA service has started. Consecutive ma-open calls are failing with error 3051. For more information, click http:/...

change parts of title automatically
I have a title on my chart and I would like it to automatically change a number that comes from a worksheet when new data is added. Is this possible? For example if my sample of data includes 45 people I want it to read N=45 but would like that to automatically change as new people are added. Hi select the title box of your sheet and enter the 'equation sign: =' Now select the cell with the value -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Suzanne wrote: > I have a title on my chart and I would like it to > automatically change a number that comes from a worksheet >...

date and time in 2 cells to create subtraction in 3rd
I have 2 cells that are in the format line of A1: 27/06/2006 9:42:00 pm B1: 7/06/2006 9:52:05 pm Want third column C1: 00:10 I wish to subtract the two cells to get the difference in time i.e 10:00 (only interested in nearest minute) Then a average at the end of the column of the the times in this 3rd column as a result of the difference between the 2 times. How would I do this? I could do it if it was just numbers but once it is in this time/dtae format I am completely lost! Thanks MIke Hi Mike, =MOD(B1,1)-MOD(A1,1) Format as Time You can use the AVERAGE function on the ...